Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Early retirement with monthly 10k passive income? POSSIBLE?

Let me share my experience....

I quit my job 2+ years ago, thinking that I'll retire. At that time, I had 2 investment properties, leveraged at about 70% LTV with positive cash flow + 1 mil+ in high dividend stocks+reits. Thought the dividend income is sufficient for my daily expenses (for 1) and the properties will pay for themselves plus hedge against inflation.

The "retirement" didn't last very long... attended an interview for a related job out of curiosity... One thing led to another... My "retirement" lasted 3 months to be exact....

Employment this time round had a big difference.... I'm not doing it for money... Not that the money is bad, it has never been better... the key is achieving financial independence, rather than 'retirement' per se. The best part is, my boss knows this too. So we have this mutual understanding, that I'll quit anytime when a) I don't contribute enough anymore, b) I don't get satisfaction in what i'm doing and c) i get bored.

Fast forward to today.... With the income from employment + dividends + rental, I managed to acquire another 2 properties. The rise in property prices made my LTV even lower. So I'm in a stronger position to retire.... But that doesn't mean I'm going to do it... yet....

And who knows for how long....

Quote Originally Posted by sh

I quit my job 2+ years ago, thinking that I'll retire. At that time, I had 2 investment properties, leveraged at about 70% LTV with positive cash flow + 1 mil+ in high dividend stocks+reits. Thought the dividend income is sufficient for my daily expenses (for 1) and the properties will pay for themselves plus hedge against inflation.

The "retirement" didn't last very long... attended an interview for a related job out of curiosity... One thing led to another... My "retirement" lasted 3 months to be exact....

Employment this time round had a big difference.... I'm not doing it for money... Not that the money is bad, it has never been better... the key is achieving financial independence, rather than 'retirement' per se. The best part is, my boss knows this too. So we have this mutual understanding, that I'll quit anytime when a) I don't contribute enough anymore, b) I don't get satisfaction in what i'm doing and c) i get bored.

Fast forward to today.... With the income from employment + dividends + rental, I managed to acquire another 2 properties. The rise in property prices made my LTV even lower. So I'm in a stronger position to retire.... But that doesn't mean I'm going to do it... yet....

Very brave. LTV 70% can quit.. I will wait for my own stay to fully pay off then consider financially free to do what I desire.

Quote Originally Posted by sh

Thanks for sharing. I wanna be like u bro.

But my retirement lasted over a year already... And the employment outlook just released is gloomy.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    wah impressive but what are her plans after that?

A few possibilities; get married & have kids, further study if don't wan to pay fees can get scholarships for Phd, start something interesting that's not capital intensive?? Cannot b retire "like 60 yr-olds" to do nothing rite...

This kinda gal will be in demand by doctors and entrepreneurs ..hehe..
    they earned.. she invest..

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Thanks for sharing. I wanna be like u bro.

But my retirement lasted over a year already... And the employment outlook just released is gloomy.
    What industry were u from and what type of job?

Industry gloomy or u choosy?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    If a large chunk of her income comes from tax free gains, then will there be a problem if she wants to secure a loan in future?
    as usually the bank will want to look at the income tax.
    The father is the banker

Quote Originally Posted by cnud
    Very brave. LTV 70% can quit.. I will wait for my own stay to fully pay off then consider financially free to do what I desire.
    Own stay already taken care off.... 2 property purely for rental/investment then. The plan was if it gets ugly.... Sell one....