Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All say HDB not affordable. lets take a look the URB BTO prices

Default All say HDB not affordable. lets take a look the URB BTO prices

I always hear people complain HDB is not affordable. Cannot afford! HDB is 1M! Lets take a look at the BTO prices. and consider the affordability.

a 3bed room mthly is ard $440-$547

a 5 bed room mthly is ard $1208 - $1370.

Given today salary entry level. is this un affordable for a couple?

Are people only looking at news headlines and scream!!! 1M!!! and for BTO I want them tomorrow!

all things have to plan.. so it is affordability or planning issue?

Prices look cheap to me. Now fresh graduate pay $3200-5000 pm basic!
    15 years ago only $2200 pm! HDB BTO is about same price then....

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    I always hear people complain HDB is not affordable. Cannot afford! HDB is 1M! Lets take a look at the BTO prices. and consider the affordability.

a 3bed room mthly is ard $440-$547

a 5 bed room mthly is ard $1208 - $1370.

Given today salary entry level. is this un affordable for a couple?

Are people only looking at news headlines and scream!!! 1M!!! and for BTO I want them tomorrow!

all things have to plan.. so it is affordability or planning issue?

http://www.salary.sg/2012/graduate-e...ublished-2012/

snap shot of graduate salary

We hereby present this year’s rankings:

By Average Gross Monthly Salaries (in brackets are the 75th-percentile salaries)

NUS Bachelor Laws (LLB) (Hons) – $5,037 ($5,075)
    SMU Information Systems Management (4-year programme) – Cum Laude and above – $4,294 ($4,783)
    NUS Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) – $4,016 ($4,500)
    SMU Economics (4-year programme) – Cum Laude and above – $3,999 ($4,275)
    NUS Bachelor of Computing (Information Systems) – $3,911 ($4,000)
    NUS Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) – $3,871 ($4,200)
    SMU Business Management (4-year programme) – Cum Laude and above – $3,777 ($4,100)
    NUS Bachelor of Arts (Architecture) – $3,677 ($3,900)
    SMU Accountancy (4-year programme) – Cum Laude and above – $3,671 ($4,125)
    SMU Information Systems Management (4-year programme) – $3,637 ($4,150)
    NTU Computer Engineering – $3,577 ($3,800)
    SMU Economics (4-year programme) – $3,559 ($3,864)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Industrial & Systems Engineering) – $3,539 ($3,950)
    NTU Aerospace Engineering – $3,489 ($3,900)
    SMU Social Sciences (4-year programme) – Cum Laude and above – $3,450 ($3,700)
    NTU Computer Science – $3,425 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Computing (Computer Engineering) – $3,421 ($3,682)
    NTU (NIE) Arts (with Education) – $3,407 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Business Administration (Accountancy) (Hons) – $3,393 ($3,500)
    NTU (NIE) Science (with Education) – $3,381 ($3,600)
    NUS Bachelor of Computing (Computer Science) – $3,376 ($3,500)
    SMU Business Management (4-year programme) – $3,369 ($3,800)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering) – $3,367 ($3,980)
    NUS Bachelor of Science (Pharmacy) (Hons) – $3,346 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Bioengineering) – $3,334 ($3,800)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical Engineering) – $3,327 ($3,600)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical Engineering) – $3,286 ($3,515)
    NTU Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering – $3,276 ($3,500)
    SMU Accountancy (4-year programme) – $3,267 ($3,600)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Materials Science & Engineering) – $3,255 ($3,500)
    NTU Business (3-yr direct Honours programme) – $3,245 ($3,600)
    NTU Electrical & Electronic Engineering – $3,243 ($3,500)
    NTU Mathematical Sciences & Economics – $3,226 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Environmental Engineering) – $3,215 ($3,300)
    NTU Economics – $3,209 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Engineering Science) – $3,203 ($3,250)
    NTU Information Engineering and Media – $3,196 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Computing (Communications and Media) – $3,175 ($3,300)
    NTU Mechanical Engineering – $3,152 ($3,385)
    NUS Bachelor of Arts (Hons) – $3,151 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) – $3,143 ($3,400)
    NUS Bachelor of Business Administration – $3,141 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Science (Hons) – $3,138 ($3,450)
    NUS Bachelor of Dental Surgery – $3,136 ($3,400)
    NUS Bachelor of Engineering (Civil Engineering) – $3,126 ($3,200)
    NTU Psychology – $3,125 ($3,450)
    NTU Mathematical Sciences – $3,125 ($3,200)
    NTU Civil Engineering – $3,115 ($3,400)
    NTU Bioengineering – $3,094 ($3,500)
    NUS Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) – $3,088 ($3,350)
    NUS Bachelor of Computing (Electronic Commerce) – $3,075 ($3,500)
    NTU Sociology – $3,055 ($3,403)
    NTU Materials Engineering – $3,047 ($3,300)
    NTU Chinese – $3,044 ($3,300)
    SMU Social Sciences (4-year programme) – $3,043 ($3,500)
    NTU Environmental Engineering – $3,034 ($3,300)
    NTU Physics & Applied Physics – $3,024 ($3,300)
    NTU Biological Sciences – $2,981 ($3,250)
    NTU English Literature – $2,976 ($3,200)
    NTU Communication Studies – $2,960 ($3,200)
    NTU Chemistry & Biological Chemistry – $2,956 ($3,200)
    NTU Maritime Studies – $2,906 ($3,000)
    NTU Accountancy (3-yr direct Honours programme) – $2,900 ($2,900)
    NUS Bachelor of Applied Science (Hons) – $2,890 ($3,150)
    NUS Bachelor of Science (Real Estate) – $2,888 ($3,000)
    NUS Bachelor of Arts – $2,763 ($3,000)
    NUS Bachelor of Science (Project & Facilities Management) – $2,760 ($3,000)
    NUS Bachelor of Business Administration (Accountancy) – $2,759 ($2,800)
    NUS Bachelor of Science – $2,741 ($2,900)
    NUS Bachelor of Science (Nursing) – $2,718 ($2,800)
    NUS Bachelor of Applied Science – $2,647 ($2,800)
    NTU Art, Design & Media – $2,563 ($3,000)

They always like to compare prices with those in village Malaysia or Indonesia or some other "cheap" region. That why to this group of misinformed Singaporeans, BTO is always unaffordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    They always like to compare prices with those in village Malaysia or Indonesia or some other "cheap" region. That why to this group of misinformed Singaporeans, BTO is always unaffordable.

well problem is many say I dont care. I want BTO ready tomorrow. and I want AMK!.. or some hot location.

but looking at it pungol is not too bad. cannot all want mature estate. want mature estate must be ready to pay. then its not abt no home to stay but a matter of "I DONT LIKE""

in life there are many things I like a n i also cannot afford. so whose fault is that?

well problem is many say I dont care. I want BTO ready tomorrow. and I want AMK!.. or some hot location.

but looking at it pungol is not too bad. cannot all want mature estate. want mature estate must be ready to pay. then its not abt no home to stay but a matter of "I DONT LIKE""

in life there are many things I like a n i also cannot afford. so whose fault is that?

Yah, like! I think HDB will always be the bedrock of SG!

Stop aiming for things that you preferably like to have but are out of reach, like mature estate HDB or landed property.

We are blessed to have HDB (any estate still cheap compared to private or regional housing)!

These anti PAP people, they can do anything and twist everything one. You tell them facts also no use. They choose to believe in lies, what to do. Daft people are like this. Hopeless one.

If you tell me our transport sucks, I agree. We all can see it. I don't deny it.

If you tell me you cannot afford HDB because it costs 1M, then you have let your teachers, your parents, your ancestors and your years of education down.

They want New york salary, Zurich tax, Malaysia food price, Vietnam housing price, Hawaii lifestyle. But when they want to sell their Vietnam house, they expect to sell it at Hongkong prices.

They are not misinformed. They are plain stupid. Most choose to act stupid. In this era, ignorance is a choice. Can no longer say "I don't have access to information" or "I don't know". If you don't know, you are daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies

In fact, PAP has given opportunity for each and every singaporean to earn $ from HDB. and each HDB can easily give a profit of $100k to 200k. And think about it, without PR, no way singaporean can cash out the profit. So the ultimate winner (other than government) are still singaporean....

Ppl against the government for no reason.
    Ppl are more educated but less thinking

Btw, i am neither WP and PAP supporter...just ke po..

I credit Govt, and MND. It does not equate to PAP.

Not exactly.

1. new BTO price is alright for "outskirt" ... when comes to mature estate the price is really crazy. 4A (3 bedroom) no $400k+ no talk? it is unaffordable for young couple < 30 years old. soon, sengkang and punggol flat will be catching up mature estate price.

2. why people always complain about $1M resale HDB because of new HDB under supply. due to under supply and waiting time of 3 years, newly married couple has no choice but go to resale. then, COV no $50k no talk and resale HDB in mature estate is no $700k no talk and of course the headliners $1M HDB

Quote Originally Posted by wt_know
    1. new BTO price is alright for "outskirt" ... when comes to mature estate the price is really crazy. 4A (3 bedroom) no $400k+ no talk? it is unaffordable for young couple < 30 years old. soon, sengkang and punggol flat will be catching up mature estate price.

2. why people always complain about $1M resale HDB because of new HDB under supply. due to under supply and waiting time of 3 years, newly married couple has no choice but go to resale. then, COV no $50k no talk and resale HDB in mature estate is no $700k no talk and of course the headliners $1M HDB

So it's not a question of no house to stay. But a I WANT good estate cheap.

Btw be more factual AMK 5 bed room is 482k
    Last edited by minority; 16-02-13 at 19:30.

Thus I say must plan right. Everything must be right here right now n cheap. How to do? Even go buy private need to wait 3 yrs to build.

agree with you that many young couples want it now and want it cheap which is unreasonable

however, there is no doubt that MND has HDB undersupply since 2010 (MBT time) causing HDB price skyrocketed and huge backlog.

Thus I say must plan right. Everything must be right here right now n cheap. How to do? Even go buy private need to wait 3 yrs to build.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    They want New york salary, Zurich tax, Malaysia food price, Vietnam housing price, Hawaii lifestyle. But when they want to sell their Vietnam house, they expect to sell it at Hongkong prices.

They are not misinformed. They are plain stupid. Most choose to act stupid. In this era, ignorance is a choice. Can no longer say "I don't have access to information" or "I don't know". If you don't know, you are daft.
    Very well said. Anything they will always blame the gov. Spoilt bunch.

agree with you that many young couples want it now and want it cheap which is unreasonable

however, there is no doubt that MND has HDB undersupply since 2010 (MBT time) causing HDB price skyrocketed and huge backlog.

True. but the demand then was also lower becoz not all want to cheong n go buy.

But now ramping up liao lor.

1. If they want mature estate, of course you need to pay more. This applies to ALL countries. Not only Singapore. Cannot expect sengkang 200k, tiong bahru 210k. Doesn't make sense.

2. 3 years wait is reasonable. I don't see how else faster you can get a flat.

Anyway, they can continue to blame the Government. We already fully make use of this cycle since 2009 so too bad for them. If they have use their energy to make full use of crisis instead.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Very well said. Anything they will always blame the gov. Spoilt bunch.

This I totally agree.

Anyway, they can continue to blame the Government. We already fully make use of this cycle since 2009 so too bad for them. If they have use their energy to make full use of crisis instead.

Many are still blaming everyone else except themselves...

i guess the question is always between the have and have not.

Last time in 2001 to 2005 you can get a brand new hdb instantly in punggol, sengkang, sembawang and bukit panjang. 4 room flat was 150k and 5room flat was 200k. That is what i call fast and cheap. Haa haa.

Spoon fed young gen expect nothing less than golden spoon, and our culture does not emphasise on grace and self-reflection

Pap is competent but they made a few major mistakes along the way that is irreversible

First is stop at two
    Second is allow use of CPF OA to buy properties
    Third is giving up control for interest rate setting

No cure liao, first means must rely on immigration to sustain GDP growth, 2nd means hdb rental and resale value growth must outperform 2.5pc pa, 3rd means Sg will suffer comsequences of prolonged super low or high int rate as determined by US central bank
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Hi phantom

So malaysia and Thailand not peg to US interests rate? While looking at their properties, their housing loan rate is pretty high, 5% or more... Compared to HK too. Why is this so?

Why do we peg to US? Since when...

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Last time in 2001 to 2005 you can get a brand new hdb instantly in punggol, sengkang, sembawang and bukit panjang. 4 room flat was 150k and 5room flat was 200k. That is what i call fast and cheap. Haa haa.
    Last time hdb rental is a third of what it is today.

i guess the question is always between the have and have not.
    The more impt question is why the have not remain the have not..

I'm crossing over from the have not to the have and my experience says that attitude and drive of the person play a very impt role...

I don't agree with stop at two. At that point of time, we barely can survive. Our economy is not robust, most of our parents are working in factories/manufacturing and earn $700 a month. Usually 1 parent working only. With that kind of scenario, the Government will say 2 is enough to warn the majority. If you want to have your 3rd, then you have to be financially better off because your 3rd child won't get tax rebates. I think it is a good policy.

But things changes with situation. If not, we will still be a fishing village. And we will be using Nokia bar phone, not iPhone or S3.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Pap is competent but they made a few major mistakes along the way that is irreversible

First is stop at two
    Second is allow use of CPF OA to buy properties
    Third is giving up control for interest rate setting

No cure liao, first means must rely on immigration to sustain GDP growth, 2nd means hdb rental and resale value growth must outperform 2.5pc pa, 3rd means Sg will suffer comsequences of prolonged super low or high int rate as determined by US central bank

I don't agree with stop at two. At that point of time, we barely can survive. Our economy is not robust, most of our parents are working in factories/manufacturing and earn $700 a month. Usually 1 parent working only. With that kind of scenario, the Government will say 2 is enough to warn the majority. If you want to have your 3rd, then you have to be financially better off because your 3rd child won't get tax rebates. I think it is a good policy.

But things changes with situation. If not, we will still be a fishing village. And we will be using Nokia bar phone, not iPhone or S3.

policies have to calibrated with times. Some policies make sense then might not make sense now.

I do agrree with the stop at two then. Coz resources put into support the 2 would yield better future for the kids.

but with today economics its the same if u can afford have more! problem is people life style have changed. Wives have a carreer. etc. that changes the peoples priority.

Also yes there was a survey as some guys point out. 83% of Singaporean want to have kids. One detail they never ask is at what age? many drag till late 30s. which the biological clock have already nearing its end cycle. Thus max yield is 1 kid max 2.

And people blame the Government. Funny. All developed countries are having this issue. Not only Singapore. Yes, we have flawed policies but we got 90% right. That is most important. You want 100% right, maybe in heaven I guess.

To me, we have a bunch of useless people out there that blame the Government for everything. Even if that person fell down in his house, he will curse the Government.

policies have to calibrated with times. Some policies make sense then might not make sense now.

I do agrree with the stop at two then. Coz resources put into support the 2 would yield better future for the kids.

but with today economics its the same if u can afford have more! problem is people life style have changed. Wives have a carreer. etc. that changes the peoples priority.

Also yes there was a survey as some guys point out. 83% of Singaporean want to have kids. One detail they never ask is at what age? many drag till late 30s. which the biological clock have already nearing its end cycle. Thus max yield is 1 kid max 2.