Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 64

Thread: How much of your spare cash goes into property

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default How much of your spare cash goes into property

    together with my new mortgage insurance, i am also reviewing my other insurance portfolio. so i am now thinking - how much of my spare cash should i set aside for normal investment (unit trust/bonds/equities, etc), and how much should i set aside to quickly repay my housing loan.

    of coz, easy answer is since loan=1% and if investments can get more than 1%, then go for investments. but it is not the simple. investments have downsides (even bonds), while repaying that housing loan is more assuring, psychologically. one is a bet, the other is a certainty.

    ok, for discussion purpose. say i now have 5k spare cash every month. and a decent buffer for housing loan repayment for 6-12 months.

    what will u do with the 5k?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    together with my new mortgage insurance, i am also reviewing my other insurance portfolio. so i am now thinking - how much of my spare cash should i set aside for normal investment (unit trust/bonds/equities, etc), and how much should i set aside to quickly repay my housing loan.

    of coz, easy answer is since loan=1% and if investments can get more than 1%, then go for investments. but it is not the simple. investments have downsides (even bonds), while repaying that housing loan is more assuring, psychologically. one is a bet, the other is a certainty.

    ok, for discussion purpose. say i now have 5k spare cash every month. and a decent buffer for housing loan repayment for 6-12 months.

    what will u do with the 5k?
    I am very conservative. A few properties are fully paid and one property that can be repaid any time. Holding shares and cash now and shares are 25% of cash.
    Don't really know what to do with the cash but I think it is better to conserve the cash than to lose it by reckless investments.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,063

    Default

    5k cash, I dunno what to invest in.
    Maybe just keep it or spend it as and when I like.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    460

    Default

    5k is not a lot of money. i am conservative by nature so for me i will use it to pay off the mortgage 1st.
    When you have eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,063

    Default

    If it is really spare cash and nothing to do with it, mabbe go casino ?
    Take it as a recreational hobby.
    Then mabbe lucky like the hawker aunty who strike jackpot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    If it is really spare cash and nothing to do with it, mabbe go casino ?
    Take it as a recreational hobby.
    Then mabbe lucky like the hawker aunty who strike jackpot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Singapore investment no more bullet.. now Im moving to Second Link johor and found gems there... but there are risk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctng78
    Singapore investment no more bullet.. now Im moving to Second Link johor and found gems there... but there are risk
    I lost money in Malaysia years ago and no amount of returns can entice me to go in again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    together with my new mortgage insurance, i am also reviewing my other insurance portfolio. so i am now thinking - how much of my spare cash should i set aside for normal investment (unit trust/bonds/equities, etc), and how much should i set aside to quickly repay my housing loan.

    of coz, easy answer is since loan=1% and if investments can get more than 1%, then go for investments. but it is not the simple. investments have downsides (even bonds), while repaying that housing loan is more assuring, psychologically. one is a bet, the other is a certainty.

    ok, for discussion purpose. say i now have 5k spare cash every month. and a decent buffer for housing loan repayment for 6-12 months.

    what will u do with the 5k?
    I keep 200k cash buffer...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    together with my new mortgage insurance, i am also reviewing my other insurance portfolio. so i am now thinking - how much of my spare cash should i set aside for normal investment (unit trust/bonds/equities, etc), and how much should i set aside to quickly repay my housing loan.

    of coz, easy answer is since loan=1% and if investments can get more than 1%, then go for investments. but it is not the simple. investments have downsides (even bonds), while repaying that housing loan is more assuring, psychologically. one is a bet, the other is a certainty.

    ok, for discussion purpose. say i now have 5k spare cash every month. and a decent buffer for housing loan repayment for 6-12 months.

    what will u do with the 5k?
    Save your 5k for bullets to hoot something.

    5k per month, 1 year 60k, 2 year 120k, 3 year 180k.....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,943

    Default

    just checked my bank accounts after reading this....
    borrowed so much and hardly have any cash on hand....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,926

    Default

    sometimes do nothing is the best strategy
    Ride at your own risk !!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,675

    Default

    Technically, after including bank loans, I have no spare cash. Only big debts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Save your 5k for bullets to hoot something.

    5k per month, 1 year 60k, 2 year 120k, 3 year 180k.....
    that's the dilemma... 3 yr 180k.. maybe invest in something.. can become 360k in 3 years.. then can hoot something BIGGER

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    just checked my bank accounts after reading this....
    borrowed so much and hardly have any cash on hand....
    Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Technically, after including bank loans, I have no spare cash. Only big debts.

    i think.. save for the respected big brudders here. most of us are in the same situation.. which is all the more impt to consider putting spare cash to grow something, rather than throw into 1% loan repayment

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    sometimes do nothing is the best strategy
    wise words.. hard to do

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    just checked my bank accounts after reading this....
    borrowed so much and hardly have any cash on hand....
    uncle laguna got good cash flow?

    i think don't need worry too much .

    Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Technically, after including bank loans, I have no spare cash. Only big debts.
    worth the risk or not?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roly8



    worth the risk or not?
    bro, big debt sure got what... if you buy 1mil ppty, down 20%, you also left 100k spare cash (not including incidental costs). to buy ppty in sgp and not have big debt, very difficult for most normal pple.

    there is a diff betw good debt and bad debt. buy car sure bad debt. for you, 1mil ppty already cover 300k payment, quite safe from bank recall leow. if you afraid of debt, difficult to start anywhere.

    our big brudders here with multiple ppty are easily not the top 20% but top 1% in sgp. cannot use them as comparison.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    bro, big debt sure got what... if you buy 1mil ppty, down 20%, you also left 100k spare cash (not including incidental costs). to buy ppty in sgp and not have big debt, very difficult for most normal pple.

    there is a diff betw good debt and bad debt. buy car sure bad debt. for you, 1mil ppty already cover 300k payment, quite safe from bank recall leow. if you afraid of debt, difficult to start anywhere.

    our big brudders here with multiple ppty are easily not the top 20% but top 1% in sgp. cannot use them as comparison.
    yea..me is sometimes feel very stress reading posts here..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Bro Shanz, today I super duper good mood... Are you ready for some exercise ???

    Answer the following questions and I will ask some more questions a long the way for you to answer so we can together get an answer (hopefully)

    Can you tell me the years where the property markets dip big time??
    List the year...

    I will continue from there.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    yea..me is sometimes feel very stress reading posts here..
    Bro, why stress??? To have big muscles, you need to carry weight and increase along the way... No immediate results hor...
    To have knowledge, you need to read and read and read... No immediate results hor.

    You carry weight for 3 month and you expect to look like Arnold or the hulk???

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro Shanz, today I super duper good mood... Are you ready for some exercise ???

    Answer the following questions and I will ask some more questions a long the way for you to answer so we can together get an answer (hopefully)

    Can you tell me the years where the property markets dip big time??
    List the year...

    I will continue from there.
    haha, bro, r u gg to tell me to time the mkt and it is better to enter during dip? (which i dun dispute)

    anyway, discounting 1986, the next 2 dips are 98/99 and 2009. plateau between 2003-2006, but not exactly a dip there (i got my HDB during this period).

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    haha, bro, r u gg to tell me to time the mkt and it is better to enter during dip? (which i dun dispute)

    anyway, discounting 1986, the next 2 dips are 98/99 and 2009. plateau between 2003-2006, but not exactly a dip there (i got my HDB during this period).
    Sorri... in meeting...

    OK.. What caused the dip in 98 and 2009?

    OK, I answer - Financial Crisis and Lehman Bro

    What happened during that period?
    Recession

    So all dips come recession.... Rite !!!!

    I answered some of the questions lah... If not too long... To and Fro...

    Now comes the interesting part :

    Could anyone have predicted this catastrophe???
    Please answer -

    Once you answer that, my "final" answer will be revealed to you via PM.

    Hahahahahaha

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    218

    Default

    This means, if a global recession risk is identified, v hard for real recession to come.

    Real recession always occur when ppl least expected it.

    Is this the gist of ur words mr chestnut?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    just checked my bank accounts after reading this....
    borrowed so much and hardly have any cash on hand....
    Surprising for a seasoned investor like you. I guess you are bullish on property.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricade
    This means, if a global recession risk is identified, v hard for real recession to come.

    Real recession always occur when ppl least expected it.

    Is this the gist of ur words mr chestnut?
    Bro, u said it.... not me... Hahahahaha

    Was 1997 and 2007/8 ever predicted????

    When people predicted the recession, it is avoided and made less by the sure force of govt intervention - give employer money to hire, lower corporate tax, give bonus, etc...

    Major events happen with extreme Euphoria !!!

    Are we seeing it today???

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Surprising for a seasoned investor like you. I guess you are bullish on property.
    Sis, she checked the wrong bank account lah... Too many accouts opened...

    I also check my account than wonder why so little only to realise the money are all in the other few accounts... When people > 45, such things happens.

    Thats why I type, so I can remember what I just said. Hahahahaha


  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, u said it.... not me... Hahahahaha

    Was 1997 and 2007/8 ever predicted????

    When people predicted the recession, it is avoided and made less by the sure force of govt intervention - give employer money to hire, lower corporate tax, give bonus, etc...

    Major events happen with extreme Euphoria !!!

    Are we seeing it today???
    08 pop of US property bubble was predicted. I sold all my stock end 07. It is the collapse of Lehman etc and subsequent credit freeze that was unpredicted. If u recall spore pty stalled for most of 08, but after Lehman the real dip and correction began.

    currently we may be close to experiencing something similar heading into 2013. What is absent is the 'Lehman' element. Govts r better prepared this time, so as long as no Lehman happens we will probably continue to cruise at stall speed. Ppl say "this time it is different"... it is different only in the kind of 'Lehman' that pops up, but the outcome is always the same.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by august
    08 pop of US property bubble was predicted. I sold all my stock end 07. It is the collapse of Lehman etc and subsequent credit freeze that was unpredicted. If u recall spore pty stalled for most of 08, but after Lehman the real dip and correction began.

    currently we may be close to experiencing something similar heading into 2013. What is absent is the 'Lehman' element. Govts r better prepared this time, so as long as no Lehman happens we will probably continue to cruise at stall speed. Ppl say "this time it is different"... it is different only in the kind of 'Lehman' that pops up, but the outcome is always the same.
    Bro, subprime was the cause of the bubble lah... How to lend to people who cannot even afford and when real interest rate kick in, people cannot pay wat... Would the recession be so bad if Lehman did not collapse??? The whole banking stopped lending money leh... It is like a car without engine oil... Retrenchment caused the deep recession...

    I am talking about major recession... Minor recession, recovery will be fast. people dont lose job, houses will not be sold...

    Look at 09, was the recovery fast??? IF it was long and deep, what would happen??? Hahahahaha

    The unexpected can never be prepared .... It will just happen... And it happens with Euphoria - like the US property bubble, the dot com era, when everyone talks about 4 tigers.

    If economy grows at 2.5% per year, whats there to pop???

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Sis, she checked the wrong bank account lah... Too many accouts opened...

    I also check my account than wonder why so little only to realise the money are all in the other few accounts... When people > 45, such things happens.

    Thats why I type, so I can remember what I just said. Hahahahaha

    me don't mind to have a few god-brothers or god sisters from this forum..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Similar Threads

  1. Aramco says world's spare oil supplies falling rapidly
    By reporter2 in forum Coffeeshop Talk
    Replies: 0
    -: 26-10-21, 18:26
  2. Ultra-rich families with cash to spare piling into private debt
    By reporter2 in forum Finance and Legal
    Replies: 0
    -: 05-05-20, 12:24
  3. Replies: 7
    -: 11-03-20, 10:39
  4. Property agents woo cash-rich in China
    By mr funny in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 0
    -: 15-07-11, 01:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •