Thread: Get used to renting for whole life

Default Get used to renting for whole life

With HDB hitting 1m and graduate pay remains below 3k .... many SPRs / FT holding S-Pass/EPs may need to rent for whole life

Unless they are accepted as SCs to get first BTO

What do u think?
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Just a simple change of mindset.

Most westernized ones believe in renting and not ownership. I dare say if URA release reports it will be high chance most owners are actually Chinese in race.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    With HDB hitting 1m and graduate pay remains below 3k .... many SPRs / FT holding S-Pass/EPs may need to rent for whole life

What do u think?
    Stressful for foreigners to stay in Singapore too. Today just had a sad case of (foreigner) mother committed suicide with her kid.

I just got fined by traffic/parking warden twice in succession for very minor infringement of traffic rule e.g. changing slightly early into bus bay in order to make a left turn just after the bus-bay. Something is very wrong with Singapore, with everyone so intolerant.

Something is very wrong with Singapore, and it is kinda of sad that things are turning out this way I'm afraid the social tension and stress of high cost of living will have bad implication for the future generation of Singaporeans in future even if they can afford, because there are many who can't afford. The society will become very unstable and non-cohesive.

What do u think?
    As long as SC can get their first BTO with relative ease, I have nothing more to wish for them in terms of housing.

The foreigners can continue to rent from SC.

Household salary will be allowed to rise in tandem (some lagging) with the cost of housing. Grad pay starts below 3K but many also experience high growth in pay over the years (for e.g. in 10 years of working).

It's also important to retain as much of productivity in our workforce as well.

One of the obvious ways IMO is for the cost of housing to be near the maximum of affordability. That will ensure that people continue to work till retirement.

There are social costs and health costs to this model. But obviously our leaders think this is the surest way to guarantee productivity.

There are also many choices of HDBs. Who says that they must get the $1 million kind? There are $0.5million HDBs as well, monthly $1681+-, assuming 20% downpayment ($100,000) and CPF interest rate of 2.6%.

in Sgp there is no worry at all for sc to get a house. I'm more worried about proper housing development plan to provide a home. good to see more and more ideas/plans/regulations coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Stressful for foreigners to stay in Singapore too. Today just had a sad case of (foreigner) mother committed suicide with her kid.

I just got fined by traffic/parking warden twice in succession for very minor infringement of traffic rule e.g. changing slightly early into bus bay in order to make a left turn just after the bus-bay. Something is very wrong with Singapore, with everyone so intolerant.

Something is very wrong with Singapore, and it is kinda of sad that things are turning out this way I'm afraid the social tension and stress of high cost of living will have bad implication for the future generation of Singaporeans in future even if they can afford, because there are many who can't afford. The society will become very unstable and non-cohesive.
    thx for sharing...
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

What do u think?
    i rented for 1 year and i swear to myself i will NEVER EVER rent a property in singapore....no money buy small flat...but DONT EVER rent unless company pay or you got ways to ensure free rental...

oh by the way the irony is my brother in law from australia got a 2 year posting to work in spore and his company paying his rental he got budget of $4k PM...hee hee this type damm shiok...next week i follow my sister to go view apts for rental...2 bedder around mt sophia/river valley...should be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    oh by the way the irony is my brother in law from australia got a 2 year posting to work in spore and his company paying his rental he got budget of $4k PM...hee hee this type damm shiok...next week i follow my sister to go view apts for rental...2 bedder around mt sophia/river valley...should be fun...
    4k can find for those area meh? unless older projects

he coming here wth family or is a single? get a 1 bedrm lor if single.

May be able to get a small studio not too near mrt, if lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I recommend Attitude at KY

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Rv suites just top, good pricing too.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    your right been looking at least 4.5 to 5k for decent place...4k all ULU walk up type.......so i told her maybe got to venture out to tanjung rhu or east coast side...

An abstract from my post To rent or to buy?
    (http://propertysoul.com/2010/12/11/to-rent-or-to-buy/)

Personally, I prefer to rent because of the flexibility it allows.

1) If I have money, I can move to a nicer place. When times are tough, I can settle for a more humble home.

2) Talk about relocating for work assignment or other commitment. When you leave the country, it may not be the right time to sell. It is also a hassle to find someone to manage the property on behalf of you.

3) Let the owner pay for installments, legal fee, stamp duty, renovation, repair, maintenance fee, property tax, etc. I just pay the rent and I can enjoy the place and all the facilities.

4) During bad times, I can bargain with the owner to lower the rent. You will be surprised how many Singapore landlords are ‘subsidizing’ the tenants to stay in their condo unit.

5) I don’t have to deduct a huge sum of down payment from my net worth. (Remember, personal net worth = assets minus liabilities minus own residence.) Money saved can be put in investments that promise high return. Continue building my net worth means one day I can buy any residence I like and pay in full.

your right been looking at least 4.5 to 5k for decent place...4k all ULU walk up type.......so i told her maybe got to venture out to tanjung rhu or east coast side...
    pls don't tell me meyer road...