Thread: California home prices rose more than 20 percent in December

Default California home prices rose more than 20 percent in December

Interesting, one out of three home sold in San Francisco Bay are all cash purchases.

With this kind of demand, prices in SF could easily rise another 25-35% this year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/real-esta...-rise-december

California home prices rise in December

BY Elliot Spagat
    Associated Press
    Posted: 01/16/2013 04:10:25 PM PST

SAN DIEGO -- California home prices rose more than 20 percent in December -- with the San Francisco Bay area witnessing its sharpest increase in at least two decades -- as buyers competed for scarce inventory, a research firm reported Wednesday.

The median sales price for houses and condominiums was $299,000, up 21.5 percent from $246,000 in the same period of 2011, DataQuick said. It was the 10th straight month that prices rose from the previous year.
    There were 39,760 homes sold in the state, up 5.4 percent from a year earlier.

The numbers provide the latest evidence of a housing market recovery marked by thin supplies as sellers sit on the sidelines, anticipating additional gains. The California Association of Realtors said Tuesday that its index of unsold inventory of single-family homes in California stood at 2.6 months in December, down from 4.3 months a year earlier.

The figure represents how long it would take to sell all homes at the current sales clip. Supply in a normal market is considered to be five to seven months.

"I haven't been to a place that had fewer than five or six offers, and some had as many as 20," said Joe Camicia, 30, a land use consultant in the San Francisco Bay Area who has been shopping for about a year and lost a bid on a San Jose home to an all-cash buyer last month.

The median sales price in the Bay Area reached $442,750 in December, up 32 percent from $335,500 a year earlier. It was the nine-county region's highest price since $447,000 in August 2008 and the sharpest annual percentage increase since DataQuick began keeping track in 1988.

There were 7,832 homes sold in the Bay Area in December, up 4.5 percent from the same period of 2011, DataQuick said. Buyers without a record of a loan -- meaning they appeared to have paid cash -- accounted for 29.3 percent of sales, exceeding the monthly average of 12.5 percent since 1988.
    "As soon as new listings come up, we sort of pounce of them," said Neil Golke, an engineer who has found slim pickings while shopping for a home with his wife in the San Jose area.

Golke, 30, said he offered $1.09 million for a Menlo Park home in December -- more than $100,000 above the asking price -- but ranked in the bottom 10 of more than 30 offers. Golke, who plans to finance about 80 percent of his purchase, discovered the ultimate buyer agreed to pay $1.58 million in cash.
    In Southern California, The median price for new and existing houses and condominiums reached $323,000 in December, up 19.6 percent from $270,000 during the same period of 2011, DataQuick reported Tuesday. There were 20,274 homes sold during the month in the region, up 5.3 percent from the same period last year.

Foreclosed homes, which tend to sell at steep discounts, made up a smaller part of the sales mix statewide in December, lifting the median price. Properties that were foreclosed upon in the previous year accounted for 15.5 percent of existing home sales in California, down from 33.9 percent a year earlier and 58.8 percent in February 2009.
    Last edited by sgbuyer; 30-01-13 at 09:00.

My friends bought a house in Monterey Bay (conservation/protected area) for 1+ mill USD. It was a bank foreclosure and the bank were keen to get it off their books before the end of the year. Shortly after they had banked in the cheque, a higher offer was made for the same house. It was 3+ mill USD before Lehman. The price should appreciate as the US economy recovers. It was a great buy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    My friends bought a house in Monterey Bay (conservation/protected area) for 1+ mill USD. It was a bank foreclosure and the bank were keen to get it off their books before the end of the year. Shortly after they had banked in the cheque, a higher offer was made for the same house. It was 3+ mill USD before Lehman. The price should appreciate as the US economy recovers. It was a great buy for them.

Your friend timing is great. The USD will rise to 1.5 by 2015 and he will make from capital appreciation and the forex appreciation.

This is a 100% sure make buy.

Quote Originally Posted by sgbuyer
    Your friend timing is great. The USD will rise to 1.5 by 2015 and he will make from capital appreciation and the forex appreciation.

This is a 100% sure make buy.
    Apart from that, Monterey Bay is v beautiful. They will be staying there for some months every year. The purchase was partly driven by desire to be closer to family members. At the same time, a good financial decision. They are selling their condo in KL (centre near KLCC) as that had also appreciated greatly since they bought it and they now have no time to go to KL preferring to go to California.

Apart from that, Monterey Bay is v beautiful. They will be staying there for some months every year. The purchase was partly driven by desire to be closer to family members. At the same time, a good financial decision. They are selling their condo in KL (centre near KLCC) as that had also appreciated greatly since they bought it and they now have no time to go to KL preferring to go to California.
    monterey bay is beautiful. only caveat - i was there during the week of the jap earthquake mar 2011, and watched on TV the destruction after that mini tsumami hit california.

in singapore, the worse that can happen is only terrorist attack. those near MRT will be more worried.

All photos below taken by me with no photoshop

million dollar view in monterey:

million dollar view in singapore:

(ok, i cheated. this photo not taken from a million dollar house. but you get the idea lah)

Our friend did not buy directly facing the bay, it is a little further inland but can still hear the waves.

California is on or near the fault line where the tectonic plates meet no? Trying to drag out some Sec Sch geography here. I didn't do Geog in sch. In my time can drop Geog and replace with MUSIC. Much easier for me, not much ability in Humanities subject. Would not have done well if I had to do Humanities in Upp Sec or JC. Luckily was a PURE SCIENCE student in JC.

Our friend did not buy directly facing the bay, it is a little further inland but can still hear the waves.

California is on or near the fault line where the tectonic plates meet no? Trying to drag out some Sec Sch geography here. I didn't do Geog in sch. In my time can drop Geog and replace with MUSIC. Much easier for me, not much ability in Humanities subject. Would not have done well if I had to do Humanities in Upp Sec or JC. Luckily was a PURE SCIENCE student in JC.

California should be fine if you build your home 3 meters higher than the sea. But Vancouver and Seattle will be dangerous, you need to be at least 15 meters higher than sea level.

But in my opinion, crossing the roads and zebra crossing in Singapore, is much more dangerous.

how much is the rental in monterey can fetch ?