Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singapore top asian country to be born in.

Default Singapore top asian country to be born in.

Singapore is top Asian country to be born in - The Economist
    Well ahead of HK...

http://www.economist.com/news/215664...3-lottery-life

depend la..

if you are rich, definitely not a problem
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

If you are poor should even more need to be born in Singapore as Singapore is one of the few countries in Asia with strong upward mobility if you work hard and smart.

I'm one of them

what upward mobility?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    what upward mobility?
    To get out of poverty; to move up the social ladder

LOL most important is born rich, nationality is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    To get out of poverty; to move up the social ladder
    I agree with you. This is in part it's strong legal system, no nonsense politics as well meritocracy based soceity.

what meritocracy? how many qualified people out there do you think can replace the new cohort of MIW? Some people just became MP can be minister, and one barely singaporean gal who just received citizenship can be an MP representing born and bred citizens, do you think merit is the only factor in the equation? If govt talk about meritocracy, have to lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    I agree with you. This is in part it's strong legal system, no nonsense politics as well meritocracy based soceity.
    Last edited by Regulators; 29-11-12 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    what meritocracy? how many qualified people out there do you think can replace the new cohort of MIW? Some people just became MP can be minister, and one barely singaporean gal who just received citizenship can be an MP representing born and bred citizens, do you think merit is the only factor in the equation? If govt talk about meritocracy, have to lead by example.
    "men and women are equals. but women are more privileged"

this was largely in the past, less so today. Just look at their handling of the PRC bus driver strike.

Yoy Yoy ...

Strong legal system .... look at the toothless and the laughing stock Law Society at Ravi's saga

No nonsenese politics - one dominating party doing National CONverstaion ...

Meritocracy .. more like merileetocracy (who you know..)

Make the young think about nothing but chasing 4 C until they you forget basic emotion... most emotionlees society ..complaint society

Fill the stomach .. dulled the mind ...

Blur sotong .. Blue sotong ...

hey congrats it's all about your hard work..!!

it's not all meritocracy. try asking aspiring lawyers and doctors, who scored real well for A levels, but failed even to obtain an interview with NUS.

and certainly you are not trying to convince us that Tin Pei Ling became an MP because of her capabilities eh?!

There is a famous saying bya great guru.....

Its not ur fault if u are born poor but its ur fault if u die poor.....he died po

Tintin is a joke till this day
    Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    it's not all meritocracy. try asking aspiring lawyers and doctors, who scored real well for A levels, but failed even to obtain an interview with NUS.

and certainly you are not trying to convince us that Tin Pei Ling became an MP because of her capabilities eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Tintin is a joke till this day
    I sometimes wonder why she chose to work so hard and get all the negative comments!

If I were her, I would have a few children and be a tai tai!

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    I sometimes wonder why she chose to work so hard and get all the negative comments!

Aiya Kate Spade needs more money to buy more Kate Spade ma

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk

hard to define what is working hard. to her, at that age, that kind of salary. i dun tink working very hard. life in big 4 is much much harder. MP job is merely an overpaid social worker. of course a voluntary social workers gets more dignity, while the MP gets the respect

MP is merely a stepping stone. what's more impt is whether she got enuff substance to make it to the next level.. listco director, consultant, using her MP background. or next President. otherwise, this is a useless stepping stone. and worse, got no professional experience to build up CV

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    hard to define what is working hard. to her, at that age, that kind of salary. i dun tink working very hard. life in big 4 is much much harder. MP job is merely an overpaid social worker. of course a voluntary social workers gets more dignity, while the MP gets the respect

MP is merely a stepping stone. what's more impt is whether she got enuff substance to make it to the next level.. listco director, consultant, using her MP background. or next President. otherwise, this is a useless stepping stone. and worse, got no professional experience to build up CV
    Bro, if I not mistaken, her hubby perm sec... U know how much they earn?? Hahahaha....

Bro, u Singaporean? For the complaining part, hear Michael Jackson song, there is a phrase "the change begins with you".

Sometimes, I wonder why people make their lives so miserable by complaining... If people are so not satisfied with the govt, they can do a few things :
    A. Don't accept
    1. Join opposition
    2. Join PAP

B. Accept
    Accept the system and make it work for you. Then u will be a happier person.

Remember, it all begins with you...

Bitching helps only if u find a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Way_I_See_It
    Yoy Yoy ...

Strong legal system .... look at the toothless and the laughing stock Law Society at Ravi's saga

No nonsenese politics - one dominating party doing National CONverstaion ...

Meritocracy .. more like merileetocracy (who you know..)

Make the young think about nothing but chasing 4 C until they you forget basic emotion... most emotionlees society ..complaint society

Fill the stomach .. dulled the mind ...

Blur sotong .. Blue sotong ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz

it's a good stepping stone. look at ng ser miang, who wasn't even an MP, when handling YOG.

blew budget by 3 times, had a mediocre games with questionable (probably negative) ROI, but yet still got hired to be WBL's chairman. and given his track record, bring the company into the red again!!

point to make, politics makes good stepping stones, even for people without substance.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, u Singaporean? For the complaining part, hear Michael Jackson song, there is a phrase "the change begins with you".

Sometimes, I wonder why people make their lives so miserable by complaining... If people are so not satisfied with the govt, they can do a few things :
    A. Don't accept
    1. Join opposition
    2. Join PAP

B. Accept

i agree with you brother.. the way i see it that singpaporeans love their country but they are too hard on themselves.. some even think that there are perfect government in the world..
    it is just like my late father, he criticised all the mistakes i made but come short when I did the right things.. to him this is to encourage me to be better...but we are all human beings right... we will make mistake but when we do something right we need a pat on the shoulder also mah...

same thing for the government, where got perfect.. little mistake here and there got so many ungracious comments...

Bro, if I not mistaken, her hubby perm sec... U know how much they earn?? Hahahaha....
    perm sec already? last time LHL PA right... anyway, take it that her pay use to buy kate spate. now become MP, can upgrade to hermis or whatever. aiya, bag not my cup of tea lah. give me, one month buy one rolex or half a year, buy one PP.. also shiok.. hubby pay for everything else.

A. Don't accept
    1. Join opposition
    2. Join PAP

B. Accept

my idol ..

Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    i agree with you brother.. the way i see it that singpaporeans love their country but they are too hard on themselves.. some even think that there are perfect government in the world..
    it is just like my late father, he criticised all the mistakes i made but come short when I did the right things.. to him this is to encourage me to be better...but we are all human beings right... we will make mistake but when we do something right we need a pat on the shoulder also mah...

same thing for the government, where got perfect.. little mistake here and there got so many ungracious comments...
    Bro, I tell u honestly, I used to criticized govt like crazy, last election I pull hair, scream, feel so sad for the "poor", blah, blah, blah...

Then I woke up one day and say, hey what the shit, why I feel so down everyday? I took the step to change... Now I am a very happy man, I look at things very positively and I work the system...

I fully agree with you, MOTIVATION by ENCOURAGEMENT
    Only and only when it doesn't work, then sadly - motivation by fear.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    it's a good stepping stone. look at ng ser miang, who wasn't even an MP, when handling YOG.

blew budget by 3 times, had a mediocre games with questionable (probably negative) ROI, but yet still got hired to be WBL's chairman. and given his track record, bring the company into the red again!!

point to make, politics makes good stepping stones, even for people without substance.
    so blow budget ng ser miang's fault or vivian's fault? or both? how come vivian din really get promoted. just lateral move.

Bro, I tell u honestly, I used to criticized govt like crazy, last election I pull hair, scream, feel so sad for the "poor", blah, blah, blah...

Then I woke up one day and say, hey what the shit, why I feel so down everyday? I took the step to change... Now I am a very happy man, I look at things very positively and I work the system...

Cheers
    got more example or detail why u change?
    is it because of $$$ you earn from condo?

Cheers
    actually none of us here should be unhappy with the govt. all toking about 2nd/3rd/4th ppty... wtf you guys complaining about??

no 10k grant for next PC?

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    got more example or detail why u change?
    is it because of $$$ you earn from condo?
    Bro, it wasn't the money.... Money was never an issue for me since the mid thirties for me...

The change was my perception of things... I found out complaining about the govt only stirred more frustration in me...
    I was mixing with people who were so anti and we just spent our time complaining and bitching...
    One day my wifey asked me why I always look so frustrated?
    I then reflected on it and said, shit... I cannot do anything about it man... But this feeling is slowly but surely eating into me...
    I changed by trying to understand why the govt is doing all this. If I were them and did it differently, what would be the potential result?? I found out, they were doing things which may be "bad" for the people but important for the country.

Give u example... U have 1 mil and 3 kids... All 3 kids want to buy car and ask u for the money, will u buy for them? Will u want them to work and be self dependent? The 1 mil is the coffer of Singapore, the 3 kids are the 3mil plus citizen, the car could be the medical, etc... But I do feel more need to be given to the "poor". But to do that, we need to raise more taxes, the impact is more bitching and also make us not "competitive" against hk.

So change begins for me with having a positive attitude.... And preparing for what is lacking for me in the system... Then I help myself...

Oh btw, I confess I am
    1. Not pro pap
    2. Not anti pap
    3 am neutral and there is no perfect govt.

Name me a perfect woman or man?

on the contrary, i mix with a lot of pro-PAP friends (i myself considered middle ground but leaning towards anti on a 51/49 scale). the way they sing praises of the ruling party.. blindly.. everything good, everything for the country, everything for the future, they have done everything right in the past. i call it blind faith. for the record, these are friends who are in the running for future BBM/MP, etc. all high level, kaki with MP type. or family member of MPs.

and i can tell you.. it F-king turns me off. with all due respect, it reminds me of a certain religion who tell you their religion is the one and only one in the world.

i think.. the PAP has done well. but they are too buried in their own success. example: MBT and his HDB story. elitism breeds elitism, and it has become some form of "incest". what do you get when the entire generation marries within the family? the future generation gene pool gets diluted and sick. it becomes tunnel vision. that's whats happening with each new generation of ministers. more and more civil servants. less and less commercial/business/"real world" people.

i do not think all this mudslinging on the internet is healthy. TRE/real singapore websites are just protesting for the sake of protesting. that is not right.

but we do need to strike a good balance in between. GE2011 has done right, but as long as the PAP does good work from now on, i have no complains.