Thread: what if hdb too old & not fit for occupancy, govt replace it??..

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Default what if hdb too old & not fit for occupancy, govt replace it??..

what if hdb too old & not fit for occupancy, govt replace it??..

let's say, if some hdb flats becomes too old at 50-60yrs and no longer fit for occupancy, what will happen ??...
    - those hdb owners kiss good bye to their whole life savings ??
    - govt SER it, and replace with new hdb (some $$ top-up needed) ??
    - those mandatory fire insurance for hdb covers the building the building collapses by itself or not ??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    before the hdb block collapses, there should be some signs that the structure is in problem...
    - the every 5yr bca structure PE checking should be able to find some crack lines, cement slabs falling off and etc
    - there should be complaints of roof-top leaking, external wall leaking and etc
    - should have some records of some internal kitchen or toilet floors collapse

will govt actually SER it much earlier before it collapses ??...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what do you guys think ??...

Architects designed to last for two hundred years, what is your definition of not fit for occupancy?

heya...

first, i do not believe those hdb blocks could last for >60yrs...
    second, anything can happen mah !!... soil settlement, building lack of maintenance, LTA MRT tunneling, renovation guys anyhow cut away 1 pillar and etc all can cause buildings to collapse mah...

Think govt will just redo the facade of the block if it looks too old a part of estate renewal. As for structural changes, I doubt so unless things like tunnelling or major road works is going to cause instability (which is very unlikely). I am more concerned about whether LKY's policy of hdb as wealth preservation asset still holds if the flat runs to half its lease coz I am still holding on to one hdb flat for rental income. My capital appreciation is more than 400+% so far.

China many many palaces and temples still standing in spite of four seasons and primitive construction and being hundreds of years old.

Europe many cathedrals and palaces also still standing strong.

All it takes is regular maintenance and our HDBs will last through ours and our kids and our grandkids and so on lifetimes.

But HDB has a social mandate, that is to continuously improve the lives of Singaporeans. That's why the continuous upgrading, tearing down and rebuilding entire estates, with new facilities, new amenities and so on.

So yes SERs will most likely happen once in every owner's lifetimes, sometimes even twice. It has a seriously big impact on voters, and with 80% of us living in pigeon holes, this is one area the govt won't let anyone down.

my hdb tenant's condo top soon.... hdb renovation was like 20yrs ago... that hdb already 30+yr old liow... don't know to keep it or put $$ into new renovation... once sold forever cannot buy back...

Hdb=votes=ruling party

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Hdb=votes=ruling party
    my hdb address not in hougang or aljunied....

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    my hdb tenant's condo top soon.... hdb renovation was like 20yrs ago... that hdb already 30+yr old liow... don't know to keep it or put $$ into new renovation... once sold forever cannot buy back...
    Maybe just simple reno to tenantable condition

My hdb also 30 yr old now undergoing major reno...everyday i go n c bit by bit looking like brand new house....see also shiok....anyway i moving back tats why reno....me no sell hdb...keep long long....CASH COW

Quote Originally Posted by PropertyNewbie

Trust me i also think of simple but once go showroom for id company everything also want to change....bring wife go worse....everything must change...

impossible...
    - whole kitchen need to hack and redo
    - whole unit need to rewire
    - all windows need to replace

except toilets were upgraded by hdb, aircon still quite new

may be i will try to rent out as it is.... but at lower rental... my current rent is 30% lower than my neighbour on same floor....

Don't count your blessings too soon, govt already removed main upgrading programme liao, they are capable of removing sers, but they will likely lose a lot of votes for doing that.
    China many many palaces and temples still standing in spite of four seasons and primitive construction and being hundreds of years old.

Europe many cathedrals and palaces also still standing strong.

All it takes is regular maintenance and our HDBs will last through ours and our kids and our grandkids and so on lifetimes.

But HDB has a social mandate, that is to continuously improve the lives of Singaporeans. That's why the continuous upgrading, tearing down and rebuilding entire estates, with new facilities, new amenities and so on.

So yes SERs will most likely happen once in every owner's lifetimes, sometimes even twice. It has a seriously big impact on voters, and with 80% of us living in pigeon holes, this is one area the govt won't let anyone down.

my hdb address not in hougang or aljunied....
    What i mean if ruling party ever take away some hdb flat from the public thats end of singapore....nobody will trust govt

impossible...
    - whole kitchen need to hack and redo
    - whole unit need to rewire
    - all windows need to replace

except toilets were upgraded by hdb, aircon still quite new

may be i will try to rent out as it is.... but at lower rental... my current rent is 30% lower than my neighbour on same floor....
    Stanby 30k...i know the feeling...

Oh sorry without toilet maybe 20k

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Stanby 30k...i know the feeling...

Oh sorry without toilet maybe 20k
    5rm hdb, preparing...
    3K+ for windows
    3K+ for full re-wiring
    1K+ for marble floor polishing
    painting not needed... i repainted myself ~2yr back...

kitchen full hack+cabinet how much ??... 13K ??...

5rm hdb, preparing...
    3K+ for windows
    3K+ for full re-wiring
    1K+ for marble floor polishing
    painting not needed... i repainted myself ~2yr back...

kitchen full hack+cabinet how much ??... 13K ??...

Oh sorry mine is 30k whole house hacking and laying tiles...rewiring. Glass sliding door at kitchen..windows..doors..wadrobe..aircon...like i said see what do what..

But ur case based on what u specify maybe 10 to 12 k enough...since no tiling and tile hacking involved..

There will still be SERS, but it will be slower due to lack of land and high cost of compensation. SERS helps to increase the plot ratio and maximise the use of land, as you notice new SERS flats are very tall and efficient in the use of land. Housing is very sensitive and the ruling party has learnt it the hard way. Giving people a good place to stay is a way to keep 80% of the population happy.