Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D21 Toh Tuck / Jurong kechil area - freehold or 99 years?

Unregister Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Not that near
    You can try walking one day and see if it is mangeable. Also distance from map can be deceiving. It's not a straight line when u walk, so will be >850m. Bukit Regency has not much facilities right and face a busy road? Hillview Regency also 800 meters from Bukit Gombak station and from what I know, nobody walks to the station and the condo provides shuttle bus.
    850m is not exactly near u know! Anyway, all the best!
    850m is very far, possibly 20 mins walk?

BP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregister
    850m is very far, possibly 20 mins walk?
    I have tried and it is just under 10 minutes. It is about 2 rounds of the running track in the stadium. If there is a new gate facing the round, the distance will be shortened by another 200 m.

Distance Guest

>2 rounds around the track is quite far leh! I think lazy people will take bus to MRT stationif close to 1km. The best is to buy those that is very near within 500m. Normal walking speed is 4km per hour. So 850m will take 12 minutes and cum traffic lights and up/down underpass probably around 15 min bah.
    Quote Originally Posted by BP
    I have tried and it is just under 10 minutes. It is about 2 rounds of the running track in the stadium. If there is a new gate facing the round, the distance will be shortened by another 200 m.

Unregistered18 Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Distance
    >2 rounds around the track is quite far leh! I think lazy people will take bus to MRT stationif close to 1km. The best is to buy those that is very near within 500m. Normal walking speed is 4km per hour. So 850m will take 12 minutes and cum traffic lights and up/down underpass probably around 15 min bah.

Actually this is to be expected. It is impossible for everyone to live near an MRT station. In any case, if you look at the earliest lines e.g. AMK, Yishun, the bulk of the people DO NOT live next to an MRT line. They just took feeder buses. Guess the condo chaps here will just have to do the same, especiall since BT (including UBT) is the longest road in Singaproe.

BP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Distance
    It is fortunate for Bukit Regency, there is no underpass, overhead bridge or hill to climb. It is just a reasonable flat ground with bukit timah hill on the left and two petrol kiosks, Courts superstore and a row of eating places on the right before reaching the future Beauty World MRT station. Singaporean should exercise more as we are rely alot on vehicles. Some people take bus eventhough it is only one bus-stop away. The top 2 critical illness are due partly of the lack of exercise. My son's school, a mission school, has more than a quarter of obese children. It is scary and we may end up like the Americans.

Mop Guest

Imagine someone with high heels and laptop. No way can walk back with the morning or afternoon sun coming down on them. With school bags, heels, laptops etc. it will take maybe 15-20 min to reach the station. 15-20 min under the sun is not fun. If rain, lagi worse. It is highly unlikely the govt will build covered walkways along UBT - it is very unsightly. Even current HDB estates, you don't see covered walkways everywhere along main roads. So, it's not ideal to walk close to 1km under the sun. For ladies lagi worse as their makeup will melt. So, if prices have not moved yet, should target those within 10min walking distance. Some unscrulous agents might anyhow say this condo that condo can walk to the MRT station. Best if buyers try out the route themselves on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by BP
    It is fortunate for Bukit Regency, there is no underpass, overhead bridge or hill to climb. It is just a reasonable flat ground with bukit timah hill on the left and two petrol kiosks, Courts superstore and a row of eating places on the right before reaching the future Beauty World MRT station. Singaporean should exercise more as we are rely alot on vehicles. Some people take bus eventhough it is only one bus-stop away. The top 2 critical illness are due partly of the lack of exercise. My son's school, a mission school, has more than a quarter of obese children. It is scary and we may end up like the Americans.

hippyee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mop
    Imagine someone with high heels and laptop. No way can walk back with the morning or afternoon sun coming down on them. With school bags, heels, laptops etc. it will take maybe 15-20 min to reach the station. 15-20 min under the sun is not fun. If rain, lagi worse. It is highly unlikely the govt will build covered walkways along UBT - it is very unsightly. Even current HDB estates, you don't see covered walkways everywhere along main roads. So, it's not ideal to walk close to 1km under the sun. For ladies lagi worse as their makeup will melt. So, if prices have not moved yet, should target those within 10min walking distance. Some unscrulous agents might anyhow say this condo that condo can walk to the MRT station. Best if buyers try out the route themselves on a hot day.
    Aiyoh, got mrt station is better than no mrt station. In fact, some people prefer mrt station not to be too near for the simpler eson that mrt station is always associated with crowds and jams. Near and yet not too near.. its perfect!

MRT Guest

but must take bus to MRT is as good as no MRT. The best will be like Dairy Farm and Glendale Park - just the right distance to walk to MRT. Maplewoods also not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hippyee
    Aiyoh, got mrt station is better than no mrt station. In fact, some people prefer mrt station not to be too near for the simpler eson that mrt station is always associated with crowds and jams. Near and yet not too near.. its perfect!

Unregistered18 Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hippyee
    I think the general consensus is that it is better to have an MRT station within normal walking distance. If I remember correctly, in a previous ST article, this was defined as being within 300-400 m (one round of the stadium track). They based this on a survey of real estate agents, and sales caveats which reflected the popularity of properties within walking distance.

Nevertheless, if there are those who prefer not to live too near to MRT stations, they are in luck. I think less than 5% of all Singaporean homes are near (by definition) to an MRT stations. Those who prefer not to be too near will have many (and much cheaper) houses to choose.

Agree Guest

Agree with your views. If you place have MRT station 1km away, it's not perfect but better than nothing - take shuttle bus lor. But if you're looking for a place for investment now, it's best to find somewhere within walking distance to MRT. The good news is prices will not move up immediately as the DTL will take 6 years to build - from what I could see, there isn't much difference in the prices. So if you're looking for LT investment, should target those that is within walking distance to MRT because this investment will not go wrong. Within walking distance is preferably within 500m.

Bukit Regncy Owner Guest

Exclamation CALLING BUKIT REGENCY OWNERS!

We should consider having a side gate, nearer to end of Block 3, to reduce the walking distance to Beauty World in future. Not sure if authority will approve it.

bukit timah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bukit Regncy Owner
    We should consider having a side gate, nearer to end of Block 3, to reduce the walking distance to Beauty World in future. Not sure if authority will approve it.
    Looking thru the caveats, Linear 999 hit 420psf, you bukti timah pricks are so screwed.

David Boo Guest

Furthermore, 2015 is long time away.

Not long Guest

It's just 6 years. Better than buying those new condos, must wait 3 years to move in, by then half of the 6 years is gone already. Anyway, property is a long term investment, so investment horizon is easily 6-7 years, not a one year affair. If you don't need a place to stay urgently, might as well buy a resale and get rental yield than cheong those showflats. Also, it is well known that the new condos will have bad quality because of high construction costs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Boo

Unregistered123 Guest

No such caveats found. Anyway, Linear is selling at low prices (600+psf) for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bukit timah
    Looking thru the caveats, Linear 999 hit 420psf, you bukti timah pricks are so screwed.

Unregistered18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Not long
    It's just 6 years. Better than buying those new condos, must wait 3 years to move in, by then half of the 6 years is gone already. Anyway, property is a long term investment, so investment horizon is easily 6-7 years, not a one year affair. If you don't need a place to stay urgently, might as well buy a resale and get rental yield than cheong those showflats. Also, it is well known that the new condos will have bad quality because of high construction costs.

I am not sure about how good or bad the new condos will be, but I think that in Singapore, the developers will generally overbuild i.e. go beyond the required standards, at least as far as safety is concerned. That said, it is true that at least as far as size and location are concerned, older condos are generally better.

As for buying a resale or new development, resale (for rental yields) is definitely attractive for those who want to build for steady income. As for property appreciation, unless the new development is priced low (which is often not the case), there may be relatively little upside. Older is also better here. The main thing for older condos is that it must be in good shape and well located.

In the case of BT, proximity to the better schools was once the main criterion. Now location to MRT stations has also become a factor. Best if you can get both. For D21, target those within walking distance of MRT and within 1-2 km of MGS & Pei Hwa Presbyterian. Most of the other elite schools in BT are in D10 (SCGS, ACS, Raffles, Nanyang), which may be a little too costly..

analyst101 Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by David Boo
    I think that property prices will be down for the next 1 or 2 years. It would then uptrend with all the developments.

The MRT is timed very well. When the economy picks up (after the next 2 years), property prices will at least return to last years level (hopefully from a new low at end next year). Then those who invested during the downturn will reap a good profit. 2015 will then be a good time to sell.

insider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered18
    In the case of BT, proximity to the better schools was once the main criterion. Now location to MRT stations has also become a factor. Best if you can get both. For D21, target those within walking distance of MRT and within 1-2 km of MGS & Pei Hwa Presbyterian. Most of the other elite schools in BT are in D10 (SCGS, ACS, Raffles, Nanyang), which may be a little too costly..
    SCGS, ACS Barker, Raffles Girls Primary are in D11.

Nanyang is in D10.

Don't wait Guest

Don't wait too long ar. I think must act when the market starts moving. Don't keep waiting for beginning 2007 numbers which is almost 35% decline for mass market. That may not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by analyst101
    I think that property prices will be down for the next 1 or 2 years. It would then uptrend with all the developments.

The MRT is timed very well. When the economy picks up (after the next 2 years), property prices will at least return to last years level (hopefully from a new low at end next year). Then those who invested during the downturn will reap a good profit. 2015 will then be a good time to sell.

redryder Guest

Default Can't decide between HDB or Condo

I've been looking at High-Oak condo (99yr lease) in Toh Tuck, as it is within 1km from Pei Hwa and near Beauty World MRT.

The other alternative is HDB, but asking prices are very high. A 1500sqft Exec Maisonette is asking for $710k, while other EMs (lower flr) around $650k. Five-room HDB asking for $550k.

Saw a few units of High Oak, ranging from 770k to 850k. These are 3bedroom 11xx sqft size.

For investment purpose, do you think it is better to go for the condo rather than HDB? But for HDB I am still eligible for HDB loan, which gives peace of mind at fixed 2.6%. Also HDB don't need to pay monthly maintenance of $300+.

Whichever I choose I'll probably stay there for 10-15 years.

Unregistered222 Guest

$850k for 1100 sq ft, which is $770psf for 99yrLH? The FH condos there are gg for roughly the same price rite? What about Hillview? There is a Methodist School near Rail Mall. There're also groceries (Cold Storage) at the Rail Mall. Also have Hillview MRT station. Looking at SLA land sales in the reserve list, one of the empty plot is slated for 6000sq ft of retail space to be released later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by redryder
    I've been looking at High-Oak condo (99yr lease) in Toh Tuck, as it is within 1km from Pei Hwa and near Beauty World MRT.

The other alternative is HDB, but asking prices are very high. A 1500sqft Exec Maisonette is asking for $710k, while other EMs (lower flr) around $650k. Five-room HDB asking for $550k.

Saw a few units of High Oak, ranging from 770k to 850k. These are 3bedroom 11xx sqft size.

For investment purpose, do you think it is better to go for the condo rather than HDB? But for HDB I am still eligible for HDB loan, which gives peace of mind at fixed 2.6%. Also HDB don't need to pay monthly maintenance of $300+.

Whichever I choose I'll probably stay there for 10-15 years.

Unregistered18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered222
    $850k for 1100 sq ft, which is $770psf for 99yrLH? The FH condos there are gg for roughly the same price rite? What about Hillview? There is a Methodist School near Rail Mall. There're also groceries (Cold Storage) at the Rail Mall. Also have Hillview MRT station. Looking at SLA land sales in the reserve list, one of the empty plot is slated for 6000sq ft of retail space to be released later this year.

Depends on what you want to buy for. The properties near Beauty World are near to a couple of good schools. Hill view does not have the same attractions. Beauty World is also in D21 and has a couple of shopping centres already. Eateries and a market are nearby. The place is guaranteed good rental revenue for obvious reasons, both for expats (Caucasians, Koreans, Japs) and locals (those with primary chool kids).
    Prices reflect the attractions of the D21 properties versu the D23 (Hillview Properties). Even LH D21 properties sell for higher than D23 (FH) properties - check the URA caveats for the last couple of years.

Undervalued Guest

I think you're using old data. That is not true. The Jurong Kechil properties are fetching horrible prices, not higher than Hillview. The 99LH like Bukit View and Le Wood (500+psf) are not fetching higher prices than Jade at Bt Batok D23 (800psf) or Hillview FH (650-800psf). Even Southvaven is at $600-700psf. RT is new so not a good comparison. I might as well say Park Natura and Hillvista at D23 is above $1000psf and thus more expensive. While Hillview side has achieved above 1000psf, none at Beauty World (incl new RT) has fetched anything close. There is no FH condo within walking distance near Beauty World MRT. Hume area is a goner also - someone from Hume even wrote to the papers to complain they cant walk to both MRT stations. So Hillview is a good bet and undervalued.

Just do not be too blinded with district zoning. Why does Jade at D23 fetch much prices than D21 condos? It's obviously because of MRT.

There is no good schools within 1km of Beauty World unless you consider Pei Hwa a good school?

Depends on what you want to buy for. The properties near Beauty World are near to a couple of good schools. Hill view does not have the same attractions. Beauty World is also in D21 and has a couple of shopping centres already. Eateries and a market are nearby. The place is guaranteed good rental revenue for obvious reasons, both for expats (Caucasians, Koreans, Japs) and locals (those with primary chool kids).
    Prices reflect the attractions of the D21 properties versu the D23 (Hillview Properties). Even LH D21 properties sell for higher than D23 (FH) properties - check the URA caveats for the last couple of years.

Unregistered18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Undervalued
    I think you're using old data. That is not true. The Jurong Kechil properties are fetching horrible prices, not higher than Hillview. The 99LH like Bukit View and Le Wood (500+psf) are not fetching higher prices than Jade at Bt Batok D23 (800psf) or Hillview FH (650-800psf). Even Southvaven is at $600-700psf. RT is new so not a good comparison. I might as well say Park Natura and Hillvista at D23 is above $1000psf and thus more expensive. While Hillview side has achieved above 1000psf, none at Beauty World (incl new RT) has fetched anything close. There is no FH condo within walking distance near Beauty World MRT. Hume area is a goner also - someone from Hume even wrote to the papers to complain they cant walk to both MRT stations. So Hillview is a good bet and undervalued.

Just do not be too blinded with district zoning. Why does Jade at D23 fetch much prices than D21 condos? It's obviously because of MRT.

There is no good schools within 1km of Beauty World unless you consider Pei Hwa a good school?
    Actually Pei Hwa IS a good school. It has to undergo balloting for several phases every year. MGS is 1 or 2 km of Beauty World. It also has to undergo balloting. As a rough guide for what amounts to a good school, you can check the MOE website for balloting details.

D21 and D23 have different attractions. While I presume that you must live in Hillview, having championed the area so much, I do not live in either (I live in D10). However, I work in D23 and have to pass by D21 to get to my work place. As far as convenience and future appreciation is concerned, my bet is on Beauty World. Of course, to each his own.

Good schools Guest

No. I stay in D11, but looking to invest in Hillview area as prices are VERY reasonable and got future MRT. Freehold and future MRT at 650psf. I think Beauty World condos are just as cheap but long walk to MRT and near HDB. Good schools is not an issue because I come from a pretty good affiliated school myself. Actually the so-called "popular" primary schools produce great results. People go to Nanyang to get connections actually. Most primary schools are around the same IMHO. Not important to send to the popular ones, unless you want connections like Nanyang.
    Actually Pei Hwa IS a good school. It has to undergo balloting for several phases every year. MGS is 1 or 2 km of Beauty World. It also has to undergo balloting. As a rough guide for what amounts to a good school, you can check the MOE website for balloting details.

D21 and D23 have different attractions. While I presume that you must live in Hillview, having championed the area so much, I do not live in either (I live in D10). However, I work in D23 and have to pass by D21 to get to my work place. As far as convenience and future appreciation is concerned, my bet is on Beauty World. Of course, to each his own.

jessica5678 Guest

Question

I am hse huntg @ Bukit Timah, but there r too many project out there, lost!

analyst101 Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jessica5678
    I am hse huntg @ Bukit Timah, but there r too many project out there, lost!
    You can never get a perfect property. It does not exist. Even one that is almost perfect will probably cost too much.

Just look around. Go for the feel. The other factors like location, price, ameneties, MRT e.t.c. will then tilt the balance.

Also, buy something within your means...

jessica5678 Guest

Smile

em... Thanks! I will buy something within my means of course...... I like smaller project abt less than 300 units is ideal

Not too small Guest

Sometime development too small also no good, because less facilities and no room for kids to run around and have fun. I think 300-450 units or so should be ok. Have fun searching. You should have lots of choice nowadays with the weakening market. Important to buy a place that you like within your means

em... Thanks! I will buy something within my means of course...... I like smaller project abt less than 300 units is ideal

rfid Guest

may i suggest parc palais in hume ave. seriously, it very nice, inside. and not too pricey too. huge land! and only less than 400 units. i own a unit there but not selling.. hee hee. i know all the hume condos, but PP is my fave.