Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invest in Malaysia Property.

Default Invest in Malaysia Property.

I am a Singaporean and never invest property in Malaysia and like to get more information and ideas from you guys.

-Will you consider to invest at Iskandar area, like Puteri Harbour area? Like Teega or Pintree Residences,. These area property price is around, M$800-1000 psf, its depend on the size of the property.

-Horizon Hill landed property, its terrace is around M$800-900k.
    -Or other area.

By the way, my purpose it to get rental return for few years and once price appreciate I will sell it off. i.e. Not for own stay.

Thanks in advance.
    When is the right time to buy my next property?

Hi..I am also interested to learn and know more of this option.

Please do let me know and informed so I can discuss with my family members of the option. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by FREDDIE
    I am a Singaporean and never invest property in Malaysia and like to get more information and ideas from you guys.

-Will you consider to invest at Iskandar area, like Puteri Harbour area? Like Teega or Pintree Residences,. These area property price is around, M$800-1000 psf, its depend on the size of the property.

-Or other area.

By the way, my purpose it to get rental return for few years and once price appreciate I will sell it off. i.e. Not for own stay.

Thanks in advance.

Don't be surprise that HH, East leadang, Leisure Farm, Puteri Habour, etc....mostly snapped up by Singaporean and property price up significantly due to Singaporean buy or rent. The return is comparable to SG Private if you bought those units couple of years ago, return 100% or more....
    I m MM

Have been advocating Nusajaya in Iskandar in the forum since 2010!
    Anything you had bought before 2011 would had doubled or tripled today.

The low hanging fruits have mostly been taken... but the growth momentum and trajectory boom should continue for the next few years until at least 2017/18, barring any unforeseened crisis.
    Now patiently waiting for the next turbo phase that must surely come.

Newcomers will need to choose more carefully going forward.
    Plenty of gems still available but also plenty of lemons.

Caveat emptor!

if you get kl even 2011 would make money

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Horizon Hill decent terrace should be MYR$1.1m now...
    But that is beside the point, 2 words from me: AVOID MALAYSIA!
    If you want to invest in Malaysia, you should act like Peter Lim:
    1) Be the developer, not the property buyer, in Malaysia!
    2) Be the businessman in Malaysia, not the consumer!

-Or other area.

Thanks in advance.

-Or other area.

Thanks in advance.
    invest only in the capital, the financial powerhouse: KLCC area. Iskandar to me lots of speculation, of course, got speculation, got chance goes up. U got to make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Terrace is 900k.

-Or other area.

Thanks in advance.
    Sing supplies forum has active thread.. It's about whether you will invest. If u ask the flock of ppl who bought encorp, teega, ans is yes. If u ask anyone burnt by clob, ans is likely NEVER. Sky88 was launched at 750psf, then 900psf with highest at 1300psf.. Now awaiting the last tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeboxsupporter
    Don't be surprise that HH, East leadang, Leisure Farm, Puteri Habour, etc....mostly snapped up by Singaporean and property price up significantly due to Singaporean buy or rent. The return is comparable to SG Private if you bought those units couple of years ago, return 100% or more....
    Yes, you are right! one of my friend bought M$380 in 2009 and now market value is around M$1mil.

Quote Originally Posted by TKT
    Have been advocating Nusajaya in Iskandar in the forum since 2010!
    Anything you had bought before 2011 would had doubled or tripled today.

The low hanging fruits have mostly been taken... but the growth momentum and trajectory boom should continue for the next few years until at least 2017/18, barring any unforeseened crisis.
    Now patiently waiting for the next turbo phase that must surely come.

Newcomers will need to choose more carefully going forward.
    Plenty of gems still available but also plenty of lemons.

Caveat emptor!

Tks for your advice. That why I am considering to go in now or wait......

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear

Buy now and few years sell with capital gain consider businessman?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    Terrace is 900k.

My friend just bought one around M$900k but some of the units more than M$1 mil, depend on land size....

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    Sing supplies forum has active thread.. It's about whether you will invest. If u ask the flock of ppl who bought encorp, teega, ans is yes. If u ask anyone burnt by clob, ans is likely NEVER. Sky88 was launched at 750psf, then 900psf with highest at 1300psf.. Now awaiting the last tower.
    The question is, who are the buyers? Slim chance is the local as they have so many options and those iskandar places are way to exp for them. It is like playing musical chair, who will be the one left standing?

GE is coming... Results maybe good or bad.....Ur analysis and call.

Last three years, I have visited Penang, KL and Iskandar a few times and also wrote in this forum my opinion in these three locations. Iam now smarter, type in words and copy to this forum, this saves me lot of efforts in future if need to. However, I am not doing further editing here, so there is some alignment issue, bear with it.

Iskandar’s economy model is focusing on Medical, Education, Entertainment, Manufacturing and also as second/retirement home for Singaporeans.So, to friends who are interested in Iskandar, I always ask them a few questions.

1. For Medical, the main target is Singaporeans.Now, if your household income is below average, would u prefer to stay in ClassC SGH or go Iskandar? If you are middle income and above, where you want yourmedical treatment? Sg or Iskandar?

2. Iskandar (From the second link) is not that wellpopulated, as such, workers come from the JB and a few cities nearby. So, ifyou are a worker from JB, you want to work in Sg or Iskandar? Afterall, u still need to ride quite adistance. This is the potential issue on labour supply.

3. How often you bring your family to legoland and Hello Kitty? Will tourists to Singaproe go there?

4. If you have a second home there, how often you will go? Holding a second home is costly

5. If you are rich, do you want to stay there?

Answer all these yourself first. All the above are currently untested and no one knows, when can these be tested?

My view on Iskandar :
    1. Very huge land supply, these are flat land, 3xsize of Singapore. Visit the Marina Club at Puteri Harbour,there is a mock up of the buildings there, you will understand what I mean. Their plot ratio is very high.

2. Who buy? I observed a high number of buyers are investors, or even many of them are weak investors. They hope to flip upon completion or rent the property out.

3. Who will rent from you? Definitely not the locals. Expat population is very small.

4. Who will buy from you? Buyers prefer to buy from developers in view of the upfront cash flow. Local’s affordability is a concern

5. Interest rate currently is 4.2%, negative cashflow is expected

6. There are some other considerations

What to buy in Iskandar :
    Yes, the prices have gone up. But which property did not go up in the last two years? It is a matter of how much and question of whether it is paper or realised.

1. Shops with good traffic, if u can secure a tenant like banks. Even in same row of shops, it does not mean that all shops are with equally good traffic

2. Big land, but holding cost is high and may be hard to find the next buyer

3. Properties with very good seaview. And you need to ensure the view is there all the time.

A lot more to write. But in essence, I think above isenough.
    I wrote before about KL and Penang. You can read the reports (the download section) from http://www.malaysiapropertyinc.com/
    They analyse the price index by state and unsold stock by states. Perhaps, I should also write about Penang Island and KLCC.
    Last edited by Laguna; 03-01-13 at 07:55.

Well said!

the trick is you must be able to find another SG sucker who is willing to pay higher price than what you paid.

Overall the analysis is sharp to the point as I have already vested there. Laguna, you are really a guru. So if you want to flip, or have positive cash flow, residential property is not a good option, unless for self stay. Look shoplot or factory plot, as land there will be no rental income.

If you can hold, go for land. Same like singapore, choose location. Location where the goverment will develop, then you will have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Last three years, I have visited Penang, KL and Iskandar a few times and also wrote in this forum my opinion in these three locations. Iam now smarter, type in words and copy to this forum, this saves me lot of efforts in future if need to. However, I am not doing further editing here, so there is some alignment issue, bear with it.

Iskandar’s economy model is focusing on Medical, Education, Entertainment, Manufacturing and also as second/retirement home for Singaporeans.So, to friends who are interested in Iskandar, I always ask them a few questions.

1. For Medical, the main target is Singaporeans.Now, if your household income is below average, would u prefer to stay in ClassC SGH or go Iskandar? If you are middle income and above, where you want yourmedical treatment? Sg or Iskandar?

2. Iskandar (From the second link) is not that wellpopulated, as such, workers come from the JB and a few cities nearby. So, ifyou are a worker from JB, you want to work in Sg or Iskandar? Afterall, u still need to ride quite adistance. This is the potential issue on labour supply.

3. How often you bring your family to legoland and Hello Kitty? Will tourists to Singaproe go there?

4. If you have a second home there, how often you will go? Holding a second home is costly

Answer all these yourself first. All the above are currently untested and no one knows, when can these be tested?

My view on Iskandar :
    1. Very huge land supply, these are flat land, 3xsize of Singapore. Visit the Marina Club at Puteri Harbour,there is a mock up of the buildings there, you will understand what I mean. Their plot ratio is very high.

2. Who buy? I observed a high number of buyers are investors, or even many of them are weak investors. They hope to flip upon completion or rent the property out.

3. Who will rent from you? Definitely not the locals. Expat population is very small.

4. Who will buy from you? Buyers prefer to buy from developers in view of the upfront cash flow. Local’s affordability is a concern

Yes, the prices have gone up. But which property did not go up in the last two years? It is a matter of how much and question of whether it is paper or realised.

1. Shops with good traffic, if u can secure a tenant like banks. Even in same row of shops, it does not mean that all shops are with equally good traffic

3. Properties with very good seaview. And you need to ensure the view is there all the time.

I wrote before about KL and Penang. You can read the reports (the download section) from http://www.malaysiapropertyinc.com/
    They analyse the price index by state and unsold stock by states. Perhaps, I should also write about Penang Island and KLCC.

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    the trick is you must be able to find another SG sucker who is willing to pay higher price than what you paid.
    There will be no sucker la... only whether he sees it different from the seller. Cause the seller thinks that there is no more upside, but the buyer thinks it still have.

Quote Originally Posted by ctng78
    There will be no sucker la... only whether he sees it different from the seller. Cause the seller thinks that there is no more upside, but the buyer thinks it still have.
    the opportunity for easy money already over. there are UNLIMTED supply of properties in JB, good luck.

Salute Laguna!

Another good analysis from Laguna ... my family owned landed property and lands in other parts of Johor... if you want to buy

1. Always go for freehold landed, best with big lands e.g. corner terrace / semi-D ... it is the land that matters, not the house

2. Within 1km of major commercial center e.g. Bukit Indah Jusco, the closer the better, Horizon Hill is close but there is a premium

3. Do not count on renting it out, b4 you buy, just calculate how much cash flow is required to leave it empty, so it make sense to pay in cash if you can

4. Buy resale, dun buy new pay attention to pt 1

Iskandar property will ultimately has higher growth rate than Singapore as Singapore garmen has no choice but to offload high inflation to JB (see my other thread of disturbing high inflation in last 7y) ... the secret is selection ...
    Ride at your own risk !!!

ya, I forgot to add
    1. no international airport
    2. no deep sea port

So, there is a big implication here for those export businesses and banning on tourism. Singapore tourists will not go over as there is no real attractions, and Sg can keep the tourists busy.

Now, JB is banning hard on their high FDI in absolute $, but if you compute on a per capita basis, the figure will then tell otherwise.

There are still limited sweet spots left in Malaysia but I am no longer playing in this market.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

My view on Iskandar :

That is my concern too. I drove around that area and the whole Iskandar is very big and a lot of empty land waiting for development. i.e. there will be a lot of new projects there in future. My BIG question is

“Who will buy from you next time and who you can find the tenant?”

And again property price there is almost one third of Singapore price. Capital outlay is low and furthermore, developer there do offer defer payment..... Oop! High Risk High Gain.

Just my opinion, I think the next economy downturn will wipe out the gains in Iskandar's properties. At this point is true speculations, no fundamental and usually tends to crash hard.

For Iskandar to be tested, it has to go through a market downturn and the truth will prevails. I may go in again after this episode when Iskandar is proven. But for now, i am staying sideline on Iskandar property.

Quote Originally Posted by virzone
    Just my opinion, I think the next economy downturn will wipe out the gains in Iskandar's properties. At this point is true speculations, no fundamental and usually tends to crash hard.

For Iskandar to be tested, it has to go through a market downturn and the truth will prevails. I may go in again after this episode when Iskandar is proven. But for now, i am staying sideline on Iskandar property.
    Think I agree with you that there is lots of speculations.. unless you have bought it cheap (maybe 2-3yrs ago), so no problem even there's not sales/rental demand later. As for now, I think better stay at the sideline & watch

If you want to diversify your portfolio, instead of putting all eggs in SG, can consider KLCC area (must be near LRT, malls, supermarket, eateries). Proven.

I have just rented out my unit at 6% yield before I could even collect my keys on legal completion (i instruct my agent to directly take the key from the seller solicitor). Yes, interest rate is 4.2% but I dump the money in FD giving me 3%. so my effective interest is 1.2%

Go figure out.

if you have a 3 tier family, its probably a very comfortable place to stay.

other then that, not sure if it makes sense. Probably the next evolution maybe work from home and many would Want to stay there and dial in. Else may not have much upside. But that's just my view.

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    flip and flip..

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)