Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey of unit before purchase

Default Survey of unit before purchase

Is it common practise to hire a contractor to take a look and assess older projects to determine if wiring, plumbing, structure etc is ok before payin an option deposit? Anyone has any contacts to recommend?

If indeed there's issue for eg with the electrical wiring, the responsibility is on the seller to rectify it before selling right?

And if the buyer found out the defects only after purchase, can still claim for repair fees from seller?

Thanks in advance!!

huh?

huh huh..

Depends on the contract, usually the property is sold "as is", meaning the seller is not responsible for anything. If I'm a seller, I'll make sure that's the condition.

One may wonder how come buy cheap tv also got one year warranty, fridge got 3 year warranty, washer got 5 years etc... whereas expensive purchase like property does not come with any. Such is the irony of life.

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Depends on the contract, usually the property is sold "as is", meaning the seller is not responsible for anything. If I'm a seller, I'll make sure that's the condition.
    Thanks for advice bro. Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    One may wonder how come buy cheap tv also got one year warranty, fridge got 3 year warranty, washer got 5 years etc... whereas expensive purchase like property does not come with any. Such is the irony of life.
    Actually I have this question cos the unit I visited this afternoon had one light switch faulty as it will trip the main board circuit. The owner claimed its actually developer problem and developer will fix it. I feel doubtful cos the devt already top more than 3 yrs Liao! So dunno whether can hold her to her words that she will fix the issue via developer before selling to me.

And also thinking I should probably assess it in more details in case there's other skeletons in the closet in terms of defects...

I am not sure if it is common practice but I did that. But even after that, there can still be other things that were not identified as problems (because some problems cant be spotted without dismantling certain fixtures). Get one or 2 potential contractors (whoever you are going to engage to do the renovation) to assess. It's FOC cos they need to see the place before they can give a confirmed quotation.

All issues and problems are too be negotiated - seller may deduct the cost of fixing it from the price, or he fixes it before handing over the keys.

If there are problems after the price is agreed upon, the seller may be nice enough to refund you some money but that's entirely up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincegoh
    Actually I have this question cos the unit I visited this afternoon had one light switch faulty as it will trip the main board circuit. The owner claimed its actually developer problem and developer will fix it. I feel doubtful cos the devt already top more than 3 yrs Liao! So dunno whether can hold her to her words that she will fix the issue via developer before selling to me.

And also thinking I should probably assess it in more details in case there's other skeletons in the closet in terms of defects...
    In this case, since the seller issued a promise to fix, just ensure it is stated in the S&P lor. You dont need to be concerned whether she fix via developer or outside contractor as long it is fixed before you take over. More importantly, state clearly the penal clause if this is not done. Eg lawyer will hold monies until it is fixed

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen
    I am not sure if it is common practice but I did that. But even after that, there can still be other things that were not identified as problems (because some problems cant be spotted without dismantling certain fixtures). Get one or 2 potential contractors (whoever you are going to engage to do the renovation) to assess. It's FOC cos they need to see the place before they can give a confirmed quotation.

All issues and problems are too be negotiated - seller may deduct the cost of fixing it from the price, or he fixes it before handing over the keys.

If there are problems after the price is agreed upon, the seller may be nice enough to refund you some money but that's entirely up to him.
    Thanks for your kind sharing. So in this instance, did u get the contractor to go down before paying the 1% deposit or before u exercise?

Did u manage to put it in contract or black&white regards to the identified defects? Cos if not seller can deny such responsibility right?

Can u kindly pm me the contractors u used previously if they are trustworthy? Am keen to engage their services for the survey plus eventual renovation works. Thanks in advance bro/sis..

In this case, since the seller issued a promise to fix, just ensure it is stated in the S&P lor. You dont need to be concerned whether she fix via developer or outside contractor as long it is fixed before you take over. More importantly, state clearly the penal clause if this is not done. Eg lawyer will hold monies until it is fixed
    Thanks boss. I always assumed that s&p is pretty standard and lawyers seldom will allow additional clause. But good to know that can be done.

I guess I will get her to sign off on her promise to fix the defects on paper before I even pay the 1% deposit to be safe..

Is it common practise to hire a contractor to take a look and assess older projects to determine if wiring, plumbing, structure etc is ok before payin an option deposit? Anyone has any contacts to recommend?

If indeed there's issue for eg with the electrical wiring, the responsibility is on the seller to rectify it before selling right?

And if the buyer found out the defects only after purchase, can still claim for repair fees from seller?

Thanks in advance!!
    If U asked a contractor to asseses . He will tell to tear down the entire content....

U have to do your self assessment

Got... U buy new unit , u have one year defect liability period...10 year water proofing

U buy second hand tv, fridge wher go warranty? Unless is still within....

This is wire shorted ... Can be easily fixed, even conseal...
    Part of buying a resale unit, u have to budget out some money to fix things...
    That suppose to be part of the buying budget...

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    If U asked a contractor to asseses . He will tell to tear down the entire content....

U have to do your self assessment
    Err ok.. But I won't really know how to check electrical wiring, plumbing or waterproofing defects leh. Other superficial defects like chips or scratches or wear and tear I can see but these I accept as part of buying resale.

It's more of the 'internal' things that I'm worried about cos it will really be painful if I moved in Liao then realize need to redo electrical or plumbing or waterproofing. Can cry siah.

This is wire shorted ... Can be easily fixed, even conseal...
    Part of buying a resale unit, u have to budget out some money to fix things...
    That suppose to be part of the buying budget...
    Yes I did have a small budget set aside for Reno and basic repair works. Am just worried that there may be more overhaul or large scale defects I may not be aware of when buying.. Dun wanna be surprised so was thinking maybe if get contractor to assess first then at least I wil have a better gauge of amount to set aside. Anything major I will most likely deduct from my offer price. Lol..

Thumbs up

Good point...!

Err ok.. But I won't really know how to check electrical wiring, plumbing or waterproofing defects leh. Other superficial defects like chips or scratches or wear and tear I can see but these I accept as part of buying resale.

It's more of the 'internal' things that I'm worried about cos it will really be painful if I moved in Liao then realize need to redo electrical or plumbing or waterproofing. Can cry siah.
    Depend on the market climat, some time owner may refuse close up inspection..eg remove manhole hatch to inspect ceiling ,, if they got other viewer/offer..

True that basing on 2 or 3 visual inspections, is hard to determine.. But electrical wiring is hard to inspect, pipe leak still can tell from water patch on the ceiling...

Look for tale sighn. Eg repainted ceiling, walll joint etc... Normally we don paint to fetch resale value but to conseal defect...

Depend on the market climat, some time owner may refuse close up inspection..eg remove manhole hatch to inspect ceiling ,, if they got other viewer/offer..

True that basing on 2 or 3 visual inspections, is hard to determine.. But electrical wiring is hard to inspect, pipe leak still can tell from water patch on the ceiling...

Look for tale sighn. Eg repainted ceiling, walll joint etc... Normally we don paint to fetch resale value but to conseal defect...
    Water patch still ok cause leak from upper ceiling ..so not ur headache..upstair guy has to pay.. But check downstair neighbour..thats what you have to pay for

If so scared you better buy new lah..
    When buy resale be prepared for 50K renovation budget to be safe.. can be anything from water leakage to electric rewiring..

Quote Originally Posted by rockinsg
    If so scared you better buy new lah..
    When buy resale be prepared for 50K renovation budget to be safe.. can be anything from water leakage to electric rewiring..
    buy new has always been in my priority. but din manage to find hence now moving to less than 3 yrs old resale.

i catered for 50k lar. problem is i do not intend to rewire everything upfront u see. $$ is not a problem.. it's the inconvenience that is a huge huge headache.

for other resale i saw actually i dun feel the need for such caution. but the one with the light switch defect seems unusually wierd and dubious (the agent that is) hence alarm bells ringing. funnily the seller and agent refuse to do valuation... my agent had to get the indicative valuation on our side and after informing them of the valuation from 3 banks, they also like ai mai ai mai.. told them we intend to put in offer with a cheque on the same day so need them to get the actual valuation but they still refuse. fishy.

but dun really want to just forgo this cos the unit does fit most of my criteria.

i would suggest you not to take up this unit.

my sixth sense tell me this unit can only give you problem in future...
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

buy new has always been in my priority. but din manage to find hence now moving to less than 3 yrs old resale.

i catered for 50k lar. problem is i do not intend to rewire everything upfront u see. $$ is not a problem.. it's the inconvenience that is a huge huge headache.
    3 years old no need to rewire la. who gives the impression ? Contractor? Tripping means the circuit workings. U need only to identify and check the individual loops will do. Try read the circuit diagramm . It tell u which power pts looped as one group, which breaker is link to heaters , air con etc. in fact u can engage pub , last time not sure now, to do the testing for you when obtain the key or get an electrician ..

But then hor, if catch fire don blame me ...

for other resale i saw actually i dun feel the need for such caution. but the one with the light switch defect seems unusually wierd and dubious (the agent that is) hence alarm bells ringing. funnily the seller and agent refuse to do valuation... my agent had to get the indicative valuation on our side and after informing them of the valuation from 3 banks, they also like ai mai ai mai.. told them we intend to put in offer with a cheque on the same day so need them to get the actual valuation but they still refuse. fishy.

but dun really want to just forgo this cos the unit does fit most of my criteria.
    Seller testing water ..

Quote Originally Posted by rockinsg
    Water patch still ok cause leak from upper ceiling ..so not ur headache..upstair guy has to pay.. But check downstair neighbour..thats what you have to pay for
    If really kana, tat luckily ..lol

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    i would suggest you not to take up this unit.

my sixth sense tell me this unit can only give you problem in future...
    yah. i think forgo better.

decided to get OG instead. yay finally end of my house hunting!!!!!

yah. i think forgo better.

decided to get OG instead. yay finally end of my house hunting!!!!!
    congrat!!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

I always thought once the owner sells to the buyer, whatever happens to the house is the new owner's problem , where got the clause "as it is"?
    Whatever guarantee is from the developer and if it is over, then the new owner has to see to it.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I always thought once the owner sells to the buyer, whatever happens to the house is the new owner's problem , where got the clause "as it is"?
    Whatever guarantee is from the developer and if it is over, then the new owner has to see to it.
    not if the owner promises to fix it before it is sold. verbal contract is legally standing in court (especially with 3rd party as witness).