Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Round of Cooling Measures...

Default New Round of Cooling Measures...

is inevitable, says Colin Tan. the new bear.

Cooling measures inevitable
    by Colin Tan
    04:45 AM Aug 03, 2012

With suburban housing prices hitting new highs, markets awash
    with liquidity and banks introducing longer home loan tenors, I
    believe it is inevitable that another round of cooling measures
    will be introduced simply to keep potential price increases in
    check.
    In my commentary in Today last week ("Is the glass half empty
    or half full?" July 27), I said you could choose to interpret the
    findings of the Credit Suisse inaugural survey on home buying
    negatively or positively.
    Looking at more of the numbers, some 47 per cent of those
    polled in the bank's proprietary survey believed that homes here
    will cost more within the next year, with almost three in 10
    predicting price increases of up to 10 per cent.
    Just as many believed that the opposite is true: A significant 35
    per cent of respondents expected prices to fall within the next 12
    months.
    Interestingly, six in 10 predicted another round of cooling
    measures. Assuming all 35 per cent who believed prices would
    correct within the year fall into this category, this leaves another
    25 per cent whom I interpret as those who believed that yet
    another round of cooling measures would be necessary simply
    to keep prices stable.
    This week's release of resale price indices for completed
    apartments by the National University of Singapore's Institute of
    Real Estate Studies supports this last opinion. Although some of
    the media focused on the 1.4 per cent fall in prices of small
    apartments in June compared to those in the previous month,
    the real story for me was the second successive new high for
    apartments located in suburban areas.
    The sub-index for non-central apartments excluding shoeboxes
    had been trending downwards for some months - with
    fluctuations - before bottoming out in February. Since then, it
    has staged a recovery, reaching new highs in May and June. It
    had risen by 1.9 per cent in May and by 0.7 per cent in June, the
    latter number being the latest flash estimate.
    This indicates strong pressure on prices for completed units to
    rise.
    Are the effects of the cooling measures introduced in December
    wearing off? I believe this to be so. This is where I share the
    opinion that it is inevitable that there will be another round of
    cooling measures.
    While cooling measures may be viewed negatively by
    developers, they have helped ensure price stability. A stable
    environment has actually allowed buyers to come out in droves.
    Price stability encourages genuine upgrading. Selling your
    existing property to buy another need not be done hurriedly.
    Prices would not run away. And if they are not falling, it means
    you need not wait for a better deal.
    Speculators are the only group who will lose out in such an
    environment because they see no reason to participate in the
    market. Then again, there is no actual loss, only the loss of an
    opportunity to make more money.
    Finally, as a caveat to all would-be investors, I would like to say
    I cannot see the robust buying continuing indefinitely. It may be
    prolonged by changes in the local market and in the global
    environment, as in our current situation.
    Increasingly, more of the buying rests on low interest rates and
    less on fundamentals. What happens when there is a sharp hike
    in rates? Seven years of feasting may be followed by seven
    years of famine. It is best that we build our defences early, even
    as we play the game or are forced to play the game.

Colin Tan is Head of Research and Consultancy at Chesterton
    Suntec International.

this snake has 2 heads
    Ride at your own risk !!!

say might as well not say....all these commentators, every time say the same thing....i can also write my own property column lor....

This forum was discussing about another round of CM very long time ago.

I didnt know he roti prata also. lost respect liao...

Fence sitting articles always bore me.

if you read his article carefully, he's not even making a point. it's like saying 'prices will go up, but prices will go down....you play the game, or you will be forced to play the game....you can buy, but you also can wait...there is supply, but there is also demand...,prices have stabilized but there will also be a need for more stabilization...'

wah lau eh. seriously? pls la. something more intelligent pls.

willing seller willing buyer..why need cooling measure

Quote Originally Posted by Eastboy
    if you read his article carefully, he's not even making a point. it's like saying 'prices will go up, but prices will go down....you play the game, or you will be forced to play the game....you can buy, but you also can wait...there is supply, but there is also demand...,prices have stabilized but there will also be a need for more stabilization...'

wah lau eh. seriously? pls la. something more intelligent pls.
    The sun will rise from the east but will also set in the west...

I discovered most writers write articles that sit on the fence for investing.
    Either way it is right and they can brag about it later on (taking the paragraph that was right and put into a slide).

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Either way it is right and they can brag about it later on (taking the paragraph that was right and put into a slide).
    in this aspect i actually respect Mr B. more! at least he stays true to his own opinions and doesn't change tack! haha

Nouriel Roubini, Marc Faber, and a couple of other guys aren't fence sitter.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    This forum was discussing about another round of CM very long time ago.
    this forum is like a tape recorder on REPEAT MODE...

in this aspect i actually respect Mr B. more! at least he stays true to his own opinions and doesn't change tack! haha
    he is like the OPPOSITION party...

有讲好像没讲,到不如不讲。in hokien....

"Cooling" tan is wrong to assume that the effect of previous CM is wearing off. Same as the other writer that saying flipping property is possible. Nowaday property speculators are pretty much out of the market. People buying property now is to keep it for long term. If another CM is coming, who they are really targeting?. Must be a true blue singaporean who genuinely trying to own a piece of singapore. That's defeat the purpose of CM to keep the singaporeans in and foreigners out. Now more singaporeans are buying and less for foreigners. Unfortunately many less well off singaporeans now prefer property price to collapse. In my opinion the price distance between HDB and PC must be substantial. Or else people who can ill afford it will be tempted to bite more than they can chew.

Eat and shit at the same place.

Red eye syndrome. see more n more pple buy condo stay condo also want ...

Talk about MISSED THE BOAT EXPERT cum YOUNG KOK cum INEXPERIENCE MR B?
    You mean the one who change from "Now".. to 1-2 months.. and again to 6-mths.. to 1-2 yrs.. lan lan think cannot make it.. better put before 2015.. hopefully his "fast coming down" can make it this time round..

Conviction :- When you say the same thing over and over again until it becomes true.

I liked him .. He gives a balanced view to the forum.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

It means:
    1) why they didn't cool the HDB prices that 90% population need to live in & MND didn't do enough to cool HDB prices? Otherwise how to explain Tiong Bahru HDB flats of say 1100sqft selling at $800+k? that is about $800 psf!
    2) instead of putting full effort into cooling HDB prices, they keep talking about cooling measures for private properties that only affect 10% of the population?
    I am wondering if they think HDB dwellers not important?

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    "Cooling" tan is wrong to assume that the effect of previous CM is wearing off. Same as the other writer that saying flipping property is possible. Nowaday property speculators are pretty much out of the market. People buying property now is to keep it for long term. If another CM is coming, who they are really targeting?. Must be a true blue singaporean who genuinely trying to own a piece of singapore. That's defeat the purpose of CM to keep the singaporeans in and foreigners out. Now more singaporeans are buying and less for foreigners. Unfortunately many less well off singaporeans now prefer property price to collapse. In my opinion the price distance between HDB and PC must be substantial. Or else people who can ill afford it will be tempted to bite more than they can chew.

1 IC can only buy 1 property and 1 address can only register 1 vehicle.

All excess vehicles and properties must be disposed within 6 months or else become govt property with zero compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Nouriel Roubini, Marc Faber, and a couple of other guys aren't fence sitter.
    Roubibi is worse than fence sitter.

"unlike Brnarke, who has to navigate through unchartered waters, he has the luxury of sitting in his cozy office in the university campus, and writing articles to the New York Times, while collecting a very decent pay check every month from the US government"

(I copied some statement meant for another guy)

General Paper taught in A Levels emphasized the importance of sitting on fence.....

In summary, can make a stand but cannot be too bias.... and make some disclaimer so that the article still relevant even if shit happens.

I seldom reply in this forum. He doesn't deserve any respect at all, he just a nonsense selfish rotten to the core shit. He's trying to talk down the market, that's all. Super desperate and calling any reply liar and moron. Forumers knows.

I liked him .. He gives a balanced view to the forum.
    What you meant was "he gives an extreme bearish view... balancing against the other bullish views..

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    What you meant was "he gives an extreme bearish view... balancing against the other bullish views..
    RIGHT... lol..
    Balanced my bull and bear side.

Quote Originally Posted by sgp_condo
    I seldom reply in this forum. He doesn't deserve any respect at all, he just a nonsense selfish rotten to the core shit. He's trying to talk down the market, that's all. Super desperate and calling any reply liar and moron. Forumers knows.
    why i agree that mr b is quite an extremist in giving worst-case scenarios, my point is that at least he has a point of view that he defends till his end of life...you know, that conviction is somewhat inspiring, like Chee Soon Juan or JB Jeyaratnam. at least he's not being afraid of controversial so that people will start evaluating and think critically - whether we agree or disagree. compared to fence-sitter columnists, i feel that they aren't making any point and hence might as well not comment.

it's always a professional thing to give a balanced point of view, but that doesn't mean that one simply waste publishing space rehashing what everyone else is saying or already know. i can say something like "up or down, it's anybody's guess, but the downside risks are much higher than upside risks..." or "CMs is highly unlikely given the current dampened foreigned demand, but who knows, another round is also likely should the government decide to be populist to enable citizens to achieve their aspirations before the next GE...". Hello, all of us can be property commentators lor.

why i agree that mr b is quite an extremist in giving worst-case scenarios, my point is that at least he has a point of view that he defends till his end of life...you know, that conviction is somewhat inspiring, like Chee Soon Juan or JB Jeyaratnam. at least he's not being afraid of controversial so that people will start evaluating and think critically - whether we agree or disagree. compared to fence-sitter columnists, i feel that they aren't making any point and hence might as well not comment.

it's always a professional thing to give a balanced point of view, but that doesn't mean that one simply waste publishing space rehashing what everyone else is saying or already know. i can say something like "up or down, it's anybody's guess, but the downside risks are much higher than upside risks..." or "CMs is highly unlikely given the current dampened foreigned demand, but who knows, another round is also likely should the government decide to be populist to enable citizens to achieve their aspirations before the next GE...". Hello, all of us can be property commentators lor.
    His cautionary statement may imply that the world as a whole has alot of problem. But emotionally charge when proven that he may not be right cause further anxiety.

And hence the strong out burst to alway be right and not look dumb. After all he has facts from the internet .. which is always lace with "insights"

So he continue to cut and paste . Maybe he is moderating the prices with the forum cooling Measure ?

Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    General Paper taught in A Levels emphasized the importance of sitting on fence.....

In summary, can make a stand but cannot be too bias.... and make some disclaimer so that the article still relevant even if shit happens.
    Great! A nation of fence sitters...