Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mass market condo..how to pick a gem?

Default Mass market condo..how to pick a gem?

With the thousands of new launch mass market condos
    Being developed what would you consider to be a niche unit or
    Development.....?

Near mrt mall international sch seaview low density high floor pool facing...big balcony patio
    Etc etc...

Moving forward i think its not whether one should buy but
    WHAT one should buy....

Nb this another tcss thread not aiming at anyone or
    Talking about anyone especially myself

Buy the cheapest, seaview, near MRT, shopping mall, international schools, high floor without west sun, good finishing unit.

Initially, a friend of mine really think that's in reality it is not difficult
    to get one.
    It has been 4 years, he still hasn't found his dream home.

It is easy when you buy a normal electronic product.
    Just go to HN, courts, Best Denki, quote the model &
    compare the price and buy.

But come to PC, I find that it is always not transparent to
    the buyers. Prices are secretive, agents always give evasive
    comments like near future MRT, oh it face the sun at an angle,
    already 5% discount, better grab it, etc.
    Why govt does not want impose developer/agents give accurate necessary infos in the sale requirements. Have them display in showroom.
    Or is it buyers are too fussy?

Whenever I step into showroom, agents always ask buying for stay or investment. Always tell them both. Whichever answer, they will say it is a good buy anyway.

I wonder is this the same practice in other countries?

hmm you are right...plus this thing about vvip preview and collecting blank cheque even before launch makes it all the more difficult for un-seasoned players....

Easy to view/buy resale cos its already built but new launch you just buying whats on paper so just have to trust your heart i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Easy to view/buy resale cos its already built but new launch you just buying whats on paper so just have to trust your heart i guess...

Happy Deepavali Brother Radha08 !!!

Hope you are successful in your investment house hunting !!!

but cannot trust the heart. got to go through the brain.

work through yourself or with like-minded friends (or gurus) :

(R)easons for buying - the whys? is it necessary? for investment or own stay? this question is important cos the strategy is different. good for agent to know too, so that they can find a suitable unit - win/win for both actually.

(I)deation - what is your understanding of the market now? use the past as a reference only, and make your prediction of the market in the future. for yield or capital or both, or even wealth preservation, etc.

(C)oncerns - your concerns - any? more cooling measures? rental glut? holding power? correction? opportunity cost? etc...

(E)xpectations - yours and the market's. what do you hope to achieve? achievable?? what is the next buyer's expectations??

aiya you are expert in all these already !!!

other than this RICE approach, it is very important to work through practical examples.

OCR vs CCR
    OCR already went up so much vs CCR. for the same 1mil, on average CCR went up by much lesser percentage than OCR over last 2-3 years. of course, also depends on projects. going forward, with OCR peaking, maybe relatively better to go for CCR now?

OCR with special qualities
    eg near mrt, schools, amenities, etc.
    is the extra future priced premium worth it??

which projects?
    got to compare adjacent ones...
    new vs subsale nearing top vs resale

once a few identified, which units? facing? cost? sellers willing to sell? price? how much premium you willing to pay?

there is so much to do...
    all boring stuff if done alone.
    good if can discuss with gurus - get new insights, strategies, etc.

lots of angles to cover while you zoom in and decide...
    thanks to all the gurus here for their sharing of invaluable insights as well as my own circle of gurus, i managed to make that first step some time back.

that is so much mental stimulation and stress with the tons of considerations... once my own due diligence has been done to satisfy myself, next is to have spousal consent, hopefully not get vetoed, else it just becomes an academic exercise.

if not really going in, then just come here to tcss only.

finally, bro radha, are you serious?
    a while back, you mentioned about being left out. recently i get the feeling that you are entering the market...

Development.....?

Near mrt mall international sch seaview low density high floor pool facing...big balcony patio
    Etc etc...

WHAT one should buy....

u think so much, how to buy?
    just list out what your wife wants will do! She will decide everything and you just pay for it.

Good points...ha ha nice one RICE...if u got u busted knee or ankle that translates to Rest Ice Compression Elevation....like i said topic of general discussion NOT related to any individual...

Just another form of sharing for the benefit of bros/sis here...since we are in a condo forum and market dynamics keep changing thanks and no thanks to our good governance...

I think moving forward is going to be a bit tricky and what used to work in the past will NoT work now like overleveraging and multiple property ownership is going to be out of reach of the masses...

A lot of bros here were lucky as their point of entry and timing was in the era when very FEW were interested in property ownership but today the scene and market is very different from what it used to be...

So like i said another topic for all to benefit..not only Me...

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    u think so much, how to buy?
    just list out what your wife wants will do! She will decide everything and you just pay for it.
    Good morning mr laguna you are very disiplined and an early bird notice every morning you wake up about the same..time....Down under......and you will log in to check the happenings in the forum so overnight i need to come out some topics to keep the forum going... ...like i said before my turn to hear the clap clap clap is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline
    Happy Deepavali Brother Radha08 !!!

thank you....i am working now about to knock off from night shift and will be off rest of week... ...to celebrate..

thank you....i am working now about to knock off from night shift and will be off rest of week... ...to celebrate..
    Happy Deepavali Brother Radha08
    have a good rest for the long weekend and recharge to view more showflats...

more postings from u please

Development.....?

Etc etc...

WHAT one should buy....

I would put my money on buying a 5 year old EC and then do it up for rental and sell it after it hit 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Happy Deepavali Brother Radha08
    have a good rest for the long weekend and recharge to view more showflats...

more postings from u please
    thanks first time i see u use this type of thing.... ..maybe cos ur on holiday down under...

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    I would put my money on buying a 5 year old EC and then do it up for rental and sell it after it hit 10 years.
    good plan but in todays market resale EC price almost same as PC...plus i think rental should be better for PC...but i might be wrong...lets see what others say...

you know what my distance relatives who live in bungalow do?

they bought another bungalow nearby!

farking clever!
    don't need to fight so many condo owners.

they are on a class of it's own!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8

farking clever!

bro a few months ago when i stay semi-d in siglap i was surrounded by people living in bungalows...i tell u these type of people....$$$$$$$ is NOTHING to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    Buying and selling EC is a good way of making money. I seriously think EC should not be subsidised as the profits are tax-payers' money.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Buying and selling EC is a good way of making money. I seriously think EC should not be subsidised as the profits are tax-payers' money.
    u talking about buying a NEW EC and selling 5 years later i guess can make $$ but buying resale EC i think not much diff in price comapred to resale PC...

But just curious EC 5 year min occupation is from TOP or from date of sale completion...

bro a few months ago when i stay semi-d in siglap i was surrounded by people living in bungalows...i tell u these type of people....$$$$$$$ is NOTHING to them...
    they are really in a class of their own!

seriously no fight
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Happy Deepavali! Good that you can still log on and surf even during night shift!

u talking about buying a NEW EC and selling 5 years later i guess can make $$ but buying resale EC i think not much diff in price comapred to resale PC...

But just curious EC 5 year min occupation is from TOP or from date of sale completion...
    5 year min is from TOP.

Quote Originally Posted by 3C
    Initially, a friend of mine really think that's in reality it is not difficult to get one.
    It has been 4 years, he still hasn't found his dream home.
    If 4 years still haven't found something. Something is wrong with their expectation... All the signs of 'miss-the-boat syndrome'

Yes, it's not easy finding the right property, takes diligence, luck, intuition and at times decisiveness. It can take months, but if it takes years, time to review your expectation vs your budget...

When agent ask if buy for stay or investment, just say "Don't know" lah.

Yah, it is difficult to decide when you are going to spend up to or more than a million for a PC and worry it may turn out to be a piece of s h i t if you intend to stay. For rent, as long as tenant feel it is not a piece of s h i t can liow, if get bad tenant, after 1 tenure, even a not s h i t PC also turn into s h i t too.

For me, from starting to look for PC till now, already MTB (2 time property lows in 06 & 09) twice thinking it is still high and don't have something of liking. On the hind sight, if the last 2 round just anyhow put the bet on anyone with eyes close, already laughing all the way to the bank. But it is still better late than never as so many CMs, it is getting harder and harder to get property especially for old folks.

There is no point buying EC when you already have a HDB, because you have to give up your HDB which is cheaper and you can rent out at also quite a good rate (was shock to see from HDB website even area in north a 4 room flat can rent at highest price of $3300 for whole unit, of cause the rest are lower). So if already got HDB, next is to go for PC keeping your HDB.
    Last edited by CondoInterested; 13-11-12 at 10:02.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Happy Deepavali! Good that you can still log on and surf even during night shift!
    tks bro i still awake after work went to loyang tua pe-kong temple for some prayers with the family...got to maintain the faith...now going to......after snooping around in the forum for a bit of course...

Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested
    When agent ask if buy for stay or investment, just say "Don't know" lah.

Yah, it is difficult to decide when you are going to spend up to or more than a million for a PC and worry it may turn out to be a piece of s h i t if you intend to stay. For rent, as long as tenant feel it is not a piece of s h i t can liow, if get bad tenant, after 1 tenure, even a not s h i t PC also turn into s h i t too.

For me, from starting to look for PC till now, already MTB (2 time property lows in 06 & 09) twice thinking it is still high and don't have something of liking. On the hind sight, if the last 2 round just anyhow put the bet on anyone with eyes close, already laughing all the way to the bank. But it is still better late than never as so many CMs, it is getting harder and harder to get property especially for old folks.

There is no point buying EC when you already have a HDB, because you have to give up your HDB which is cheaper and you can rent out at also quite a good rate (was shock to see from HDB website even area in north a 4 room flat can rent at highest price of $3300 for whole unit, of cause the rest are lower). So if already got HDB, next is to go for PC keeping your HDB.
    your right bro i also was in the same boat before...i think the name of the boat is called...MISS......but moving forward...

Quote Originally Posted by roly8

farking clever!

yap should buy the one right beside....enlarge territory
    also look out for any foreclosure one nearby

Hello my bros and sis, today I will share my thinking. Please read this with a pinch of salt. The topic will be mind provocative and some may not like it.

When people say, money make money, I really didn't know what the hack they were talking about when I was young.

I will state a few scenarios. You can change the % to suit your own computing.

1. A person has say 2 mil. He gets 4% per annum. That's about 60 k rite. After 3 years, saves 240k. He can put a downpayment on a condo rite? Of course this was before CM. please also note, I did not take into account his own savings from work.

2. A person has 20 mil. He gets 4 % per annum. That means a whopping 800k per year man. He can now drive his Ferrari and have spare cash. He can use the balance to invest in any instrument or go save and get a condo 'FOC' every year rite.

Notice the diff between the 2? So mind boggling rite.

But the 2 mil will get working in his quest to 5 mil rite....

So we need to start somewhere. We need to work towards a certain goal. Set an achievable goal. So you will be motivated to get there.

One more thing, balance , balance, balance. You must also know your capability and don't drive yourself to 'insanity' with your quest in getting 'rich'. Know your limitations and how to overcome it. Family is also important, it is the part that gives u grounding, so never forget to spend time w your family,

I am not 'rich' my bros and sis, but I can survive w/o working. I really hope all of u can achieve that and of course some of u are way above that....
    Why? When u achieve that stage, u will have less stress. U will be able to take risk. When your 'boss' tells u off, u will not be so worked up. If u think u are right, u can even stand up to him/her.

You see in life, u have to dare to dream and make the dream come true.

wanna pick a gem for resale? either b an agent urself or walk the grounds as hunter

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut

One more thing, balance , balance, balance. You must also know your capability and don't drive yourself to 'insanity' with your quest in getting 'rich'. Know your limitations and how to overcome it. Family is also important, it is the part that gives u grounding, so never forget to spend time w your family,

I am not 'rich' my bros and sis, but I can survive w/o working. I really hope all of u can achieve that and of course some of u are way above that....
    Why? When u achieve that stage, u will have less stress. U will be able to take risk.
    Liked!

However I must add something else. How to go even to 1mil? Hahaha....think lot of us gotta save and save.

Personally going from Hdb to pc is already

But after learning from this froum, I really gotta long way to go. It's a what the heck feeling! After saving so hard for a PC, still so far below on the food chain.

Well, think better after holiday better work harder and smarter from now. Better go find more lobang....

Hope others having it better! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by smpeh
    Liked!

However I must add something else. How to go even to 1mil? Hahaha....think lot of us gotta save and save.

But after learning from this froum, I really gotta long way to go. It's a what the heck feeling! After saving so hard for a PC, still so far below on the food chain.

Well, think better after holiday better work harder and smarter from now. Better go find more lobang....

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by smpeh
    Liked!

bro, i am 1 level below you. no hdb or pc..
    but got some decent cash from my day to day saving...
    hope to get a good amount of capital to get the 'money make money' to spark off

Read this

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...236782/1/.html

Gem getting controlled.... Do be careful when buying