Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 900,000 Singapore child

Default The 900,000 Singapore child

Very well written article ...

====================
    RECENT economic research on happiness has established a good correlation between a person's sense of well-being and his propensity to procreate. As in nature, animals need to feel well before procreation can happen.

One fundamental factor for well-being is financial sufficiency. One must earn enough to make ends meet, plus save enough for retirement and the proverbial rainy day.

Without financial sufficiency, successful procreation is unlikely because it will make you go broke. Again, nature sets the example. Animals will not procreate or will abort their offspring when resources are inadequate.

It thus makes sense, as a very basic starting point, to look at procreation as a hard-nosed business investment decision.

How financially viable is it to have children, given Singapore's cost structure and available resources? Does it cost too much for us to have our own children as a nation?

The current discussion about procreation financing has largely revolved around who pays - the state, businesses or parents - and for what. But can we, as a nation, even afford to have children? What is the total cost of raising a child?

Unlike in the United States, there is little published official data on what it costs to bring up a child here. Combining my own private data with whatever published data I could find, I worked out a ballpark estimate.

As a former chief executive officer of a financial advisory firm, I have worked on and reviewed many client financial plans. From the cash-flow analysis of these financial plans, we worked out the expected costs of bringing up a child in Singapore for a mid- to upper-income family.

My estimate is about $600,000 in real dollars per child for a one-child family, and about $500,000 per child for a two-child family to raise a child. The lower figure is due to some economies of scale.

This covers the costs of raising a child, including childcare, clothing, food, schooling, imputed rental of a room to house the child. I assume tuition of $1,000 a month for 11 years, amounting to $132,000. Tuition is seen as a necessity in many families, although the amount spent varies. Household expenditure surveys suggest families spend more on private tuition than on university fees, so $1,000 a month is not unduly high. My estimate also includes the approximate costs for a four-year stint at a local university. If the child does not go to university, deduct about $100,000 from the total cost.

For this article, let's take a non-university-going, one-child family's cost of $500,000.

The implications of the $500,000 cost to bring up a child are not trivial. It means that there will be a shortfall of $500,000 in the couple's retirement fund.

Retirement has to be a top priority because it is non-negotiable - it is rarely possible to work until one passes on. An individual has a duty to himself to avoid the fate of being old and infirm but destitute.

Seen in this context, children are an option - to be exercised only if one can afford it. A retirement fund of $500,000 translates into a retirement income stream of $20,000 - using a 4 per cent draw-down rate - each year. The hard-nosed question that needs to be asked is: "Is your child worth an annual retirement income stream of $20,000?"

The above cost-estimates to raise a child do not include the estimated subsidies paid by the state. This amounts to about another $400,000, with about $300,000 going to education - assuming 13 years of subsidised education. My $300,000 estimate is higher than the government's own internal estimates because I have imputed rental. Singapore's public-funded schools do not pay rental for their premises, unlike private ones. Imputed rental cannot be ignored, as it is a substantial real economic cost.

Hence, each child is expected to cost the nation about $900,000 - $500,000 in family funds and $400,000 in state funds.

Based on about 40,000 live births each year currently, every new cohort that is born is expected to cost about $36 billion or about 11 per cent of gross domestic product or about $11,000 per Singaporean every year.

This is far more than the GDP per capita of Laos and about the same as Thailand. If the Laotians and Thais had our cost structure, they would not be able to afford any children.

The trouble with tuition

WHY is it so costly to raise a child in Singapore?

In the US, it costs about $360,000 to raise a child in a one-child US family, excluding university costs. This is about $140,000 less than the equivalent Singaporean situation.

One reason for the difference appears to be the costs of Singapore's parallel education system, which is not prevalent in the US - the expected costs of private tuition, which represents the single largest expenditure for many parents.

Based on the Household Expenditure Survey 2007/08 (HES2007) published by the Department of Statistics, Singapore resident households already spend more on private tuition for their children annually than on university fees, local and overseas combined as of 2007. Based on HES2007 and GDP breakdown data, the private tuition industry was already a $1.2 billion industry or about 17 per cent of the Ministry of Education's budget in 2007. Extrapolating to today, the private tuition industry is probably worth more than $1.6 billion annually.

The education budget increased by 78 per cent between 2005 and 2011, but parents appear to be paying increasing amounts for private tuition, which many complain is necessary because of the way their children are (not) being educated. This is akin to a company whose revenue is surging but shareholders' losses keep widening. As a professional investor, I would say that something has gone awry.

HES2007 showed that the main bulk of spending on tuition is by residents living in private properties and the largest Housing Board flats.

As a society, we need to reverse the growth of private tuition quickly. The MOE and every school should be measured on how many hours of private tuition students consume and given incentives to reduce consumption at least 10 per cent a year every year for the next 10 years. This will focus the ministry and schools to manage curriculum and teaching techniques creatively so that private tuition becomes unnecessary. Schools should also be forbidden to recommend tuition of any sort to parents. Reducing reliance on tuition will remove one great cost-barrier to fertility.

Will immigrants dilute our resources?

HOWEVER, if we decline to reduce our overall child-rearing cost structure but rely on immigration to meet the shortfall, we won't be better off because the costs are far higher than we think. Every new immigrant who is sworn in may be a tangible dilution of the wealth of all Singaporeans.

The reason rests with the balance sheet of the state, that is our reserves. Every new immigrant has a claim to benefits from the reserves. This is unlike in the US where new citizens have to shoulder the burden of federal and state debt. Part of the taxes paid by every US citizen goes into paying interest on the national debt.

The official book value of our reserves is about $308 billion. The current market value is probably about $800 billion or about $245,000 per citizen. The exact value may be moot but the benefit from the reserves is already tangible. In the 2012 budget, $7.33 billion was taken from returns on reserves - about $2,230 per citizen. If goods and services tax had been used to raise $7.33 billion, GST would have had to increase to 13 per cent - a hardship for the average citizen. Unless each new immigrant has an economic value of at least $245,000, Singapore would be diluting citizens' wealth.

When we understand the true cost of raising children in Singapore, we can see that the solution does not lie in importing immigrants. Rather, a more concerted effort needs to be made to reduce the costs of having a baby. A good start can be made from reducing the reliance on tuition.

Unfortunately, the procreation package announced by the Government on Jan 21 does not adequately address the issue of total costs of rearing a child. Instead, it shifts the cost burden from the family to the state, or other taxpayers. At $2 billion a year, it is a non-trivial recurring cost and represents about 4.3 per cent of the state budget. Although I hope it is effective, it is not possible to reasonably forecast its impact until we get a firm grip on the total cost perspective. If the total cost continues to rise aggressively, it would negate any well-intended subsidies from the state.

Until we satisfactorily address the issue of total cost, it would be imprudent to throw any more taxpayer dollars at the problem.

The writer was previously the chief executive officer of a wealth management firm.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

I dun think the kiasu mentality will ever change. And too much tax dollars channeled to children and their education.

That is why we need to parallel import humans at 20,000 a year.

20,000 x SGD 900,000 = 18 Billion a year.

I disagree the cost of raising up a child is so frightening. And $1K for tuition is probably for high-end tuition centers or doing classes 5 days a week.

The cost can varies greatly with adult's expectations. If people providing their children with things within their financial means, raising children isn't that difficult.

I find those figures meaningless and they do not help in improving birth rates.

the rising cost really turn people off..

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

So assume a young couple starting a family

1. HDB (include loan interest) down 500k
    2. First child down 600k
    3. Insurance for 30y at 3k per year = 100k
    4. 4 cars in whole life + car related expenses 500k
    5. Maid at 12k per year for 30y = 360k

Wah piang eh ... already down almost 2 million

Quote Originally Posted by bsslang
    I disagree the cost of raising up a child is so frightening. And $1K for tuition is probably for high-end tuition centers or doing classes 5 days a week.

The cost can varies greatly with adult's expectations. If people providing their children with things within their financial means, raising children isn't that difficult.

i think you are out of touch of reality, let me quote some of the "common" stuff:

-1. Delivery - normally 3k but can go up to 10k if got problem
    0. Baby care - 1kpm
    0.5. Confinement lady - 3k
    1. Fully day childcare or half day playgroup - 1kpm
    2. Preschool Montessori - 1.7 to 2kpm
    3. British Council - 2.4k per year
    4. Tuition with group size of 15 (e.g. Mind Stretcher) per subject - $120 per month for lower primary
    5. Adam Khoo motivational camp - 2.5k in one week
    6. Personal tuition (language) - 300 per month (4 times a month only)
    7. Tuition with group size of 5-8 - 200 per month
    8. Personal swimming lesson - 250 per month
    9. Personal Piano lesson - 120 per month
    10. Mindchamp guarantee improve one grade tuition - 10k per year

wah biang, the brown skins are the richest in Singapore - if only they dont give birth to so many children. 4 kids will cost them $2milion.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    i think you are out of touch of reality, let me quote some of the "common" stuff:

0. Baby care - 1kpm
    4. Tuition with group size of 15 (e.g. Mind Stretcher) per subject - $120 per month for lower primary

That is why I say cost can varies greatly accordingly to expectations. Here are my expectations:

[Cash probably 1K will do for normal delivery]

0. Baby care - 1kpm
    [Ok, possible]

[2.2K is a recent rate that I know]

[I am paying $200/month for a half day playgroup]

[Got playgroup or childcare already, isn't it?]

[No need. PA courses as good.]

[PA got $140 for 10 lessons]

[Unless your kids not motivated]

[Do not need get China one. My wife is a Chinese teacher will charge much lesser]

[$140 for 10 lessons, once a week]

[$150 per 4 lessons, some more comes to condo to teach]

[Ok reasonable]

10. Mindchamp guarantee improve one grade tuition - 10k per year[/QUOTE]
    [Leave your child at current grade and spend more time to try improve it will save that $]

The person who wrote the article is a very stupid and shallow person.
    Very well written article ...

====================
    RECENT economic research on happiness has established a good correlation between a person's sense of well-being and his propensity to procreate. As in nature, animals need to feel well before procreation can happen.

One fundamental factor for well-being is financial sufficiency. One must earn enough to make ends meet, plus save enough for retirement and the proverbial rainy day.

The writer was previously the chief executive officer of a wealth management firm.

0. Baby care - 1kpm (needed meh? Drink gold milk, gold plated diaper?)
    0.5. Confinement lady - 3k(needed meh? cannot ownself take care? parent? inlaws?)
    1. Fully day childcare or half day playgroup - 1kpm (no money still want to spend on so exp childcare?)
    2. Preschool Montessori - 1.7 to 2kpm (no money still want to spend on so exp childcare?)
    3. British Council - 2.4k per year (needed meh? )
    4. Tuition with group size of 15 (e.g. Mind Stretcher) per subject - $120 per month for lower primary (needed meh? )
    5. Adam Khoo motivational camp - 2.5k in one week (needed meh? )
    6. Personal tuition (language) - 300 per month (4 times a month only) (needed meh? )
    7. Tuition with group size of 5-8 - 200 per month (needed meh? )
    8. Personal swimming lesson - 250 per month(needed meh? )
    9. Personal Piano lesson - 120 per month(needed meh? )
    10. Mindchamp guarantee improve one grade tuition - 10k per year(needed meh? )

0. Baby care - 1kpm

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123

0.5. Confinement lady - 3k(needed meh? cannot ownself take care? parent? inlaws?)
    1. Fully day childcare or half day playgroup - 1kpm (no money still want to spend on so exp childcare?)
    2. Preschool Montessori - 1.7 to 2kpm (no money still want to spend on so exp childcare?)
    4. Tuition with group size of 15 (e.g. Mind Stretcher) per subject - $120 per month for lower primary (needed meh? )
    6. Personal tuition (language) - 300 per month (4 times a month only) (needed meh? )
    lol. !! it is either a need or want..

for me, i don't think i need any of the above..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Most don't need, but we will have people want to spent all that amount, no wonder how much $$$ also not enough.

Who made the child don't have a happy life? - Dad, Mum ....

Maybe a course " Property Investment Sure Win Strategy 101" that target 12-15yrs old will be popular too, even charge at $10,000 for 2days course

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    lol. !! it is either a need or want..

for me, i don't think i need any of the above..

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

0. Baby care - 1kpm
    Why your tuition so cheap one? TLL is about $13K per year for 3 subjects. only 1 lesson per week & 1 sport only! Where got enough? How come your piano lesson so cheap one? You sure you got good one? I think all your tuition centres, coach, tutors etc must the lousy one. If not, why so cheap?

Nowadays, a kid needs to attend 2 preschools within a day. One in the morning (easily $1.5-2k per month) and another in the afternoon (another $1.5-2k per month). In between and during weekends, kid will go to enrichment/tuition classes/spots. Swimming need to join club one with 3-4 lessons per week including Gym. Personal swimming coach will charge you $100 per hour, Personal tuition per language is about $75-100 per hour, (typically, 2-3 lessons per week per subject). Piano lesson is about $75-100 per hour (1 lesson is not good enough, must have 2-3 lessons per week, else how to make it G8 distinction at primary 5 or diploma in early P6 before can use the certificates for DSA) Only one piano is also not good enough, must have Violin too (another 2-3 lessons per week). One swimming is also not good enough, must have Tennis too (another 2-3 lessons per week). Also, must have maths Olympiads personal coaching, and GEP preparation classes, else, how to make it for GEP program!

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123

What era do you live in now? Mata wearing short era?

You don't want to do , Can! then don't blame your kids are being deprived or say other people Kelong one and take short circuit processes to top schools.
    Last edited by teddybear; 26-02-13 at 23:04.

teddybear, I am "less than middle class" (according to some forumers 300-400k pa is middle class, 500kpa is upper middle class)... so my quotes are way below the norm loh

bro leesg really out of touch ......

http://www.mindstretcher.net/Latest/...holarship.html

Invest so much on the kid for what? then kid turn out to be normal engineer, banker etc.,. Afterall not everybody can be the top 20%.
    Invest the 900k in property or business.
    If business, then the 900k kid will work for your kid.

Agree. Tuition costs are luxury and not mandatory. Children should be taught to do self-learning, to explore and not to be over reliant on tuition centres. I'm sure many of us here have learnt to learn by ourselves. Afterall, what are teachers in school for, if tuition teachers are deemed more effective?

I think it all boils down to parents' expectations and perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ahchee
    Agree. Tuition costs are luxury and not mandatory. Children should be taught to do self-learning, to explore and not to be over reliant on tuition centres. I'm sure many of us here have learnt to learn by ourselves. Afterall, what are teachers in school for, if tuition teachers are deemed more effective?

I think it all boils down to parents' expectations and perceptions.
    do u have a kid in primary school? otherwise u won't understand one lah ... your thinking is out of touch

tuition today is not luxury, it is only for survival next time you pass your market, look for the stall that sells exam paper for top primary schools, get some and try yourself

do u have a kid in primary school? otherwise u won't understand one lah ... your thinking is out of touch

tuition today is not luxury, it is only for survival next time you pass your market, look for the stall that sells exam paper for top primary schools, get some and try yourself
    i can't reconcile with this mentality. was at katong 112 and saw the Learning Lab's poster boasting top students (some were in GEP) as part of their learning cohort.

why would GEP students even need tuition?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, very difficult for us now. Mine past primary school already. They tackled those top sch papers with help from their school teachers and sheer determination from themselves. Very reassuring in that sense.

I have 2 kids in primary school. It isn't that difficult as you may think. Some schools does give higher difficulty questions to the kids, probably to differentiate the high IQ ones. It is parents being too anxious when their kids are unable to do those questions. It is a matter of time their kids are mature enough to tackle those questions with proper guidance.

And like most parents, you think it is difficult because you do not understand the new methology that the topics they are taught now. It is your knowledge that is out of touch.

I have 2 kids in primary school. It isn't that difficult as you may think. Some schools does give higher difficulty questions to the kids, probably to differentiate the high IQ ones. It is parents being too anxious when their kids are unable to do those questions. It is a matter of time their kids are mature enough to tackle those questions with proper guidance.

And like most parents, you think it is difficult because you do not understand the new methology that the topics they are taught now. It is your knowledge that is out of touch.
    care to share how much have u spent on tuition for your 2 primary school kids?? it must be zero right?

care to share how much have u spent on tuition for your 2 primary school kids?? it must be zero right?
    I have two children in primary school. Only one need more help on a language subject and therefore we spend $140 for 10 1.5hour tuition in a community center on her. That is about it.

I do not disapprove adult from letting children going for tuition or giving them the best of all things. It is their choice but making an assumption that raising a kid needs $1K tuition and > $500K for raising them is over-exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    i can't reconcile with this mentality. was at katong 112 and saw the Learning Lab's poster boasting top students (some were in GEP) as part of their learning cohort.

why would GEP students even need tuition?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?
    If no tuition, you thought they can be GET student! I've never seen any GEP student who does not go for tuition/ enrichment class. Some of them said never go tuition but mother stayed at home to coach/teach/ enrich their kids la.
    Our GEP students are normal kid la cant beat the China's 神童! Theirs is 1 in a million but ours is 560 in 36, 000
    Last edited by teddybear; 27-02-13 at 12:21.

Quote Originally Posted by ahchee
    Yes, very difficult for us now. Mine past primary school already. They tackled those top sch papers with help from their school teachers and sheer determination from themselves. Very reassuring in that sense.
    The standard of psle now is very much higher than the standard in 5 or 10 years old ago
    They have more higher order thinking questions. With this type rate, our poor kids/grandchildren may be doing master degree standard in JC

and might end up earning substandard paying job?

study so smart also cannot find a job nowadays.. especially in south korea..

singapore can't be better off than time.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    If no tuition, you thought they can be GET student! I've never seen any GEP student who does not go for tuition/ enrichment class. Some of them said never go tuition but mother stayed at home to coach/teach/ enrich their kids la.
    Our GEP students are normal kid la cant beat the China's 神童! Theirs is 1 in a million but ours is 560 in 36, 000
    these are GEP students who went for tuition, not those who made it into GEP because of tuition.

WHY DO THEY EVEN NEED TUITION??!!! to make sure they get 290, instead of 275 in PSLE??!!!

sorry, but i can't reconcile with such kiasu mentality. to me, tuition is for those who need an extra help in their studies.

Agreed, cannot control. BB needs special care also cannot help what

0. Baby care - 1kpm
    Agreed. See if u want 1 to 1, 1 to 2 or 1 to 4.

Agreed. Parents or PIL too old to help. Nowadays, people settle down too late. Sometime is no choice and confinement lady are very hard to book now.

The rest are needs and wants.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    these are GEP students who went for tuition, not those who made it into GEP because of tuition.

WHY DO THEY EVEN NEED TUITION??!!! to make sure they get 290, instead of 275 in PSLE??!!!

sorry, but i can't reconcile with such kiasu mentality. to me, tuition is for those who need an extra help in their studies.
    Let young people explain to you I learnt most of my stuff in tuition center rather than in class. You will not think that tuition is not important if you have seen how the teacher rush through the teaching.