Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with tenants who don't pay rent on time?

Default What to do with tenants who don't pay rent on time?

Damn sian... Every other month must remind & threaten... Some very good ones just do giro n pay 3 days in advance

How to spot responsible ones vs irresponsible one???

Not possible to tell beforehand. You can insist on their setting up a GIRO but they will still have excuses for why the GIRO deduction bounced etc. I threatened to deduct the overdraft and interest charges from their deposit. That usually works for me. I even charged one of the tenants $50 for late payment once before. The young single Ang Mohs tend to be the offenders. They seem not to be able to handle their cash flow (?too much $$$ on beer and women).

lesson learnt! No Giro, don't rent to the tenant!

Best is to put tough language in the tenancy agreement coz once the lease begins, it will be difficult to do anything but harrass them for payment. Of course, best is to maintain an amicable relationship

Well would it make sense to include late payment clause in rental contract?

Ya just include it in and enforce it one time if payment lapses and they will pay on time in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrax

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    Ya just include it in and enforce it one time if payment lapses and they will pay on time in the future.
    lock them out of the house?!

what do you threaten them with? eviction? penalty?
    what kind of profile are they?

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    Damn sian... Every other month must remind & threaten... Some very good ones just do giro n pay 3 days in advance

i mean enforce the late payment clause one time.
    not so serious that you have to lock them out of the house. anyway the deposit is still in our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    lock them out of the house?!

not so serious that you have to lock them out of the house. anyway the deposit is still in our hands.
    clause says after 14 days then can enforce this law.

how about this? post mug shots of them at the lift lobbies!!

Too bad we can't do this ... "O$P$", will run into trouble with the men in blues.

But thanks, i think including late payment as one of the clause is a brilliant idea, at least that's binding!

post at notice board of condo...hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    how about this? post mug shots of them at the lift lobbies!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    clause says after 14 days then can enforce this law.

Tough to enforce this... If no giro dun rent... Have to keep empty unit for longer time

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels
    lesson learnt! No Giro, don't rent to the tenant!

Agree... Will definitely do that in future

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax

From experience, eviction can only use 1-2 times... After that they won't b afraid

Sigh, young couple... Wife ok but husband "cao-kuan" type, got $$ but just like to play games... Always say cannot transfer in time, atm limit etc etc must wait for next day... Then when we turn harsh, like threaten to terminate becos they breach contract term, then he sudden got full amt to deposit in for us

what do you threaten them with? eviction? penalty?
    what kind of profile are they?

which nationality?

From experience, eviction can only use 1-2 times... After that they won't b afraid

Sigh, young couple... Wife ok but husband "cao-kuan" type, got $$ but just like to play games... Always say cannot transfer in time, atm limit etc etc must wait for next day... Then when we turn harsh, like threaten to terminate becos they breach contract term, then he sudden got full amt to deposit in for us
    Sounds like one of my previous tenants (ang moh guy, not married at the time but had gf). Every month I had to get my agent to chase him. Luckily for me, he left for a bigger unit (coz the gf wanted it) and I got a better tenant at higher rent....heng ah!

head aches...
    make proper records on the non payment, to back up your claims later, ask them to evacuate...nn point to carry this baggages.

head aches...
    make proper records on the non payment, to back up your claims later, ask them to evacuate...nn point to carry this baggages.

I also insisted in giro payment and stated it in my TA ....

My friend has a bad experience with one of his tenants, whom he would meet up every month at Mac just to collect his rentals, passed to him in stacks of $50 dollar notes.

Agree... Will definitely do that in future

Always have this clause:

In the event the rent remaining unpaid seven (7) days after becoming payable (whether formally
    demanded or not), it shall be lawful for the Landlord to claim interest at ten percent (10%) per annum
    on the amount unpaid calculated from after the date due to the date of actual payment.

If you need a template for tenancy agreement, drop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    I also insisted in giro payment and stated it in my TA ....

My friend has a bad experience with one of his tenants, whom he would meet up every month at Mac just to collect his rentals, passed to him in stacks of $50 dollar notes.
    luckly is in 50 note...lf luckly ended up with 2 dollars notes

always make sure include late payment terms and interest clause

provide your bank account number, tenant can choose whichever method to put in the money

make sure you dont furnish with goods of value that exceed the deposit

question, how on earth would you get mug shots of tenants? from ic?

and how to chase them out? if they simply refuse to move their ass. change lock also no use, if someone at home all the time.

The simply refused to move type I got experience le...

1st find mover & temp storage quotation to ensure that security deposit value not exceeded
    2nd give official notice of moving out & intention to lodge police report of trespassing & deduction of mover + temp storage from security deposit (when tenancy expire)
    If like this they still stay put (usual they will move out on their own), turn up with police to get them out of the property 1st...
    Change lock and/or pin + cancel access cards
    Arrange for mover to move their belongings to temp storage & inform tenant they need to claim within X-days, else you'll apply writ of distress (thru lawyer) to sell their belongings to cover storage cost & legal fees

But like that very ugly... If possible try to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    always make sure include late payment terms and interest clause

provide your bank account number, tenant can choose whichever method to put in the money

make sure you dont furnish with goods of value that exceed the deposit

question, how on earth would you get mug shots of tenants? from ic?

and how to chase them out? if they simply refuse to move their ass. change lock also no use, if someone at home all the time.

Thank god in my 4 years of rental collection all my tenant pay swee swee and i also was renting i pay my landlord swee swee....but i was thinking also if one day i kena those type never pay on time sianz.....maybe try talk to them....u ask ah long help also no use if throw red paint on door kns...ITS UR DOOR

Check if your contract with them have this pay no later than seven days, else you can kick them out immediately. Cannot recall if still can forfeit their deposit.

You can change the doors locks.

u may call the police for trespassing. but the police will not get ur tenants out, they will not interfer cos its civil case.

seen it b4.

I hv yet to experience here.

In HK, it is much easier to manage, just tell the tenant that lawyer letter will be served and then follow by bankrupty...