Thread: Dennis Phua: If you have plans to migrate, please stay...

Default Dennis Phua: If you have plans to migrate, please stay...

https://www.facebook.com/denise.phua...78133255562116

Do Stay

Last week, my young undergraduate friend shared that he has made up his mind about his future. He shall complete his degree; join the civil service for a few years to make some money; pack off and migrate overseas. His reason for wanting to leave Singapore is his disappointment with the government and the people here.

Some time ago, an affluent Singaporean couple told me that their grown son is unlikely to return to Singapore after his overseas studies and exposure. His reason for wanting to leave Singapore is that the playing field of our country is too ‘small’ for him. They said that there would be insufficient space in Singapore for their child’s ambition and talent.

My uneasiness grew as I read 2 other local survey reports of persons who have or planning to migrate if given a chance.

Indeed, many Singaporeans have been educated to the extent that they do have the option to emigrate to anywhere they wish. But is there nothing worthwhile in Singapore for which we choose to stay? (新加坡难道就没有值得我们留下来的理由吗?) What will our country be if more and more of our locally born and bred choose to leave for what they believe are greener pastures overseas?

From a clinical perspective, some may think I am overly concerned. Global survey firm, Gallop, has conducted regular surveys on how countries rank on Potential Net Migration Index (PNMI). PNMI effectively measures the number of people who want to permanently move into a country versus those who wish to move out of the same country. A positive PNMI denotes that the number moving in exceeds the number moving out.

According to Gallop, Singapore is rated as one of the top attractive migration destinations in the world, together with New Zealand, Canada and Switzerland – all of whom enjoy very positive PNMIs, meaning there are more people wanting to move into Singapore than those who want to leave Singapore. On the surface, it looks as if there is no real reason for concern.

So why do I feel lousy when Singaporeans I know or don’t know choose to permanently leave our country? Why do I deeply wish especially for those who are born and bred in Singapore to remain and construct a better future together with the rest of us who are staying?

My reasons are both sentimental and pragmatic. I will dearly miss those whom I know - like the young people I early shared with you about. But I am also reluctant to live in an environment characterised by a heavy traffic of immigrants and emigrants.

There is one additional personal reason – I could have been one of those Singaporeans who left Singapore permanently 15 years ago. I am now glad I did not.

15 years ago, I was devastated to discover that my young autistic son was not going to grow and develop normally like other children. I was even more devastated that my own country, Singapore, whilst boasting excellence in many things, did not pay much attention to this group of children and the adults they grow into.

The temptation to migrate was strong because my husband is an Australian University graduate. Had we migrated then, we would not only enjoy a social support network there but also a good education for my son there. As it turned out, we chose to stay on to see if we can make a difference, both for my son and many others like him.

Today, with the support of many advocates, volunteers and government, the amount of attention and financial and education support to this special community in Singapore has way surpassed the sad state of affairs 15 years ago.

Just this month, MOE has announced another slew of goodies such as new curriculum resources and $4.5million of fund to specially enhance computer education for special-needs students. Things may still not be perfect but because we stayed, my family has the privilege of witnessing ‘sea changes’ in the special-needs community in Singapore. I am glad I stayed.

The Our Singapore Conversations (OSG) that are now on-going amongst thousands of Singaporeans have revealed several common themes in terms of their Aspirations and their Angsts. These will be consolidated and reported in a few months’ time.

But one of the most significant questions that is posed to participants of OSG was “What can I do personally to help create the Singapore I wish to see?”

This question reminds me fondly of what one of my mentors, Dr Stephen Covey, taught me many years ago.

Dr Covey is the author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide. Dr Covey spoke of the importance of clearly defining our :
    • Circle of Concern in which are things over which we are unhappy about but have absolutely no control; and
    • Circle of Influence in which are things we can do something about to make a difference to the situation.

The key to a more fruitful life, Covey said, is not to stay focusing on concerns, leading to the enlargement of our circle of concern. The key is to actively seek out and work on things that we can do something about, no matter how small they seem at first. This way, each of us can stop feeding and growing our circle of concern and start enlarging our circle of influence in life.

There are so many people who have successfully done that :
    • Anne Sullivan, a visually-impaired orphan, fought to attend school and eventually became the lifelong teacher of Hellen Keller, a famous talented mute writer
    • Nancy Elliot, the mother of renowned scientist Thomas Edison, overcome the pain of having her son rejected by school and home-schooled Edison herself
    • John Newton, a former slave-trader turned priest, became the key advisor of William Wilberforce, a British Member of Parliament who successfully led a national campaign to abolish the slave trade in England in 1807

Anne Sullivan, Nancy Elliot and John Newton chose not to focus only on their concerns. They became the wind beneath the wings of success of their charges, even though not many have heard of them.

I encourage those of us who think Singapore is not good enough, to not give up on our country too easily. 请别轻易离开.

By all means, let's identify our concerns but let's also consider working at enlarging our circle of influence and help make Singapore one of the best homes ever.

Denise Phua Lay Peng My Paper Column 6 Nov 2012
    潘丽萍/ 摩绵加冷集选区议员/萍良心说/(我报)隔周二刊登
    Last edited by roly8; 17-11-12 at 21:28.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

wa-lah... Denise Phua becomes Dennis Phua...

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    wa-lah... Denise Phua becomes Dennis Phua...
    Haha... very funny.

They wanna go just go lah. New one are always ready to take their place.
    The country dont owe them a living.

"Last week, my young undergraduate friend shared that he has made up his mind about his future. He shall complete his degree; join the civil service for a few years to make some money; pack off and migrate overseas."

This sort of people, shall go immediately.
    Has yet to see the world of what is going on and made up this sort of decision.

Anyway, how to make money in civil service?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    "Last week, my young undergraduate friend shared that he has made up his mind about his future. He shall complete his degree; join the civil service for a few years to make some money; pack off and migrate overseas."

many Sargents sign on for 6 years for a lumpsum of $20k. to them thats a lot of money!

Personal exerience: fresh grad offered $3.5k in civil service, and only $2.6k in a big international firm.

So yes, in the initial years, can make money in civil service!

Must be scholar type material and as usual like the papers high flyers, SCREWED UP when our tax money goes to their education and working lifestyle in civil service.

true..
    but singapore is indeed too small to showcase your talent la.. limited in size & space.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Isnt it a little oxymoron, to not want to have to deal with the policy that was made, but join the civil service?

BTW, any clue when the word service is there, is there service provided at all?

if ur mind not here and heart not here better to just leave. then u will realise how good here is and come back as FT lol

Singapore is good in term of safety & cleanliness .

But how do future local young graduate going to showcase their talent in a foreign talent's infested 'tiny' country?

Either you give up and join the civil service.. me a guai guai boy/girl. get a stable job, get married, buy a flat and service your loan till you retire. produce baby for govt. be an obedient citizen.. help to support the "top" people in the pyramid ..

what is the point of living if you choose this safe route?
    wah piang

Your singapore, your 'hotel'

singapore is runby elitist nothing wrong with that if you want things to be smooth and clean.
    but if you not elite. just follow and toll the line....do well in school. serve ns and not break a limb. get hitched buy your first subsidised flat. get a good job..pay your mortage and cpf. go travel once a while...upgrade...and retire...spread your ashes...if u made a name for yourswlve and family have road name after u.....

some people in the world cant even do that and are here to take ur place..sinkies...

Plus the working experience may not be transferable. Bad plan indeed.

Singapore will become only a place to make money in years to come. V much like what our great grandparents n grandparents come to Singapore for decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFCO
    singapore is runby elitist nothing wrong with that if you want things to be smooth and clean.
    but if you not elite. just follow and toll the line....do well in school. serve ns and not break a limb. get hitched buy your first subsidised flat. get a good job..pay your mortage and cpf. go travel once a while...upgrade...and retire...spread your ashes...if u made a name for yourswlve and family have road name after u.....

some people in the world cant even do that and are here to take ur place..sinkies...
    you are right..

the fittest survive..

just how singapore want to drive up the competition in this small tiny island..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Keh
    Plus the working experience may not be transferable. Bad plan indeed.
    yea. if you go the civil service route, make sure you excel in the civil service sector... no point become a normal civil servant...
    must be the top 10% ...hopefully get into ministry post..

once again, the fittest & strongest get to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Singapore will become only a place to make money in years to come. V much like what our great grandparents n grandparents come to Singapore for decades ago.
    image of hongkong showing up..
    money money and more money

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    Singapore is good in term of safety & cleanliness .

But how do future local young graduate going to showcase their talent in a foreign talent's infested 'tiny' country?
    IMO, if future local young graduates can't even compete with the FT(which is the 2nd or 3rd talents from their own country), how can they go to their country to compete with their Top talents? i am saying both local and FT possess the same skill set. Unless the other country required your special expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar
    IMO, if future local young graduates can't even compete with the FT(which is the 2nd or 3rd talents from their own country), how can they go to their country to compete with their Top talents? i am saying both local and FT possess the same skill set. Unless the other country required your special expertise.
    company will offer to the one who can accept lower salary..
    A local breed singaporean study so hard and have a degree... end up getting lower salary in the competitive 'private sector'

so, the best & safe solution? join the civil service sector... iron rice bowl.. just follow law & the system created for 'you' lah.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFCO

singapore is a good place to lead a safe life. every thing also safe. govt also cover your backside well. but want to lead a very good life, not here.

"join the civil service for a few years to make some money; pack off and migrate overseas. His reason for wanting to leave Singapore is his disappointment with the government and the people here."

walau...disappointed with government yet join the civil service to make money

why not join the civil service to change it then? I think the govt and the people here are equally disappointed in him
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    "join the civil service for a few years to make some money; pack off and migrate overseas. His reason for wanting to leave Singapore is his disappointment with the government and the people here."

walau...disappointed with government yet join the civil service to make money

why not join the civil service to change it then? I think the govt and the people here are equally disappointed in him
    because it is nearly impossible to change anything in civic service unless you are super high up and not afraid of cock up. because... dun change, dun get screwed. change already if screw up, hantak kaki forever. SAF mentality. just go thru' motion.