Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Cities need to relook shoebox living

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default Cities need to relook shoebox living

    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cities-relo...7--sector.html

    By Romesh Navaratnarajah: The controversy surrounding shoebox units has spurred many diverse viewpoints in the past. And now a new report by Savills Research called "Shoebox units Is small smart or is bigger better?" is championing the role such homes have in major cities around the world.

    Alemak y NEVER ending one ah? Leave it to free market lah!
    In fact from friends, colleagues feedback, those who cry father cry mother about MM are those who NEVER stayed in one before.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,217

    Default

    It is affordability vs size. Hope the day will not come when MM becomes the norm. That will be the day when $psf has gone sky high.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It is affordability vs size. Hope the day will not come when MM becomes the norm. That will be the day when $psf has gone sky high.
    I too hope so as well... if every where is MM there is no differentiation and exclusivity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I agree too, when $psf has gone sky high, most of us got to live in MM liao... even HDB flats are getting smaller & smaller

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynyard
    I agree too, when $psf has gone sky high, most of us got to live in MM liao... even HDB flats are getting smaller & smaller
    Might be that new generation requires less space. With technological improvements, less and less space required, especially in cities. I want to grow old in an MM or equivalent.

    For e.g. last time the TV was huge, CTV etc, now is wall mounted LCD or LED TVs. Physical space required is breadth of ceiling wall X depth of 50cm or more. Space savings, assuming 4m breadth, is 2sqm, or 21 sqft.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    Might be that new generation requires less space. With technological improvements, less and less space required, especially in cities. I want to grow old in an MM or equivalent.

    For e.g. last time the TV was huge, CTV etc, now is wall mounted LCD or LED TVs. Physical space required is breadth of ceiling wall X depth of 50cm or more. Space savings, assuming 4m breadth, is 2sqm, or 21 sqft.
    Switching from CRT TV to LCD/LED should save at least 6 sqft. Is the footprint of walls and partitions counted as part of GFA?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    Switching from CRT TV to LCD/LED should save at least 6 sqft. Is the footprint of walls and partitions counted as part of GFA?
    MMs is a simple way to pacify people and yet rip them off.

    But please look slightly longer term, the more MMs they create, the more valuable the bigger units will be.

    My theory is simple human nature : MMs folks will want to upgrade to a "normal" unit. OCR folks will want to upgrade to RCR.

    Though this may not represent the views of everyone, in general, this is the big picture.

    Just my 2.5cents worth of opinion.

    DKSG

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,926

    Default

    They do not understand, MM is the new fiat money, the era of barter trade has returned, Just visit malaysia, hk, Beijing and feel how small your dollar is
    Ride at your own risk !!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    There will always be people who use the following mode of transport :
    1. Walking
    2. Bike
    3. Motor bike
    4. Bus
    5. Train
    6 . Car

    So, there will always be diff segment to address diff market. So to those who say CCR is the best or OCR is the best. I tell you, they bullshit.

    When gold goes up, won't silver follow? Do u want to buy gold when silver is a laggard? Do you want to buy the laggard or the one that already cheong-ed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    There will always be people who use the following mode of transport :
    1. Walking
    2. Bike
    3. Motor bike
    4. Bus
    5. Train
    6 . Car

    So, there will always be diff segment to address diff market. So to those who say CCR is the best or OCR is the best. I tell you, they bullshit.

    When gold goes up, won't silver follow? Do u want to buy gold when silver is a laggard? Do you want to buy the laggard or the one that already cheong-ed?
    Well said bro chestnut!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    MMs is a simple way to pacify people and yet rip them off.

    But please look slightly longer term, the more MMs they create, the more valuable the bigger units will be.

    My theory is simple human nature : MMs folks will want to upgrade to a "normal" unit. OCR folks will want to upgrade to RCR.

    Though this may not represent the views of everyone, in general, this is the big picture.

    Just my 2.5cents worth of opinion.

    DKSG
    Not really accurate, but everyone is entitled to own opinions. For e.g. for the same budget, if I can choose between 2 MMs (400+sqft) versus a 3+1 (1200 sqft), I will always prefer having 2.

    OCR or RCR or CCR not a concern for me. SG is just one little red dot. There are subscriber on any spot here, as long as it's on this island. People are even willing to consider across the causeway. Also my two cents.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It is affordability vs size. Hope the day will not come when MM becomes the norm. That will be the day when $psf has gone sky high.
    And the birth rate drops to bottom low!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,823

    Default New Love Language

    Shoebox Unit = I will marry you
    Proper Sized Unit = I will have baby with you

    Diamond Ring Only = You can keep it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Shoebox Unit = I will marry you
    Proper Sized Unit = I will have baby with you

    Diamond Ring Only = You can keep it.
    govt can import more rich foreigners,to increase population,

    and all of us will automatically downgrade to 2nd class citizens 二等公民.

    unless u got tons of millions versus the rich foreigners

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    There will always be people who use the following mode of transport :
    1. Walking
    2. Bike
    3. Motor bike
    4. Bus
    5. Train
    6 . Car

    So, there will always be diff segment to address diff market. So to those who say CCR is the best or OCR is the best. I tell you, they bullshit.

    When gold goes up, won't silver follow? Do u want to buy gold when silver is a laggard? Do you want to buy the laggard or the one that already cheong-
    Hmm.. I wonder why COE for motor bikes only $1,920 whereas COE for Big cars is $85,801...which market segment can afford better and pay higher prices?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    Not really accurate, but everyone is entitled to own opinions. For e.g. for the same budget, if I can choose between 2 MMs (400+sqft) versus a 3+1 (1200 sqft), I will always prefer having 2.

    OCR or RCR or CCR not a concern for me. SG is just one little red dot. There are subscriber on any spot here, as long as it's on this island. People are even willing to consider across the causeway. Also my two cents.
    I think we are talking about different aspects.

    I am talking about supply. The more MMs they create the less land there is for normal sized units. In time, these will become scarce.

    U can choose betw 2MMs or a normal unit for investment, but for own stay, which forms the core demand, the normal unit is always preferred.

    DKSG

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Hmm.. I wonder why COE for motor bikes only $1,920 whereas COE for Big cars is $85,801...which market segment can afford better and pay higher prices?
    Haha... Its people like u who pay Coe 85k that allow me to sell my car at higher price today.

    Thank You.

    Seriously, you brought up a good point. Coe is like gls. Think about it please.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979

    Default

    MM= making merry.....singles move out, make merry and ....

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    I think we are talking about different aspects.

    I am talking about supply. The more MMs they create the less land there is for normal sized units. In time, these will become scarce.

    U can choose betw 2MMs or a normal unit for investment, but for own stay, which forms the core demand, the normal unit is always preferred.

    DKSG
    It also differs depending on the angle we look at.

    Different circumstances, different choices. I will opt for MM in a place where amenities abound when the children are grown up.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Shoebox Unit = I will marry you
    Proper Sized Unit = I will have baby with you

    Diamond Ring Only = You can keep it.
    Nice.......

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    219

    Default

    its inevitable due to global phenomena of masses moving to the big cities.
    thats where the jobs, healthcare, education, opportunities etc are

    how to accomodate so many people in a few key alpha cities if not to shrink the unit sizes?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,990

    Default

    One needs to have a paradigm shift.

    Get rid of clutter in your house.
    Get rid of clutter in your LIFE.

    Keep only the bare essentials.

    A few good pieces of clothings.

    A good pair of shoes.

    A few good friends.

    A smartphone.

    A nano.

    Maybe an ipad.

    A nice pet or two.

    What else do you need, really?

    Photos, memorabilia, memories take a shot and keep the image on the cloud.

    Trophies? Oh please. Enough ego trip already.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    One needs to have a paradigm shift.

    Get rid of clutter in your house.
    Get rid of clutter in your LIFE.

    Keep only the bare essentials.

    A few good pieces of clothings.

    A good pair of shoes.

    A few good friends.

    A smartphone.

    A nano.

    Maybe an ipad.

    A nice pet or two.

    What else do you need, really?

    Photos, memorabilia, memories take a shot and keep the image on the cloud.

    Trophies? Oh please. Enough ego trip already.
    You forgot to mention :

    A million or two - enough money to eat until you die.
    I always think : One day spend $150 to eat and have fun in life means $4.5K a month and $54K a year. 30 years need only $1.6 mil.

    DKSG

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    You forgot to mention :

    A million or two - enough money to eat until you die.
    I always think : One day spend $150 to eat and have fun in life means $4.5K a month and $54K a year. 30 years need only $1.6 mil.

    DKSG
    Hallo office boy, 30yrs no inflation one issit??

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Hallo office boy, 30yrs no inflation one issit??
    Bro, as you age, you cannot afford to eat good food and a lot of food. Even though you can afford. Hahaha. This seems like an oxymoronic statement.
    Inflation on daily will not be a lot lah. Really. 150/day you can eat until lau sai. But I definitely cannot get by with 4.5k.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Bro, as you age, you cannot afford to eat good food and a lot of food. Even though you can afford. Hahaha. This seems like an oxymoronic statement.
    Inflation on daily will not be a lot lah. Really. 150/day you can eat until lau sai. But I definitely cannot get by with 4.5k.
    How much you all use to calculate how much you need each month ?

    $10K each month ?

    Office Boy needs to start planning early so that I dont overwork myself till death. Once earn enough can sit back and relax. Dont everyday do office work.

    DKSG

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Hallo office boy, 30yrs no inflation one issit??
    I mean in real terms la!

    Think about it, if you have nothing to do plus $2 mil in your bank account, I am sure you will at least try to invest and grow it beyond inflation right ?

    Thats not to mention the investment returns you get from the $2 mil!

    Actually $2 mil at 3.5% return, you can get $70K each year !
    Thats a lot for Office Boy!

    DKSG

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Bro, your 4.5 is for 1 pax or 2?

    1 enough, 2 tough leh.

    Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    How much you all use to calculate how much you need each month ?

    $10K each month ?

    Office Boy needs to start planning early so that I dont overwork myself till death. Once earn enough can sit back and relax. Dont everyday do office work.

    DKSG

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,217

    Default

    Know of some people who start to slow down when realise that they have medical issue. Look at the 40-year old comestic surgeon who can made a million a year but passed away recently. Anyone can locate his lecture in the you tube?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Know of some people who start to slow down when realise that they have medical issue. Look at the 40-year old comestic surgeon who can made a million a year but passed away recently. Anyone can locate his lecture in the you tube?
    which comestic surgeon?

    is it the famous comestic surgeon who appear on newspaper?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Similar Threads

  1. CDL calls for relook at QC land policy
    By reporter2 in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 0
    -: 06-03-13, 17:28
  2. Buyers in Asian cities more open to shoebox units
    By reporter2 in forum HDB, EC, commercial and industrial property discussion
    Replies: 0
    -: 19-10-12, 15:00
  3. LIVING LARGE: Bigger homes making a comeback after shoebox craze
    By reporter2 in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 6
    -: 08-07-12, 14:43
  4. Living in a shoebox
    By TheOnlyGayInTheVillage in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 0
    -: 16-06-12, 13:16
  5. Relook en bloc rules
    By mr funny in forum En Bloc Discussion and News
    Replies: 0
    -: 05-04-09, 08:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •