Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being a Landlord vs Salaried Job

Default Being a Landlord vs Salaried Job

Which is more stable? Let's assess and review in today's societal context of 2012.

1. Tenancy usually runs 2 years; Salaried Job - people often change jobs in one year or even less!

2. Tenant places 2 months deposit, 2 months notice for termination; Salaried Job - 6 months probation, 2 weeks notice, if retrenched, immediate!

3. Tenant seldom disturbs you; Salaried Job - boss calls you even after office hours! Urgent this urgent that, everything urgent.

4. Tenant if good, takes good care of your asset; Salaried Job - boss may treat you like dog instead of an asset, and pass you over for promotion; your performance still need to be assessed and reviewed.

5. Tenancy rates rise in tandem with the economy; Salaried Job - your pay rise (if any) depends on way more factors than just the economy...

6. Your tenanted asset brings you income throughout the 99 years (LH) or forever (FH) for your loved ones; You - your working life probably max 50 years!

So in summary, perhaps I should stick to being a landlord rather than constantly looking for a full-time salaried job...?

(but some will ask: eh, if don't have job, how to buy house and be a landlord in the first place ah?)

Of course being a landlord is better dude!

It really depends how much nett rental income per month you need. Landlord of fully-paid up properties will be quite comfortable with excess even after deducting monthly expenditure for one's expected lifestyle. I gathered that has to be at least $5-6mil based on a conservative yield of 3% to have a reasonable lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Which is more stable? Let's assess and review in today's societal context of 2012.

1. Tenancy usually runs 2 years; Salaried Job - people often change jobs in one year or even less!

2. Tenant places 2 months deposit, 2 months notice for termination; Salaried Job - 6 months probation, 2 weeks notice, if retrenched, immediate!

3. Tenant seldom disturbs you; Salaried Job - boss calls you even after office hours! Urgent this urgent that, everything urgent.

4. Tenant if good, takes good care of your asset; Salaried Job - boss may treat you like dog instead of an asset, and pass you over for promotion; your performance still need to be assessed and reviewed.

5. Tenancy rates rise in tandem with the economy; Salaried Job - your pay rise (if any) depends on way more factors than just the economy...

6. Your tenanted asset brings you income throughout the 99 years (LH) or forever (FH) for your loved ones; You - your working life probably max 50 years!

So in summary, perhaps I should stick to being a landlord rather than constantly looking for a full-time salaried job...?

(but some will ask: eh, if don't have job, how to buy house and be a landlord in the first place ah?)
    first and foremost, u must have certain asset value to be land load...
    and proven from the past generation that the asset appreciate over the time in Singapore limited land context.

In rental, you need to do your balance sheet annually , minus the maintenance, taxes, interest return, etc what bring to your pocket is the true disposal income...then match those annually income of a salaried income..

I would preferred to be a land lord in any general sense/

My ambition is to be a full time landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    My ambition is to be a full time landlord.
    i think as long as can live off passive income (be it rental or dividend or coupons or royalties etc) will be the best. having to rely on a job under the mercy of your boss and/or economy is never safe...

for me, i aim to build up a low beta defensive portfolio that yields 5-7% p.a. but won't think i'm suited to being a landlord (as it's tax payable and is too complicated for my simple mind).

Best of both worlds...be a condo manager. That is the same as a salaried landlord
    I am rich in debts...

I will choose to be a landlord.
    Better still if can do free lance job as well, for additional income as well as can stay in touch with the workforce.

Being a landlord requires capital startup while salaried worker can enter a job with no cash in his pocket (not going into the debate about how one can get a property with no cash, etc...). If you live off the rental income, you must first ensure that your property is fully paid for otherwise a significant proportion of your rental goes into servicing the mortgage loan for that property and in today's context, that leaves you with practically too little for comfort.

I like my salaried job. I am the BOSS..

Your feet is planted on the ground ...can't build a stable yearly income via castles built on borrowed money. Capital gains perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Being a landlord requires capital startup while salaried worker can enter a job with no cash in his pocket (not going into the debate about how one can get a property with no cash, etc...). If you live off the rental income, you must first ensure that your property is fully paid for otherwise a significant proportion of your rental goes into servicing the mortgage loan for that property and in today's context, that leaves you with practically too little for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    I like my salaried job. I am the BOSS..
    no wonder i cant be the boss.... i'm limfc and not fclim

landlord must put up with tenant nonsense leh... this spoilt that spoilt, everything can also be urgent call landlord at night...

some tenant also wreck the landlord's precious asset and then just MIA (missing-in-action).... 2 months deposit also not enuff to undo the harm...

all things considered though, it's of course always better to be landlord la, coz the tenant helping to pay for the apt/condo mah, so a little 'suffering' is to be expected...

Judging from under-supply of HDB + SPRs restriction of renting out, next 10y will be best to rent out your HDB, yield could be 7-8% with capital appreciation 4% per year

Net return could reach 12% pa
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Thats why I say... even for mortgaged property, stability is no less than the 'stability' of a paid fulltime job in todays economic climate. Or should I say 'stable' full time job no more stable than 'mortgaged property' generating passive income.

HDB yield high yes ... but if FT tap turned off... who will rent sia?

Mr B and gang will rent from you.

Very few FT rent HDB, more like those imported SPRs, EP holders and new SCs ... combine could be 500k, divide by 3 also you have 150k families, how come our HDB sublet only has 6,900? Lots of sublets not registered I think.

With the high inflation of 5% and low mortgage int of 1%, it will make cents to borrow some of, even if u can afford full payment in cash, which then effectively negates the effect that inflation has on one.

@azeo... indeed, there r those who still believe there will be significant price drop n renting at the moment while waiting and craning their necks...

Would u rather be a PIMP or a PROS%ITUTE....

Landlord consider a job?

Well, can always provide value added service like concierge, room service and housekeeping.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

i saw the same post on cna side... wanted to reply to the thread but did not.... bj21 replied to it...

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/sho...erty-is-better.

what i wanted to write was....

this is not a good comparison... landlord vs salaried job....

a better comparison would be:
    - if you already own some business and having some extra fund of $1-2mil... would you expand your biz by employing more people or you put the $$ into property investment ??..
    - which means invest into more workers or invest into properties....

who go n copy n post elsewhere??

who go n copy n post elsewhere??
    Ah teo....

I just wonder the agenda of copy a post from forum A to forum B ... anyway its gd at least it got some attn

Is plagiarism...and lack of substance...

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    i saw the same post on cna side... wanted to reply to the thread but did not.... bj21 replied to it...

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/sho...erty-is-better.

what i wanted to write was....

this is not a good comparison... landlord vs salaried job....

a better comparison would be:
    - if you already own some business and having some extra fund of $1-2mil... would you expand your biz by employing more people or you put the $$ into property investment ??..
    - which means invest into more workers or invest into properties....

Good question. Under normal circumstances, without massive printing by central bank, you would want to put into biz to add value, to produce something to sell. However, when printing is rampant, inflation is high, easy money can be made by investing into non-productive stuff like properties as your debt is simply inflated away.

plagiarism? aiyo... wat for. not like cna forum posts more got freebies to receive...

High inflation, low interest... Best time to be landlord

Buy 2 properties, wait for price to double.... Eventually. Sell one and get the other free!

To retire on property, need to leverage on more than 1 property. At least 1 to keep for rental and the other is sell off to pay the mortgage for the other. who cares about 30yr loan when you've got plan to pay it off.