Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $$$$ to prepare for retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    lately, due to the hospitalisation of my mother for now 3 months, see so many sick people, I firmly believe, I want a good quality life....

A few months ago, one of my friends in early 40s passed away in his sleep. We later learnt from the autopsy that he died of heart failure, which was shocking because he had no known heart condition previously. Shortly later, another friend in his late 30s was diagnose with lung cancer.

2 weeks ago, my accounts clerk only 20 years old girl was hopitalised with tuberculosis, and last week her father in his 50s passed away from cancer.

Nowadays, I feel that more people are getting serious illnesses at a younger age. Not sure if others feel the same way. The increasingly high living costs in SG will probably add more stress to many Singaporeans, especially the younger generation.

ya, life is short and very unpredictable....

Quote Originally Posted by seletar
    2 weeks ago, my accounts clerk only 20 years old girl was hopitalised with tuberculosis, and last week her father in his 50s passed away from cancer.
    so as business owner, what did you do?
    letting her go would be the cheapest and safest option for your business.

work so hard until when finally earn 'enough' ready to enjoy the fruits, no life to enjoy.

what for?

seen too many of such stories liao. and I m not even 40 yet. if I don't learn to slow down and enjoy life now I am stupid and deserve to die faster.

She is a first year full-time Uni student in accounts. She applied to work as a temp for her 3 month school holiday from mid June to mid Sept, to gain accounts work experience and earn money during school holiday.

Her contract has expired and her school starts this week, but she is at home on MC resting.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    work so hard until when finally earn 'enough' ready to enjoy the fruits, no life to enjoy.

what for?

seen too many of such stories liao. and I m not even 40 yet. if I don't learn to slow down and enjoy life now I am stupid and deserve to die faster.
    Oh..i thought you, carbuncle is uncle of late 40... ! Now than I know you are still young.. !

She is a first year full-time Uni student in accounts. She applied to work as a temp for her 3 month school holiday from mid June to mid Sept, to gain accounts work experience and earn money during school holiday.

Her contract has expired and her school starts this week, but she is at home on MC resting.
    Be careful those of you living around NUS/Clementi area. My nephew also caught TB a few months ago. He only commutes between home (Upp Thomson area) and school (NUS High). It is likely he caught it at/around sch or during one of the commutes (bus/MRT). My impression is that TB is on the rise....when we went for screening at the TB Control Unit next to TTSH, it was pretty crowded.

Default How much to $$$$ to retire?

I think retirement amount is very subjective based on lifestyle and stage in life.

If you have no obligations towards children / education / loan then you should be able to live on as little as SGD 3k pm with either a reasonable weekly dining out lifestyle or else you eat at home but can own a compact car. Like my parents.

If you are in mid life with children and obligations then you will need 10k with a weekly dining out and with a car. Can go up to 20k depending on standards of lifestyle and when children do their Uni. But then that is hardly a retirement stage.

So nett, the vast majority of people cannot retire young.

When you are old and all obligations over you can live for maybe 3-5k, or maybe 10k for a comfortable lifestyle.

Anyone agree, disagree?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Don't just any how blame high living costs in SG lah!
    It is because nowsdays people are too greedy, want good life, good food, don't exercise and keep fit, go clubbing that is the problem! They are earning more and spending even much more!
    And please do not blame the government! Can only blame ownself!

A few months ago, one of my friends in early 40s passed away in his sleep. We later learnt from the autopsy that he died of heart failure, which was shocking because he had no known heart condition previously. Shortly later, another friend in his late 30s was diagnose with lung cancer.

Nowadays, I feel that more people are getting serious illnesses at a younger age. Not sure if others feel the same way. The increasingly high living costs in SG will probably add more stress to many Singaporeans, especially the younger generation.

ya. earn so much but no brain to take care of your greatest asset - health. nobody is iron body.

condowe bro wat made you think I late 40s?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Yup, must enjoy life.
    My needs are very simple.
    Coming to this forum is enjoying life.
    Able to eat simple and delicious food is enjoying life.
    Visit showflat and imagine I am living in one is a form of de-stressing ( not like I am so stressed up).
    No need fine dining.... actually I find fine dining stressful cos have to dress up, sit properly and eat with mouth closed.
    Actually I like visitng show flats too but abit pai seh because if not really going to buy and you see the poor agent waiting sometimes for hours to reach his turn...then come and serve me. Anyone feels the same as me or maybe I should have thicker skin

Quote Originally Posted by insigina
    Actually I like visitng show flats too but abit pai seh because if not really going to buy and you see the poor agent waiting sometimes for hours to reach his turn...then come and serve me. Anyone feels the same as me or maybe I should have thicker skin
    That is why, I visit showflat after the peak sale period and during weekday where there is hardly anyone and only 2-3 agents on site.

Sad to know. Hourly rate is not very high for so many hours put in per day. It can be even worst if have to fly around.
    I met a friend two weeks back.
    He is 59, earns around $270,000pa, just got cancer early this year.
    He told me :
    1. work is very stressful. Finish at 8pm everyday, dinner at 8:30pm earliest.
    2. work for another two years, mainly the employer subsidise the medical cost and can get medical leave and build more saving
    3. 3 children, youngest one is in the final u of uni.
    4. got one property (should be around $2m), and $250,000 cash.
    5. wife not working.

Once retire, he will trim all expenses, and keep life to the minimum.

I told him, after working for almost 40 years, treat himself better, work stress is a killer. The most important thing now is to grow his cash in fixed deposit to sustain his living and relax, don't let stress kill.

I look at him, left with little hair, weak...I felt so lousy for many days...

I told myself, I want to have a good quality life, need not spend lots of money, but must be happy and healthy...

lately, due to the hospitalisation of my mother for now 3 months, see so many sick people, I firmly believe, I want a good quality life....

ya. earn so much but no brain to take care of your greatest asset - health. nobody is iron body.

condowe bro wat made you think I late 40s?
    carb...uncle..uncle uncle lor.. !

That is why, I visit showflat after the peak sale period and during weekday where there is hardly anyone and only 2-3 agents on site.
    Yup , me too, visit showflat after peak period.
    And also if the agent has to specially go down to the showflat, then I tell them I will not be free.

Quote Originally Posted by insigina
    actually i also like that. last time i asked them can i view the showflat on my own first before engaging them, they say cannot. want to be nice but rejected.

car...bun... cle ok!

just wondering, for a person with income of 270k pa, how can he end up with only one property (ok la ... more ex than mine) and 250k cash?

I have more liquid assets than him but my income is no where near that level .. (perhaps if I am at his age lol)

He bought too many cars or lost his pants in stocks?!
    Ride at your own risk !!!

one ex-supplier just RIP yesterday at the age of 30+, left behind two young girls age at K1 and P3

I feel very very sad to see this young and hardworking guy died like this.

cherish......

Sometimes cannot ask these type of questions.
    Got lawyer/doctors/etc fly aeroplane/CBT/bankrupt etc.
    Money no enough for some.

Then got other frugal/good timing/lucky make it big in biz/investments/etc.

Most impt is must answer to self/conscience if you're happy/contented/etc then you're a success no matter who says what.
    Better still if your're humble/gracious/well mannered.

And your offspring don't piss it off all ...on gambling/wine/kena con/women

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    just wondering, for a person with income of 270k pa, how can he end up with only one property (ok la ... more ex than mine) and 250k cash?

I have more liquid assets than him but my income is no where near that level .. (perhaps if I am at his age lol)

He bought too many cars or lost his pants in stocks?!

one ex-supplier just RIP yesterday at the age of 30+, left behind two young girls age at K1 and P3

cherish......

So sorry to hear that, so sad, so young...

I just need economical rice two meals per day can liao. super low maintenance. grew up like that, now like that, old also like that.

other thing I cant live without is internet and my smartphone.

that's all.

I cant stomach abalone and birds nest everyday even if you give me.

guess I indulged in an excess of super luxuries in my past life, now I don't really desire anything.
    same same

cherish......
    what happen?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

I 'reward' myself with the occasional kfc or ice cream.

I 'reward' myself with the occasional kfc or ice cream.
    maybe try the kfc in malaysia..
    much better than SG one
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)