Thread: Iron wood vs chengai for planter

Default Iron wood vs chengai for planter

I'm checking decking for my planter.

Does anyone know the pros & cons of iron wood comparing to chengal for timber decking?

one sale man said Australia iron wood good, less gap, another said chengai is suitable for Singapore weather, iron wood too soft.... Confused

I'd better come back to forum to ask bro and sis here.... Which one is worthy for money?

Quote Originally Posted by East Lover

Does anyone know the pros & cons of iron wood comparing to chengal for timber decking?

one sale man said Australia iron wood good, less gap, another said chengai is suitable for Singapore weather, iron wood too soft.... Confused

I'd better come back to forum to ask bro and sis here.... Which one is worthy for money?
    Chengai is proven timber for outdoor and I will put my money on tropical wood for tropical weather.

Just make sure you get those that is well aged so that they wont shrink too much. Actually having some gap is better because if it swell, they will have some space to move, or else everything will start popping up.

Chengai is v gd & durable, also quite cooling on hot days
    I wld recommend but we never hear much about iron wood b4

What's the price difference? If your planter not too big, mayb just pay for chengai bah

if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

I have used ironwood 2.5 years ago for the planter decking. Just gone back lately for rental renewal and found the decking is still as good as before. No cracklines and shrinkage. Why have I chosen ironwood instead of chengal then was: (1) Ironwood is denser than chengal. You can try by holding them.; (2) The ironwood is from borneo; and (3) Price is almost the same. You should do your own research first. Ironwood is commonly used for sleeper of railway track. Ask them for a sample first.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    Chengai is v gd & durable, also quite cooling on hot days
    I wld recommend but we never hear much about iron wood b4

What's the price difference? If your planter not too big, mayb just pay for chengai bah
    Iron wood cost $100 more than chengai.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I have used ironwood 2.5 years ago for the planter decking. Just gone back lately for rental renewal and found the decking is still as good as before. No cracklines and shrinkage. Why have I chosen ironwood instead of chengal then was: (1) Ironwood is denser than chengal. You can try by holding them.; (2) The ironwood is from borneo; and (3) Price is almost the same. You should do your own research first. Ironwood is commonly used for sleeper of railway track. Ask them for a sample first.
    Yes I heard nowadays chengal wood tends to be young wood..

Thanks for the kind sharing!

What is the difference in $psf?
    Iron wood cost $100 more than chengai.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    What is the difference in $psf?
    Mine is 3.88 sqt meters, iron wood is $1075, chengal is $980.

Seems reasonable. Just have to look at the quality of material and workmanship. Make sure they used good lacquer.

Have you considered recycled wood/plastic composite? Or use the planter to plant? Save my world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jt6TJomo8g