Thread: How to safeguard your online privacy (bare minimum)

Default How to safeguard your online privacy (bare minimum)

Decided to start this for a non-IT person .. if you are IT person, you can do better

1. Do not put family photo online, delete them now from Facebook, Google+, photo sharing site blah blah

2. Change your facebook setting to most secure possible ... for photo tagging, always require your approval, go through existing tagging and remove all of them

3. Do not use you actual name in facebook, you can rename it anytime e.g. to your Chinese hanyu pinyin, remove all personal info from facebook

4. Do not use the same nick everywhere unless you purposely want to do it

5. Don't talk about your family online especially in a public forum

6. Do not use LinkedIn

7. Always logout from facebook after each visit

IT will never be foolproof but it will help to fight against kaypoh ppl
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Decided to start this for a non-IT person .. if you are IT person, you can do better

1. Do not put family photo online, delete them now from Facebook, Google+, photo sharing site blah blah

2. Change your facebook setting to most secure possible ... for photo tagging, always require your approval, go through existing tagging and remove all of them

3. Do not use you actual name in facebook, you can rename it anytime e.g. to your Chinese hanyu pinyin, remove all personal info from facebook

6. Do not use LinkedIn

May not be so much on online privacy, but by using Passion cards to accumulate points at supermarkets, pharmacies etc is also allowing others to track your family expenses, purchase patterns, lifestyles, choice of brands, eating habits etc

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera

6. Do not use LinkedIn

Thank you for sharing. It's very informative for a techno-dummy like me.

my best advice as a seasoned internet IT consultant is: drop facebook. don't use it to discuss personal stuffs.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Sometimes, it is good to keep yourself low profile.

I find facebook has no privacy at all. Quite a number of times, I receive notice asking me to add this and that person as friends if I know them. Those names are my friends' friends and friends' friend, the link might be very long. I don't know them at all and yet I can get to see their photos, no privacy at all. Unless they know how to set, photos are for close friends or relatives only, is it more privacy if they set it in this way?

Another thing is whatever they write in the facebook can also be read by all the friends/relatives (those inside the list), which sometimes the writer might want that particular person to read only.

Bro ghost, since you are so techy, may I know if skydrive on hotmail is safe?

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    May not be so much on online privacy, but by using Passion cards to accumulate points at supermarkets, pharmacies etc is also allowing others to track your family expenses, purchase patterns, lifestyles, choice of brands, eating habits etc
    Even credit card also. Some insurance company links to the bank and got our personal information from there.

I've already warn people few week back when carbuncle identity was exposed.
    But nobody pay attention.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...4&postcount=81
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...6&postcount=82

Sometimes I really wonder why people want to use facebook and update their whereabouts every day/hour. Everybody know where you are and what you eat.

Why??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by PN

Sometimes I really wonder why people want to use facebook and update their whereabouts every day/hour. Everybody know where you are and what you eat.

Why??????????????????
    old man PN is right. i use his advice too... hehe
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Facebook has its usefulness - quite a number of new condos / ECs / HDB developments have their own private facebook groups to discuss matters relating to their own properties and sharing of information.

Facebook groups for ECs seem to have the most number of members - most have over 100 members and some have over 300.

Why??????????????????
    Those who just made changes to their control panel options. Don't forget to thank me hor.

Just kidding

Here is my views. Bros and sisters, you can disagreed with me. Just sharing what I am doing.

I don't think we can stop use certain tools/services today like Facebook, LinkedIn, Email, Forum, Webpages etc as the world progress towards a more tech inclined era.

The issue is people wants convenient and started use a single email address for all the different services they subscribe to. That's the dangerous part. A hacker or a company can link your info up using this single email address of yours and have quite a good info on you, your liking, your pic, your behavioral and your life etc.

So how to survive in a world that is going tech inclined and prevent strangers/companies from having complete profile of you?

Here is what I did. I use different email address for each services. I used different name for each services. I DO NOT put extra info or pictures unless needed. As stated above, this will made hacker or company more difficult to trace me and link up all my info to have a complete profile of me and knew me more than I know my own self.

The second part is to guard all privacy profile of all services. DO NOT share info or input anything more than needed.

Yes, you can now counter me and said then I can use my single email and hide my email address using privacy settings in each services. No one then can see or know my email address thus cannot link and have a completed profile of me.

Do note that sometimes the one that sell you out is the company providing you the services. Even u hide the email address in their services and prevent a hacker from seeing, the company itself can extract the data from their back-end and still sell them for profit.

You can again counter me that there are privacy rules in US and other countries (NOT in Singapore) that prevent companies from doing it but my view is who is actively checking? Even if got caught, the company can always deny or come out with lame excuses but ultimately your info is still leaked.

I know having different email address means more memory work to remember them. But that's life. If you want to use it, do some work.

Lastly, memory work is hard but please don't write your password or login info in a file on your computer or on a piece of paper. You will never know when a malware or a virus will hit your computer or you lost that piece of paper and those info got leaked out.
    Visit and "Like us" at our Sea Esta Facebook Page to get the latest updates on Sea Esta right from your Facebook News Feed!

Those who just made changes to their control panel options. Don't forget to thank me hor.

Just kidding
    i did. it was something new to me. thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    i did. it was something new to me. thanks for sharing.
    Don't mention it.

But I don't know if it is too late as my 3rd eye tells me someone downloaded many forummers profile already. So he may expose people one by one if he not happy with you.

This forum is getting from bad to worst. I shall disappear soon. Good luck.

Internet is a great technology tool & an evil one.

Hi..I hope I am not exposed.

tks for the tip

Just kidding
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Hi..I hope I am not exposed.
    you go jiak sai la!

Don't mention it.

But I don't know if it is too late as my 3rd eye tells me someone downloaded many forummers profile already. So he may expose people one by one if he not happy with you.

This forum is getting from bad to worst. I shall disappear soon. Good luck.

Internet is a great technology tool & an evil one.
    no need to disappear. change nick only.

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    you go jiak sai la!
    dun offend him.. HE may be the exposer.