View Poll Results: Do you want free healthcare for the elderly above 65 years old?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Neutral

0 0%

Thread: Is three-generation family as social support still realistic?

Default Is three-generation family as social support still realistic?

I thought of yowetan when I read this article.

http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/E...till-realistic?

NUS professor's poser at roundtable discussion on ageing at home
    by Ashley Chia
    04:46 AM Oct 10, 2012

SINGAPORE - With more Singaporeans choosing to stay single or not have children, is the Government's emphasis on the three-generation family as social support for eldercare still realistic?

This was one of the points raised by Associate Professor Paulin Straughan from the National University of Singapore's (NUS) Department of Sociology, at a roundtable discussion yesterday on ageing at home organised by the NUS.

In a presentation before the discussion, Assoc Prof Straughan said that the ideology of the three-generational family support system is "no longer functional" and "moralising" eldercare has made the elderly "so afraid" of seeking help, as it would be acknowledging that their children have failed them.

The shrinking family nucleus will also be a "tremendous burden" in terms of finance, as it is not possible to take care of four parents and grow your own family at the same time, she added.

"By the time you drain your Medisave, who will look after you? It becomes an inter-generational transfer of problems because when you empty out your Medisave, your children will then have to be prepared to look after you and then it becomes a non-stop cascading kind of issue," said Assoc Prof Straughan, a former Nominated Member of Parliament.

For those aged 65 years and above, the Government could provide free healthcare and do away with means testing, she suggested.

This way the Government would know "upfront that it has to look after 20 per cent of the population and can plan the infrastructure" and that no one will "outplay" the system as everyone is eligible, she said, adding she was speaking "naively" as she is not trained in economics.

Members of Parliament (MP) TODAY spoke to were cautious about her suggestions, with Dr Chia Shi-Lu (Tanjong Pagar GRC) saying that free healthcare was "ideal" but not feasible with the current tax system and without burdening the healthcare system.

In his 20 years of practising medicine he has not come across anyone who has been refused treatment because they could not afford it, he said, adding: "We can also agree that the younger generation is willing to pay the bill for their parents."

Freeing up the system will also open the system to abuse and leave the Government with an "astronomical" bill, Dr Chia said. He also noted that the extent of the cost burden would also be less of an issue in future as most individuals above 45 would have health insurance, unlike the elderly now.

Associate Professor Phua Kai Hong from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, who chaired the NUS discussion, felt removing means testing "doesn't make sense".

"Some old people are rich, why have a blanket criteria," Dr Phua said. "I don't see why age should be used as a criteria, it should be differed by needs."

He suggested that the Government increase medical subsidies and payment to be on par with inflation rates.

Chua Chu Kang MP Zaqy Mohamad thought Assoc Prof Straughan's suggestions were "reasonable", but felt means testing should not be scrapped but "tweaked" instead.

"Perhaps the system should look at the immediate spouse or household income instead of at the whole family. You don't want to have to deplete your children's savings before they are retired," he said.

Taking care of our parent's medical bill should always be part of the government responsibility, and commitment.

They are also the ones who set the bills benchmark and they ought to take care of the older generation's health and well-being.

My wife and myself have contributed to the economy, and I believe we should get something back from the government as well.

PM in his national rally already said that there is no free meal. The money must come from somewhere ... and we all have an idea where the somewhere is ...

Seriously disagreed with your view. I am sure you do get paid to "contribute" to the economy. Leaving the parent to government is a very selfish thinking. Just like you parent and PIL contribute to your PC, and you turn around to tell them that pls ask Lee family to feed you...

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Taking care of our parent's medical bill should always be part of the government responsibility, and commitment.

They are also the ones who set the bills benchmark and they ought to take care of the older generation's health and well-being.

My wife and myself have contributed to the economy, and I believe we should get something back from the government as well.

I feel that the government can help to subsidise health care in the elderly. That means they will pay a certain percentage of the medical bill irregardless of whether the elderly patient chooses a subsidised or non subsidised treatment. This will help lighten the load on their children.

Family is the other F word.

Our public health care system is over strained. The waiting time for treatment and surgery is unacceptable.

Unless you are willing to pay extra for A ward or private hospital or private doctors, be prepared to wait till you die in your hospital bed before your turn for operation.

This is right. My parent stay in Malaysia and they need to take medicine on ling term basis. We only see private doctor for treatment. To take medicine, even the doctor also ask us to go government hospital. Coz no matter how much medicine u take and how many time u take, they only charge RM1. And most of the time, they forget to ask u pay. My grandmun was suffer illness a yr ago and first sent to gov hospital. Operation date was fixed within 1 week and check the total cost for operation, medicine, hospital stay will cost less than RM100 although eventually she had her operation in private which cost less than RM 20k for a major operation. No racist issue faced.

But honestly, I feel safe with Sg hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Our public health care system is over strained. The waiting time for treatment and surgery is unacceptable.

Unless you are willing to pay extra for A ward or private hospital or private doctors, be prepared to wait till you die in your hospital bed before your turn for operation.

You should buy a Shield plan to upgrade your Medishield if you haven't done so already. The premiums are still relatively affordable. Medical bills are very scary these days and they will never come down (unlike property).

Quote Originally Posted by kskong2000
    This is right. My parent stay in Malaysia and they need to take medicine on ling term basis. We only see private doctor for treatment. To take medicine, even the doctor also ask us to go government hospital. Coz no matter how much medicine u take and how many time u take, they only charge RM1. And most of the time, they forget to ask u pay. My grandmun was suffer illness a yr ago and first sent to gov hospital. Operation date was fixed within 1 week and check the total cost for operation, medicine, hospital stay will cost less than RM100 although eventually she had her operation in private which cost less than RM 20k for a major operation. No racist issue faced.

But honestly, I feel safe with Sg hospital.

My godmother pass away last saturday in TTSH hospital bed while waiting for heart bypass operation supposed to be scheduled this week. She has been waiting in hospital bed since 1st oct, no slot available.

The doctor can only say sorry...short of telling you to pay more and upgrade to "Susan Lim" 24/7 private treatment.

My godmother pass away last saturday in TTSH hospital bed while waiting for heart bypass operation supposed to be scheduled this week. She has been waiting in hospital bed since 1st oct, no slot available.

The doctor can only say sorry...short of telling you to pay more and upgrade to "Susan Lim" 24/7 private treatment.
    sorry for your loss.

heart bypass is so popular procedure or hospital resources really overstressed?

don't mean to be rude, but btw do you get more bullets to play next then? (as I kept seeing you say this project nice but out of bullets etc)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    sorry for your loss.

heart bypass is so popular procedure or hospital resources really overstressed?

don't mean to be rude, but btw do you get more bullets to play next then? (as I kept seeing you say this project nice but out of bullets etc)
    Still saving up, 40% down payment is quite a big amount.

Still saving up, 40% down payment is quite a big amount.
    may I know what you will buy if say you have the money today?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    may I know what you will buy if say you have the money today?
    If got alot of money then will be Leedon residence.
    If got money then will be 8 riversuites and The Sennett.

As of now I am waiting for the plot at AMK ave 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45VB8oXy8w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYZjHcF4RQ

If got alot of money then will be Leedon residence.
    If got money then will be 8 riversuites and The Sennett.

As of now I am waiting for the plot at AMK ave 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45VB8oXy8w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYZjHcF4RQ
    nice meh... full of hdb in near distant view leh

My mother was hospitalised in the last 3 months for a minor fracture. I have yet to receive the full medical bill. Lucky she has been fully insured all the time, so lighten the burden.

My personal experience in these 3 months:
    1. the old folk seek much more attention than normal
    2. food is generally quite ok only in hospital, but definitely not ok for longer term stay. So need to bring food quite often.
    3. efforts to bring old folks for medical review is not trival, got 3 appointments next week in 3 hospitals for the fracture, eyes and physio.
    4. home care is very challenging

For those working group with needs to support the ill or unwell old folks, it is going to be very demanding, financially, physically and mentally. On top of that, they still have the young ones to take care....real sandwich...

Much better retirement village with healthy living environment is lacking here.

Nowaday human being is very fragile. That's y i believe in buying some insurance (mortgage and life). Just in case i dont wake up tomorrow. My family still can sustain for a while.

Agree that Sg medical bill is high. This is 1 of the reason i still hesitate whether we convert into singaporean or not..too exp to retired here..