Thread: Will Singapore become the next Cape Town?

Default Will Singapore become the next Cape Town?

http://www.grida.no/graphicslib/deta...t-passage_f951

With Northern Sea Route (NSR) becoming more and more feasible in the next 20 years, ships will start to bypass Singapore.

The world temperature will also increase by 5 degrees.

Will Singapore become the next Cape Town?

Thanks,
    Richard

5deg?? Aircon business huattttt ahhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by richwang

With Northern Sea Route (NSR) becoming more and more feasible in the next 20 years, ships will start to bypass Singapore.

Thanks,
    Richard
    In 20 years' time, India will be the next poster child for economic growth, so the trade from the far east LL has to pass through Singapore.

Actually 20 years time is quite long way ahead.
    I can't really be bothered.
    Just enjoy the present.
    Let the government figure out what to do since they are paid for it.

no one knows..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Canal

this is the real worry - sg+my can say sayonara to port biz

but the gov are not worried cos till today......no REAL concrete news. only on and off got some update bla bla bla like the last i read - Japan is sponsoring the canal project.

Quote Originally Posted by House
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Canal

this is the real worry - sg+my can say sayonara to port biz

but the gov are not worried cos till today......no REAL concrete news. only on and off got some update bla bla bla like the last i read - Japan is sponsoring the canal project.
    Port operation is not so simple.... You can create a canal, but whether the port is efficient, cost effective, good connectivity is another matter... You think someasy to dislodge Singapore ah? We took 30 years to become a top notch port... The Thais suka suka can just overtake us ah?

Quote Originally Posted by CCR
    Port operation is not so simple.... You can create a canal, but whether the port is efficient, cost effective, good connectivity is another matter... You think someasy to dislodge Singapore ah? We took 30 years to become a top notch port... The Thais suka suka can just overtake us ah?
    they not doing port biz, they are "cutting" a canal ala suez canal across the southern thailand....so that those ships from Indian ocean can bypass sg go straight to south china sea and vice versa.

But the ships still hav eti stop somewhere right

Thanks,
    Richard
    I don't think so, I think they are planning the next port beside it.

S'pore to spend $2b on port expansion
    When completed by 2013, it will increase annual capacity by over 50 per cent. -ST

Fri, Dec 21, 2007
    AsiaOne
    SINGAPORE is spending $2 billion to expand its port, a move that will increase annual capacity by more than 50 per cent.
    The project, in anticipation of continued growth in global sea trade, will involve the building of 16 berths in Pasir Panjang.
    These will have an annual handling capacity of 14 million standard containers.
    Singapore currently has 49 berths serving container ships which can handle up to 26.1 million twenty-foot-equivalent units (TEUs).
    Work on the expansion began in October and is expected to be completed by 2013.
    The Government has also taken extra steps to minimise the ecological impact of the project.
    It has spent more than $20 million engaging experts to conduct studies on how the port expansion may affect corals around Labrador Park and has even moved some that would have been hit by the project.
    'PSA Singapore Terminals continues to experience strong growth in its container volumes and we expect to handle 27 million TEUs this year,' said a Port of Singapore Authority spokesman.
    'We have already fast-tracked our development of Pasir Panjang Terminal Phase 2. The development of Phases 3 and 4 is therefore timely.'
    Last edited by Arcachon; 17-06-12 at 01:15.

Singapore has faced intense competition from ports in Malaysia, specifically the port of Tanjung Pelepas in Johor (PTP). In August 2000, Maersk announced that it would move transshipment operations from Singapore to Tanjung Pelepas; the „biggest single move in the history of the port industry in Southeast Asia.‟18 Maersk accounted for almost 10 per cent of Singapore‟s container volume. Soon after, in 2002, Evergreen Marine Corporation announced plans to move its transshipment operations because of lower container handling charges in the PTP (it was estimated that costs were 30 to 40 per cent lower). The PTP is a short diversion from the main Malacca route and with its focus on transshipment services may continue to be a principal competitor of Singapore.19

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/slw/HKCMT/Do..._%28v12%29.pdf

Default Opening of Arctic Sea Routes: Turning Threat into Opportunity

http://www.hpu.edu/CHSS/History/Pape...cSeaRoutes.pdf

Opportunities for Port Development
    Finally, with the opening of the Northern Sea Route, there would be an increasing need for ports to service ships that ply the route as the existing ports have a rather rudimentary infrastructure. PSA International is one of the leading global port groups with investments in 28 port projects in 16 countries across Asia, Europe and America. With its extensive experience in port development, PSA International is well placed to develop ports along the Northern Sea Route in cooperation with partners in Russia.
    While the opening up of the Arctic sea routes, in particular the Northern Sea Route, could have an adverse impact on Singapore as a hub port, it also presents opportunities in new shipbuilding, research and development into ship technology, as well as in port development. Firms operating in these areas should quickly capitalise on the new opportunities that arise as the Arctic routes open earlier than expected due to the unexpected and accelerated rates of global warming.

Huat AH..........

West coast continues to huat

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    Singapore has faced intense competition from ports in Malaysia, specifically the port of Tanjung Pelepas in Johor (PTP). In August 2000, Maersk announced that it would move transshipment operations from Singapore to Tanjung Pelepas; the „biggest single move in the history of the port industry in Southeast Asia.‟18 Maersk accounted for almost 10 per cent of Singapore‟s container volume. Soon after, in 2002, Evergreen Marine Corporation announced plans to move its transshipment operations because of lower container handling charges in the PTP (it was estimated that costs were 30 to 40 per cent lower). The PTP is a short diversion from the main Malacca route and with its focus on transshipment services may continue to be a principal competitor of Singapore.19

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/slw/HKCMT/Do..._%28v12%29.pdf
    Heads rolled in PSA because this

Default You need a 3D Globe

The current 2D maps are misleading when we are discussing North Pole:
    On those maps, from Point A on North Pole to Point B on North Pole could give you the wrong impression that the distance is 20,000 km apart.
    In reality, Point A to Point B on North Pole could be within walking distance.

I've dig out my dusted 3D Globe and looked from the top (a new angle to look at the world), and shocked by how close Europe and Japan/China could be.
    There is no need to go a big round via Singapore.

Thanks,
    Richard

very chim
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

The longest dynasty in China was Zhou which is about 700y ...shortest is Yuan Dynasty about 90y only

With globalization and fast information flow ... if Singapore can survive 100y is miracle already
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Default New World Map

This is the first time I see such World map - North Pole is in the center.
    You can see from Amsterdam to Alaska to Japan/China is so close.
    In this map, Singapore is marginalized.
    New York, London and Tokyo are still good.
    Americans are damn smart to buy Alaska.
    Maybe Singapore government should buy the opposite of Alaska (belongs to Russia).

Thanks,
    Richard

Impermanence is the central concept of Buddhism, humans can only do so much to slow down the trend of destruction, ironically it could be that the faster you grow, the faster you die

国家治还乱
    器界成复毁
    世间诸可乐
    无事可依怙
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Default change your world view - maps with the north pole as the center

http://1x57.com/2012/03/09/change-yo...as-the-center/

I am trying to find a English version of World map with North Pole as the center.
    It is so sad that I cannot even see Singapore in the map any more.

Anyone has a better map?

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    The longest dynasty in China was Zhou which is about 700y ...shortest is Yuan Dynasty about 90y only

With globalization and fast information flow ... if Singapore can survive 100y is miracle already
    Not sure if there is a successor to the Lee dynasty. From the looks of it, it might end at the next election with someone else taking over at the top, at least from the surface.

I am trying to find a English version of World map with North Pole as the center.
    It is so sad that I cannot even see Singapore in the map any more.

Anyone has a better map?

Thanks,
    Richard

Richard, you may like these:

http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/

http://g-to-g.com/?version=eng&modul...pressed&page=9

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Not sure if there is a successor to the Lee dynasty. From the looks of it, it might end at the next election with someone else taking over at the top, at least from the surface.
    With so much bootlickers and ostrich mentality dreamers around, the dynasty will continue to rule.

By the time the majority wakes up....it's already too late.

Default Tanjong Pagar Port

Thanks for the nice historical maps.

Maybe the plan to move Tanjong Pagar Port to Turas is unnecessary.
    We can simply shut it down
    if Europe <--> Japan/China ships will no longer pass Singapore.

Should I buy FH ... or 99LH is long enough.

Thanks,
    Richard

Don't worry lah, many singaporeans think workers party, under MR Low, can help Singapore. WP listens to the citizens and say they gg to help the poor, so they mus have a very concrete plan. Just vote WP in and Singapore will be save.

Probably they have a plan to make all Singaporeans poor so that effectively there will be no "poor" Singaporeans around.

Quote Originally Posted by House
    With so much bootlickers and ostrich mentality dreamers around, the dynasty will continue to rule.

By the time the majority wakes up....it's already too late.
    Yup quickly vote WP in and so there will be no more poor Singaporeans around WP, WP, WP!

Both camps have equal shares of bootlickers and dynasty building la, hougang won probably becos of the low dynasty not becos of who is actually running.
    Last edited by Allthepies; 17-06-12 at 13:55.

Default Shrinking Pie

I am more interested in Science and Economics,
    less interested in Politics.

If what we see is a shrinking pie, chopping more for the bottom 20% will become even harder.

I respect our top 0.00003% were among the best of world leaders,
    but the world has changed.

Maybe it is time for every citizen to get involved,
    and contribute our part: thoughts, actions, feedback and solutions.

Thanks,
    Richard

If what we see is a shrinking pie, chopping more for the bottom 20% will become even harder.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Yup agree with u Richard. We face a very challenging environment. Singaporeans must learn to unite and brainstorm and contribute positively or we may all perish together starting from the low income citizens.

Thanks,
    Richard
    So do we get $1 mil dollar salary every year also?

Default 视频:美军LCS部署新加坡后2天内即可进入南海