Thread: Help...My daughter is taking Mandarin in P1..

Default Help...My daughter is taking Mandarin in P1..

My first daughter took hindi in P1...and for many many years i had a quarrel
    with my wife about this...and NOW the time has come for my no2 to go P1...so we have decided she is going to do mandarin as 2nd language...

Afterall India and China are the next superpowers...

Anyway coming from a non mandarin speaking background...any bro/sis got tips...to guide me thru...i also thinking of signing up for beginners mandarin or something.....so i can learn hand in hand with my kid...its nice to keep learning in life...especially when u grow old....otherwise the mind keep thinking of all kind of nonsense...

Afterall it is an asset...to know mandarin...right now i specialize in hokkien vulgarities......but i dont think thats going to get me anywhere maybe a black eye or something like that haha....

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

if you got a 3rd daughter, i guess you will send her for malay language (indonesian market)...

umm... for mandarin,... just employ carbuncle as tutor lor....

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    if you got a 3rd daughter, i guess you will send her for malay language (indonesian market)...
    bro...saya belajar melayu bila saya kecil...saya suka perempuan mealyu....si-bei sexy.....

translated it means i studied malay when young..and the sexy part go figure...

the quarrel with your wife was because you wanted your 1st daughter to do mandarin initially? so now for your 2nd she relented? ya... 3rd one should do malay-indonesian...

you better get your own family to learn mandarin ...

you will know how it benefit you in the long run..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by mkl22
    the quarrel with your wife was because you wanted your 1st daughter to do mandarin initially? so now for your 2nd she relented? ya... 3rd one should do malay-indonesian...
    ya really i not happy but she got support of my mother now many years later they realize...ha what the use of talking hindi in spore talk mandarin la...so no2 and maybe me going to learn mandarin...

You only have to know English and Mandarin to go around the world.

Every day turn on Channel 8.

i think the best languages for world wide use are English, mandarin and Spanish. i think you can cover almost 70% of the world's population liao.

Quote Originally Posted by mkl22
    i think the best languages for world wide use are English, mandarin and Spanish. i think you can cover almost 70% of the world's population liao.
    why spanish....so u can buy properties at spain firesale...

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis

umm... for mandarin,... just employ carbuncle as tutor lor....
    siao. my dad chinese teacher doesnt mean i got the teaching genes

he never taught me anyway. i even had to help him mark scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    My first daughter took hindi in P1...and for many many years i had a quarrel
    with my wife about this...and NOW the time has come for my no2 to go P1...so we have decided she is going to do mandarin as 2nd language...

Afterall India and China are the next superpowers...

Anyway coming from a non mandarin speaking background...any bro/sis got tips...to guide me thru...i also thinking of signing up for beginners mandarin or something.....so i can learn hand in hand with my kid...its nice to keep learning in life...especially when u grow old....otherwise the mind keep thinking of all kind of nonsense...

Afterall it is an asset...to know mandarin...right now i specialize in hokkien vulgarities......but i dont think thats going to get me anywhere maybe a black eye or something like that haha....
    if your kid have not gone thru the basic in kindergarten , suggest that u go for enrichment class NOW.....
    those din go thru during kindergarten will be lagging and struggle in P1, and that will demoralise them to pick up in P1

Engage a Chinese tutor (no choice unless your kid is super intelligent and quick to pick up).

I also did no Chinese in sch (was educated overseas) and my partner failed O level Chinese but my kids are OK (all qualified for Higher Chinese in upper Pri). We don't speak Chinese at home.

Some kids are good in languages. My dad was Chinese ed (born in China - 1st generation immigrant) but picked up Eng in Sec Sch. When he was a teenager, he picked up Tamil from the streets and also some Japanese during the occupation. He assisted the Japs to translate orders to the Indian coolies. He got some food rations in return. That's not bad for a young teenager (he was in his early teens at the time when he worked for the Japs). Unfortunately, neither his kids nor grandkids have such great ability for languages. Perhaps the next generation......

You guys only talk about property

三句话不离本行

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    You guys only talk about property

三句话不离本行
    yup most of time...

三句话不离本行
    never to say three sentences without talking about one's own work; can hardly open one's mouth without talking shop; never to begin a talk without referring to one's own line; talk always about one's own line; talk shop all the time

my first mandarin lesson....

radha08

I can teach your daughter Chinese, but you will have to teach me Property - at the moment, to buy a good unit for my own stay.

My children got all As in Chinese.

My grandfather is english educated and speaks fluent english, but he sent my dad to chinese sch and his chinese is good but english terok. End up i am good in neither....

spanish cause a huge population in south america. In most of the developed countries you can use english. In China , Mandarin. For India, English works. In developing markets the next biggest population speaks spanish.

My 12 years son doing the standard cambrige style english school. My 7 years old doing taiwan international school, with almost no english. I am not a competent chinese speaker myself. My son has to learn the complex chinese character. I pity him sometimes...

radha08

I can teach your daughter Chinese, but you will have to teach me Property - at the moment, to buy a good unit for my own stay.

My children got all As in Chinese.
    aiyo u asking wrong person la...i am property-GOONDU....going round and round in circles...but but but soon i will stop going round..tks to all the good bro/sis here....

i await the day with bated breast!!!!

aiyo u asking wrong person la...i am property-GOONDU....going round and round in circles...but but but soon i will stop going round..tks to all the good bro/sis here....
    just kidding lah, otherwise got nothing to say except asking questions about property

Jim Roger came to Sg to let his daughters to study Chinese.

For me, I got A for chinese as first language and F9 when I took it as second lauguage. It is not a joke, it is true

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    i await the day with bated breast!!!!
    trust me bro...may the breast be with you...

just kidding lah, otherwise got nothing to say except asking questions about property
    no prob sis i am the forum joker most of my post end with....

Read chinese newspaper. 晚报 or 早报. It helps. I slept thru my chinese class in school n still get A1 for it. My classmates damn tulan, haha...