Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good time to sell your HDB Now!

Smile A good time to sell your HDB Now!

On 16th Oct 2012, i mentioned in my previous post that "I expect HDB prices to drop in the near future (2.5 years from now) before next elections start because there is no way PAP can win with the current HDB transaction prices."

An update on the latest cooling measures and its impact on the property market :

In short, the re-sale market will tread flat because people will not sell their second property for a discount because if they were to buy another property they will be subjected to the ABSD of additional 7% plus lower LTV. Question to you is whats the point? Hence there's no incentive to lower their asking prices.

Secondly, very good news for 1st time buyers as there's a great Singapore sale for you to celebrate over the CNY. Developers are cutting their profits by about 5% across the board to off load 50% so that they have enough cash flow to commence with construction.

Thirdly If your family is currently staying in a HDB, you might/WILL want to explore the option of upgrading to a private property. HDB has already appreciated by 90% over the last 9 years and there's little room for capital appreciation as opposed to a private property. On top of that if you were to analyze the intentions behind the latest cooling measures will you come to a conclusion that the Gov is finding means and ways to suppress the prices of HDB. Think about it, 82% of the votes are the majority. I will not be surprised that if u were to sell your Queenstown HDB for a Million today, chances are FIVE years later you can buy it back at the same price, if not cheaper.

On a side note to address the future supply of Two hundred thousand properties in the pipeline over the next 3 years. I'll break it down for you. 110,000 are BTO, orders that were placed 2-3 years ago. The other 90,000 are the private market. Next thing to focus on is the population growth and how people are coming here to work. When there are plans to increase the population, there has to be enough room/space to house them.

Interest rates are exceptionally low making it an ideal environment for people to take loans, leverage , run businesses, you get the idea.

If a person were to dissect the property market, he/she will find that there's two markets. The market based on need and the investors market. Focusing on the latter, they do not disappear overnight, but rather they are looking elsewhere that's similar to spore.

Top Investment Markets for 2013, The top five investment markets for 2013 are predicted to be: Jakarta, Shanghai, Spore,Sydney & KL surprisingly.

Source: http://www.uli.org/press-release/eme...nds-asia-2013/

property price appreciate by over 100 %+++

and

property developer give 5% discount

buyer is still the loser.
    property company is mid-winner & loser
    biggest winner?

govt .
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Default A GOOD TIME TO SELL?

Wow!.... really?

Better sell quick.

haha...fire sales...

hoot..ar...buy and cheong up the market?...or sell down and allow those who are waiting on the sidelines to buy?

No one can really predict correctly. Look at those people who sold off their property, move in to stay with their parents or In laws, till date, they are still waiting....market had gone up so much since 2010. (I personally know at least 5 families who cash out during that period)

Its a waste of opportunity cost as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlaw
    haha...fire sales...

hoot..ar...buy and cheong up the market?...or sell down and allow those who are waiting on the sidelines to buy?

No one can really predict correctly. Look at those people who sold off their property, move in to stay with their parents or In laws, till date, they are still waiting....market had gone up so much since 2010. (I personally know at least 5 families who cash out during that period)

yes my tenant was one of them. really pity them.
    anyway, unlikely mkt will ever ever fall back to their level of sale price. even black swan or whatever.

If prices fall, those who bought at current high prices, which is a substantial number, will be angry with the govt, since it was promised that their assets will appreciate.

If prices continue to rise, first timers will be priced out and they will vote against the govt.

They are screwed, really.

haha...fire sales...

i have witness 2
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

haha...fire sales...

But if they have no position rt now (no holding of any property), they may benefit as "first-timer" no?

Quote Originally Posted by cheerful
    But if they have no position rt now (no holding of any property), they may benefit as "first-timer" no?
    got record of their previous HDB purchase before..
    so, they isn't first timer anymore..

The article is a bit self serving given it originates from the view of a person known as property agent .... Nevertheless a more cautionary approach should be taken and the fundamental old fashion rule remains: can you still afford the mortgage of the new private property if you are out of work for 6 months ? That to me is key and not mumbo jumbo number crunching articles that I profess not to know much about.

I will keep my hdb flat till I die. it is a good cash cow, collecting $2-3k a month in rental till I die so why sell?

again and again, he is saying to us....dont sell your HDB... see the plan?? capital appreciation is part of the big picture.

so still selling HDB??

extract from http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...235239/1/.html

"Everybody owns their own homes and the value of their homes go up as development takes place. Some are unwise enough to sell their homes, thinking they can buy another one, they then find they can't and have to rent a flat.

"But those who held on to their homes, I've seen their property values going up, five times, 10 times, 15 times, 20 times. This was the plan which we had from the very beginning, to give everybody a home at cost or below cost and as development takes place, everybody gets a lift, all boats rise as the tide rises."

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    got record of their previous HDB purchase before..
    so, they isn't first timer anymore..
    If they sold and dont own the property anymore still counted? Tao nao pai ah

Never sell your HDB.

Article: Don't Sell That HDB Flat

http://www.np.edu.sg/library/resourc...05.09.10sc.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ahkongkid
    If they sold and dont own the property anymore still counted? Tao nao pai ah
    What I meant in the earlier post is that ABSD 7% at least shldn't apply since the rule kicks in only when u (as SC) have one on hand, then thinking of getting a second one. But remission allowed if should later sell the first one, so all in all, net position is juz one property. So, thought if a person doesn't own anything aft having sold off, then 7% shldn't affect him.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I will keep my hdb flat till I die. it is a good cash cow, collecting $2-3k a month in rental till I die so why sell?
    bro bro bro sama sama.....hdb flat is my best friend can shelter me can feed me...urghh actually better than friend cos friend always expect something in return but not my hdb....wahahaha
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

alamak ts is agent la of course he tell u to sell his ricebowl...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

just hope no sers for my area coz very near mrt. if sers, i think govt should still compensate another flat even if i am a pc owner.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    bro bro bro sama sama.....hdb flat is my best friend can shelter me can feed me...urghh actually better than friend cos friend always expect something in return but not my hdb....wahahaha

just hope no sers for my area coz very near mrt. if sers, i think govt should still compensate another flat even if i am a pc owner.
    They compensate you but ask you sell off your PC since you will have fresh 5 years MOP how ?

Quote Originally Posted by danguard
    They compensate you but ask you sell off your PC since you will have fresh 5 years MOP how ?
    if you are compensated monetarily, you don't need to sell off your PC eh

the fact is these pc owners never ask to get into new 5 yr mop. let's say if i have another 60 years left on my flat when it goes en bloc, they cannot just take away my 60 years lease without compensating another flat on old terms. i think i have asked someone before with regard to this issue before and it seems we can still keep our pc and be compensated another flat, just that we cannot rent out perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by danguard

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    if you are compensated monetarily, you don't need to sell off your PC eh
    take the $$ down on another MM.. voila. rental income steady steady.

The TS's call for selling does not make sense ... resale HDB is cash cow

Meanwhile, the number of S-Passes - meant for mid-skilled workers - went up to 142,400 from 113,900 previously.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by regency321
    If prices fall, those who bought at current high prices, which is a substantial number, will be angry with the govt, since it was promised that their assets will appreciate.

If prices continue to rise, first timers will be priced out and they will vote against the govt.

They are screwed, really.

government can only enable them. its up to them to be mobile. if they hold till retire. they have te option to sell and downgrade to smaller place. and have spare cash.

the more adventurous ones will fair better but there are risk. No Bao 1. want Bao go buy durian.

the fact is these pc owners never ask to get into new 5 yr mop. let's say if i have another 60 years left on my flat when it goes en bloc, they cannot just take away my 60 years lease without compensating another flat on old terms. i think i have asked someone before with regard to this issue before and it seems we can still keep our pc and be compensated another flat, just that we cannot rent out perhaps.
    from hdb website -

Existing Private Property Owners

If you, your spouse or essential occupiers of the SERS flat own a private property as at the SERS announcement date, you may retain ownership of the private property as an investment. However, you must continue to stay in the existing flat and the replacement flat after its completion. You may sell the private property at any time during this period.

If you wish to invest in another private property, you may do so only after the expiry of the minimum period of resale of the replacement flat, subject to our prevailing policies.

HDB InfoWEB: SERS Policies : Living in HDB flats : Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme (e-SERS)

hope the above puts u at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by MyPropertyAgent

Interest rates are exceptionally low making it an ideal environment for people to take loans, leverage , run businesses, you get the idea.
    You do realise that this is not a good thing, yes?

so which means I was right, can keep pc but based on the rules, must live in the sers flat. basically hdb can't really control where we live so long as we don't rent the new flat out. but five years without rental from the flat would indeed be a waste so I would rather not have sers at all cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu1245
    from hdb website -

Existing Private Property Owners

If you, your spouse or essential occupiers of the SERS flat own a private property as at the SERS announcement date, you may retain ownership of the private property as an investment. However, you must continue to stay in the existing flat and the replacement flat after its completion. You may sell the private property at any time during this period.

If you wish to invest in another private property, you may do so only after the expiry of the minimum period of resale of the replacement flat, subject to our prevailing policies.

HDB InfoWEB: SERS Policies : Living in HDB flats : Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme (e-SERS)

hope the above puts u at ease.

Good IMO, old flat change to EC. Can buy EC instead of hdb?

I thought if old flat goes en bloc, you cannot buy ec but only the sers flats?