Thread: Studio or 1 bedder? Which one good for investment?

Default Studio or 1 bedder? Which one good for investment?

Saw one studio is asking $500k, 1 bedder is $650k (bigger size, bed room have wall separated).
    Same project, which one is worthy to invest?

studio is also consider as 1 bed ,right ?

same floorsize too? but different design concept?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    studio is also consider as 1 bed ,right ?

same floorsize too? but different design concept?
    Yes, but no wall of partition. In fact, will look bigger right? Price diff of $150k...

1 bedder has bigger floor area.

so small liao...still want wall for what..
    afterall, it is for 1 or 2 person stay..

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

went through this exercise with friends recently, but more for different prices of same sized units.

depends on your objective...
    for rental yield, take the studio.
    for future larger capital gain, take the 1br.
    anyway assuming size difference is 150sf, and price increase after 4 yrs is $200psf = 150*200 = 30k
    = 100% return on your extra 150k or 250% cash on cash return (assume LTV 60%). this excludes the base unit and rental yield.

personally i will go more for the orientation, layout and scarcity, as these will influence tenant's selection and future buyer's preference, unless the price difference between units is too compelling.

1 bedder's rental yield may not be significantly higher than the studio.

But u did mention these 2 units ur comparing are of the same development.

Say ur the tenant, how much more would u pay for a wall? and if a studio and 1 bedder asking rent is almost the same, you would rather go for the 1 bedder right? I guess yield wise, obviously smaller quantum would win. but u will be competing for tenants with the other 1 bedders.

Quote Originally Posted by East Lover
    Yes, but no wall of partition. In fact, will look bigger right? Price diff of $150k...

1 bedder has bigger floor area.
    Get contractor to built partition and u can market it as one bedroom unit.

One bedder can convert into two beds if layout is plausible.

One bedder one partner can sleep in sofa in living rm if quarrel. Studio theres no escape whatsoever. Constantly in each others faces.

Given the record supply of MM units coming online.....its longer safe to close eyes and buy just any cheap MMs for investment.

Make sure the unit you are buying is "livable" so that tenants will choose to live in one instead of being forced to rent it due to tight supply.

For 1bedder, make sure its not too small, otherwise the bedroom or living room would feel like a store room. I have seen 1bed units that would be better off without the wall separating the bedroom.

Go to the latest TOP projects at Suites @ Eunos to view the mm. 350 sqft above are ok, no problem. the living room can be partitioned into 2nd bedroom.

Many 1 bedder and studios coming online in the next few years and competition for rental will be very high. Make sure your unit got that special something that people will want or else risk being vacant for many months.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Many 1 bedder and studios coming online in the next few years and competition for rental will be very high. Make sure your unit got that special something that people will want or else risk being vacant for many months.

Your 1 bedder is special! spacious, got his and hers spa, badminton dome, nursery and many more!

Quote Originally Posted by price
    Your 1 bedder is special! spacious, got his and hers spa, badminton dome, nursery and many more!
    One Home Three Worlds....

This topic Office Boy is certainly qualified to comment.

There are many projects which allows buyers to choose whether they want to erect the wall to separate the bedroom with the master.

Though it may look nice in the showflat without the wall partition, it is not surprising that developers' statistics shows that majority of people will choose to have the wall erected.

Thus, it is not difficult to conclude that 1BR commands a better rental yield.

When buying for rental, paying a bit more to ensure that your unit is the CHOICE unit of the development goes a very looooong way.

Office Boy has been renting out apartments for loooong time, so can tell you 1BR will fare much better. Assuming ceteris paribus (learnt this term from some office documents one). Haha!

If need help can send detail to Office Boy, I can give you my sincere comments.

DKSG

DKSG

I think if less than 450sqft better off as studio, like a cosy hotel room
    If at least 500 sqft, can have a decent 1br separated

Saw one studio is asking $500k, 1 bedder is $650k (bigger size, bed room have wall separated).
    Same project, which one is worthy to invest?

Sorry for the late reply as i just came back from orchard for facial.

Thanks a lot for all of u for all the useful advices.

My heart goes to 1bedder now let me cool down first ..
    Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    This topic Office Boy is certainly qualified to comment.

There are many projects which allows buyers to choose whether they want to erect the wall to separate the bedroom with the master.

Though it may look nice in the showflat without the wall partition, it is not surprising that developers' statistics shows that majority of people will choose to have the wall erected.

Thus, it is not difficult to conclude that 1BR commands a better rental yield.

When buying for rental, paying a bit more to ensure that your unit is the CHOICE unit of the development goes a very looooong way.

Office Boy has been renting out apartments for loooong time, so can tell you 1BR will fare much better. Assuming ceteris paribus (learnt this term from some office documents one). Haha!

If need help can send detail to Office Boy, I can give you my sincere comments.

DKSG

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    I think if less than 450sqft better off as studio, like a cosy hotel room
    If at least 500 sqft, can have a decent 1br separated
    Small studio around 580, bigger one 620 sqft but asking 660k, 1 bedder 700 sqft asking 780k, park facing.

Erm....650-700sqft u can find 2 bedders nowadays, even more potential market for rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Erm....650-700sqft u can find 2 bedders nowadays, even more potential market for rentals.

precisely.. I thought we were talking about mms here?

Generally speaking, you can attract a larger pool of tenants with a 1 bedroom apartment because tenants looking for a studio apartment usually do not mind a 1 bedroom apartment but the same thing cannot be said vice versa. Some people are just not used to the idea of living without walls, I guess. As to whether this difference is worth the price difference between a studio apartment and 1 bedroom apartment, that's up to you.

I will choose the 660k one 620sqft is very comfortable size for 1br, and
    660k vs 780k, when in doubt buy the cheapest if other conditions similar

Small studio around 580, bigger one 620 sqft but asking 660k, 1 bedder 700 sqft asking 780k, park facing.
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    I will choose the 660k one 620sqft is very comfortable size for 1br, and
    660k vs 780k, when in doubt buy the cheapest if other conditions similar
    If similar cost, one in manhattan, one in sg OCR, which one will u choose?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    One bedder can convert into two beds if layout is plausible.

One bedder one partner can sleep in sofa in living rm if quarrel. Studio theres no escape whatsoever. Constantly in each others faces.
    Yes agree with you.

There is always more flexibility with 1-bedder. You can invite friends or relatives not comfortable sharing room to bunk into your unit since the living room can be converted to a bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0503
    Yes agree with you.

There is always more flexibility with 1-bedder. You can invite friends or relatives not comfortable sharing room to bunk into your unit since the living room can be converted to a bedroom.
    I did a quick search, D9/10/11 MM below 900k only returned 5 results, and all are cube 8!!!
    propertyguru

I did a quick search, D9/10/11 MM below 900k only returned 5 results, and all are cube 8!!!
    propertyguru
    you know sometimes what i afraid of is can't find tenant when your condo is side by side with so many other condo..

will this happen?

propertyguru
    Your search criteria salah lah! Since it is mm, do not restrict the minimum floor size to 500sqft. you have removes those below 500sqft from the search. Look at the layout carefully. A 500sqft with one big balcony is as good as a 366sqft with no balcony and cheaper.

This is the proper search result for mm at d9, 10, 11. 61 returns below $900k

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singa...itude=&submit=

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    This is the proper search result for mm at d9, 10, 11. 61 returns below $900k

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singa...itude=&submit=
    No wonder! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    you know sometimes what i afraid of is can't find tenant when your condo is side by side with so many other condo..

will this happen?
    But everywhere in Singapore like this Liao, newton, river valley, newly pasir ris, punggol...

But everywhere in Singapore like this Liao, newton, river valley, newly pasir ris, punggol...
    hmm...

maybe i should buy GCB.. another kind of niche lol