Thread: Balcony question

Default Balcony question

For those who have kids, how do you childproof your balcony? Install griils at the balcony door? Quite ugly. Raise the height of the balcony wall? Does the condo management allow?

invisible grille shd be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    For those who have kids, how do you childproof your balcony? Install griils at the balcony door? Quite ugly. Raise the height of the balcony wall? Does the condo management allow?
    Some condo allows you to install invisible grilles. But many do not.

The best prevention is to educate your child. This may seems as the most difficult but can be done. You have no choice if the MCST disallow grilles. You need to be very consistent among all in the family including both husband & wife, your parents looking after grandchild and the maid.

It's ok to tell you child that if he/she falls down from the balcony, he/she will die and cannot wake up anymore so cannot see papa and mama. I did that before and it's works very well for both my child. You will be surprise that the child knows that die is bad.

Also, no stools and chairs near the edge of the balcony. This one is the most dangerous.

And don't be soft if the child carries stools to the balcony. Scold & whack them so that they know it's wrong to do that. No easy way out.

this one reason why i am ground floor lover...

Quote Originally Posted by PN

The best prevention is to educate your child. This may seems as the most difficult but can be done. You have no choice if the MCST disallow grilles. You need to be very consistent among all in the family including both husband & wife, your parents looking after grandchild and the maid.

It's ok to tell you child that if he/she falls down from the balcony, he/she will die and cannot wake up anymore so cannot see papa and mama. I did that before and it's works very well for both my child. You will be surprise that the child knows that die is bad.

Also, no stools and chairs near the edge of the balcony. This one is the most dangerous.

And don't be soft if the child carries stools to the balcony. Scold & whack them so that they know it's wrong to do that. No easy way out.
    thanks. our kids are generally well trained, and cane is used in instances where danger arises.

however, given that the balcony issue is quite a serious one, we are considering grills at the balcony door (not the balcony edge). maybe we are too paranoid

thanks. our kids are generally well trained, and cane is used in instances where danger arises.

however, given that the balcony issue is quite a serious one, we are considering grills at the balcony door (not the balcony edge). maybe we are too paranoid
    It's better to be safe than sorry. I have seen many units at my condo installing those invisible grills. They are actually not that invisible after all, but I rather sacrifice aesthetic for safety

Don't play play.... Just check with MC and u will have the answer. To me invisible grills should be allowed in condo la. I see so many being used in many condos.

To me, LIFE is most important.

The MC cannot disallow installation of grilles or other safety devices, but it should conform with their design guidelines. You can seek legal redress if you are prevented from doing so.

Here's a recent official reply from URA and BCA.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/forum/2012/forum12-08.html

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    The MC cannot disallow installation of grilles or other safety devices, but it should conform with their design guidelines. You can seek legal redress if you are prevented from doing so.

Here's a recent official reply from URA and BCA.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/pr/forum/2012/forum12-08.html
    Thanks fclim for the useful info! Actually I was hoping the govt could allow us to install those smart windows legally , cos would be great to enclose the entire area and then turn on the a/c

Invisible grills don't really alter the facade. Unlike the wrought iron grills which are very visible.

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    Thanks fclim for the useful info! Actually I was hoping the govt could allow us to install those smart windows legally , cos would be great to enclose the entire area and then turn on the a/c
    I don't think the govt will approve any specific design/brand as they do not want to be seen as endorsing that particular brand. Furthermore, smart windows will not be approved as some people might close them permanently and that is not allowed for balconies.

For me, I will be happy to use the MC/developer's approved design. I will ask for it if they do not have an approved design.

thanks all for the replies. it is most assuring. any design is okay, as long safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by PN

you are making a dangerous assumption that all kids are the same and teaching can prevent accident from happening. honestly, what is the point of gambling on something which you have nothing to gain and all to lose?

thanks all for the replies. it is most assuring. any design is okay, as long safety first.
    when comes to kids, better be safe then sorry. All it take is 1 accident, no such thing as 2nd chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    you are making a dangerous assumption that all kids are the same and teaching can prevent accident from happening. honestly, what is the point of gambling on something which you have nothing to gain and all to lose?
    Bro Ringo you misunderstood me lah.

What I was saying i my post is if the MCST disallow grilles for some reason, you need to educate you child otherwise things can go very wrong.

Some bro has mentioned that BCA allow grilles so whoever need to install grille got to raise it up to their MCST.

But got grilles at home doesn't mean don't need to teach the child of the danger or climbing using a chair. You house may be well protection with all the grilles but you do bring the kid along when visiting friends/relatives. Their house (condo/hdb) may not have grilles hor. If you are not watching, kids are very fast and will be climbing up the bay window or on chair before you knew it.

I don't gamble on child safety and will never encourage people to. Still need to educate the child lah regardless of whether got grille or not.
    That's my message.

If build a metal gate just outside the sliding doors between the living room and balcony, will the gate be subjected to an approved design?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    If build a metal gate just outside the sliding doors between the living room and balcony, will the gate be subjected to an approved design?
    I believe anything fixed structure that can be seen from outside should be subject to approval.

For me i think as long as there IS an approved design, its okie. Worse is mgt comm say no approved design, cannot install.

Agreed wih your point... Certain things are not reversable...safety is alway first priority...

If goinig by education an fail, blame the parent failure or the kids ?