Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Early retirement with monthly 10k passive income? POSSIBLE?

Quote Originally Posted by East Lover
    the problem is where is such less stressful job in SG??? i noticed even 2K salary admin clerk also got demanding from boss

even if working in library as part-time staff, you have work on weekend hehehe
    Oh ya the library officer... I applied and they never even bothered to acknowledge much less call me up!!!!!! Bloody arses

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Agree that can do away with maid and 1 car to cut costs.
    But I want to retire in style .
    So my lifestyle must be the same or better than the present.
    Otherwise I cannot retire.
    You are oba tai tai style..so cannot change.... !!!
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

bro rent out all your properties and relax in ur sea-esta unit...

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE
    You are oba tai tai style..so cannot change.... !!!
    Tai tai no need to work, but I need to work hor !
    So if I retire too early, I will kena psy !
    Last edited by buttercarp; 01-11-12 at 13:01.

Agree that can do away with maid and 1 car to cut costs.
    But I want to retire in style .
    So my lifestyle must be the same or better than the present.
    Otherwise I cannot retire.
    i had an argument with my wife over some small matter a few days ago(happens when ur married )...anyway she turn round and told me i am lucky i married an INDEPENDANT woman like her who never ask me for money/jewellery/holidays...i been thinking about that...dont know whether to laugh or cry...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    i had an argument with my wife over some small matter a few days ago(happens when ur married )...anyway she turn round and told me i am lucky i married an INDEPENDANT woman like her who never ask me for money/jewellery/holidays...i been thinking about that...dont know whether to laugh or cry...
    Then what is She asking for... SEX ?

Bro, she is right !
    I am also similar to her and i think my husband is fortunate too.
    That's why I tell my son that his future wife should be able to support herself , and better still the family .

bro rent out all your properties and relax in ur sea-esta unit...
    I dun own one .........but my wife do.....

Then what is She asking for... SEX ?
    ...censored...

Ganggam...style...

Bro, she is right !
    I am also similar to her and i think my husband is fortunate too.
    That's why I tell my son that his future wife should be able to support herself , and better still the family .
    totally agree if you are not from a rich family...i bread winner VERY siong...

I dun own one .........but my wife do.....
    then you must follow the husband/wife policy...whats yours is mine..whats mine is NOT yours..

totally agree if you are not from a rich family...i bread winner VERY siong...
    I thought bread winner got the bigger say... !

then you must follow the husband/wife policy...whats yours is mine..whats mine is NOT yours..
    That is my wife's policy la...I cannot n not dare to override it... .

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    You only live once. Enjoy life while you can, especially if you are already financially independent. I am under 50 and life has been a blur for the past 20 years so decided to take the hectic life-style off the threadmill and enjoy. The kids love it and I am loving it

p.s - It gets a bit bored sometimes though
    Lucky you.

I asked my P4 kid if I should retire in 2 years time to coach him for PSLE and he looked horrified and said no, no don't give up your job.

I think there are a lot of retired people or non-working people around. I had one week off and went to the fitness classes and some of the classes were packed. These were all-women's classes and the timings were week day mornings.

Personally I would be bored without my job.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Lucky you.

I asked my P4 kid if I should retire in 2 years time to coach him for PSLE and he looked horrified and said no, no don't give up your job.

I think there are a lot of retired people or non-working people around. I had one week off and went to the fitness classes and some of the classes were packed. These were all-women's classes and the timings were week day mornings.

Personally I would be bored without my job.
    haha, my boy said the same thing!
    my boy said it's ok to stay at home to have fun with him, but not coach him for study. both of us will be driven crazy by me

Keep working till you are 60yrs old.. but take more holiday breaks using your leave.

The active income is a risk-free income that you use time to exchange, but it certainly is more enjoyable using that money to go around the world and buy experiences than using your passive income.

Of course, social factor is very important. It is always more fun to be socializing in office.. hehe.. with your colleagues and vendors

even if u stop working, it's good to keep your mind active. otherwise u age faster.

haha, my boy said the same thing!
    my boy said it's ok to stay at home to have fun with him, but not coach him for study. both of us will be driven crazy by me
    I can still coach them up to P6 but not in Upper Sec.

Up to P6, I just make them do test papers which are readily available. Too much trouble to arrange tuition because a lot of time is wasted in ferrying them to and fro and anyway, the P4 boy going to P5 has such a heavy schedule next year that he will not be able to go for any tuition except Chinese on Sat as I have never studied Chinese so unable to help him.

Pri sch kids these days have a really hard time. He will have 2x week Higher Chinese in sch in the afternoon, 2x week sch enrichment classes in the afternoon, 2x week training for sch table tennis team (he is trying to get out of this but the coach is trying to get him to do this). There is no time to go for tuition in the weekdays so I have to set him testpapers the few weeks before the exams to get him exam-orientated.

Quote Originally Posted by price
    even if u stop working, it's good to keep your mind active. otherwise u age faster.
    Totally agree with this.

Most of those in my profession work beyond the mandatory retirement age.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Enjoy doing what I am doing at my job. Just want to retire my spouse. May go into semi-retirement otherwise life is too monotonous.
    Bro, complete bucket list.....

Every quarter, travel somewhere nearby and soak in the sun. Every one year, travel long haul and roam the country - do free and easy in one or 2 state/city.

Every morning, go gym or go walk. Then soak in Jacuzzi. Voila - half day gone. Afternoon read book or roam places in Singapore.

I looking forward to doing all this. But agree, need cash, if not how to enjoy.

Bottomline, if really bored, return to work force and do something simple to pass time. Maybe 1/2 day work.

It Is Coming !!!

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    I can still coach them up to P6 but not in Upper Sec.

Up to P6, I just make them do test papers which are readily available. Too much trouble to arrange tuition because a lot of time is wasted in ferrying them to and fro and anyway, the P4 boy going to P5 has such a heavy schedule next year that he will not be able to go for any tuition except Chinese on Sat as I have never studied Chinese so unable to help him.

Pri sch kids these days have a really hard time. He will have 2x week Higher Chinese in sch in the afternoon, 2x week sch enrichment classes in the afternoon, 2x week training for sch table tennis team (he is trying to get out of this but the coach is trying to get him to do this). There is no time to go for tuition in the weekdays so I have to set him testpapers the few weeks before the exams to get him exam-orientated.
    I surprisingly found out US student life are also not easy if you come from asian family . one of my friends (from TW) is super busy after 3PM everday, as she needs to send kids to so many enrichment classes after school, drawing teacher from 浙江美院, vocal teacher from shanghai (can't remeber the actual name but very big), and ballet teacher from 中央芭蕾舞团.... she said if want to go Columbia University or Harvard, must be all rounded... all of her kids are US residents, top in school ...

see, every where no easy if parent so ambitious

There are certain things in life only doable when u are young
    Ride at your own risk !!!

it is good to "retire" early and do the things u like! life is too short and money is never enough! with 10K passive income should retire leh! my target 5K passive income and retire by 35!

I surprisingly found out US student life are also not easy if you come from asian family . one of my friends (from TW) is super busy after 3PM everday, as she needs to send kids to so many enrichment classes after school, drawing teacher from 浙江美院, vocal teacher from shanghai (can't remeber the actual name but very big), and ballet teacher from 中央芭蕾舞团.... she said if want to go Columbia University or Harvard, must be all rounded... all of her kids are US residents, top in school ...

see, every where no easy if parent so ambitious
    That's a TIGER mum. Me no tiger, born in year of RAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    it is good to "retire" early and do the things u like! life is too short and money is never enough! with 10K passive income should retire leh! my target 5K passive income and retire by 35!
    35 is too young to retire. You should be at the peak of your career at that time.

And 5K passive income is not enough to bring up kids. Educational costs outstrip inflation. And so do medical costs (unless you are going to use polyclinic and C class throughout your life and put yourself at the mercy of newly arrived foreign talents working as junior doctors).

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, complete bucket list.....

Every quarter, travel somewhere nearby and soak in the sun. Every one year, travel long haul and roam the country - do free and easy in one or 2 state/city.

Every morning, go gym or go walk. Then soak in Jacuzzi. Voila - half day gone. Afternoon read book or roam places in Singapore.

I looking forward to doing all this. But agree, need cash, if not how to enjoy.

Bottomline, if really bored, return to work force and do something simple to pass time. Maybe 1/2 day work.

It Is Coming !!!

thx you for your suggestion.
    look ideal to me.
    hope to have this plan from 2013 onward..

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    Hi bro...You must be kidding man...35 is too young to retire unless you are single or married without Kid and with $0.5~1mil bank reserve beside the 5K passive income lo... !

My FIL retired this year at the age of 95
    I retired two years back at the age of 54
    and my girl is retiring next year at the age of 27....
    my son is still wondering what to do after his degree...

So, there is only one income earner in my family, that is my helper....

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

What about your other half.... also retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

so what your girl gonna do? bungee jump in NZ, trekking in Himalayas, safaris in Tanzania, moonlighting in Paris, reading book on Oriental Express, kayaking at Colorado rapids?
    Ride at your own risk !!!

What about your other half.... also retired?
    long ago....cannot remember alr...
    I think was around 2002 when there was a major banking sector restructuring, and that is...RETRENCHED....which is different from retirement