Thread: Need Advice: Property Tax.

Default Need Advice: Property Tax.

Hi all. Hope you can enlighten me if this is feasible. Thank you.

I hv 2 propeties:

Property A: Annual Value $22,000. Bought Nov 2012. Paying 10% property tax(both 2012 & 2013). Currently own stay.

Property B: Annual Value $40,000. Bought 2004. Paying owner-occupier rates till Feb 2013 when we found a tenant.

My question is can I ask for owner-occupier rates for property A starting from Nov 2012 and claim property tax refund for property B starting from Nov 2012 as was vacant looking for tenant?

Thanks again for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by may2012

I hv 2 propeties:

Property A: Annual Value $22,000. Bought Nov 2012. Paying 10% property tax(both 2012 & 2013). Currently own stay.

Property B: Annual Value $40,000. Bought 2004. Paying owner-occupier rates till Feb 2013 when we found a tenant.

My question is can I ask for owner-occupier rates for property A starting from Nov 2012 and claim property tax refund for property B starting from Nov 2012 as was vacant looking for tenant?

interesting

you are staying in one that has a lower AV and renting one that has a higher AV

and you want to 'switch' when calculating prop tax ?

i dunno can or not but i dont think so

how much can you save ?
    if little, don't waste so much time..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    how much can you save ?
    if little, don't waste so much time..

is it allowed in the first place to claim concessionary tax on a higher AV prop thats rented out and pay non concessionary on one that one is staying in ..becos it has a lower AV ?

must wait for expert to come answer this question..
    me is noob
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

I hv 2 propeties:

You are paying owner-occupier rate for Property B yet you want to claim a refund because you can't find a tenant? I think you owe the taxman money rather than the other way round. You also want to switch to owner-occupier rate for Property A. I think you have gotten yourself into quite a mess.

Best course of action is to forget about refunds and start paying the right rates according to the actual status.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    You are paying owner-occupier rate for Property B yet you want to claim a refund because you can't find a tenant? I think you owe the taxman money rather than the other way round. You also want to switch to owner-occupier rate for Property A. I think you have gotten yourself into quite a mess.

Best course of action is to forget about refunds and start paying the right rates according to the actual status.

no lah

he stayed in B till this year ...when he found a tenant in FEB 2013
    he paid 10 pct for A but has now moved into A ...

he is asking if he can pay 10 pct for A which he is staying ...and 4 pct for B which he has just rented out

I think you should just be honest to the tax authorities, i.e. pay 4% on your owner occupied property and high property tax for your investment property.

I hv 2 propeties:

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    no lah

he stayed in B till this year ...when he found a tenant in FEB 2013
    he paid 10 pct for A but has now moved into A ...

he is asking if he can pay 10 pct for A which he is staying ...and 4 pct for B which he has just rented out
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

I hv 2 propeties:

Do you have proof that you had been looking for a tenant since Nov 2012? For example, advertisements put up by your agent. If you do, that would give you a case for claiming that you moved out of B in Nov 2012 to stay in A and since then looking for a tenant.

If you don't have the proof, then it's difficult to substantiate your claim. IRAS would normally ask for such proof when considering claims for void periods.

I think under the new rules you can't claim property tax rebates for void periods in rentals going forward from this year's Budget.

Just pay accordingly and you can sleep better.

I hv 2 propeties:

Even if u want to "cheat", on nov 12 when you bought A, you should have immediately changed yr IC address, and immediately started paying 4% on A, AND 10% on B. then on feb u could try claim vacancy refund on B. but even that is grey.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Do you have proof that you had been looking for a tenant since Nov 2012? For example, advertisements put up by your agent. If you do, that would give you a case for claiming that you moved out of B in Nov 2012 to stay in A and since then looking for a tenant.

If you don't have the proof, then it's difficult to substantiate your claim. IRAS would normally ask for such proof when considering claims for void periods.

I think under the new rules you can't claim property tax rebates for void periods in rentals going forward from this year's Budget.
    Agree with chiaberry.

For claim of vacant property, you must have been actively looking for tenant and have to substantiate by giving evidence eg engage agent, newspapers adverts etc. So you need to show this for Property B from Nov to Feb 2013.

But I agree with the other forummers that it is better to come clean with your property tax. Tax matters not to be taken lightly

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=2380

just call iras and verify. it is ok to talk to iras, they are very friendly.

I hv 2 propeties:

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Just pay accordingly and you can sleep better.
    Totally agreed. Dun play play with IRAS... !!!
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

best thread of the year ... pay BSD / ABSD 100k but want to save on 1k by challenging IRAS's "intelligence"

it is like pay COE 90k but want to save $50 petrol by modifying the petrol meter and go in JB
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Suggest that not to create a blip in IRAS radar screen. Just pay as the amount is minimal as compared to your rental income.

Thanks for all the replies.

We did advertised for property B since Nov 2012 when we got the key to property A.

The thing here is we still staying in property B till Feb 2013 when tenant moved in.

At the same time we also stay in property A...meaning only at weekends.

Guess its too messy

Authority will always win and is difficult to challenge. I had once trying to value a property for the purpose of stamping. My valuation shows a lower figure from IRAS valuer. I gave up requesting for an average between the 2 valuation prices after a few discussions.
    Thanks for all the replies.

We did advertised for property B since Nov 2012 when we got the key to property A.

The thing here is we still staying in property B till Feb 2013 when tenant moved in.

At the same time we also stay in property A...meaning only at weekends.

Guess its too messy

I hv 2 propeties:

Can...u have to update both the properties status to IRAS, the Tax man will recompute and pro-rate.

And they have not asked for documenation proof (eg TA, change of address etc)..I did mine in 2012..

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    best thread of the year ... pay BSD / ABSD 100k but want to save on 1k by challenging IRAS's "intelligence"

it is like pay COE 90k but want to save $50 petrol by modifying the petrol meter and go in JB
    because paid 90k coe, no $$$ left for petrol mah.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

in sgp, taxman only win, no lose.
    i last time got vacant ppty few mths i also just guai guai pay ppty tax. dun wan to have so much trouble.

I just got a friend, having troubles with tax returns.
    The only advice, must come clean.....

For tax evasion, they can go up is unlimited time frame
    for tax record : 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    Can...u have to update both the properties status to IRAS, the Tax man will recompute and pro-rate.

And they have not asked for documenation proof (eg TA, change of address etc)..I did mine in 2012..
    Altho documentation proof not asked for, you have to sign a claim form and submit to IRAS. Read the declaration in the form! If you make a false declaration, you are opening yourself up to

Quote Originally Posted by sunny88
    Altho documentation proof not asked for, you have to sign a claim form and submit to IRAS. Read the declaration in the form! If you make a false declaration, you are opening yourself up to
    Yea.. What I meant that u must actual stay in that property In order to change. I don,t read that TS is not intending to stay at the higher valuation unit. But ask for a rebate on vacant unit...my bad..

I had shifted from a lower valued units, when the higher valued unit tenancy over and I shift in, and subsequently rented out the lower valued unit . I update iras accordingly and gotten the adjustment ..
    Last edited by zzz1; 27-02-13 at 19:23.

in short, dun try to geng anything lah. not worth the brain juice. just report as per the truth. no need worry about anything.