Thread: Multi-storey home without lift - y u buy?

Default Multi-storey home without lift - y u buy?

I got no $ to buy. But I was just wondering why would you want to buy those houses eg cluster houses without lift?

Especially those with 3-storey n a roof top terrace ... It's knee breaking isn't it?

Would u really climb up to the top floor? How long wld u sit there in this kind of humid weather? Frankly I think of climbing upstairs n downstairs to take things I Xian half Liao.

Wont it be So inconvenient for old folks at home N for little kids who run around, how u find them or call out to then? U shout?

Appreciate ur thots. I m just a common HDB dweller wondering about the rich man life style.

you are also saying landed house isn't good for old folk too..

therefore, the rich got install lift in their landed..

if no $$, then just walk up and down lor
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

most landed are min 2-3 storey high and most are without lift. don't be lazy... , i love stairs, it keeps u fit. it will not break your knees...the old folks will not climb up and down so often. not worth to spend maintainences for the lift and yet get fat...

I know of an elderly neighbour couple in their late 70s. They have no problem climbing up and down their 3-storey bedroom cos they have been doing that for decades... I also often see the ah gong climb up his mango tree to harvest the fruits.

On the contrary, my aunt (a HDB dweller) in her late 50s has problem walking up the stairs. She will complain of knee pains and such.

So i guess it has very much to do with one's lifestyle, health and living habits.

Quote Originally Posted by darling
    I got no $ to buy. But I was just wondering why would you want to buy those houses eg cluster houses without lift?

Especially those with 3-storey n a roof top terrace ... It's knee breaking isn't it?

Would u really climb up to the top floor? How long wld u sit there in this kind of humid weather? Frankly I think of climbing upstairs n downstairs to take things I Xian half Liao.

Wont it be So inconvenient for old folks at home N for little kids who run around, how u find them or call out to then? U shout?

Appreciate ur thots. I m just a common HDB dweller wondering about the rich man life style.
    Unless one is immobile and uses a wheel-chair, its a matter of getting used to it. Especially if one starts from young. Most old folks who has stayed in landed since their early working days will not mind the stairs. However, if you have parents who has not stayed in one and you now want to get 1, it will be tough for them to adjust. Then either get 1 with granny room or lift.

its abt getting use to it. when old then install the stairs lift lor. if not live on the lower level. multi story is for multi generation. older folks on the ground floor. the younger on upper.

if only left the old folks then its too big to maintain anyway. should just sell and downgrade. loh.

agree...very suitable for multigen family and the diff storey offers some privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    its abt getting use to it. when old then install the stairs lift lor. if not live on the lower level. multi story is for multi generation. older folks on the ground floor. the younger on upper.

if only left the old folks then its too big to maintain anyway. should just sell and downgrade. loh.

usually at the ground floor is the 'grannys' room and attached nearby a 'helpers' room with a common toilet.

Higher floors for younger generation no problem with staircase

the parents are working, seldom at home,
    the grandparents stay ground floor,
    the younger generation will stay inside the room, surf internet and only come out for meals.

the only koh lian one is the maid....

MARIA CAN BRING ME A GLASS OF WATER?
    MARIA WHERE IS MY XXXXXX ?
    etc etc
    Ong lai ah!

I tot "Healthy Life Style" always telling ppl choose to climb stairs instead of using the escalator??
    If is true, so is good that you do not realize you are doing exercise while climbing up & down in your landed home.

So what's the problem that landed have no lift??

My girlfriend lives in a 3-storey house with:

1. Her own family: herself+hubby + 3 kids =5
    2. Sister's family: sister+hubby+4 kids= 6
    3. an unmarried sibling: 1
    4. Mum
    5. 2 maids

Total: 15

Her sister's family takes the entire 2nd floor. Her family takes the uppermost floor. Mum sleeps on the ground floor with maids. Yes, 3-storey floor is very ideal for multi-generation living, provided all can get along. Usually, brothers-in-law can get along but not sisters-in-law. I know I'm stereotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebot
    My girlfriend lives in a 3-storey house with:

1. Her own family: herself+hubby + 3 kids =5
    2. Sister's family: sister+hubby+4 kids= 6
    3. an unmarried sibling: 1
    4. Mum
    5. 2 maids

Total: 15

Her sister's family takes the entire 2nd floor. Her family takes the uppermost floor. Mum sleeps on the ground floor with maids. Yes, 3-storey floor is very ideal for multi-generation living, provided all can get along. Usually, brothers-in-law can get along but not sisters-in-law. I know I'm stereotyping.
    can know the floor area of the house?
    how many bedrooms and toilets in 2nd storey and 3rd storey?
    so in your opinion, is YT's plans to house his family (4person), parents (2), parents-inlaw(2), brother-inlaw(1) in a 3br dual key workable?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    can know the floor area of the house?
    how many bedrooms and toilets in 2nd storey and 3rd storey?
    so in your opinion, is YT's plans to house his family (4person), parents (2), parents-inlaw(2), brother-inlaw(1) in a 3br dual key workable?
    the main family unit is the 2 sisters and the mother. this is a strong core. no problem as long as BIL get along well, and as mentioned, usually BILs are ok. i also have no issue staying with my BIL.

yowetan's scenario - key family unit is himself and his wife. that in itself is not a good combination because potentially husband always stuck between 2 parties. while giving him benefit of doubt, i seriously think not many family can achieve harmony in his position.