Thread: Save the Earth

Default Save the Earth

What will you all do to help to save the earth?

Quote Originally Posted by irisng

Bring along ur own paper bag carrier when shopping.
    Switch from aircon to fans at home
    Set aircon to 26deg or warmer at offices and homes

I bring the plastic bags from my home to the office for recycle. When customers ask: "wow, why so poor, use used plastic bags," then I'll answer "save the earth mah".

My friend tear the tissue paper into half, she said clean the mouth only, don't need so big pc of paper. The other half still can use it for other time.

This thing about plastic bag i really don't understand.
    I use plastic bags to bag my trash.
    So the last time when some supermarkets stop giving out plastic for free, I ran out of plastic bags for my trash and had to buy trash bags which are plastic bags. So now I am relieved that plastic bags are being given out for free at most supermarkets.
    How do you all dispose of your trash?

I use electric fan instead of aircon. I switch to a car of smaller engine capacity. And I try to recycle plastic bottles by using them at least twice before throwing them in recycle bins.

The semakau landfill is filling up with rubbish super fast. Very soon, the phase 1 cells would be completely filled up and we would have to move on to the phase 2 cells.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    So the last time when some supermarkets stop giving out plastic for free, I ran out of plastic bags for my trash and had to buy trash bags which are plastic bags. So now I am relieved that plastic bags are being given out for free at most supermarkets.
    I thought supermarkets stop providing plastic bags only on certain day of the week. I also use plastic bags for my trash. Everytime when I have plastic bags, I will keep those that are clean so that when I need it, I'll have it. If have too much plastic bags already, I'll bring it to my office for recycle. I use the plastic bottles to store my used deep frying cooking oil which I intend to throw away later. During meal time , I'll throw the meat/chicken bones on the used papers (photocopy/magazines) first before throwing them into the main rubbish bins.

My company uses the other side of the photocopy paper (no longer require the data) to reprint/photostat again so that both sides are being used but that's for our internal filing/reference only.

My friend tear the tissue paper into half, she said clean the mouth only, don't need so big pc of paper. The other half still can use it for other time.
    this one bordering on stingy leh...

for me, i recycle unused paper. sometimes i bring paper from office home to throw into recycle bin (not sensitive ones lah). asking me to give up car is kinda of hard.

i also try not to take plastic bags from retailers if i could avoid it. i am talking abt small size plastic bags. i agree that big size ones can be used to bag trash, so those i will take. in fact, sometimes when i buy something small and they give me small bag i will ask for bigger bag so it can be used for trash.

- paperless work
    - use fan instead of aircon
    - take public transport instead of car

so far, this is what have been doing..

in fact, you can say i am a thrifty person.. but glad my effort make a difference for the mother earth.

what i see is 'air-con' and 'car' will be hard to take away for property agent, professional.. but maybe just increase air-con temp to 25-26.
    then use gas powered car? not a guru in car... so , can't comment much.
    oh, there is also electric powered car in near future.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

When I read a report with many coloured heading , box with colorful filled up box, i alway asked the write that is it necessary to colour? Use the colour when necessary , eg bring attention to certain wording , diff colour in graph to differentiate etc are ok ..

is so common now that ppl Just print colour ...

It waste ink , and do damage to environment and cost more to print ..

in HK, u need to use you own bags in the superb, else they will charge u for the plastic bags used.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    in HK, u need to use you own bags in the superb, else they will charge u for the plastic bags used.
    most european countries too..

When u do recycling, please separate the materials properly, paper in one bag, plastic in another, glass in another etc. this is to ensure the materials get properly recycled.

Most retailers just give out plastic bag for anything u buy. Eg when u buy a small pen they give u a small plastic bag, when u buy another can of drink they give u another plastic bag. For trash disposal, probably u only need one bigger plastic bag a day, we can cut down on the unnecessary plastic bag

REDUCE - i find this significant. Food we buy and eat, things we buy and use. When people are more cautious and buy only what they need, we probably can save more than 25% of what we need now.

I find many people like to buy unnecessary or excess things and let them rot or collect dust. Food makers are also to blame as they also price it to make ppl buy more (e.g. buy twin pack milk at $5 while one cost $3).

Quote Originally Posted by bsslang
    REDUCE - i find this significant. Food we buy and eat, things we buy and use. When people are more cautious and buy only what they need, we probably can save more than 25% of what we need now.

I find many people like to buy unnecessary or excess things and let them rot or collect dust. Food makers are also to blame as they also price it to make ppl buy more (e.g. buy twin pack milk at $5 while one cost $3).
    on this point, smaller condo unit helps to save the earth. due to limited storage space, all the more we stop buying on impulse at ikea or other places.

Especially there's a sales on. People tend to buy things that they don't require and in the end become a "white elephant". But again, if people don't buy things, then the economy will not grow leh, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    When u do recycling, please separate the materials properly, paper in one bag, plastic in another, glass in another etc. this is to ensure the materials get properly recycled.
    Agree. I have seen ppl abusing the recycle bins and treat them as normal garbage bins. It's a pain to sort out the recyclable items from the garbage. All these are done manually by human hands

If "ta pao" to go home and eat, normally I will not take the packet chilli or wooden chopsticks if I don't need it.

I use both plastic bags (small or big) to throw my trash. Most of the times, smaller plastic bags will use in kitchen when I throw away my spoilt vegetables, chicken fat or garlic/shallot skin etc. Big plastic bags will use for rubbish like papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    Most retailers just give out plastic bag for anything u buy. Eg when u buy a small pen they give u a small plastic bag, when u buy another can of drink they give u another plastic bag. For trash disposal, probably u only need one bigger plastic bag a day, we can cut down on the unnecessary plastic bag
    Some retailers will ask you whether you need a plastic bag or not especially if the item is small and they are the owner of the shop, this will help them to cut down cost also but some will not especially if the shop does not belong to them, you buy 1 thing and pay, she will give you 1 plastic bag, then later you realise that you have forgotten to buy some other things, then you buy again, she will give you another plastic bag, normally I will tell her to put in the same plastic bags, no point wasting.

If "ta pao" to go home and eat, normally I will not take the packet chilli or wooden chopsticks if I don't need it.

I use both plastic bags (small or big) to throw my trash. Most of the times, smaller plastic bags will use in kitchen when I throw away my spoilt vegetables, chicken fat or garlic/shallot skin etc. Big plastic bags will use for rubbish like papers.
    Yup, I also reuse the small plastic bags.
    They can be very useful for ladies .
    Can't imagine life without plastic bags.

Especially there's a sales on. People tend to buy things that they don't require and in the end become a "white elephant". But again, if people don't buy things, then the economy will not grow leh, how?
    I am no expert in economy. But if people get richer at the expense of the earth, the wealth equates nothing when eventually our earth becomes poorer and is no longer suitable for living.

I am no expert in economy. But if people get richer at the expense of the earth, the wealth equates nothing when eventually our earth becomes poorer and is no longer suitable for living.
    So serious ah, people will still buy things one lah, but buy only when necessary lor. I have a friend, during sales, she bought 12 pcs of bra at one go, then in the end find that some of them are actually too small for her.

If I remember correctly, I think there was once, someone encouraged us to spend money to boost up the "not so good" economy, am I right? We also have Great Singapore Sales every year.
    Last edited by irisng; 03-12-12 at 22:21.

So serious ah, people will still buy things one lah, but buy only when necessary lor. I have a friend, during sales, she bought 12 pcs of bra at one go, then in the end find that some of them are actually too small for her.

If I remember correctly, I think there was once, someone encouraged us to spend money to boost up the "not so good" economy, am I right? We also have Great Singapore Sales every year.
    yea... must spend to keep the economy going..
    it is a cycle la..

quite funny @ your friend's bra mega sale..
    she dunno her size meh?

or maybe her neh become bigger overnight? lol !!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

LOL......
    That's why I scared to buy alot of things at a sale.
    Supposedly save money but if you don't think properly and just buy and buy, in the end cannot wear then it is equivalent to wasting that amount of money. And also will have the headache of where to store the unused stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    or maybe her neh become bigger overnight? lol !!
    Aiyoh, you are so funny also. No trying for that particular sales lor, she took the size that she needs but somehow different brands have different cutting, so it ended up like that lor.
    Last edited by irisng; 04-12-12 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    most european countries too..
    Same for China's supermarket.

LOL......
    That's why I scared to buy alot of things at a sale.
    Supposedly save money but if you don't think properly and just buy and buy, in the end cannot wear then it is equivalent to wasting that amount of money. And also will have the headache of where to store the unused stuff.
    Nowadays I only buy things that I need, no longer like last time, when it was cheap, will buy and buy, in the end don't know where to put or have to give away to friends/relatives who may need it, waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Malaysia also. I went to Tesco at KSL to buy things, if you use your own plastic bags, they will pay you a few cents and will deduct this amount from your bill. I couldn't remember how much is it.

For Jusco in JB, there's one day where they don't provide plastic bags, so have to bring along your own plastic bags. Oh dear, I'm getting old already, couldn't remember which day also, so long never go to JB already.

I think the supermarkets should give us a big trash bag if we spend a certain amount and don't take any of their small plastic bags.
    Then I will definitely bring my own recycled bags.

I think the supermarkets should give us a big trash bag if we spend a certain amount and don't take any of their small plastic bags.
    Then I will definitely bring my own recycled bags.
    Good suggestion! Best if the Bag is big, durable and foldable!