Thread: Pure Cluster House Projects

Default Pure Cluster House Projects

Im a cluster house lover and start this thread to share with fellow forumers that cluster house is worth considering...what I mentioned here is based on my knowledge and also my personal opinion. ... Of course, price and your preferences are some of the major considerations as well.

Two good articles you can read for references.

http://www.hotnewproperty.sg/fewer-c...ngapore-market

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/prope...landed-housing

Supply of cluster house/townhouse has been cut in condo development which make all pure cluster housing development into consideration for foreigners (can buy but needs LDAU's approval) if they want to buy. This of course is due to limited supply.

Cluster houses and some new terrace house development like Luxus Hills, Pavillion Pk for eg, are about 3 storey high plus attic or roof terrace. So if you have weak knees, this is out for you or from another angle, you don't always keep walking to your rooms right?? So it might still be ok for some as if you have big family, the different levels do offer privacy to a certain extent

I have seen Mont Timah, Seahill, The Woods, Wood Haven, Palm Isles, and some more (all cluster houses I viewed), and I have also seen those inter terrace landed. In terms of usable PSF, some say cluster house are so much smaller than normal terrace but when u think of it, how small is small? 4 storey (cluster house) compare to 3 storey (terrace) of course, the 4 storey one will be smaller size per level if we talk about similar size of builtin PSF. this one, it all depend on your preference, how big you want your living room to be, or how big you want your rooms to be and so on. But we should compare the builtin area if you are considering cluster house or terrace.

I would think pure cluster housing development offers more value. As mentioned above, as the supply of town houses are cut in condo development, if a foreigner were to consider buying such unit, then they might also consider pure cluster development due to limited choices but having said that, prior approval is required. Most town houses in condo development are selling at a very high price and purely because foreigner can easily buy. But if getting approval is not that difficult, would this still be a strong selling point that justify such high price? If you look at propertygiru, just for comparing sake,
    (all new development lh99)
    Woodhaven - $3mil (3.3k sqft). In Condo dev. North
    Seahill - $4.5mil (3.5k sqft). In Condo dev. South West
    The Woods - $1.9mil (4k sqft). Pure cluster. West
    Palm isles - $2.6mil (3.7k sqft). Condo dev. East

If you have seen them all, then your choice might be very clear...

And compared to condo, even for OCR is talking about 1000psf or more, then obviously if you have a big family, pure cluster house is definetly better choice in terms of PSF(builtin) and assuming you want those facilities. And besides, you have 2 car Pk lots in most of the cases.

Just my personal views.....

Liked!

I have not seen all, so am curious on the "obvious" choice. I have keen interest in mont timah due to nature

there is a difference between town house and cluster house.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    Liked!

I have not seen all, so am curious on the "obvious" choice. I have keen interest in mont timah due to nature
    You mean u like monkeys around your compound??
    Yes, frankly, I like the environment and every morning u can go breath in good air and climb the mountain...but, you can buy 2 units in The Woods.....Mont Timah = 3.9mil.

I have personally made an offer for a cluster house in a full cluster house development but kana rejected so I totally understood your points but I'd also like to share about my views on the negative aspect which I've considered too. It'll be fun if you go into your car in the basement and forgot to take some things from your master bedroom in the 2nd storey, meaning you have to climb 3 storeys up and down, you'd probably forget about going to retrieve what you forgot. Also, the many flights of stairs are actually land area you can hardly use but you have paid for it. Anyway, I thought I could live with these therefore I made that offer. Since this is a discussion forum, I'd just share my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I have personally made an offer for a cluster house in a full cluster house development but kana rejected so I totally understood your points but I'd also like to share about my views on the negative aspect which I've considered too. It'll be fun if you go into your car in the basement and forgot to take some things from your master bedroom in the 2nd storey, meaning you have to climb 3 storeys up and down, you'd probably forget about going to retrieve what you forgot. Also, the many flights of stairs are actually land area you can hardly use but you have paid for it. Anyway, I thought I could live with these therefore I made that offer. Since this is a discussion forum, I'd just share my opinion...
    Will you consider LH cluster house?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    Will you consider LH cluster house?
    I treat cluster house like condo therefore I'd only consider LH cluster house if its v near MRT. Otherwise a NO NO.

some extracts for your reading

Strata landed homes attract a following
    Cluster housing combines features of landed homes with common facilities.

Sat, Mar 05, 2011
    The Business Times
    By Wendy Tang and Peng Poh Soon
    LANDED properties shone brightest in the private residential properties category in 2010 when prices soared by some 30.8 per cent year on year (based on the Urban Redevelopment Authority's property price index) compared to non-landed properties which appreciated by 14.0 per cent. Prices of detached houses took the lead, increasing by 37.6 per cent year on year while the prices of semi-detached and terrace houses went up by 26.3 per cent and 26.1 per cent respectively.
    For the whole of 2010, there were a total of 543 strata landed property sales, excluding enbloc sale transactions. This was slightly higher than that in 2009 when about 511 strata landed units were sold. Average transacted prices of strata landed housing increased by 12 per cent to 28 per cent for freehold and leasehold properties respectively. While prices of apartments increased by some 15 per cent in general, strata landed housing, in particular leasehold properties, performed better.
    Strata landed houses are low-rise landed residential properties that do not come with land titles but are instead strata titled. In some instances they may also be known as cluster housing for those in landed locations while those in mixed landed or non-landed developments are called townhouses.
    Legally, the ownership structure of strata landed housing is similar to condominiums where the land in the development is shared among all owners and subjected to procedures like voting being required on issues such as major alterations and addition works, election of a management committee or disposal of property whether in part or whole.
    The concept of strata landed housing has been around for 18 years since it was introduced in 1993. The intent was to add variety and choice for home buyers who prefer to live in landed housing but would like to enjoy communal facilities such as gyms, clubhouses, swimming pools and security services within a gated community.
    Broadly, strata landed housing can include any one or a combination of bungalows, semi-detached houses or terrace houses within a development and should be located in designated landed housing areas.

I treat cluster house like condo therefore I'd only consider LH cluster house if its v near MRT. Otherwise a NO NO.
    typical investor mindset would be near MRT. If i were to buy a condo for investment, thats what I would be looking at as well. But a cluster house is different. The buyer could be different and they might not want to pay that premium to be near MRT...typically the premium can easily get themselves another luxury car.

Most of landed ppl would have a few cars or maybe at least 1 for discussion sake. So they would rather look for exclusiveness than to get so close to MRT which maybe they would not be using.

my opinion, i could be wrong...

its a different asset class. If its LH, then opt for condo. Should still go for freehold bah.

Actually at one stage I did consider cluster housing in particular Daisy Petals n Kiara10. However after much deliberation, I decided against it.
    Some of my reasons......
    Small community so must be on very good terms with neighbors to live harmoniously and make decisions about maintaining common property. But what if neighbors are inconsiderate n of a different frequency?
    No mcst, so who is going to employ security guard, cleaner etc?
    Have to employ someone to do all these things n again have to get cooperation and agreement among neighbors.
    So I can't imagine myself having to live my life so closely with neighbors.
    I don't like house with basement.
    I remembered during one of the floods, a maid almost drowned in her room in the basement in one of the cluster house.
    I don't like to open my window n see my opposite neighbor' unit just right across.
    I can't live with swimming pool immediately outside my unit.

extracted for your reading...

New way to live – Cluster-landed Housing

Private landed home lifestyle with condominium facilities and benefits. That’s what you get with the new cluster-landed homes sprouting across the island.
    Eleven@Holland cluster-landed housing

Boutique developer Clydesbuilt Group will launch Eleven@Holland, a cluster-landed housing project off Old Holland Road in District 10, this weekend.
    Prices at the project, which comprises 82 strata- titled semi-detached units, will start from $1,050 per square foot (psf).
    Units at Eleven@Holland comprise solely of four- and five-bedroom houses ranging from 3,681 sq ft to 4,348 sq ft in size.
    Knight Frank, which is marketing the project, said that Eleven@Holland is modelled after a luxurious resort villa.
    In keeping with the resort theme, the project will be filled with lush landscaping and water features.
    Eleven@Holland luxury resort-style living with condo facilities

And unlike with traditional landed homes, residents in Eleven@Holland can look forward to extensive condominium facilities such as a clubhouse with gymnasium at the basement, as well as entertainment areas such as lounge corner, a barbeque corner and a 30 metre lap pool.
    Added Knight Frank: ‘Another lesser-known attraction for cluster-housing projects is the higher rental yield compared to conventional landed homes or condominium. This is because expatriate families, especially those with young children, like the fact that they are living in a spacious house, yet at the same time, enjoy the condo-like facilities. Most importantly, there is security and proper management of the estate.’
    Eleven@Holland is expected to obtain its temporary occupation permit by the end of 2014.

think this is beside columbarium

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    its a different asset class. If its LH, then opt for condo. Should still go for freehold bah.
    Well it really depends on your purpose for buying the cluster house. If its for rental, then MRT is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11
    think this is beside columbarium
    but also next to a big open field, which many today do not know that it was a cemetery.