Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Rooftop Pools

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    146

    Default Rooftop Pools

    Quite a few of the new condos now have rooftop pools due to space constraints. How do you guys feel about getting a unit directly below the pool? Anyone with any experience on this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    Quite a few of the new condos now have rooftop pools due to space constraints. How do you guys feel about getting a unit directly below the pool? Anyone with any experience on this?

    at most rain lor... its falling rain!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,990

    Default

    dont. .. if u have other choices

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    in fact i would avoid development with roof top swimming pool. Reason being gonna be a maintenance bomb for sure!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Ask the developer to built the wall between the pool and your roof transparent.

    So people swimming can see you sleeping and you can see people swimming.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    in fact i would avoid development with roof top swimming pool. Reason being gonna be a maintenance bomb for sure!
    If below swimming is something else like car park, ok to buy or not? At most don't buy car lah.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested
    If below swimming is something else like car park, ok to buy or not? At most don't buy car lah.
    best is those pool that is on the land. but this is increasingly rare. so the next best is those who carpark below.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,482

    Default

    i wonder if there's any issue with water leakages in future when you have such a big water body on the rooftop.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kane
    i wonder if there's any issue with water leakages in future when you have such a big water body on the rooftop.
    Swimming pools usually need to redo waterproofing after 10-15years.

    I would avoid a unit below pool. Top floor units are more prone to leaking problems as well

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    I honestly don't mind below the pool. For own stay-I quite pan tan.... So have to check implication.

    If it 'rains', no dispute. Caused by swimming pool. MCST has to fix this.so no need to worry.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    I honestly don't mind below the pool. For own stay-I quite pan tan.... So have to check implication.

    If it 'rains', no dispute. Caused by swimming pool. MCST has to fix this.so no need to worry.
    Bro, it is the inconvenience that is the real headache. Could take weeks to repair, and also someone need to be at home too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Bro, it is the inconvenience that is the real headache. Could take weeks to repair, and also someone need to be at home too.
    Bro, developer will scared until lau sai... If it rains on your furniture, they need to pay u leh.... They also need to pay for your external accomodation leh.... Bro, must know a bit of law to protect yourself leh....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,134

    Default

    talking about this type of apt...


    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...le-bluwaters-2

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, developer will scared until lau sai... If it rains on your furniture, they need to pay u leh.... They also need to pay for your external accomodation leh.... Bro, must know a bit of law to protect yourself leh....
    I believe the developer will only provide warranty for say 10 years? What happens if the problems arise after that? Own costs?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,134

    Default

    frankly i think all this type of pool thing are gimmicks i visit some new launch they got small pool and water feature at some of ground units but i was thinking like what for u got big pool in ur condo why need this....anyway others may like....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    I believe the developer will only provide warranty for say 10 years? What happens if the problems arise after that? Own costs?
    MCST issue.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    197

    Default Fine

    I see modern landed properties with roof top pools.

    If an owner can maintain his own pool surely a condo can do so.

    As technology advances and standard of living goes up roof top pool is not a problem. Just ensure it is a reputable developer.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Localite
    I see modern landed properties with roof top pools.

    If an owner can maintain his own pool surely a condo can do so.

    As technology advances and standard of living goes up roof top pool is not a problem. Just ensure it is a reputable developer.
    Your last statement is very important and agreeable.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Best to avoid. It's a problem waiting to happen. Better yet, avoid all units below the pool. The problem with water leakage is that the water flow is unpredictable. It can bypass a few units before springing out to the next one.

    Water-proofing is only good for 10-15 years if you are lucky. By that time, warranty has expired and you have to deal with the MCST to get the problem resolved. Very messy, painful and protracted process.

    Save yourself the hassle. Avoid the problem in the first place if you can.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    123

    Default

    What about this one?

    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...le-the-beverly

    The pool is yours. Even more headaches?

    But the price is discounted, which means you are paid for fixing the pool problems. Can stay for 5 years and then sell it?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    What about this one?

    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...le-the-beverly

    The pool is yours. Even more headaches?

    But the price is discounted, which means you are paid for fixing the pool problems. Can stay for 5 years and then sell it?
    wow thats scaring..

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    What about this one?

    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...le-the-beverly

    The pool is yours. Even more headaches?

    But the price is discounted, which means you are paid for fixing the pool problems. Can stay for 5 years and then sell it?
    Not just more headache, maybe even heart attack!

    Pool all yours also means problem all yours and mcst can wash hands shake legs. Just trackng and verifying the leak alone can set you back a few thousand bucks. Worse case scenario may need your pool to be hacked up to reach the watrproofing layer. Hopefully this may not need to happen if contractor has done a good job building the pool. Still despite the technology, such things have a limited shelf life. I hv not come across any waterproofing w lifetime wrty so far.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    Quite a few of the new condos now have rooftop pools due to space constraints. How do you guys feel about getting a unit directly below the pool? Anyone with any experience on this?
    Buildings are subjected to lateral movements, over period of time, that will form crack line and result in water sleepage..Nn matter how good the water proofing, it on guarentee for 5 years...

    Pool on the ground may also subject to crack, but at least the water seep into the soil below and not your hse

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Probably the first 5-10 years nothing much to worry about, but then if you want to sell, the next buyer might start to worry.

    Thanks everyone for feedback. From the sound of it, it seems better to avoid buying unit below pool!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/project/the-merlot-403

    I ever own a unit at The Merlot.. units from 2nd to 15th flr.. the pool is on the rooftop on the 16th flr.. all sharing

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    To digress a bit, it seems to be "fashionable" to build a swimming pool in houses these days, even not-so-large houses. I see a house down my road being built and they state that there's a swimming pool but the house itself is so monstrous big, I can't even see the pool. I personally would prefer to not have the hassle of maintaining a pool in my house, I would rather use the country club's pool. I don't see much point in having a small pool in your house if you can barely swim a decent distance in it. I even read an advertisement recently for a house with a rooftop pool (landed property).

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    what is the largest / longest rooftop pool u've seen? other than MBS's skypool of course.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by price
    what is the largest / longest rooftop pool u've seen? other than MBS's skypool of course.
    Space@Kovan BUC will have 30m rooftop pool. Suites De Laurel is 18-20m I think.

Similar Threads

  1. POO in POOLs
    By proud owner in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 3
    -: 28-11-17, 22:33
  2. Secret Singapore: Car park rooftop gardens
    By princess_morbucks in forum Coffeeshop Talk
    Replies: 0
    -: 21-04-14, 14:09
  3. China's latest rooftop building: a temple
    By reporter2 in forum HDB, EC, commercial and industrial property discussion
    Replies: 0
    -: 22-08-13, 18:41
  4. HDB: More rooftop gardens on the way
    By reporter2 in forum HDB, EC, commercial and industrial property discussion
    Replies: 0
    -: 06-03-13, 17:58
  5. Maids and condo pools - a different take
    By mr funny in forum HDB, EC, commercial and industrial property discussion
    Replies: 8
    -: 24-08-09, 11:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •