Thread: Nightclubs are limited to 8 foreign workers

Default Nightclubs are limited to 8 foreign workers

From October, nightclubs here will be able to hire up to eight foreign entertainers, down from the current limit of 15.

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said in a circular sent to nightclub operators a week ago that the new limit is in line with the Government's efforts "to regulate the increasing dependency on foreign manpower".

The limit of eight aside, Public Entertainment Licensed (PEL) outlets have to hire at least one Singapore worker to be eligible to hire foreign entertainers.

Foreign staff working as entertainers in PEL outlets, which include discotheques, pubs and nightclubs, are required to have performing artiste work permits, which are valid up to six months.

=> the owner himself/herself must roll their sleeves??

Quickly snap up MMs in Geylang / Joo Chiat as nightclubs are going to fold soon !!!
    Ride at your own risk !!!

On the flipside I think it creates more employment opportunities for LT local talents! way to go

Will the ugly one get retrench? Only the top 8? Their loss is our gain.

nightclubs up prices ... inflationary again

On the other hand... in the nightclub business there far fewer local talents that are willing to take it on.

Even before the PRCs and Fillipinos came into the picture, the nightclub scene was dominated by Malaysians.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    On the flipside I think it creates more employment opportunities for LT local talents! way to go

Sunday Times also said restaurant owners cannot find Singaporean full time wait staff so must do it themselves

Of course lah, starting pay 1k how to make ppl interested, try starting pay at 2.5k u see, even graduates will come interview

In some countries like NZ, Norway ... the starting pay of such jobs are much higher

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Sunday Times also said restaurant owners cannot find Singaporean full time wait staff so must do it themselves

Of course lah, starting pay 1k how to make ppl interested, try starting pay at 2.5k u see, even graduates will come interview

In some countries like NZ, Norway ... the starting pay of such jobs are much higher
    ok that means sooner or later the starting pay will increase to attract locals, meaning food court price further increase.... inflation and more inflation.... so scary ....

I know where you are coming from wrt minimum wage and you may have a valid point.

But I think the nite club business is a different kettle of fish...... its not for everybody and its not just about the pay. Of course I am expecting you to rebut and disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    I know where you are coming from wrt minimum wage and you may have a valid point.

But I think the nite club business is a different kettle of fish...... its not for everybody and its not just about the pay. Of course I am expecting you to rebut and disagree...
    This one I agree with u .. nightclub is different. I once heard that in NZ day time you can collect garbage, night time you can become violinist and you can survive financially

In Singapore, if you are garbage collector... you will be lucky to have meals on your table, don't talk about music

It is this kind of intangible things that make ppl happy ... of course LKY will disagree, he will say NZ/Norway has natural resources, Singapore doesn't, if Singapore allows a little bit more happiness for these people, biz cost will be too high, Singapore will not be competitive ... then Singapore will die ... yeah but unhappy workers do not pro-create ... at the end back to square one
    Last edited by phantom_opera; 13-08-12 at 17:32.

Well, this is bound to happen when you do a sudden 'shift' in labour policy.

In a few years time, perhaps before 2016, MIW will blame us for voting for less migrants and therefore higher cost/inflation.

Policy changes sld be gradual so the system can absorb the effects. Businesses and public and infrastructure all can adjust ...then we wouldn't have these wage/labour shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    ok that means sooner or later the starting pay will increase to attract locals, meaning food court price further increase.... inflation and more inflation.... so scary ....

I am not asking PAP to emulate Norway .. but there must be a right balance:

Norwegian oil and gas workers are the best paid in the world, followed by those in Australia, Brunei and the Netherlands, earning more than twice the average salary of all countries surveyed, according to a Hays Oil & Gas report. Average salaries in the sector amount to roughly 727,200 Norwegian crowns (USD120,000), with offshore staff the best paid industrial workers in Norway, according to the statistics office.

I think oil and gas workers are not a good example, they are well-paid everywhere.

Incidentally, we do have Singaporean oil and gas workers in Australia, Brunei and even operating out of Norway too for oil industies mining in the North Sea.

Btw, Norwegians pay up to 48% in personal taxes and 25% in VATs (value-added-tax like our GST)...

I am not asking PAP to emulate Norway .. but there must be a right balance:

Norwegian oil and gas workers are the best paid in the world, followed by those in Australia, Brunei and the Netherlands, earning more than twice the average salary of all countries surveyed, according to a Hays Oil & Gas report. Average salaries in the sector amount to roughly 727,200 Norwegian crowns (USD120,000), with offshore staff the best paid industrial workers in Norway, according to the statistics office.

Expect Q4 inflation to worsen due to salary increment.Problem will persist for e next few quarters. Lower income will b squeezed harder bcoz e pace of inflation will outpace e salary adjustment, if any. Grab something tt cannot b printed easily n not in big supply.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Grab something tt cannot b printed easily n not in big supply.
    COE fit the bill?...haha

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    COE fit the bill?...haha
    COE is the worst - 10 years useful life at most.

no m3i m3i ?