Thread: Tenants from HELL.....MY EXPERIENCE

Default Tenants from HELL.....MY EXPERIENCE

Urggggh..really need to vent my frustration....as most of u know i am slowly picking up the pieces and moving back to MY Highly Developed Block aka 4rm flat that was rented out for a good couple of years.....as i had intentions to do MAJOR renos...i did NOT pursue the matter with my tenant i told him just FO....and leave the keys in the shoe rack after you gone.....

KNN Bangla Really DESTROYED my hoiuse...NOTHING that a MAJOR reno wont fix...which is what i intended to do in the first place....BUT the below story i am about to narrate really SUCKZZZZ...

I had a garage sale for whatever little furniture i had...AND this dude bought my sofa....a few days later he smssed me and Kinda F me...saying that there were COCKROACHEs coming out of the sofa...URGGGGHHHH blady tenant

Then yesterday i met my neighbour NICE dude..we are GOOD neighbours really feel very bad when he told me this TENANT KNS every night make noise play TV oud..bang doors and mess up the corridor...wah i really really paiseh...and apologised sincerely lucky he nice dude and said its OK...

MORAL of story..yah when u take money from people for renting your apt these are the bad things that can happen..GEEZ

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    Urggggh..really need to vent my frustration....as most of u know i am slowly picking up the pieces and moving back to MY Highly Developed Block aka 4rm flat that was rented out for a good couple of years.....as i had intentions to do MAJOR renos...i did NOT pursue the matter with my tenant i told him just FO....and leave the keys in the shoe rack after you gone.....

KNN Bangla Really DESTROYED my hoiuse...NOTHING that a MAJOR reno wont fix...which is what i intended to do in the first place....BUT the below story i am about to narrate really SUCKZZZZ...

I had a garage sale for whatever little furniture i had...AND this dude bought my sofa....a few days later he smssed me and Kinda F me...saying that there were COCKROACHEs coming out of the sofa...URGGGGHHHH blady tenant

Then yesterday i met my neighbour NICE dude..we are GOOD neighbours really feel very bad when he told me this TENANT KNS every night make noise play TV oud..bang doors and mess up the corridor...wah i really really paiseh...and apologised sincerely lucky he nice dude and said its OK...

MORAL of story..yah when u take money from people for renting your apt these are the bad things that can happen..GEEZ
    Thanks for sharing experience. I guess for every rental, we need to set aside S$80,000 for total renovation at the end of tenancy... which works out to be S$3,333 per month assuming 24 months tenancy. I don't think it is achievable to get profit plus S$3,333 per month.

You poor thing bro radha08!
    But luckily you are doing major reno and can put the past behind you.
    Imagine if you are going to let out the house and the prospective tenant go view the place and will puke when he sees it in such a condition.

I don't know for my case, in future, whether I should let out my present place when I move to my new place or just sell it away or even leave it empty.
    But in my dream, I dreamt of my future tenant already......

....... A nice FT family with a well behaved primary school son.

bro radha did u confiscate the deposit?

pure luck when it comes to tenant. u never know what they do behind closed doors. until of coz u spot check...

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    bro radha did u confiscate the deposit?

pure luck when it comes to tenant. u never know what they do behind closed doors. until of coz u spot check...
    no la bro....i nice guy plus so far my tenant been good in sense he pay me on time..NEVER delay...plus like i said already decide to do major reno...BUT really dissapointed...he ask me to keep his letter for him...KNS...all i throw dustbin...

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    You poor thing bro radha08!
    But luckily you are doing major reno and can put the past behind you.
    Imagine if you are going to let out the house and the prospective tenant go view the place and will puke when he sees it in such a condition.

I don't know for my case, in future, whether I should let out my present place when I move to my new place or just sell it away or even leave it empty.
    But in my dream, I dreamt of my future tenant already......

....... A nice FT family with a well behaved primary school son.
    tks but what i am relating IS REALITY i am sure there are MORE Horror stories out there its just part and parcel of the BUSINESS thats how i look at it...my friend told me his house rented to china national they were breeding BIRDS for ...CONSUMPTION...when he took back the apt bathroom got birds nests....

u want to charge high high and rent out to MAX # of persons you will get shit later

always check the background of your tenants, best is pilot / SIA girls that seldom stay ... cheaper also nevermind

next best is IT professional work for MNC ... come home very late, always on call no time stay at home

have some protection clauses like u can hire cleaners to clean up and tenants must pay if condition is not satisfactory also tenants must engage A/C cleaning at their own cost twice per year
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mygeemeel
    Thanks for sharing experience. I guess for every rental, we need to set aside S$80,000 for total renovation at the end of tenancy... which works out to be S$3,333 per month assuming 24 months tenancy. I don't think it is achievable to get profit plus S$3,333 per month.
    I have been rental my condo to different corporate tenant for more than 5 yrs so far no issue for me.. !

I had one tenant that drilled many many holes in the bath room, actually hand book got mentioned can nn any how drill holes in toilet and kitchen as many consealed gas and water lines are running in way behind thise wall..

The deposit is deducted to replace the whole tiles ...

For those furnish furnitures and bed mattress , I usually dispose and buy new upon new tenant...

After few times , I become nn feeling liao. Give up ... Take it as part of tenancy expenditure and the unit is just a cash generation revenue. ..

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    always check the background of your tenants, best is pilot / SIA girls that seldom stay ... cheaper also nevermind

next best is IT professional work for MNC ... come home very late, always on call no time stay at home

have some protection clauses like u can hire cleaners to clean up and tenants must pay if condition is not satisfactory also tenants must engage A/C cleaning at their own cost twice per year
    Yup...agree with you.
    Many years ago, my parents let out their condo to a pilot with an SIA stewardess girlfriend and the unit was vey clean, only thing the ang mo pilot was a bit kwai lan, otherwise they were good tenants who paid rental on time.

Yup.... should include air con servicing as a clause, and they must produce the receipts for inspection.

I had one tenant whom take care the unit very well ..
    Pay on time and literally problem free...only once was the centre heater leak.

The declared resident were both men ...
    Somehow can not help to believe both if them are gay...after repossess the unit..eeeeerr!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    I had one tenant whom take care the unit very well ..
    Pay on time and literally problem free...only once was the centre heater leak.

The declared resident were both men ...
    Somehow can not help to believe both if them are gay...after repossess the unit..eeeeerr!!!!
    Nevermind if they are gay lah.
    You change the mattress can already.
    Even if not gay, also recommended to change mattress anyway.

Gay men can be quite OCD about appearance and cleanliness.
    Got a handful of gay guy friends so I know.

Nevermind if they are gay lah.
    You change the mattress can already.
    Even if not gay, also recommended to change mattress anyway.

Gay men can be quite OCD about appearance and cleanliness.
    Got a handful of gay guy friends so I know.
    Yap... That why the mattress got to change ..
    I went in once in the pretext of inspection with the sub contractor to check the heater...the Hse was deco with lot of candle at every corners and nice fragrant oil...

And I notice gay are women friendly, meaning they click well with the sisters .....
    But I am just find it goose pimples...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    u want to charge high high and rent out to MAX # of persons you will get shit later

my ex tenants before the last stupid bangla...were SIA girls....CHAMPION

Yup...agree with you.
    Many years ago, my parents let out their condo to a pilot with an SIA stewardess girlfriend and the unit was vey clean, only thing the ang mo pilot was a bit kwai lan, otherwise they were good tenants who paid rental on time.

Yup.... should include air con servicing as a clause, and they must produce the receipts for inspection.
    hai yo that reminds me i need to call the aircon guy to clean my rented siglap house aircon b4 i handover......i was nice enough to tell my hdb tenant not to waste money he can clean the aircon filter himself and use that foam spray to clean the aircon so as not to incur additional expenses for himself....geez i really nice guy hope i go to HEAVEN....

hai yo that reminds me i need to call the aircon guy to clean my rented siglap house aircon b4 i handover......i was nice enough to tell my hdb tenant not to waste money he can clean the aircon filter himself and use that foam spray to clean the aircon so as not to incur additional expenses for himself....geez i really nice guy hope i go to HEAVEN....
    Now remind me to ask tenant to service A/C.... my agreement is once every quarter whick I thought is a bit excessive.... so I did not insist. Now 1 year liao... better ask him to do it.

the mess my tenant turned my mm into... i wouldnt count on him engaging any ac cleaning much less every quarter according to TA. will just deduct maint exp if he cant show proof that its done.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    the mess my tenant turned my mm into... i wouldnt count on him engaging any ac cleaning much less every quarter according to TA. will just deduct maint exp if he cant show proof that its done.
    That's sad....was it brand new? Deduct without mercy.

yes Brand new for his enjoyment!!!! single young expat ... what to do

Once a while, I will find excuses to visit my tenants....and spot check...

yes I did that and that was when I had the shock of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Once a while, I will find excuses to visit my tenants....and spot check...
    Can give examples of good excuses?

Can say just returned from overseas and bought them something from the country?

My existing tenant who is leaving tomorrow is so nice to service the air-conditioner and engage someone to do a spring cleaning. My new tenant is so happy with the cleaniless of the place. Manage to secure a higher rent of 20%.

tks but what i am relating IS REALITY i am sure there are MORE Horror stories out there its just part and parcel of the BUSINESS thats how i look at it...my friend told me his house rented to china national they were breeding BIRDS for ...CONSUMPTION...when he took back the apt bathroom got birds nests....
    Breeding birds small issue as compared to the murder in yishun not long ago:
    http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...24-312346.html

I have been renting out my sengkang HDB to Software developers from India and so far so good. Very prompt in paying rental. As for PRCs, sorry no. I know them too well....

Quote Originally Posted by CP5211
    Breeding birds small issue as compared to the murder in yishun not long ago:
    http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...24-312346.html

I have been renting out my sengkang HDB to Software developers from India and so far so good. Very prompt in paying rental. As for PRCs, sorry no. I know them too well....
    my sincere advice once in a while do spot check...

How to do spot check? Secretly sneak into the house when nobody around?

no need to spot check lah. take all the photos of your unit, zip it and email a copy to yourself and cc to tenant and his agent as evidence that that was the condition before you rent the unit to your tenant. prepare an inventory list detailing the conditions of fixtures and get your tenant and agent to sign, that should suffice to protect your property n safeguard urself in the event of a dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    How to do spot check? Secretly sneak into the house when nobody around?
    my experience previously my tenant call me a few times on and off...once because of water pressure issue..then aircon leaking...so i managed to have a look but seriously end up also they destroyed my house...NOW undergoing $40K renovation......after 4 years of rental....

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    no need to spot check lah. take all the photos of your unit, zip it and email a copy to yourself and cc to tenant and his agent as evidence that that was the condition before you rent the unit to your tenant. prepare an inventory list detailing the conditions of fixtures and get your tenant and agent to sign, that should suffice to protect your property n safeguard urself in the event of a dispute.
    next time i rent out i am DOING exactly that...now that i spend so much $$$ on reno...