Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDB is NOT an Asset

Default HDB is NOT an Asset

If you are in the illusion that owning a HDB is having an asset, please wake up:

1) Banks don't accept it as collateral, so your title deed is worthless;
    2) Creditors cannot grab your HDB even if you go bankrupt (good!);

Need experts to share the following:
    3) Once divorced within MOP, do you need to sell your flat to HDB Board if you are not eligible for singles scheme (<35 years old, or 2 PRs);
    4) How about if the owner passes away, will the children need to sell (cannot own 2 HDB by inheritance).

In summary, HDB is more like your clothing - for consumption, not a real asset.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I've long realized cars are not assets, now I need to add one more.

Whether it's an asset depends on how you use it.

3. Technically need to sell. Not too sure whether you can buy your share from the spouse.

4. For compassionate reasons, I have a friend whose parents have passed and his brother still has the flat, unmarried and in his twenties.

Default Get money from HDB

Can I re-finance my fully paid up HDB to get some money (of CPF)?

If not, never pay up your HDB.

Thanks,
    Richard

Default Within MOP cannot sell

My wife's friend is getting divorced. She was told they can only sell to HDB because it is still with MOP. Do I get it wrong?

Thanks,
    Richard

Technically, it is an asset. Just because you can't use it for collateral doesn't mean it is not an asset. It can produce value (rent out) and therefore, it fully qualified as an asset.

Your point 1 is directly related to point 2. The Government don't want creditors to claim your HDB so you have a place to stay even if your ass get sued. I think we have to give credit to the Government for this.

So if no creditor can claim your HDB, you can't use it for collateral. But it is 100% an asset. There is no argument about it.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    If you are in the illusion that owning a HDB is having an asset, please wake up:

3) Once divorced within MOP, do you need to sell your flat to HDB Board if you are not eligible for singles scheme (<35 years old, or 2 PRs);
    4) How about if the owner passes away, will the children need to sell (cannot own 2 HDB by inheritance).

Thanks,
    Richard

If not, never pay up your HDB.

Thanks,
    Richard
    if you take a loan from HDB, i'm pretty sure there isn't any re-financing option (there's only a flat rate linked to CPF OA interest)

for private bank loans, i think it's possible.

Thanks,
    Richard
    yes, cant sell in the open market if divorce and still within mop,or <35.

if parents passed away, and inherit a hdb. either one got to sell own or parents hdb. cannot hold onto 2 hdb.

*etc a previous case, tanjong pagar hdb sold at valuation becos of inherit and own its hdb. and court order to sell within a timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    Whether it's an asset depends on how you use it.

3. Technically need to sell. Not too sure whether you can buy your share from the spouse.

4. For compassionate reasons, I have a friend whose parents have passed and his brother still has the flat, unmarried and in his twenties.
    4. allowed under Orphan Scheme.

How abt inheriting a HDB but staying in Pte and then renting out the HDB?

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71

if parents passed away, and inherit a hdb. either one got to sell own or parents hdb. cannot hold onto 2 hdb.

*etc a previous case, tanjong pagar hdb sold at valuation becos of inherit and own its hdb. and court order to sell within a timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    How abt inheriting a HDB but staying in Pte and then renting out the HDB?
    sell the former.

It s just a roof, never a asset.

Accordingly to robert kiyosaki, your HDB is an asset if it doesn't take money out of your pocket. So when you rent it out, and your rental income > monthly serving of HDB mortgage loan, then its an asset. When you finally sell it at an appreciated value, it gives back more than you bought it so its also considered an asset (provided you must sell it). Just that it has loads of restrictions but an asset nonetheless under the right conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71

if in case of inherit, lets say younger brother has no hdb/condo, older brother has private condo, will court split share of HDB to both younger and older brother (i.e. force them to sell and split the proceeds), or younger brother will inherit the whole HDB?

I don't know who is Robert. I only know what I studied my Uni.

Assets are economic resources. Anything tangible or intangible that is capable of being owned or controlled to produce value and that is held to have positive economic value is considered an asset. Simply stated, assets represent ownership of value that can be converted into cash (although cash itself is also considered an asset).

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Accordingly to robert kiyosaki, your HDB is an asset if it doesn't take money out of your pocket. So when you rent it out, and your rental income > monthly serving of HDB mortgage loan, then its an asset. When you finally sell it at an appreciated value, it gives back more than you bought it so its also considered an asset (provided you must sell it). Just that it has loads of restrictions but an asset nonetheless under the right conditions!

in my opinion, anything not fully paid is not an asset...
    it is still considered a liability if there is still outstanding mortgages....

Quote Originally Posted by iwantgizmos
    This thinking is technically wrong.

The property is an asset. And loan is a liability.
    Value of asset can go up without a corresponding increase in liability.

Liability can go down (eg inflation).

Net of the asset and liability is the equity of the property.

Dont pray pray hor!

Office Boy got study accounting one...

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by iwantgizmos
    Not really true in my opinion, anything generating positive cashflow is an asset as long as the income minus costs outweigh the liabilities.

Even say a sub-leased lease?
    Like I lease a space (cld be commercial) and then rent that for a positive cash-flow. So that counts too?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTan
    Not really true in my opinion, anything generating positive cashflow is an asset as long as the income minus costs outweigh the liabilities.

Even with a fully paid HDB/PC, no doubt it appreciates in value but if u are residing in it & there are monthly expenses to it right, so liability or asset?
    Till u cash out or when u kaput then next generation benefits from this asset.

So Yellow cab is an asset coz can generate income...heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    Even with a fully paid HDB/PC, no doubt it appreciates in value but if u are residing in it & there are monthly expenses to it right, so liability or asset?
    Till u cash out or when u kaput then next generation benefits from this asset.

So Yellow cab is an asset coz can generate income...heh heh
    It is still an asset because your are residing in it and deriving value from it (in this case it is intangible in nature).

You need to pay rent to have a roof if you don't have this fully paid hdb right?

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Even say a sub-leased lease?
    Like I lease a space (cld be commercial) and then rent that for a positive cash-flow. So that counts too?
    A lease (short-term) is normally not considered an asset because you don't own the property (ie, risk and reward still lies with the landlord).

A long term lease can sometimes be classified as an asset. But this is more complicated and need a series of tests to determine.

Those who know accounting will know what I mean....

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    I don't know who is Robert. I only know what I studied my Uni.

Assets are economic resources. Anything tangible or intangible that is capable of being owned or controlled to produce value and that is held to have positive economic value is considered an asset. Simply stated, assets represent ownership of value that can be converted into cash (although cash itself is also considered an asset).
    Get to know Robert. He's one of the reason why I'm into property investment (just an ikan bilis though). He's having a conference in Singapore next month... . If I don't remember wrongly, he has some 4500 properties around the world.

Who dunno Robert? Robert aka 萝卜commonly known as 菜头 or carrothead

Robert Toru Kiyosaki (born April 8, 1947)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEJA4-8WiWU

Not expert, but try to answer
    3) Yes, u must sell, unless u still can form the family neuclus, ie single parent with children
    4) yes, u must sell, no way u can own two HDB flats

Just checked with banks, no way.

My wife's friend is getting divorced. She was told they can only sell to HDB because it is still with MOP. Do I get it wrong?

Thanks,
    Richard
    I think so. Sell back to HDB at cost.

Default Never fully pay up your HDB

The mistake I've made was fully paid up my HDB - I thought I own the "asset".
    1) Now I cannot re-finance to get cash/CPF;
    2) Bank don't accept it as collateral.
    3) Government agency does NOT accept it as proof of "asset" (regardless that I have the title deed). To your surprise? To my surprise as well!

So tell me what kind "asset" this is.

Market is smarter, no wonder it is selling at something like 50% discount (comparing with a PC with the same LH99, no swimming pool, no security guard, etc).

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. If you are in indeed "renting" an HDB, why in a hurry to pay all the rentals. How silly I am. I just hope others can learn from my lesson.

3) Government agency does NOT accept it as proof of "asset" (regardless that I have the title deed). To your surprise? To my surprise as well!

Market is smarter, no wonder it is selling at something like 50% discount (comparing with a PC with the same LH99, no swimming pool, no security guard, etc).

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. If you are in indeed "renting" an HDB, why in a hurry to pay all the rentals. How silly I am. I just hope others can learn from my lesson.
    Well our Singapore system is a weird system. If paying off your HDB allows you to get 80% LTV for 2nd property and the outstanding amount for your HDB payoff is less than the additional 20% for your 2nd property, then by all means pay off to qualify you for a larger loan amount! In that sense, its still a plus point. At half price from a typical PC, a HDB is already greatly subsidized public LH living so don't expect to get out of it what a PC can offer. According to your definition, HDB is half an asset then because of rental opportunity!

Yeah. That is how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    This thinking is technically wrong.

The property is an asset. And loan is a liability.
    Value of asset can go up without a corresponding increase in liability.

Liability can go down (eg inflation).

Net of the asset and liability is the equity of the property.

Dont pray pray hor!

Office Boy got study accounting one...

DKSG

I don't see any issue. You own the asset, you can sell it. What is the issue here? In fact, it is a good measure so people still have a roof even though they are bankrupt. Benefit 99% of the population. Anyway, they sell to you at 50% off, what more you want?

I am not surprised at what HDB tell you because it has been said many many times HDB cannot be used as collateral because no one can repossess your HDB. I thought this has been all over the news over and over again?

Thanks,
    Richard

Ha ha ha ... rich wang hopes he can borrow money from the bank using his HDB as collateral to gamble in stock or MBS

This is exactly what the garmen is trying to prevent ... this garmen is trying very hard not to take care of the poor and old, if homeless lagi jialat
    Ride at your own risk !!!