Thread: Missed the boat? Nvm, still have slow boat

Default Missed the boat? Nvm, still have slow boat

Bye to big profit from property buys
    But investors can still make good money by renting out homes that are close to amenities and transport links
    Oct 14, 2012
    By Lee Su Shyan Money Editor

Some friends recently commented that "invest in property, sure make money". That, unfortunately, is not as true as it once was. It now depends on what you mean when you say "make money".
    Potential gains are certainly not on the scale of those achieved for homes bought in the late 1960s and 1970s. At that time, a house could be had for anything from $10,000 to $100,000. Now these terrace homes and bungalows are priced in the millions and even the tens of millions of dollars.
    Even as recently as 20 years ago in the early 1990s, condos could be purchased for a few hundred thousand dollars and there were still landed homes available for less than $1 million.
    Back then, it didn't take much to have a Midas touch as home owners rode the transformation of Singapore from developing to developed economy and the accompanying jump in home values.
    Many people who say that property makes them money are, I believe, referring to this period. These are the older generation of home owners for whom property has, without a doubt, outshone every other investment.
    But the case for property being a winning proposition has since become less clear-cut.
    For example, there are some property buyers who bought houses close to the previous peak in 1996 and it has taken years before prices returned to those levels.
    Oleander Towers in Toa Payoh, for example, was transacting at around $800 psf (per square foot) in 1996, but during the global financial crisis, units could be had for less than $700 psf. This year, there are several units that have changed hands at more than $900 psf.
    There are also those who invested in luxury apartments during the latest peak of 2006 and 2007. Many of them could well be sitting on paper losses.
    For example, Bukit Sembawang sold 14 units at its Paterson Suites condo earlier this year at around $2,500 psf, about 15 per cent off the peak in 2007.
    What has cushioned the impact is that the developers, as well as many of these investors, are cash-rich and have holding power. Developers would have covered their costs from selling sufficient units, even if the project did not sell out. Many investors who have a large property portfolio are able to wait out their paper losses, while renting out their properties in the meantime.
    Winners and losers
    Equally, just as there are now cases of investors nursing paper losses, there are many who have made a pretty profit.
    The most recent upswing came when the global economic crisis hit after 2008, when the property market was in the doldrums. But a flood of cash from the first round of quantitative easing helped prop up the stock market, and before you knew it, property prices were on the rise again.
    Investors brave enough to venture into the market then are now the ones laughing all the way to the bank. Take the project at City Square Residences near Little India. In 2009 when the project was still uncompleted, psf prices were around $1,000. Now, nearly three years later, small units are transacting at around $1,600 psf.
    But even if there are investors who have made profitable bets, examples of investors making capital gains on such a scale will be thin on the ground from now on.
    The reason property investors are no longer going to enjoy a 100 per cent or 200 per cent upside is partly due to the series of cooling measures.
    The Government aims to have a stable property market. The days of flipping properties in 2006 or so - where for a downpayment of a few hundred thousand dollars, you could make almost that same sum a few months later by selling your option - are over.
    Supply is going to increase substantially on all fronts, from the HDB market, to the executive condominium market, to the condo market. That will keep price rises in check.
    The major structural change in the property market - a large jump in the population - which led to a surge in demand for housing has already occurred. Further rises in population numbers will be at a more placid pace.
    It may be easy enough for prices to rise by 50 per cent from $1,000 psf to $1,500 psf, but it will take much longer to hit $2,250 psf from the higher base of $1,500 psf.
    At the same time, potential buyers who stand ready to pounce once prices plunge should refrain from wishful thinking.
    That's because Singapore's fundamentals remain strong. There are people who want to upgrade, to move, and to rent. Singapore is seen as a safe haven and therefore will continue to attract investors - both local and foreign - who think property investments will remain a store of value.
    As prices are unlikely to fall much, what should be clear for investors who have missed the boat and are hoping to get into the property market is that handsome gains are probably going to be far and few between.
    There is, however, the slow boat, as I would call it - a respectable yearly yield from decent rental rates.
    This means that investors aiming to buy property have to focus on what brings them yield. This means buying smaller properties - such as two-bedders because these will be easier to rent out.
    Properties should also be close to transport links and amenities to cater to tenants who do not drive.
    While property investment may not make big money, if carefully handled, it is not a losing proposition either.

haha she dare not say one-bedder!

Double confirm, market has not peaked

Near peak, everybody will say it is a new PARADIGM

No one will ever remember 1996/1997 by then
    Ride at your own risk !!!

People has been saying property market peaked since 2 years ago !

Like I said many times, our property market will moderate and grow by +-1 % every month or quarter until 2015.

By then, some feels that it will crash 50% (which I think its nonsense). My personal feel is that our property market is maturing and people will still make the decent 5-10% gain if they hold the initial 4 years.

This is certainly better than leaving your month in the bank.

DKSG

Row row row your boat
    Gently UP the stream
    Merrily merrily slowiy slowly
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Row row row your boat
    Gently UP the stream
    Life is but a dream
    PN is marketing agent for UP @ Robertson ? hahaha!

DKSG

Leung inherited a host of problems from his predecessor Donald Tsang. One challenge is the influx of mainland visitors which hit 28 million last year. While they help boost the economy, Hong Kongers baulk at soaring property prices, sold-out milk powder, crowded hospitals and “uncivilised behaviour”.

Meanwhile, said Dr DeGolyer, enterprising Hong Kongers who might have wanted to cash in on the trend are trapped in what he calls “a cartelised economy”, in which property tycoons keep rents high, and control supermarket chains and their suppliers.

=> next Japan or Gotham City in the making

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG

DKSG
    Oh Shxt, someone just rocked my boat violently
    I can't hold on any more
    Help help I'm drowning
    Luckily It's just a afternoon-nap-mare

不要陷害我hor

I can't hold on any more
    Help help I'm drowning

不要陷害我hor
    The starting scene for the latest Final Destination series?

I can't hold on any more
    Help help I'm drowning

不要陷害我hor
    Afternoon nap still dreaming of boats ar !

Bravo !

Ok ! Time go out to visit some showflats lo !

The best investment strategy is to know the market well ...

The way to know the market well is to visit some showflats ...

DKSG

When someone keep saying he frequent showroom and always on the ground to listen to the market pulses, he's actually a sales agent in the showroom?

If not where got office boy so free go showroom one? Tio bo?

So don't anyhow put your words in my mouth.

DKSG
    no he trying to sell his airSTREAM mm unit

Afternoon nap still dreaming of boats ar !

Bravo !

Ok ! Time go out to visit some showflats lo !

The best investment strategy is to know the market well ...

The way to know the market well is to visit some showflats ...

DKSG
    or hang out here if too lazy.

also can know the mkt

When someone keep saying he frequent showroom and always on the ground to listen to the market pulses, he's actually a sales agent in the showroom?

If not where got office boy so free go showroom one? Tio bo?

So don't anyhow put your words in my mouth.
    Office Boy only get to go showflat over the weekend la!

Agents dont get to see as many properties as me de!
    They usually have to stay in a showflat for weeks and months.

So each year, at most they get to be in say 6-8 showflats (if they are very good). For me, each month I see at least 6-8...

Hehe! Ok ok ... Confirm PN is not agent. Confirm OfficeBoy not agent also ...

Any agents around then ? haha!

DKSG

Office Boy only get to go showflat over the weekend la!

Agents dont get to see as many properties as me de!
    They usually have to stay in a showflat for weeks and months.

So each year, at most they get to be in say 6-8 showflats (if they are very good). For me, each month I see at least 6-8...

Hehe! Ok ok ... Confirm PN is not agent. Confirm OfficeBoy not agent also ...

Any agents around then ? haha!

DKSG
    office boy, it will be interesting to see how many buyers are 40+ forced by MAS to force buy u know

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    no he trying to sell his airSTREAM mm unit
    Wow. Finally I know who is the one with 3rd eye in this forum

Not BJ21, Not Chesxxxxx ........ It's uncle Gay.

Wow. Finally I know who is the one with 3rd eye in this forum

Not BJ21, Not Chesxxxxx ........ It's uncle Gay.
    your mouth no need open so big la. my cork not that big.

your mouth no need open so big la. my cork not that big.
    Sorry. I'm not interested in man Your cxxk. Forget it.

Sorry. I'm not interested in man Your cxxk. Forget it.
    Gosh! And you are showing him your tongue now ?
    Please dont do this, there are underage viewers in this forum.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    office boy, it will be interesting to see how many buyers are 40+ forced by MAS to force buy u know
    Quite a fair number. I estimate that 10% of those who can and want to buy are now out of the market.

Lucky Office boy is not one of them. Hehe..

DKSG

Row row row your boat
    Gently UP the stream
    Life is but a dream
    Go go Go for it
    Land with MRT
    Renting certainly certainly rich
    That what future will be

Just kidding... but MRT will be key when car become more more expensive to own in future. Also, more and more MRT stations !
    Last edited by UltimateAro888; 14-10-12 at 20:07.

Gosh! And you are showing him your tongue now ?
    Please dont do this, there are underage viewers in this forum.

DKSG
    Alamak. Thanks for the reminder ...... but ..... but what are these underage doing in this forum? Are you one of them?

Alamak. Thanks for the reminder ...... but ..... but what are these underage doing in this forum? Are you one of them?
    office BOY leh he... how old do you think he is lol

office BOY leh he... how old do you think he is lol
    Old enough to own properties la!

Haha!

Work in office a few years already ...

Maybe should call myself "Retiring Office Boy" ... haha!

DKSG