Thread: Excuse me, can you buy me a sports car?

Default Excuse me, can you buy me a sports car?

http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News...30-374631.html

By Goh Shi Ting

Call him shameless or naive but a 20-year-old has sent more than 300 letters to the richest residents in Sentosa Cove asking for a "sports car sponsorship".

And as incredible as it may sound, he said 10 have responded to him within a week - though none has granted him his wish.

In a brief letter sent last Thursday, Mr Gaw Yu Han introduced himself, giving his name and age, before stating his purpose which was "the hope of finding a sponsor".

He said he likes cars and listed as his favourites Audi R8 Coupe, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG and Honda CR-Z.

"May I have the courage to ask for a car as a gift from you?" he wrote.

Owners of a Sentosa Cove property, he added, "must be a person of great success" and "it will be nice to know and perhaps learn from you".

His mobile phone number, e-mail address and Facebook page were included in the letters sent to landed-property addresses he found in an online street directory.

When contacted yesterday, Mr Gaw told The Straits Times over the phone: "Call it an experiment or a request if you want."

He claimed he is the only child of parents who run a real-estate business and drive a Toyota Camry. The Malaysian, who is a permanent resident here, said he lives in a private apartment in Upper Bukit Timah.

"But I don't like to ask my parents for money. I'd rather get a sponsorship," said Mr Gaw, who has lived here for 13 years.

He also claimed he is a first-year undergraduate at Singapore Management University. But when contacted, an SMU spokesman said the school is unable to confirm that he is a student.

When pressed on why he thinks strangers would be willing to give him such an expensive gift, Mr Gaw said he was "just trying his luck".

"Anyway, I spent only five cents on a letter. And even if nobody offers a car, I can still make friends. It is important to network and have connections," he said.

"I don't expect to give anything in return. What I can offer is casual friendship."

So far, 10 Sentosa Cove residents, all Singaporeans, have contacted him, he claimed.

But they were more interested in finding out why he is doing this than buying him his dream car.

One of them, a property developer known as Victor who owns two properties at Sentosa Cove, even arranged to meet him during the F1 race last Sunday and they chatted for 30 minutes, he told The Straits Times.

Victor had asked about his background and even requested to see his identity card - but no promises were made.

"I could tell that he was not interested," said Mr Gaw, who got his F1 ticket from an uncle.

"Singaporeans will never give me a car," he said.

But he is not discouraged.

He is pinning his hopes on foreigners, who could have missed his letter because they travel frequently, he said.

"Times have changed and foreigners are the wealthy ones," he said, adding that foreigners, like those from mainland China and Indonesia, are "so rich they don't know where to spend their money on".

Yesterday, his letter was circulated on the Hardware Zone online forum, garnering 10 pages of more than 100 comments in a day, with some netizens calling him naive and shameless.

Sentosa Cove resident Adora Ang, 22, a student, who lives in a bungalow on Ocean Drive, said he is brave to give all his contact details but silly to think it would work.

After reading the letter, she texted him: "Do you think that by sending a letter you'd get a car? Try harder." She has yet to get a response.

[email protected]

price, since u the most eligible bachelor for this year on this forum, maybe post your photo and ask for a condo?

I think response sure win that Gaw guy

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

buy you the car model you asked, but run on 4x AA battery can or not ??? ...

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    price, since u the most eligible bachelor for this year on this forum, maybe post your photo and ask for a condo?

No wat DP won that contest! I'm thinking of writing to them for a unit next to them

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle

Or maybe i should write to him/her instead could buy a row of Sentosa Cove's houses

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...1#.UHjTFm8WKsY

Quote Originally Posted by price
    Or maybe i should write to him/her instead could buy a row of Sentosa Cove's houses

I can advise u on how to think like a lesbian

No wat DP won that contest! I'm thinking of writing to them for a unit next to them
    u don't pretend,

sister butter, when your SIL coming back to sg?? make them meat!

My sifu told me there's this stranger Mr Wan (kenobi-wan / one? who added him suddenly on facebook...

This guy is cunning... he even tried to add sifu's friends in order so that if they accept, he will be able to see his postings and other details too.

The Mr Wan's fb page has his mug shot, plus an artist impression of Suites @ Paya Lebar I believe...

My sifu shared with me his suspicions on the identity of this guy... he looks young, works in executive wear with tie, possibly in Finance (one of the big four) or Insurance.

I wonder...

"Tian xia fu mu xin"

Ask him to be a "duck" and hook on a wealthy lonely woman.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Ask him to be a "duck" and hook on a wealthy lonely woman.
    how can you say like that? what if he asked to be introduced to your friend le? the one you mentioned about about this morning.

I hope nobody will give him a sports car. If you're going to splurge an expensive gift on a complete stranger, at least do so as an act of charity for someone deserving of it.