Thread: read this on facebook

Default read this on facebook

‎"After 21 years of marriage, my wife wanted me to take another woman out to dinner and a movie. She said, “I love you, but I know this other woman loves you and would love to spend some time with you.”

The other woman that my wife wanted me to visit was my MOTHER, who has been a widow for 19 years, but the demands of my work and my three children had made it possible to visit her only occasionally.

That night I called to invite her to go out for dinner and a movie. “What’s wrong, are you well?” she asked.

My mother is the type of woman who suspects that a late night call or a surprise invitation is a sign of bad news. “I thought that it would be pleasant to spend some time with you,” I responded. “Just the two of us.” She thought about it for a moment, and then said, “I would like that very much.”

That Friday after work, as I drove over to pick her up I was a bit nervous. When I arrived at her house, I noticed that she, too, seemed to be nervous about our date. She waited in the door with her coat on. She was wearing the dress that she had worn to celebrate her last wedding anniversary. She smiled from a face that was as radiant as an angel’s. “I told my friends that I was going to go out with my son, and they were impressed, “she said, as she got into the car. “They can’t wait to hear about our meeting.”

We went to a restaurant that, although not elegant, was very nice and cozy. My mother took my arm as if she were the First Lady. After we sat down, I had to read the menu. Her eyes could only read large print. Half way through the entries, I lifted my eyes and saw Mom sitting there staring at me. A nostalgic smile was on her lips. “It was I who used to have to read the menu when you were small,” she said. “Then it’s time that you relax and let me return the favor,” I responded. During the dinner, we had an agreeable conversation – nothing extraordinary but catching up on recent events of each other’s life. We talked so much that we missed the movie. As we arrived at her house later, she said, “I’ll go out with you again, but only if you let me invite you.” I agreed.

“How was your dinner date?” asked my wife when I got home. “Very nice. Much more so than I could have imagined,” I answered.

A few days later, my mother died of a massive heart attack. It happened so suddenly that I didn’t have a chance to do anything for her. Some time later, I received an envelope with a copy of a restaurant receipt from the same place mother and I had dined. An attached note said: “I paid this bill in advance. I wasn’t sure that I could be there; but nevertheless, I paid for two plates – one for you and the other for your wife. You will never know what that night meant for me. I love you, son.”

At that moment, I understood the importance of saying in time: “I LOVE YOU” and to give our loved ones the time that they deserve. Nothing in life is more important than your family. Give them the time they deserve, because these things cannot be put off till “some other time.”

what an asshole of a son, invite mother out for date just because she pays,,,

The story lost me when it mention MOTHER

Western values...

Mother staying on her own

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    The story lost me when it mention MOTHER
    I was hoping a threesome story

touching story
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

worth the read ... the rat race we are in tend to make us forget what is really import in life ... There are things in this world that $$$ can't buy after all ...

The rich dinner might had contributed to e heart attack. Moral of e story is watch what ur parents r eating at their advanced age.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    what an asshole of a son, invite mother out for date just because she pays,,,

no la... i read this to mean that he invited his mother. and she was supposed to invite him next, but not sure if she could make it and prepaid for the next invitation, at least for his wife and him if the mother could not make it.

lots of these very touching stories in the net and from friends, sometimes in the form of chain mails. still these are nice little constant reminders for us...

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    The rich dinner might had contributed to e heart attack. Moral of e story is watch what ur parents r eating at their advanced age.
    Already old, let them eat what they want lah.

the rich dinner contributed in the way of releasing the dam of suppressed emotions, albeit good ones... my son loves me, he remembers, he bothers, i am so touched!...

moral of the story is to bring about incremental changes, rather than sudden ones. and to bring about these incremental changes EARLY, so that the mundane mind dun suffer from sudden excessive emotional exercise, similar to our physical exercise. Shou Chong Mo Jin

moral of the story, take parents out for dinner before it's too late! Laguna always say he / she wish the kids will spend more time with her

My mother warned me not control what she eats when she gets older...

I reminded her how she tried (in vain) to control what my late grandmother likes to eat...

No right or wrong.

Eat to live, or live to eat... Your choice....

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline
    no la... i read this to mean that he invited his mother. and she was supposed to invite him next, but not sure if she could make it and prepaid for the next invitation, at least for his wife and him if the mother could not make it.

lots of these very touching stories in the net and from friends, sometimes in the form of chain mails. still these are nice little constant reminders for us...
    oh!!! for the return invite.... I see now.

either the writer got problem or my comprehension sucks big time! lol

Yeps i interacted with quite a handful of old folks ... What they want most badly is their kids spending time with them, regardless of the activities. It doesn't matter much if its some big restaurant dining or just a pack of tabao chicken rice. And this become more apparent esp if your old folks are the well to do ones...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    oh!!! for the return invite.... I see now.

either the writer got problem or my comprehension sucks big time! lol
    you know, i thought u were trying to crack a joke at first!

Quite an old video, but its meaningful and sharing with those who haven't watched before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRP...=youtube_gdata

A great article and the timing is great, just as we come to the end of the year and ready to move into the new year, to plan our new year resolutions with the family.

used to control what my dad eat. then my mum reminded me. how many yrs more he can eat.. just eat lah. why bother? after that i din bother leow.

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    Quite an old video, but its meaningful and sharing with those who haven't watched before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRP...=youtube_gdata
    good share, bro..

i show it to my parent 2 years back.. hehe
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)