Thread: LH PCs, when is a good time to sell?

Default LH PCs, when is a good time to sell?

Saw buttercarp asking this question on whether when's a good time to sell a LH PC. Have read somewhere once the LH PC reaches 15 years old, it is about time to let go.

With the recent CM, is that still valid?
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

When it makes u good enough money, sell.

Let's say if a family moved into a pc right after TOP to stay and plans to sell it after a few years.
    How many years later will leasehold project be considered old?

How long will LH property starts depreciating in prices after appreciation upon TOP?

Different people have different views. My personal view is it doesnt really matter. Usually any property after 20+ years starts giving problems on maintenance, leakage etc and thats when I would look at moving out. If its on prime location eg near MRT or nature park, reservoir etc, it can easily be rented out or high chance of enbloc. Its more about location.
    I believe that when it comes to big condos with few hundred residents, and 99 yr lease expiring - our govt may not ask them to vacate and there will always be an amicable arrangement to extend the lease. The recent enbloc attempt on 99 yr old Thomson View is a good example . The same failed attempt could happen for a freehold condo and no one would like to buy or rent a run-down condo in an ulu place.

there's just so many factors to look at when it comes to properties, its locations, amenities, accessibility, exclusiveness, individual preferences, how well its maintained and so on ... if the 15yr old LH commands a good rental, near mrt, loved by expat, well maint .. I will continue to keep it ... till the next bull cycle ... to earn another ten years of rental till its ready to enbloc FH will not be forever ... you still have to enbloc after 30 - 40 yrs max ... look at the current enbloc sites and those that are so old but not going to enbloc? Can you see what's the difference? Only developer can really benefit from the FH land ... landed would be a different story altogether betw LH and FH.

Quote Originally Posted by jacelynchia
    Let's say if a family moved into a pc right after TOP to stay and plans to sell it after a few years.
    How many years later will leasehold project be considered old?

How long will LH property starts depreciating in prices after appreciation upon TOP?
    Check out the differential premium table published by URA. It compares LH value against FH over time.

When u see many agents selling the same unit,you know nobody wants your unit

Quote Originally Posted by Santro
    Different people have different views. My personal view is it doesnt really matter. Usually any property after 20+ years starts giving problems on maintenance, leakage etc and thats when I would look at moving out. If its on prime location eg near MRT or nature park, reservoir etc, it can easily be rented out or high chance of enbloc. Its more about location.
    I believe that when it comes to big condos with few hundred residents, and 99 yr lease expiring - our govt may not ask them to vacate and there will always be an amicable arrangement to extend the lease. The recent enbloc attempt on 99 yr old Thomson View is a good example . The same failed attempt could happen for a freehold condo and no one would like to buy or rent a run-down condo in an ulu place.
    It will be amicable if one has the huge $ upfront to pay for lease top-up. Decades from now will not be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    When it makes u good enough money, sell.
    In today's context, sell already, how to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by KopKing
    When u see many agents selling the same unit,you know nobody wants your unit
    I think it's more about pricing. Everything has a price.
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

just checked out another unit in my development. buyer still holding firm to asking price, no room for negotiations in spite of the latest CM

prices drop ? maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    just checked out another unit in my development. buyer still holding firm to asking price, no room for negotiations in spite of the latest CM

prices drop ? maybe not?
    Still early la... Now it is to see who have the higher holding power

But the game have change, it was the seller market before.. Now it is more of a buyer market.. Now if you have money, you can slowly go and select the house you want.. No more, if you dun buy now, tomorrow it will be gone....

Agree bro but the way I look at it, garmen may not take the risk of making the residents homeless and invite headache of taking care of them . There may be enbloc with maybe less attractive cash settlement to claim back the piece of land. Only time will tell how they actually intend to handle the 99 year lease expiry. Till then just make full use of it .

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    It will be amicable if one has the huge $ upfront to pay for lease top-up. Decades from now will not be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by RCT
    Still early la... Now it is to see who have the higher holding power

But the game have change, it was the seller market before.. Now it is more of a buyer market.. Now if you have money, you can slowly go and select the house you want.. No more, if you dun buy now, tomorrow it will be gone....
    In the next few week, the scenario is : Even if you have money, if you dont buy NOW, tomorrow seller withdraw from market after calculating and realising that once sold, his money will STOP generating passive income.

He will be sitting on a pile of cash that is depreciating (slowly as SGD is still strong). If you have 3 properties now generating a few thousand dollars a month and properties itself inching up 1-2% a quarter, would you kill the Golden Goose ?

If you will, then, ok lor! The Golden Goose story is indeed TRUE!

DKSG