Thread: Converting 1bedroom MM into 2bedroom unit!

Default Converting 1bedroom MM into 2bedroom unit!

Convert the living room into 2nd bedroom, seal off with door and wall. Ta da! two bedroom unit with shared kitchen and toilet.

Each bedroom rent out at $1200 (which can split into two occupants). So looking at $2400 rent at least! free usage of facilities such as pool, jacuzzi, gym, bbq!

what's the point? by it self, as it is, can already rent out 2.5k

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    what's the point? by it self, as it is, can already rent out 2.5k
    hmm say worst case?

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    hmm say worst case?
    did you recently buy a shoebox and having second thoughts on its viability now,

or planning to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    did you recently buy a shoebox and having second thoughts on its viability now,

or planning to get one?
    plannin to get one

Convert the living room into 2nd bedroom, seal off with door and wall. Ta da! two bedroom unit with shared kitchen and toilet.

Each bedroom rent out at $1200 (which can split into two occupants). So looking at $2400 rent at least! free usage of facilities such as pool, jacuzzi, gym, bbq!
    Maybe use ID as solution instead of permanent partition. What if worst case never happens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qn...e_gdata_player

Put a slide/fold partition better, at least it's not permanent wall that you cannot revert later on.

Good idea!

Fix collapsible sliding door/partition to convert living room into occasional guest room is a gd idea. But if convert mm to a 2bedder is so cram n uncomfortable, may b difficult to find tenants?

Quote Originally Posted by fan
    Fix collapsible sliding door/partition to convert living room into occasional guest room is a gd idea. But if convert mm to a 2bedder is so cram n uncomfortable, may b difficult to find tenants?
    i am playing with the idea of the tenant are renting room, instead of apartment. looking at how hdb common room at far flung places can be rented at 700-800, seems workable for mm that is better located in town. just toying with the idea only.

Default Tenats are smart

My one bedroom MM is already rented out at S$3k.
    So no need to convert.
    Tenants are smart.

By the way, we have just passed a house rule to limit max 2 residents for each unit. So forget about your idea of squeezing 4 tenants into one converted unit.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I am happy to deal with one tenant who is happy to pay S$3k rather than 4 tenants who can only afford S$600 - S$750 each.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    So no need to convert.
    Tenants are smart.

By the way, we have just passed a house rule to limit max 2 residents for each unit. So forget about your idea of squeezing 4 tenants into one converted unit.

MM living doesn't mean residents need to loss their dignity.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I am happy to deal with one tenant who is happy to pay S$3k rather than 4 tenants who can only afford S$600 - S$750 each.
    Gee, tats good! heres a to u! mind sharing how big is your mm? 3xx, 4xx or 5xx? location?

i am playing with the idea of the tenant are renting room, instead of apartment. looking at how hdb common room at far flung places can be rented at 700-800, seems workable for mm that is better located in town. just toying with the idea only.
    I thought about this idea few weeks ago, converting a 2 bedder 600 sq ft into 3 bed rooms with each a queen size bed.

Gee, tats good! heres a to u! mind sharing how big is your mm? 3xx, 4xx or 5xx? location?
    495 sqft
    D5, Pasir Panjang Road, just next to Haw Par Villa MRT station.

Thanks,
    Richard

495 sqft

Thanks,
    Richard
    Ah.. Thanks Richard!

495 sqft

Thanks,
    Richard
    good rental amt!

So no need to convert.
    Tenants are smart.

Thanks,
    Richard
    wa! good deal you got, uncle richard

495 sqft

Thanks,
    Richard
    WA...so small!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

I think i have found the perfect product to convert the living room into a 2nd bedroom!

http://www.hufcor.com/accordion-doors.shtml

See the proposed concept (BEFORE expanding the partition, AFTER expanding the partition)

So could be look like this inside the original living room:
    Last edited by leesg123; 15-11-12 at 00:41.

It looks quite disasterous with the corrugated partition, and the 2nd tenant cannot access the toilet. A real partition (which is not very expensive) or a glass partition with curtain will be much better in terms of privacy, sound-proofing, space and look.

A real partition wall plus a simple door (not pd door huh) will probably cost about $1k (max) so it is nicer...

Do you mean the rule allows only 2 residents in a mm unit, how about if the tenant has a family of 4 people (2 adults and 2 young children)?