Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Malaysia properties

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    An old news:

Woodlands slasher faces three additional charges of attempted murder
    Posted: 29 October 2010 2106 hrs

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...090229/1/.html

SINGAPORE: A National Serviceman accused of slashing a woman to death in Woodlands last month, now faces three additional charges of attempted murder.

He allegedly slashed and injured three other women between January and May this year.

Soh Wee Kian looked dazed when the additional charges were read out to him in court on Friday.

In September, he was charged with the murder of 32-year-old clerk Hoe Hong Lin at a basketball court at Woodlands Drive 50.

He will be remanded for a psychiatric evaluation at the Changi Prison Complex Medical Centre and will be back in court on November 19. - CNA/fa
    Just tested the pyschology of the forummers here. Nobody commented on this news. We only like to hear nice things.

Just tested the pyschology of the forummers here. Nobody commented on this news. We only like to hear nice things.
    I did read ur post. but I couldnt see the link with the thread topic. woodlands is close to jb. but the perpetrator is local no? unless u saying no need to step into jb orady kena on the way...

Carjacking suspects 'were on drugs' [O'rly? ]
    Johor police say gang which abducted S'pore family may be linked to 14 other crimes
    Published on Jul 8, 2012
    http://www.straitstimes.com/News/Hom...ry_819993.html

By Jalelah Abu Baker

The suspects believed to have hijacked a Singapore family's car in Johor could have been high on the drug methamphetamine at the time of the carjacking, Johor police said yesterday.

At a press conference called at the Johor police headquarters in Johor Baru for reporters from Malaysia and Singapore, police chief Mohd Mokhtar Mohd Shariff said the trio were nabbed in a raid on Wednesday. Another two suspects linked to the July 1 carjacking are at large. All five are Malaysians, aged 30 to 47.

He said the gang is believed to have been behind 14 other crimes in Johor, including vehicle theft, robbery and drug offences.

The seven-hour raid on three homes in Felda Ulu Tebrau, a village in Ulu Tiram, yielded several items that were put on display yesterday. These included a pump gun with three bullets, two pistols, credit cards, identification cards, driving licences and cellphones.

Among those present yesterday was the victim of the July 1 carjacking, businesswoman Rita Zahara, accompanied by her family.

The case has been classified as one of abduction and extortion, instead of kidnap, because no ransom was demanded or paid.

Ms Zahara's car, a white Nissan Sunny, has been recovered; yesterday, she also reclaimed a cellphone and laptop. Speaking to reporters, the 37-year-old mother of two said: 'I am appreciative of the hard work of the Malaysia police. They did it very quickly, in just three days.'

Referring to information from the police that the suspects may have been on drugs, she said they sounded 'normal' when they spoke on the phone with her after making off with her family and car.

She said she was driving her family back to Singapore at about 1am when she stopped near Jalan Tun Abdul Razak to buy fruit from a roadside stall while her children, sister and maid waited in the car.

She returned to find the car and its occupants gone, but was reunited with them three hours later, after many tense phone conversations with the suspects. The occupants of the car were unharmed.

Another Singaporean victim of Johor crime present yesterday was Mr Affandi Mahat, 50, who was in Jalan Tebrau at about 2am on Monday when two men got into his

Hyundai Sonata and ordered him at gunpoint to drive.

Mr Affandi, a planner in the aviation industry, was then in a brightly lit petrol kiosk just across the road from the police headquarters.

He said: 'They pointed the gun at my waist and a knife at my neck. After about 200m, they took over the driving.'

He said they tied his hands with cable ties and left him - minus his car - by at a roadside near Kota Tinggi, nearly 140km away.

He contacted the police by walking to a restaurant nearby.

His car has also been recovered, but he has lost his cellphone, camera equipment and credit cards.

Mr Mokhtar had harsh words to describe the suspects: 'These retarded and moronic criminals do not target any particular nationality.

'They are parasites of society. They will do whatever they want to perpetrate their stupid acts. In this case, they are drug addicts.'

His department also released figures on the number of crimes against Singaporeans: There were 413 in 2009, 320 in 2010, and 400 last year; in the first six months of this year, there were 216 cases.

He noted, however, that of the two million visits made by Singapore residents to Johor every month, less than 1 per cent were the victims of criminal acts.

Larkin, where Ms Zahara's car was taken, is now more heavily patrolled, he said.

He said of her case: 'There was a lot of publicity. This will affect the investment climate, the confidence of Singaporeans coming here. We don't want all this.'

Shin Min Daily News yesterday reported another incident on Thursday night in which Singaporean part-time tutor David Lim, 24, was robbed at gunpoint in Johor Baru. It happened at 10.45pm when he met three men who appeared to be interested in buying the laptop he was selling online.

[email protected]

This lady is more daring than most men (maybe boys) here I still find it hard to accept Malaysia captured Mas Salamat when our ex-Minister was still scratching his head and wondered either he was in Singapore or he was not.

I'll visit Malaysia again, says Singaporean woman in car hijack

Published on Jul 8, 2012
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_820061.html

JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Former Singaporean television journalist Rita Zahara will visit Malaysia again despite being involved in a recent extortion and robbery case here.

'This bad experience won't deter me from visiting Johor again. Crime happens anywhere and it is unfair to label Johor and Malaysia as a crime haven. My family and I are not scared to visit again,' she said during a press conference by the police to announce the arrest of three men in connection to the case here on Saturday.

'I applaud the Malaysian police for their professionalism and how they acted swiftly to nab the suspects within three days,' she said.

It was reported that Ms Rita, 37, had stopped her Nissan Sunny to buy some fruits in Jalan Susur Larkin at 12.45am on July 1. When she returned, the vehicle with her 19-year-old sister, two children aged 11 and six as well as her maid were missing.

When Rita called her sister's mobile phone, the suspect answered and allegedly asked for money in return for her family. The suspect later released the group at a residential area in Ulu Tiram and drove away with the car and valuables inside worth RM200,000 (S$80,175).

Ms Rita said her two young children were, however, still traumatised by the incident.

Earlier, state police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Mohd Shariff said besides recovering some of Rita's stolen items, police seized a pump gun with three live bullets, two pistols and a fake police emblem.

'The men were nabbed during raids at three separate houses in Felda Ulu Tebrau between 5am and noon on Wednesday,' he said.

Along with some of Ms Rita's stolen items, police also recovered two cars a Hyundai Optima and a Proton Perdana which were reported stolen on July 2 and June 25 in Jalan Tebrau and Taman Austin Perdana.

The three men have been remanded until July 10.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Ha ha ha! Malaysia Police so good and efficient!
    But then why they still cannot crack many of the crimes that already happened and the perpetrators are still at large? You mean they purposely didn't want to catch these perpetrators? Are they related or shielding these perpetrators? I pity these people dying without even knowing why they die and dying so long without even "seeing" (from hell) their killers being brought to justice so that they can be reborned (as heard people died from murder will go to hell until perpetrators are brought to justice and then they can reborn?)

This lady is more daring than most men (maybe boys) here I still find it hard to accept Malaysia captured Mas Salamat when our ex-Minister was still scratching his head and wondered either he was in Singapore or he was not.

I'll visit Malaysia again, says Singaporean woman in car hijack

Published on Jul 8, 2012
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_820061.html

JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Former Singaporean television journalist Rita Zahara will visit Malaysia again despite being involved in a recent extortion and robbery case here.

'This bad experience won't deter me from visiting Johor again. Crime happens anywhere and it is unfair to label Johor and Malaysia as a crime haven. My family and I are not scared to visit again,' she said during a press conference by the police to announce the arrest of three men in connection to the case here on Saturday.

'I applaud the Malaysian police for their professionalism and how they acted swiftly to nab the suspects within three days,' she said.

It was reported that Ms Rita, 37, had stopped her Nissan Sunny to buy some fruits in Jalan Susur Larkin at 12.45am on July 1. When she returned, the vehicle with her 19-year-old sister, two children aged 11 and six as well as her maid were missing.

When Rita called her sister's mobile phone, the suspect answered and allegedly asked for money in return for her family. The suspect later released the group at a residential area in Ulu Tiram and drove away with the car and valuables inside worth RM200,000 (S$80,175).

Ms Rita said her two young children were, however, still traumatised by the incident.

Earlier, state police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Mohd Shariff said besides recovering some of Rita's stolen items, police seized a pump gun with three live bullets, two pistols and a fake police emblem.

'The men were nabbed during raids at three separate houses in Felda Ulu Tebrau between 5am and noon on Wednesday,' he said.

Along with some of Ms Rita's stolen items, police also recovered two cars a Hyundai Optima and a Proton Perdana which were reported stolen on July 2 and June 25 in Jalan Tebrau and Taman Austin Perdana.

The three men have been remanded until July 10.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Ha ha ha! Malaysia Police so good and efficient!
    But then why they still cannot crack many of the crimes that already happened and the perpetrators are still at large? You mean they purposely didn't want to catch these perpetrators? Are they related or shielding these perpetrators? I pity these people dying without even knowing why they die and dying so long without even "seeing" (from hell) their killers being brought to justice so that they can be reborned (as heard people died from murder will go to hell until perpetrators are brought to justice and then they can reborn?)
    Maybe pay is not high enough to motivate them to put in extra effort to catch the criminals. Perhaps only those high profile ones that have potential for promotion or bonus after cracking the case. Catching speeding S-plate drivers may be more lucrative. But you have to admit that they are very fast in solving this case. Our police can't even catching a limping Mas Salamat.

I am not concerned about MAS Salamat since he still has not actually commit a physical crime.
    I am only concern about the inability of the Malaysia police to solve any crime (regardless of whether it is unwillingness or not) that is not high profile (since 99% of all crimes in Malaysia will fall into this category) & no justice brought to all those people who got robbed, kidnapped, slash, shot, killed, left paralyzed by these crooks through physical crimes.

Maybe pay is not high enough to motivate them to put in extra effort to catch the criminals. Perhaps only those high profile ones that have potential for promotion or bonus after cracking the case. Catching speeding S-plate drivers may be more lucrative. But you have to admit that they are very fast in solving this case. Our police can't even catching a limping Mas Salamat.

In malaysia and countiries around the region, there is no renewal of leadership in the police/defence force to inject new ideas. The generals and supretendent with big stomach budlging are still sitting at the top shiok shiok. All become contented and lazy. With corruption, it makes it worse.

Default Temasek Holdings eyes stake in $1.6b Johor project

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_821046.html

Land reclamation ...... if you cannot beat them, join them ....

Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_821046.html

Land reclamation ...... if you cannot beat them, join them ....
    Pls tell me those are not HDB blocks...

Just sharing not on crimes but on others:

1. On lease: Medini Iskandar has a lot of 99 years leasehold properties - certainly not the place to look for if you intend to hold for long term.

2. Vacant Possession (TOP) requires an accompanying Certificate of Completion and Compliance (CCC) - it does not explicitly state quality must be achieved to certain standard like BCA's CONQUAS. Hence quality depends very much on the whims and fancies of the developers i.e. you get a wall as in the SPA (Sales & Purchase Agreement) but CCC does not spell out the wall must be straight/plastered properly as long as it does not pose safety and health issue and it is structurally sound. Some developers are handing keys over without CCC and this can be hazardous to owners.

http://www.rehdainstitute.com/resear...pment/ccc.html

I'm still learning. Good to have more views from the experts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by felicia_sg
    I am not concerned about MAS Salamat since he still has not actually commit a physical crime.
    I am only concern about the inability of the Malaysia police to solve any crime (regardless of whether it is unwillingness or not) that is not high profile (since 99% of all crimes in Malaysia will fall into this category) & no justice brought to all those people who got robbed, kidnapped, slash, shot, killed, left paralyzed by these crooks through physical crimes.
    Although Mas Selamat has not personally commit any crimes, what he has in mind, if carried out, will be far more destructive than what a lone criminal can do. The effect is far more devastating. No?

My late uncle (mum's younger brother), who was retarded and living alone in Penang, was brutally robbed and murdered in Penang in the late 70s. He was in his 30s or 40s, I think. Up till today, his murders were never caught. My mum has since passed away and on her death bed, she was filled with sorrow that justice had not been done for her brother.

My late uncle was earning a miserable living as a fishmonger's assistant. He slept and worked in the fishmonger's stall in the market. His murderers took whatever little money that he had in his pocket, killed him and dumped his body in a well. I can still remember the day my mum received the news in Singapore. My eldest sister had to accompany my mum to Penang to settle the funeral. I was only in primary school then.

Just returned from a short trip to Kukup..
    Over there, had a chat with some of the M'sian Chinese frens about my interest in buying one house in msia at 2nd link..
    All told me not to buy for stay as the crime rate at Johor, even up to today.. Still very high..

Quote Originally Posted by Beebot
    My late uncle (mum's younger brother), who was retarded and living alone in Penang, was brutally robbed and murdered in Penang in the late 70s. He was in his 30s or 40s, I think. Up till today, his murders were never caught. My mum has since passed away and on her death bed, she was filled with sorrow that justice had not been done for her brother.

My late uncle was earning a miserable living as a fishmonger's assistant. He slept and worked in the fishmonger's stall in the market. His murderers took whatever little money that he had in his pocket, killed him and dumped his body in a well. I can still remember the day my mum received the news in Singapore. My eldest sister had to accompany my mum to Penang to settle the funeral. I was only in primary school then.
    Sorry to hear abt tt. Let's hope things get better.

Is Prince Andrew and Princess Kate going to iskandar to open the malbosough school?
    Sorry to hear abt tt. Let's hope things get better.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Is Prince Andrew and Princess Kate going to iskandar to open the malbosough school?
    Not sure real or not: http://www.princess-diana-remembered...-nusajaya.html

NU (UK) is also there. Most likely to lend support to these major overseas investments.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebot

Sorry to hear that too. My condolences.

This incident happened in 70s. I believe the situation is better now in Penang. Today, Penang has one of the lowest crime rate among the malaysian states and is also one of the well-managed and prosperous state in Malaysia. That is why properties there are so expensive compared to that in other states, with exception of KL

beebot, am sure your mum is happily reunited with your uncle in a joyous place. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    beebot, am sure your mum is happily reunited with your uncle in a joyous place. :-)
    you sure about that? those who died a violent death usually linger on. neither here nor there.

My good friend who boasted about his JB property just got robbed worth SG $200,000 which includes cash, valuables and cars.

Good luck for those who thinks Malaysia is a safe place LOL

Yup, please buy with eyes wide open

Quote Originally Posted by oda
    My good friend who boasted about his JB property just got robbed worth SG $200,000 which includes cash, valuables and cars.

Good luck for those who thinks Malaysia is a safe place LOL
    i assume your friend is living in JB? If not, why on earth would he keep $200k worth of valuables there????!!!!!

As a Malaysian, I am not so tempted to buy the property in JB for the time being for the following reasons:

1. High interest rate which will be higher in future. Has viewed some shop houses and realised that the rental is not even enough to cover the interest. In Iskandar area, the shop houses were cost around 700K 4 years ago but now cost around 2 mil with a poor location (mean not located in a location where people can easily notice). The rental of such property is only 7K.

2. The JB economic is simply too reliant on Singaporeans or those Malaysian who work in Singapore. The internal demand is not there. When the economic crash. JB will get hit badly which we have experienced it during SARS.

3. For residential, to be frank, there are not many expat in JB. All Japanese and other foreigners only stay at specific areas. As such, property with a price of 800K, I doubt there is anyone will pay good rental for it. And you are competing with thousand of other investors who also want to rent out.

4. Malaysia election is coming. Better to wait till the result is out although the chance of change in government is slim. But, if it happens, thing can turn negative.

Despite the above reasons, I really don't think crime rate is a big issue. Please bear in mind that you guys always compare it to Singapore (which is the safest country in the world). Also, the cases are always get highlighted in the social media. So, even just 1 or 2 cases, people will feel that the place is not safe. Just imagine that there are more opportunities in developing country. If JB is as safe as Singapore, the prices will be at par as those properties in Singapore. Risk vs reward....

However, if you really plan for retirement in JB, you may considered to buy in JB as you wont get cheap property in good location in future given the effect of global inflation. But please buy with eye open. I do have friend get their finger burn but some of them make million of dollar from the property. If you brought JB properties 4 years ago, you are definitely laughing to the bank now.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents view which might not be right. Good luck and selamat hari raya....

Quote Originally Posted by kskong2000
    As a Malaysian, I am not so tempted to buy the property in JB for the time being for the following reasons:

1. High interest rate which will be higher in future. Has viewed some shop houses and realised that the rental is not even enough to cover the interest. In Iskandar area, the shop houses were cost around 700K 4 years ago but now cost around 2 mil with a poor location (mean not located in a location where people can easily notice). The rental of such property is only 7K.

2. The JB economic is simply too reliant on Singaporeans or those Malaysian who work in Singapore. The internal demand is not there. When the economic crash. JB will get hit badly which we have experienced it during SARS.

3. For residential, to be frank, there are not many expat in JB. All Japanese and other foreigners only stay at specific areas. As such, property with a price of 800K, I doubt there is anyone will pay good rental for it. And you are competing with thousand of other investors who also want to rent out.

4. Malaysia election is coming. Better to wait till the result is out although the chance of change in government is slim. But, if it happens, thing can turn negative.

Despite the above reasons, I really don't think crime rate is a big issue. Please bear in mind that you guys always compare it to Singapore (which is the safest country in the world). Also, the cases are always get highlighted in the social media. So, even just 1 or 2 cases, people will feel that the place is not safe. Just imagine that there are more opportunities in developing country. If JB is as safe as Singapore, the prices will be at par as those properties in Singapore. Risk vs reward....

However, if you really plan for retirement in JB, you may considered to buy in JB as you wont get cheap property in good location in future given the effect of global inflation. But please buy with eye open. I do have friend get their finger burn but some of them make million of dollar from the property. If you brought JB properties 4 years ago, you are definitely laughing to the bank now.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents view which might not be right. Good luck and selamat hari raya....
    My JB property has already appreciated almost $100k MYR since I bought 2 months ago (developer raised the price)

Quote Originally Posted by kskong2000
    I suppose you are quite used to the crime there and know how to take precaution.
    I suppose the burglars target the houses which are vacant?
    I have relatives in KL who either got their houses burglared or robbed at knife point in their own houses despite the development having security.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I suppose you are quite used to the crime there and know how to take precaution.
    I have relatives in KL who either got their houses burglared or robbed at knife point in their own houses despite the development having security.
    Aiyo, so terrible leh.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Pls be informed that recently there were several burglary cases of landed properties e.g. Toh Yi Drive, Li Hwan Drive etc

Pls be informed that recently there were several burglary cases of landed properties e.g. Toh Yi Drive, Li Hwan Drive etc
    This is a living proof of the slogan by the national crime prevention council that Low crime does not mean No crime.

A few years ago, my friend said her house (near Thomson Plaza) got burgled.
    She did not have expensive things in her house.
    She just lost a few casio/ seiko watches and a kettle and a few dollars.

How to decrease the risk of burglary?

@hyenergix - do you know if these houses had alarm system or dogs?