Thread: Today i received my Rental Deposit refund

Default Today i received my Rental Deposit refund

Today i received a cheque from my EX-landlord being a refund for my 1 month rental deposit....i swee swee take care his beautiful house for 1 year and he swee swee return my full deposit....

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of FRAMING up the cheque to remind me NEVER EVER EVER rent again...when i signed the TA i gave my landlord 13 postdated cheques 12mths rental and 1mth deposit...now i get back 1 CHEQUE....

End of the day all the beautiful memories and times i had in the beautiful house are just a memory and looking back it all cost $$$

So anyway take it as a lesson and any bro/sis who undergoing the same situation as me let me tell end of the day...you give back the keys and move on...but the $$$ you paid will never come back...so better to stay in a Small house you bought than a BIG house you rent...

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

1. you still got 1 hdb...
    2. you still got another 6-9 months to buy your condo, before another new CMxx comes in....

Good! My previous owner didnt return my deposit because I broke lease after 9 months(original lease was 12 months). Later, the greedy landlord rented out the flat for 2050$, I was renting it for 1750$

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    1. you still got 1 hdb...
    2. you still got another 6-9 months to buy your condo, before another new CMxx comes in....

Ha ha..u are right...

Quote Originally Posted by revhappy
    Good! My previous owner didnt return my deposit because I broke lease after 9 months(original lease was 12 months). Later, the greedy landlord rented out the flat for 2050$, I was renting it for 1750$
    Wow thats painful if i was landlord i would return deposit...afterall
    He managed to get higher rental...

My friend sold her condo in mid 2010 and rented another unit in her condo while waiting for her Livia to TOP.
    She thought she got a good price for selling her condo at that time.
    So she spent one year on rental and watched helplessly as her condo price increased steadily.
    Finally she moved into Livia and after staying for a few months, felt that the place is not to her liking and has put up her unit for sale.
    Now she is looking at buying back a unit in her former condo or somewhere near to it !

Eeeerrmmm ... what do you expect ?

You have a choice to find a replacement tenant for the landlord, but u choose to walk away.

Haha! Office Boy is saying so because I am landlord ma!

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    My friend sold her condo in mid 2010 and rented another unit in her condo while waiting for her Livia to TOP.
    So she spent one year on rental and watched helplessly as her condo price increased steadily.
    Finally she moved into Livia and after staying for a few months, felt that the place is not to her liking and has put up her unit for sale.
    Now she is looking at buying back a unit in her former condo or somewhere near to it !
    Where is the former condo ? Must be from a more expensive place.
    Now buy back ... heart will ache until numb ba ?

And I believe the root cause of her agony is the agent ?

Haha!

Office Boy seen this kinda scenario 100x times liao lo!
    More common than Sg Ch 8/U drama.

DKSG

折腾 is the word for the story.

will this be repeating in the next few years would be crucial...

bro radha08

what is your plan now ?

Radha08 ...

One thing I forgot to remind you, memories are priceless one.
    If the house u rented gave u nice memories, it is worth the monies spent!

But then, if u use the money to pay for your own house, it will be even better spent!

Office Boy also got renting experience also! I also dont like the feeling.

So I derived a theory : Rent only if that is part of your strategy!

I rent because some super rich Indons paid me an obscene price to chase me out of my super nice condo with super views. So I took a decision to take the money and go rent a crappy place for a few months while targeting my even more ideal condo.

And lucky for me, it all works out at the end.

So I m here now at my so-called ideal condo. hahahaha!

Dont know how long I will feel that this place is ideal, but until then, I happy happy stay here lor!

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    Eeeerrmmm ... what do you expect ?

You have a choice to find a replacement tenant for the landlord, but u choose to walk away.

Haha! Office Boy is saying so because I am landlord ma!

DKSG
    I wasnt even given that option. Actually, I was dealing with the landlord agent. In this case my agent and landlord agent is the same person. The agent is very close to the landlord and ofcource favors her more than me.

Obviously the landlord agent wont let me find a replacement tenant because then she loses the agent fee.

Anyways, no regrets because the place was really nicely renovated and 1750$ was a good deal for me to rent that place(it was a 2 bedder HDB in AMK, but very very close to my wife's office) hence I chose to directly deal with the landlord agent, while taking up the lease, instead of going through another agents as all agents a a**holes after all, as dealing with the landlord agent means she gets agent fee from me as well as landlord so she will like to give the house to me instead of a cobroke agent's tenant.

Although I knew the risk, that she will keep landlords interests before me. Well, the worst came to worst in the end and I had to leave the place prematurely, because my wife was pregnant and we decided to have the deliverly done in our home town in India. Again, no regrets, just that at the end of it, left a sour feeling.
    Last edited by revhappy; 02-11-12 at 20:47.

After sending my wife to India, I cut losses at that place and then moved on to rent a common room for 550$ for 9 more months and then now me, wife and our little daughter are renting another 2 bedder HDB for 2k in Tampines, this one is very close to my office and my wife just loves this place, mainly because so many Indians here, 2 Indian grocery shops also nearby

So financially or othewise it was still a win-win. I just hope that this time I get my deposit back <pray> <pray>

I dont think she's the only one; most ppl sell their units earlier unless they have the spare cash to downpay the new unit. But then Livia's worth would have gone up as well right? Left pocket right pocket

There is another group which fare worse, selling it early and rent while hoping to buy back lower and instead see the rental and prices going up

just like one of my bro in 2009 kena hai-gong by agent mkt going to crash so he sold his hdb rent for 2 years everyday crying as market recovered then bought another hdb in 2011...end of day....he curse the agent who hai-gong him......thats why not easy to be property agent if u give wrong advice sure kena F$%# upside down..

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    Radha08 ...

One thing I forgot to remind you, memories are priceless one.
    If the house u rented gave u nice memories, it is worth the monies spent!

But then, if u use the money to pay for your own house, it will be even better spent!

Office Boy also got renting experience also! I also dont like the feeling.

So I derived a theory : Rent only if that is part of your strategy!

I rent because some super rich Indons paid me an obscene price to chase me out of my super nice condo with super views. So I took a decision to take the money and go rent a crappy place for a few months while targeting my even more ideal condo.

And lucky for me, it all works out at the end.

So I m here now at my so-called ideal condo. hahahaha!

Dont know how long I will feel that this place is ideal, but until then, I happy happy stay here lor!

DKSG
    tks bro i had a strategy but NO matter how the strategy $$$$ lost in rental is painful..but its ok for me...just sharing my experience in case other bros thinking like me...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Wow thats painful if i was landlord i would return deposit...afterall
    He managed to get higher rental...
    Erm, He may have incurred new agent fees for finding the new tenant...

After sending my wife to India, I cut losses at that place and then moved on to rent a common room for 550$ for 9 more months and then now me, wife and our little daughter are renting another 2 bedder HDB for 2k in Tampines, this one is very close to my office and my wife just loves this place, mainly because so many Indians here, 2 Indian grocery shops also nearby

So financially or othewise it was still a win-win. I just hope that this time I get my deposit back <pray> <pray>
    ...bro indian.......welcome to singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Keh
    Erm, He may have incurred new agent fees for finding the new tenant...
    I was willing to reimburse the prorated part of the landlord's agent fee as compensation, but no, they decided to go by the TA. Luckily they didn't force me pay the remaining 3 months rent also. I guess, because they knew that they could rent it out for higher anyways

...bro indian.......welcome to singapore
    Thanks bro Its been 3.5 years already here, loving this place and this forum also

just like one of my bro in 2009 kena hai-gong by agent mkt going to crash so he sold his hdb rent for 2 years everyday crying as market recovered then bought another hdb in 2011...end of day....he curse the agent who hai-gong him......thats why not easy to be property agent if u give wrong advice sure kena F$%# upside down..
    Agents will tell buyers.. price going up further.. better buy..
    And the same agents will tell sellers.. price has peaked.. better sell..
    Then will have many deals mah!!

So the best you decide yourself.. even wrong.. don't "ai wang"

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk

i know that bro...but one of my bro 1st timer gong gong kena hai-gong...by agent...now he very smart 1 time kena already..

I was willing to reimburse the prorated part of the landlord's agent fee as compensation, but no, they decided to go by the TA. Luckily they didn't force me pay the remaining 3 months rent also. I guess, because they knew that they could rent it out for higher anyways
    A lesson to ALL property people, dont be scared by the agent.
    There is always a CEA for you to complain against them if they do things against regulations.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk

EVERYONE who buy or sell or rent properties MUST know that the agent is ALWAYS acting against someone's interest. Just make sure it is NOT against YOUR interest can liao.

I think Office Boy can write a manual on "How to handle property agents to your advantage".

Haha!

DKSG