Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Freak election result, Shaken confidence

Quote Originally Posted by RCT
    I feel the population target maybe lower.. What you all think? I don't know why we need so much people for what... It is really getting too crowd in Singapore now.. On weekends, you can see people sitting along the roadside drinking and eating.. MRT is super crowded... Shopping mall is super crowded... Now Singapore is a developed nation so we are all talking about quality of life.. If you have work in other country, you will know our quality of life sucks. High standard of living but poor quality of life...
    Yes.. Maybe it is time to rethink. Doing more with less by Ngiam Dow Tong.
    http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/03/...giam-tong-dow/http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/03/...giam-tong-dow/

Quote Originally Posted by august
    LOL/// Any bigger and you might have to take a full page advertisment in the straits time..

By the time population reaches 7 million, assuming that 100k of the new comers are ultra high net worth, each car 10 yr old COE will cost $500k. I wonder what will you say by then?

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    No choice. Nowadays people want to have 5k COE and they will complain about jam everyday. The funny thing is they want every family have a car. Are they kidding me? They want 1.5 million cars on the road? Current 500k cars already push beyond limit already.

And if Gov. make HDB 100k, they will complain they can't get 50k COV or sell at 600k.

Anyway, I believe these idiots will still complain for whatever small reason they can find. If they think oppositions can do better, I really think they are daft. I don't see any feasible suggestions from opposition at all. Only some small "this goes without saying" suggestions. Ask them how to solve car problem, they will be clueless as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sgbuyer
    By the time population reaches 7 million, assuming that 100k of the new comers are ultra high net worth, each car 10 yr old COE will cost $500k. I wonder what will you say by then?

don't worry, it won't happen.

Brands in various sectors, such as Bentley, Maybach, and Rolls-Royce in motoring, actively target UHNWI and HNWI to sell their products. Figures gathered by Rolls-Royce suggest there are 80,000 people around the world with disposable income of more than $20 million.[19] They have, on average, eight cars and three or four homes. Three-quarters own a jet aircraft and most have a yacht.

From
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ne...th_Report_2009

This BE results has no impact on investor confidence. Don't be frightened by the usual scare tactics. In any, it tells the whole world Singaporeans are no longer yes men and meek people with no brains. Do you know other countries always look down upon us as a bunch of sheep with no courage and "just follow law" blindly? I think it makes the world sit up and notice that Singaporeans are no longer meek and dare to make a difference. And seriously, in recent years, some of the WP candidates are superior to PAP. I think Chen Show Mao or Sylvia Lim or Pritam Singh is superior to the likes to Tin Pei Ling and Teo Ser Luck. In fact, if PAP continues to recruit people like Tin Pei Ling, that is when investor confidence will be really shaken. Even this doctor Koh came across as insincere and a liar. I don't think anyone believes his sob stories on how poor he was and how he used $11 to buy a part of chopsticks. His $11 chopsticks just show how out of touch he is with the ground. Chopsticks can be bought for only $1 is you are that poor.

Who will say no to a Minsiter position? MP only earn $15 a month. Ministers are paid millions. I am sure some of the opposition party members are minister material - but PM will NEVER offer the position to them because some may outshine him.

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    Even if the PM offers the transport and MND ministries to the opposition to run, I think the opposition will decline.
    The opposition prefers a supervisory and easier task, like making "the government work harder," and get paid handsomely for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam88
    don't worry, it won't happen.

Brands in various sectors, such as Bentley, Maybach, and Rolls-Royce in motoring, actively target UHNWI and HNWI to sell their products. Figures gathered by Rolls-Royce suggest there are 80,000 people around the world with disposable income of more than $20 million.[19] They have, on average, eight cars and three or four homes. Three-quarters own a jet aircraft and most have a yacht.

From
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ne...th_Report_2009

I don't think you need people with disposable income of more than $20m to afford a $500k COE.

Come on, what is $500k? Even ikan bilis hawker kawan that makes only $2k a month made $500k.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Why the result is freak?? Young voters are more informed online, look at what dr Koh said:

Everyone has a car, my wife and I each own one

Sounds like one mil is one peanut

No wonder wp wins by a peanut
    Once again the poster of this statement is misrepresenting DR koh. He only say everyone in his family has a car, he never say every Singaporeans has a car.

If our young voters are so naive, without even verifying the source and start to believe, seriously Singapore will be easily surpass....

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Who will say no to a Minsiter position? MP only earn $15 a month. Ministers are paid millions. I am sure some of the opposition party members are minister material - but PM will NEVER offer the position to them because some may outshine him.
    MP allowance is in the range of $10k/month, not $15

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I am sure some of the opposition party members are minister material - but PM will NEVER offer the position to them because some may outshine him.
    Interesting...please name them so that we can take more notice.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    MP allowance is in the range of $10k/month, not $15
    i think MP allowance is currently $16k

Low Thia Kiang, Sylvia Lim, Chen Show Mao? Get them to work in the Ministry of Manpower / Ministry of National Development ??

Quote Originally Posted by rymccondo77
    Low Thia Kiang, Sylvia Lim, Chen Show Mao? Get them to work in the Ministry of Manpower / Ministry of National Development ??
    chen show mao can go ministry of law. he looks nicer than the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    i think MP allowance is currently $16k
    who wouldn't want to be MP? take photo, shake hands, don't-use-conscience-and-brains-just-vote-along-party-line, attend ceremonies, flirt with grassroot members, retain day job, and yet still get $16k monthly allowance.

Kenneth j has better credentials than majority of the ministers in parliament. if guys like lawrence Wong n halimah yacob can be minister material, I think many ppl can.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Kenneth j has better credentials than majority of the ministers in parliament. if guys like lawrence Wong n halimah yacob can be minister material, I think many ppl can.
    Your statement made me burst into laughter but isn't halimah yacob minister material?

credentials aside, he's a nutcase - crossing swords with caution thrown to the wind. made a major mistake, in my opinion, in competing in PE, since he has always toiled the grounds in western part of the island.

now with the rubbish showing, he has all but expended whatever political capital and sure, will find it tough to attract the likes of Dr Ang Yong Guan or Dr Tambiah to join the party

by the ruling party's n your definition maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by jacelynchia
    Your statement made me burst into laughter but isn't halimah yacob minister material?
    Last edited by Regulators; 28-01-13 at 12:19.

he may be wrong for running in the BE, but based on credentials, he is not inferior to any of the pap ministers. pappies used to criticise opposition for having lack of talent, but that is not the case today.
    Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    credentials aside, he's a nutcase - crossing swords with caution thrown to the wind. made a major mistake, in my opinion, in competing in PE, since he has always toiled the grounds in western part of the island.

now with the rubbish showing, he has all but expended whatever political capital and sure, will find it tough to attract the likes of Dr Ang Yong Guan or Dr Tambiah to join the party

here is halimah yacob for you

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/01/26...tary-comments/

Quote Originally Posted by jacelynchia

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    The punggol election has proven mr lky right. if i am shaken by this, i am sure foreign investor will to. Could this punggol election be the beginning of singapore swan song?

I feel v lucky to have vested in overseas property. If the next ge the young proves to vote by sentiments, it will be goodbye singapore.

How could one expect to have everything, without doing anything? Crap.
    There are many who miss the growth hoping for a reset. but I dont think they will like it when they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Today, I don't agree with bro ghost.

What's wrong with owning a car or 2 cars if you can afford it.
    Life is more meaningful if you can enjoy what you reap.

Now is the presumed rich is sin and poor is good. the David verse goliath , the robbin hood n the evil sheriff.

Everyone likes a story. It feels good to be perceived as righteous. Frankly do the people want to have beggars running the country so they feel better?

who knows ? we are like now going to be like bollywood all want a good show. regardless of reality.

The problem is he said everyone has a car, many voters there are young middle class who can't afford even Coe

He might mean in his top echelon, everyone has a car

Put your shoes into a family earning 7kpm trying to raise a baby needing a car now

Do we all need a car? thats my question?

What is this website? How come it takes so long to load?

There is one comment below: Halimah is starting to become useless & corrupted ever since she became MOS. She had sold her soul to the devil.
    Majority of the PAP MP are really non-talented, useless and like licking FamiLEE balls.
    If Halimah want to be obedient and don’t care about Singaporean. She SHALL join “the obedient wives club”, with her calibre and link to PAP, she wil surely be the Chairwoman of the club.

Thanks for sharing, I always have a laugh reading comments like these.

Quote Originally Posted by ecimbew
    Point is the voters' profile in Punggol east SMC. Many green eyes around.

Owning 1 car is not easy. If your monthly salary is only 3k, 1/3 of your salary goes to the loan monthly repayment. Then if you give your parents 500, and then repay Uni loan 200, car insurance, income tax, fuel expenses, entertainment, etc. 3k a month is not enough.

That's provided this person is single and has no gf/bf. And living with parents.

When I started work in the 80s. I have a colleague who's pay is 1200 pm. He die die must have a car. after servicing a loan of 750pm. not much left. He can starve or eat bread. but his car must on time go servicing. my pt is it necessary? Coz he dont need a car to work actually.

I really question is that necessary? Afterall when I grew up my parents dont have a car. My aunts / uncles dont too. not till the later part of my teens then I see them get cars as economically get better. Also public transport then is not fantastic too. n people have many kids. 2-4 etc.

My pt is we are more comfortable today. expectation are much higher. but something have to be reasonable. if its not car will be no time. etc. there are many excuse. To me unless its a hand to mouth issue its a non issue. Work for it.!

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Sudden annoucement of more sheltered walkway too.

more sheltered nation

this is a purely elitist way of thinking. looking at your ideology, I think you have wasted all your years reciting the Singapore pledge. I don't think you even understand what it means. so to you people who fight for democracy in Singapore are beggars n people who submit to autocratic rule deserve to be rewarded? what a warped ideology you have
    Quote Originally Posted by minority
    Now is the presumed rich is sin and poor is good. the David verse goliath , the robbin hood n the evil sheriff.

Everyone likes a story. It feels good to be perceived as righteous. Frankly do the people want to have beggars running the country so they feel better?

who knows ? we are like now going to be like bollywood all want a good show. regardless of reality.

The hdb bto priority scheme is so obvious for new SCs who parachuted in
    The hdb single scheme is also obviously political for 2016 election when singles get their keys lol

Next is subsidy for COE? Waiving maid levy? Higher childcare subsidy?

Dont twist the priority scheme. There are a population of single parents here lobbying for housing to.

its just so unbelievable these days every single policy are twisted to something sinister.

Tats so sad.

I think the government should cut all this subsidy crap. its not helping the nation with a subsidy mentality. Who will pay for this moving forward in the yrs to come.

The young would have to pay. and come a day if the subsidy cannot be sustained and have to be taken away. The population would have been hooked on this subsidy drug so long and will cry foul.

this is a purely elitist way of thinking. looking at your ideology, I think you have wasted all your years reciting the Singapore pledge. I don't think you even understand what it means. so to you people who fight for democracy in Singapore are beggars n people who submit to autocratic rule deserve to be rewarded? what a warped ideology you have
    Well I am just echoing what u guys are saying. All those on the top are elitist. so wat u want? Persived poorness to be humbled?

focus on the work not some who is so call elitist who is not. Talk abt myophic.

seems like now adays everyone want to run the country behind the the keyboard. maybe suggest every citizen be a minster? all policies are put to public vote?