Thread: Four mistakes to avoid in property investment: Michael Yardney

Default Four mistakes to avoid in property investment: Michael Yardney

Friday, 15 February 2013
    Home > News

When you look at the facts, despite there being over one-and-a-half million property investors in Australia, most don’t own more than one or two properties, which means that most property investors don’t ever develop the financial independence they desire.*

In fact, only one in 200 property investors owns six or more investment properties, and you need at least that many to become financially independent.*

Now that’s something to think about, isn’t it?*

With our property markets now moving forward I would like to outline four of the common mistakes I’ve seen investors make, so you can avoid them and make the most of the new property cycle.*

1. Buying the wrong property*

While all properties increase in value over time, some increase in value significantly more than others. To build financial freedom you need to own the right type of property – one that grows in value sufficiently to enable you to borrow against your increased equity, giving you the funds to purchase further properties.*

However, when you ask investors why they purchased their property they’ll say things like: it was close to where they live, close to where they holiday or close to where they want to retire. These are all emotional reasons for buying property, and while possibly a good way to buy your home, they are not the right way to buy an investment property.

2. Not having a plan*

Most Australians spend more time planning their holidays than they do planning their financial future. If you don’t have an investment plan, how can you hope to develop financial independence?*

I have found most Australians fall into four categories:*

a. They don’t invest at all.

The majority of Australians fall into this group – they just haven’t taken action yet.*

b. They don’t invest enough.

*Many Australians have bought a home and understand the power of appreciating real estate, but they want to pay off their home before they invest in more real estate. This means they are not using the untapped equity in their home to further their financial independence.*

c. They invest too much.

Some people invest too much – yes that’s possible! They have taken unnecessary risks and borrowed too much. Some of these investors came unstuck over the last year or two as property values fell, while others will run into trouble as interest rates rise in the future.*

d. Those who invest the right amount.

Then there are those who invest just the right amount. Not too little. Not too much. They invest the right amount – sounds a bit like Goldilocks, doesn’t it?*

These investors have an investment strategy and their investment property purchases are part of this plan.*

The problem is that if you don’t have a strategy it’s easy to get distracted by all the “opportunities” that keep cropping up.*

Unfortunately many of these “opportunities” don’t work out as expected. Look at all the investors who bought off the plan or in the so-called next “hot spot”, only to see the value of their properties underperform.*

3. Not reviewing their property portfolio*

Sure, property is a long-term investment and the costs of buying and selling real estate are considerable, but that doesn’t mean you should fall into the trap of not reviewing your property portfolio.*

Of course you can’t easily “swap” properties or reweight you property portfolio like you would shares. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t regularly review your portfolio to see what you can do to improve or upgrade your properties.*

When was the last time you checked to make sure you were getting the best rents or that your mortgage was appropriate for the current times?*

Maybe it’s time to refinance against your increased equity and use the funds to buy further properties?

And sometimes it is appropriate to consider selling an underperforming property to enable you to buy a better investment.*

It’s a bit like going to a financial planner to review your share portfolio or super fund. He’d say something like, ‘We are starting an economic cycle so now is a good time to see which sectors will perform best over the next few years and which shares will outperform’. So you would sell some shares and reweight your portfolio into sectors that will outperform.*

It’s much the same with your property portfolio.*

Do you own the type of properties that will allow you to take advantage of the next property cycle? Remember, over the next few years some properties will strongly outperform others.*

If you own secondary properties or real estate in areas that are unlikely to benefit from strong capital growth, it may be worth selling up and replacing them with the type of property that will help you develop long-term financial independence.*

And the last common mistake I see investors make is…

4. Not managing their risk

Many investors don’t understand the risks associated with property investment and therefore don’t manage them correctly.

One common error I see investors make is not having sufficient financial buffers to see them through from one property cycle to the next.

Smart investors don’t only buy properties; they buy time by having financial buffers.

Anybody here pledged their existing properties to buy another, care to share??
    Ride at your own risk !!!

To be truly financially independent 6 properties is about right. 3 you own outright and 3 under mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    To be truly financially independent 6 properties is about right. 3 you own outright and 3 under mortgage.
    it is possible for older generation or those born with silver spoon ... for SG middle class starting from zero today, even high flyers will be tough, all these BSD, ABSD, low LTV further limit what u can do ... u also cannot take equity loan against HDB
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    it is possible for older generation or those born with silver spoon ... for SG middle class starting from zero today, even high flyers will be tough, all these BSD, ABSD, low LTV further limit what u can do ... u also cannot take equity loan against HDB
    Not all of them need to be in sg. If u own at least 2 in sg, u should be alright. For example 2 is sg, 2 in malaysia, 2 in australia.

how many will really depends on borrowing cost and rental yield. In Australia it it understandable you will need 6 because interest rate and maintenance cost is much higher as compared to Singapore.

In Singapore, I think 3 to 4 mid to small size non landed property will be enough.

Nice thread. Thanks for sharing and reminding.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Anybody here pledged their existing properties to buy another, care to share??
    Yes, I did it for my property in UK when the mortgage term was paid up. Using rental from both properties to pay the mortgage installments plus maintenance fees, agents fees, etc. Therefore those 2 properties are self-financing. (had a good mortgage package from Llloydstsb 5 years ago - apparently cannot get that sort of spread/rate anymore).

For my SG properties, the mortgages are not paid up yet. Not adding any at the moment as the ABSD and low LTV makes it not worth my while. Leveraging in other non-property asset classes to accumulate more bullets.

Equity loans.... can this be taken off a currently mortgaged property whose valuation has risen many fold?

Eg. Bought years back 400k, today value 700k, mortgage outstanding 300k.

Technically since it's still a 'first' property, can borrow another (80% x 700k = 560k) - 300k = 260k?

If banks don't have such products today, they should seriously consider having them in light of the drastically reduced mortgage loan books...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Equity loans.... can this be taken off a currently mortgaged property whose valuation has risen many fold?

Technically since it's still a 'first' property, can borrow another (80% x 700k = 560k) - 300k = 260k?

If banks don't have such products today, they should seriously consider having them in light of the drastically reduced mortgage loan books...
    Can equity loan be taken for HDB?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi

checked this one recently - (60% of value - cpf used). my house fully paid. so if not fully paid, need to minus loan amount as well.
    interest is 1.1% + sibor. negotiable.
    sourcing other banks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    Can equity loan be taken for HDB?
    Loophole closed by not concurrently owning 1x condo then 1x HDB. but the other way round can
    Affordable means small

Quote Originally Posted by Sam88
    checked this one recently - (60% of value - cpf used). my house fully paid. so if not fully paid, need to minus loan amount as well.
    thumbs up.

Not all of them need to be in sg. If u own at least 2 in sg, u should be alright. For example 2 is sg, 2 in malaysia, 2 in australia.

in Aus, many of them take loan and pay interest only to bank. in this case the mortgage repayment is a lot lower. they hoping for capital gain. ang mo thinking very warp.

Spread of 1.1 and 60% don't seem the best u can get

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    This is starting to look interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    i know. thats why I am slowly sourcing. there's another kind of loan - something like ready credit which charge 5%.

wats the best u can get?

Ya, own 4 at the moment, hope to achieve 6 by the time I reach 50 years old!!! Seriously planning , so I can achieve financial independence early.

very wise words
    Friday, 15 February 2013
    Home > News

When you look at the facts, despite there being over one-and-a-half million property investors in Australia, most don’t own more than one or two properties, which means that most property investors don’t ever develop the financial independence they desire.*

In fact, only one in 200 property investors owns six or more investment properties, and you need at least that many to become financially independent.*

Now that’s something to think about, isn’t it?*

With our property markets now moving forward I would like to outline four of the common mistakes I’ve seen investors make, so you can avoid them and make the most of the new property cycle.*

1. Buying the wrong property*

While all properties increase in value over time, some increase in value significantly more than others. To build financial freedom you need to own the right type of property – one that grows in value sufficiently to enable you to borrow against your increased equity, giving you the funds to purchase further properties.*

However, when you ask investors why they purchased their property they’ll say things like: it was close to where they live, close to where they holiday or close to where they want to retire. These are all emotional reasons for buying property, and while possibly a good way to buy your home, they are not the right way to buy an investment property.

2. Not having a plan*

Most Australians spend more time planning their holidays than they do planning their financial future. If you don’t have an investment plan, how can you hope to develop financial independence?*

I have found most Australians fall into four categories:*

a. They don’t invest at all.

The majority of Australians fall into this group – they just haven’t taken action yet.*

b. They don’t invest enough.

*Many Australians have bought a home and understand the power of appreciating real estate, but they want to pay off their home before they invest in more real estate. This means they are not using the untapped equity in their home to further their financial independence.*

c. They invest too much.

Some people invest too much – yes that’s possible! They have taken unnecessary risks and borrowed too much. Some of these investors came unstuck over the last year or two as property values fell, while others will run into trouble as interest rates rise in the future.*

d. Those who invest the right amount.

Then there are those who invest just the right amount. Not too little. Not too much. They invest the right amount – sounds a bit like Goldilocks, doesn’t it?*

These investors have an investment strategy and their investment property purchases are part of this plan.*

The problem is that if you don’t have a strategy it’s easy to get distracted by all the “opportunities” that keep cropping up.*

Unfortunately many of these “opportunities” don’t work out as expected. Look at all the investors who bought off the plan or in the so-called next “hot spot”, only to see the value of their properties underperform.*

3. Not reviewing their property portfolio*

Sure, property is a long-term investment and the costs of buying and selling real estate are considerable, but that doesn’t mean you should fall into the trap of not reviewing your property portfolio.*

Of course you can’t easily “swap” properties or reweight you property portfolio like you would shares. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t regularly review your portfolio to see what you can do to improve or upgrade your properties.*

When was the last time you checked to make sure you were getting the best rents or that your mortgage was appropriate for the current times?*

Maybe it’s time to refinance against your increased equity and use the funds to buy further properties?

And sometimes it is appropriate to consider selling an underperforming property to enable you to buy a better investment.*

It’s a bit like going to a financial planner to review your share portfolio or super fund. He’d say something like, ‘We are starting an economic cycle so now is a good time to see which sectors will perform best over the next few years and which shares will outperform’. So you would sell some shares and reweight your portfolio into sectors that will outperform.*

It’s much the same with your property portfolio.*

Do you own the type of properties that will allow you to take advantage of the next property cycle? Remember, over the next few years some properties will strongly outperform others.*

If you own secondary properties or real estate in areas that are unlikely to benefit from strong capital growth, it may be worth selling up and replacing them with the type of property that will help you develop long-term financial independence.*

And the last common mistake I see investors make is…

4. Not managing their risk

Many investors don’t understand the risks associated with property investment and therefore don’t manage them correctly.

One common error I see investors make is not having sufficient financial buffers to see them through from one property cycle to the next.

Smart investors don’t only buy properties; they buy time by having financial buffers.

i know. thats why I am slowly sourcing. there's another kind of loan - something like ready credit which charge 5%.

wats the best u can get?
    PM me bro.. Need details to recommend