Thread: Housing crunch easing, says Khaw

Default Housing crunch easing, says Khaw

http://www.straitstimes.com/News/Hom...ry_806524.html

Housing crunch easing, says Khaw

But we're not out of the woods yet, says National Development Minister

Published on Jun 3, 2012

By Jessica Cheam, Political Correspondent

The Government hopes to ease home prices in a 'gradual manner' even as it guards against policy changes that lead to major price corrections, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said last week.

After a year as housing minister, Mr Khaw believes recent policy moves to ease the public housing crunch are working but 'we are not out of the woods yet', he said in an exclusive interview with The Sunday Times.

In the year since housing emerged as one of the hottest issues in the general election in May last year, queues for new HDB flats have shortened and prices of new flats stabilised.

New HDB figures show an 85 per cent success rate for first-time home buyers in the November 2011 launch of new flats - up from 45 per cent in May last year.

Some 5,800 couples became eligible to buy new flats after the monthly income ceiling - unchanged for 17 years - was raised from $8,000 to $10,000 last August.

These measures have helped ease worries among young couples buying their first home.

To prevent demand running ahead of supply again, the HDB is thinking of holding an inventory of unsold flats, Mr Khaw revealed. 'Some stock of unsold flats is a good thing to have. It will cost us money but it's a cost that we may need to bear,' he said. A decision will be made when the backlog is cleared.

Panic among home buyers in recent years - when property prices hit historic highs - was 'totally understandable'. But he gave this assurance: 'Having gone through many (property) cycles, I can only advise and remind that things don't go in a straight line.'

There is now more certainty of supply, with HDB's launch of a record 50,000 build-to-order (BTO) flats in two years.

Mr Khaw said: 'Over time, hopefully we can ease (prices) down. This depends on interest rates and the global economy.'

The Government's job is to manage this transition gradually and it must not cause major corrections in the market as this would be 'very painful' for home owners.

Mr Khaw also points to 'signs of stabilisation' in home prices. The pace of growth in resale flat prices has moderated - it inched up 0.6 per cent in the first quarter of this year, the slowest since 2009. Cash premiums paid for resale flats, known as cash over valuation (COV), have started to ease.

Even private home prices in the central region are moderating, with the exception of mass market 'shoebox' units of 500 sq ft or less. That is a sector Mr Khaw is watching closely.

'Overall, we are not yet out of the woods. But I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel,' he said.

Mr Nicholas Mak, SLP International research head, noted that based on an analysis of BTO flat prices in five HDB estates, prices of new flats in the majority of new projects have risen marginally by 1 per cent or 2 per cent since the May 2011 General Election.

In contrast, the price movement of BTO flats corresponded more closely with the movement of resale HDB flat prices, which rose more than 10 per cent in the year before the general election.

As for COVs, ERA Realty's Mr Eugene Lim said ERA's transactions showed average COVs eased from a high of $38,000 in August last year to about $27,000 last month.

PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail said the risk of oversupply in the near future is still low as pent-up demand means new units are being absorbed.

'More broadly, the stabilisation of the property market will take at least a couple of years. It's not going to be something you can achieve overnight,' he said.

[email protected]

is it game over for investor?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    If you believe a politician word than don't buy loh, else go out and buy. Notice what he say, easing....... not over yet.

He start in June 2011, it take 3 to 4 years to build. By the end of June 2012, he would have build 25,000 units. The units start to appear in June 2014 assuming it take 3 years to build. MOP 5 years, the unit start to be in the market in June 2019. He is right easing...........

http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/20...n-expectation/

My first BTO launch will close in a few hours’ time. The application rates are good and within expectation.
    We offered 4,000 flats in four towns. As at this afternoon, more than 13,000 have applied, giving an application rate of over three times. This is similar to the application rate for the April BTO launch, and lower than the application rates of five times for the February launch and seven times for the March launch.
    The application rate for projects in Tampines, a mature estate, is the highest, at about four and a half times. If we exclude Tampines, the overall application rate is about two and a half times.
    We will now get the applicants queued up for flat selection. At the same time, we will try to get these flats completed as soon as possible.
    With this launch, we have offered about 12,000 units this year, leaving another 13,000 units to be launched in the next seven months. With monthly launch, this will mean an average launch size of about 1,800 units, smaller than the recent launch of 4,000 units. For the June BTO currently being prepared, we are looking to launch about 2,100 flats in Bukit Panjang and Sengkang.
    Meanwhile, we have some 1,000 balance units accumulated from earlier sale exercises. I have asked HDB to look into releasing these under the Sale of Balance Flats (SBF) exercise later this year, to increase the number of flats we offer. With these, we are looking at a total supply of 26,000 units by year-end.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    his easing refers to hdb
    can invest in hdb meh?

Master of Talking Bird
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Master of Talking Bird
    This breed is called Macaw... It goes cawww khawww cawwww...

Incidentally, it looks like the one belong to ZGY who scold f you to the policeman

The moral of the story it is a tight balancing act for any minister ... too much at stakes .. market go left he quickly go right, market go right he quickly go left

No more CM period

Very good to become minister and get paid millions ... just calibrated reactive measures, no proactive measures .... he keeps saying depends on interest rate and macro ... I also can say that ... I will ask Mr Minister, what if US fed rate stays at zero till 2020, what are u going to do ...
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Concerned Citizen: Mr Khaw, why housing so expensive now?

Khaw: Ask Tharman.

Citizen: Mr Tharman, any explanation?

Tharman: Ask Shanmugam.

Citizen: ?? ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    Concerned Citizen: Mr Khaw, why housing so expensive now?

Khaw: Ask Tharman.

Citizen: Mr Tharman, any explanation?

Tharman: Ask Shanmugam.

Citizen: ?? ...
    the latest one is to ask a 17 yr old - "what do you think?"

Quote Originally Posted by House
    the latest one is to ask a 17 yr old - "what do you think?"
    Haha. I get that one.

If housing prices stabalizes because of the Euro crisis but Mr K says its coz of his policies, then I also don't know what to say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by august
    his easing refers to hdb
    can invest in hdb meh?
    Can, in 1995 I brought a 3 room HDB for my in-law. They rent a 2 room HDB for $100 a month from HDB. I brought the 3 room with $30,000 grant and paid $65,000 for the unit. I help my in-law to get a loan of 25 years and paid HDB $194 every month for 25 years. The value of the unit now is $300,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    Can, in 1995 I brought a 3 room HDB for my in-law. They rent a 2 room HDB for $100 a month from HDB. I brought the 3 room with $30,000 grant and paid $65,000 for the unit. I help my in-law to get a loan of 25 years and paid HDB $194 every month for 25 years. The value of the unit now is $300,000.
    How did HDB allow you to buy a flat from them on behalf of others? Even if you bought for yourself and let your in laws stay, why is there a need for them to rent a 2 room flat from HDB? Today, the policies have changed so so much... very different already.

Alternatively, he can claim that coz of his CMs and policies, he averted many families from financial hardship and bankruptcy cause they saw this risk looming in the horizon.

Twist and turn easy...doesn't matter the cause or effect, what matters is how many voters believe what each party is selling...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    If housing prices stabalizes because of the Euro crisis but Mr K says its coz of his policies, then I also don't know what to say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by House
    Now then i know where the Barberella spoof come from wakakakak

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    How did HDB allow you to buy a flat from them on behalf of others? Even if you bought for yourself and let your in laws stay, why is there a need for them to rent a 2 room flat from HDB? Today, the policies have changed so so much... very different already.
    I paid money, house under their name. My father-in-law have no fixed income and mother-in-law a housewife, they have two girls. When they are old I have 50% of their problem, so why not make it 100% of my gain.

My parents sold their 3 room to my brother which I disagree but they still go ahead. Now I have to think of a way to buy another 3 room for them another 100% gain. But this time a bit difficult because cannot take loan under their name, studio return too low, have to think a bit more this time.