Thread: 'Neighbours' get together even before flats are built

Default 'Neighbours' get together even before flats are built

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...built-20121126

'Neighbours' get together even before flats are built

Young couples set up online groups to share info and kindle kampung spirit

Published on Nov 26, 2012

By Melody Zaccheus

EVEN before the foundations of their new Housing Board flats have been laid, young Singaporean couples are flocking to Facebook to forge ties with others in the same neighbourhood.

Setting up informal online groups and communities, they share information about the units they have bought, upload snapshots of facilities in their future neighbourhoods, and exchange tips and advice on, for example, how to apply for home loans.

Most of the 40 Build-To-Order (BTO) projects released by HDB this year have had Facebook communities set up by the flats' new owners. One such Facebook page is called Punggol Waterway SunDew. The group's administrator, Mr Jonah Chew, 26, said most of the 400 members are around his age and not entirely clear about HDB procedures.

"We broadcast information to clarify procedures, such as what the loan assessment process is like," said the marketing and operations executive. "It helps too that there are more experienced ones buying their second flats."

Project manager Wilfred Tan, 37, has set up two online communities. One is linked to six BTO projects in Punggol, including his own, Waterway Ridges, which will be ready in 2015. It has 511 Facebook "likes".

The other group is for future residents of Waterway Ridges and Waterway Banks and has almost 600 members. He said he hopes to rekindle the kampung spirit, encourage the development of a close-knit community, and eventually have a "fun and happening place to live in".

National University of Singapore communications and new media lecturer Gui Kai Chong said the trend to build community relations online is a positive one.

The presence of these people on an online network, who are known by their real names and photos, is "significant because it increases the sense of familiarity among people who would otherwise be total strangers", he said.

He added that the prevalence and scale of these groups increases the likelihood of these online relationships being translated to offline ones.

Those who have joined the groups said it makes sense for them to start getting to know the couples whose children will one day play alongside theirs, and to foster neighbourly ties early.

Mr Chew said he expected the online community to evolve and include topics such as renovation works closer to the flats' completion date, and later, discussions on childcare centres and the primary school application process, as members grow older.

Mr Abel Chai, 27, a business development assistant manager who has bought a flat at Compassvale Boardwalk in Sengkang, said he joined his BTO's online community to break the ice and experience the good old kampung days his father always speaks of.

"We have become a little too indifferent as a society, so I thought it would be nice to get to know each other beforehand, as we are going to be neighbours for the next 10 or 20 years," he said.

[email protected]

i thought of the waterview and skies miltonia threads when i read this article...

suddenly it occur to me only mass market projects owners do this. never see like Hamilton at Scotts owner fb group for example...

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    i thought of the waterview and skies miltonia threads when i read this article...

suddenly it occur to me only mass market projects owners do this. never see like Hamilton at Scotts owner fb group for example...
    Because their owners dun stay there. Also, too busy making money. Or they congregate at expatssingapore. Get the idea?

This thing more relevant for own stayers than landlords i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    Because their owners dun stay there. Also, too busy making money. Or they congregate at expatssingapore. Get the idea?

This thing more relevant for own stayers than landlords i think.
    the real logical reason is the bulk buying and hdb camaraderie behaviours being hard to shake off...

leopard may chg their territories and surroundings but the spots remain...

for me i chose private housing exactly for that - privacy.

the real logical reason is the bulk buying and hdb camaraderie behaviours being hard to shake off...

leopard may chg their territories and surroundings but the spots remain...

for me i chose private housing exactly for that - privacy.
    hmmm.. so you are saying you do not speak to anyone in your estate? so anti-social ah?

i dun quite agree (not becoz i stay in hdb and bot SM). i am quite anti-social also, i dun take the initiative to talk to my neighbours, but if they talk to me, i will be nice about it and chat with them lah. otherwise i prefer to mind my own biz.

i dun see how it has got anything to do with privacy leh. or hdb vs mass mkt condo vs high end condo. i got a fren who is a HNW individual who owns several pptys and stay in a condo in bkt timah area. the last time i pop by his house, i could see he practically knew everyone in his small condo (about 100+ units).

we were walking up to his house, and at the carpark entrance, a merc stopped and the driver chatted with him. after that, he told me that was the founder of a certain equipment co (quite famous in sgp). later in the lift, he met another neighbour and they talked abt something else. all this for networking. rich men need rich men contact even more. just that they dun do so on FB, they do it in person. i tot private estate pple being more atas, would need the network more, no? so that you know which stocks to buy and what connections can help you in your biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    hmmm.. so you are saying you do not speak to anyone in your estate? so anti-social ah?

i dun quite agree (not becoz i stay in hdb and bot SM). i am quite anti-social also, i dun take the initiative to talk to my neighbours, but if they talk to me, i will be nice about it and chat with them lah. otherwise i prefer to mind my own biz.

i dun see how it has got anything to do with privacy leh. or hdb vs mass mkt condo vs high end condo. i got a fren who is a HNW individual who owns several pptys and stay in a condo in bkt timah area. the last time i pop by his house, i could see he practically knew everyone in his small condo (about 100+ units).

we were walking up to his house, and at the carpark entrance, a merc stopped and the driver chatted with him. after that, he told me that was the founder of a certain equipment co (quite famous in sgp). later in the lift, he met another neighbour and they talked abt something else. all this for networking. rich men need rich men contact even more. just that they dun do so on FB, they do it in person. i tot private estate pple being more atas, would need the network more, no? so that you know which stocks to buy and what connections can help you in your biz.
    aiyo. i only speaking about myself buying private becoz i dont like to mix ard. i am of the mentality that more people = more trouble. outside social butterfly sure no prob. but in my home ground i prefer to keep to myself. u know the saying dont eat where u shit...

aiyo. i only speaking about myself buying private becoz i dont like to mix ard. i am of the mentality that more people = more trouble. outside social butterfly sure no prob. but in my home ground i prefer to keep to myself. u know the saying dont eat where u shit...

Maybe skies and waterview owners are more friendly?
    Lucky you don't have units at mega sized projects with more than 700-900 units!

Quote Originally Posted by jacelynchia
    Maybe skies and waterview owners are more friendly?
    Lucky you don't have units at mega sized projects with more than 700-900 units!
    ha nor. thats just very not me la.... stressful n crowded

ah.. so the key word has popped up... social butterfly

Advertise advertise

natura@HILLVIEW

ha nor. thats just very not me la.... stressful n crowded
    Actually for me if the project is more than 500 units, I will shy away.
    My thoughts only, need to share with many others, hard to book certain facilities.
    Harder to sell due to competition and rent will affected as well.

I used to rent out my unit and the person always bargained, upstairs better view, down stairs cheaper......nightmare.

My thoughts only, need to share with many others, hard to book certain facilities.

I used to rent out my unit and the person always bargained, upstairs better view, down stairs cheaper......nightmare.
    but i do return smiles and quick small talk if the other party initiates la... esp since i stay on ground floor unit b4.... many many passersby lol

for big projects, no harm getting to know some neighbors
    by the time u need to book "hot" facilities, many hands work better than one
    you will find there will always be nice neighbors around, like helping to secure function room when clock strike midnight (1-vs-500 and 5-vs-500)

tenants will always b tenants
    they need to get best deal for themselves mah

if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    for big projects, no harm getting to know some neighbors
    by the time u need to book "hot" facilities, many hands work better than one
    you will find there will always be nice neighbors around, like helping to secure function room when clock strike midnight (1-vs-500 and 5-vs-500)

tenants will always b tenants
    they need to get best deal for themselves mah
    I understand your point but the more units, more competition, the more tenants can hunt for the perfect unit at their most ideal price and the more they can bargain.....which is nightmare.

Selling even worse, the not so good units asking high price, no chance if competition is high, eg more than 600 units, hard to sell right?

dont forget seaesta...sun sea sand..laughter

stay gnd flr nobody tell u downstairs cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    stay gnd flr nobody tell u downstairs cheaper...
    haha, end of the end, some tenants just want to drill their landlords and sometimes say regret leasing and stuff, lease about to end, want to continue but request cheaper rent months before lease ends or else threaten.

If meet this kind of tenants, agents also cannot help much, if we insist not to agree then agent would recommend tenant elsewhere then landlord suffer.

That's why I say, overcrowding will increase competition as tenants have more opportunity to bargain.