Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to stop the shoebox craze?

Quote Originally Posted by price
    food for thought, what will happen to the overall property market in Singapore if all singles are allowed to buy HDB now? (Taking away the 35 years of age.)
    Not sure abt others, but i darn cock sure vote for PAP mext election!!!!!

Eh wait a min.". U means just open up age limit, but those holding pvt still Cant buy??? Then MM prices will plummet.....l?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Not sure abt others, but i darn cock sure vote for PAP mext election!!!!!

Eh wait a min.". U means just open up age limit, but those holding pvt still Cant buy??? Then MM prices will plummet.....l?!!!!!
    no only removal of the family nucleus rule.

I.e. all singles are allowed to buy now regardless of age.

PC/HDB rules still applies.

I think prices of HDB up
    MM FALL

no only removal of the family nucleus rule.

I.e. all singles are allowed to buy now regardless of age.

PC/HDB rules still applies.

I think prices of HDB up
    MM FALL
    shouldnt affect much as long as rental demand is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    shouldnt affect much as long as rental demand is there.
    True... Granted mostly are for investment and lease out...

Default Why Shoebox

For me it was price that made me buy Shoebox. I am happy with it and I think there will always be people look for this type of property.

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd
    For me it was price that made me buy Shoebox. I am happy with it and I think there will always be people look for this type of property.
    Dear price, what have you done....!!!!!

Dear price, what have you done....!!!!!
    actually im a part time property agent! persuaded many to buy shoeboxes!

actually im a part time property agent! persuaded many to buy shoeboxes!
    Ic. No wonder so free to tcss wit me everyday

Aiya, just add in the 5 year MOP for unit below 700 sq feet. Sure demand will drop

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    Aiya, just add in the 5 year MOP for unit below 700 sq feet. Sure demand will drop
    All new purchase subject to 4yrs MOP now what... Agents been using the term interchangeably with SSD anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd
    That's right. Nowadays ppty are so high, not much people can afford to pay for bigger floor area. Normally, it is the final purchase price that most people's look at it and not the $psf, so developers are smart, they build smaller units and priced high high where most of the purchasers only look at the affordability without looking at $psf.

HDB resale flats are also getting more and more expensive and not everybody is eligible to buy direct from the HDB, so inorder to own his/her ppty, is to go for the MM unit which is within their means. Actually, it is nice to know that those people who bought the MM unit didn't try to stretch their budget, otherwise ..............
    Last edited by irisng; 11-05-12 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen
    Why not change the policy to: only singles are eligible to buy new MM?
    That should solve the problem of worrying that couples don't want to have kids cos their apartment is too small. If they still want MM, they can buy resale MM.
    IMHO, that's only an excuse, staying in a MM unit also can have children. Nowadays, people only give birth to one or two, unlike older times, a football teams. Maybe should set a min size for the MM unit, so that the place is livable.

Actually it's *people* who are saying that *other people* will choose not to have kids if the apartment is too small. All the kaypohs!
    I don't think min. size should be set, but that showflats should reflect the actual size, floor plans should be drawn to scale and developers not be allowed too much *room* for changes in the actual unit.

Let buyers determine whether they want to buy or not. E.g. people who spend most of the week working overseas may just need a small room / studio to sleep in. Why should they be forced to buy a larger place because *other people* have to be protected from buying without knowing what they're buying?

Money goes into MM, car, holidays, etc. and therefore need to work harder and no time and strength left for making next generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    IMHO, that's only an excuse, staying in a MM unit also can have children. Nowadays, people only give birth to one or two, unlike older times, a football teams. Maybe should set a min size for the MM unit, so that the place is livable.

Since a large portion of the buyers for shoebox apartment comes from people living in HDB flats, MND could enact a law requiring them to sell their HDB flats after they receive their keys to their PC. The demand for shoebox apartment will then be greatly reduced. The new ruling will force serious HDB upgraders to buy bigger PC for own stay instead of for investment.

Resale HDB flats will eventually become more affordable since all HDB upgraders will now have to sell their flats. First timers will now have the option of buying affordable resale flats and thus prices of new BTO flats and EC would be moderated.

It may be too simplistic a solution to tame the growth of shoebox apartments but I think it may just work.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerful
    Interesting way of putting things into 'perspective' .... on the other hand, you can also see it as not penalising singles, but rather trying hard to encourage more couples & more children

Basically, a society can't have too many singles else it's on the rd of 'extinction' or end up getting more foreigners to migrate here rite ...
    Can't assume that those who are single and buy their own apartment are or will remain childless.

Why do we want to do more to encourage the lower income families to have children? If they don't want, leave them be and move on to target the next group: those who can afford to buy private property before age 35 are exactly the type of people that SG needs to raise children. These are the people with money and/or brains.

Improve availability of childcare and provide subsidies to middle to higher income earners.
    Although this may seem unfair, this will encourage low income earners to work towards earning more. They will spend their time trying to earn more money rather than keep making babies - which puts them in an even more difficult position to afford a good standard of living.

food for thought, what will happen to the overall property market in Singapore if all singles are allowed to buy HDB now? (Taking away the 35 years of age.)
    By allowing singles to buy HDB (of coz they need to have money to buy), birth rate could improve. Won't a man/woman be more willing to marry and have children with someone who already owns a home?
    Couples who can afford to buy only by combining income probably won't want to have children so soon because they can barely afford to buy a home.
    Note: People who can afford to buy private property - excl the filthy rich - may hold back their purchase because they hope to find a partner and qualify to buy an EC.

Its a choice. But singlehood is being marginalised by policy. Get it?

If you support or pro family, auto will penalised singlehood. Unless you also give reasonable support to this segment.
    Agree... no such thing as a pro- without an anti-

more mm good for the economy, in hk ppl rather stay out & spend till it's time to go .

All new purchase subject to 4yrs MOP now what... Agents been using the term interchangeably with SSD anyway.
    MOP means own stay. No rent out. Just like HDB.

Pte ppty for MOP then it's not pte anymore liao.
    Those below 3 feet underground got 15yrs MOP.

There is no right nor wrong. Different people has different wants.
    Can't assume that those who are single and buy their own apartment are or will remain childless.

Why do we want to do more to encourage the lower income families to have children? If they don't want, leave them be and move on to target the next group: those who can afford to buy private property before age 35 are exactly the type of people that SG needs to raise children. These are the people with money and/or brains.

Improve availability of childcare and provide subsidies to middle to higher income earners.
    Although this may seem unfair, this will encourage low income earners to work towards earning more. They will spend their time trying to earn more money rather than keep making babies - which puts them in an even more difficult position to afford a good standard of living.

By allowing singles to buy HDB (of coz they need to have money to buy), birth rate could improve. Won't a man/woman be more willing to marry and have children with someone who already owns a home?
    Couples who can afford to buy only by combining income probably won't want to have children so soon because they can barely afford to buy a home.
    Note: People who can afford to buy private property - excl the filthy rich - may hold back their purchase because they hope to find a partner and qualify to buy an EC.

Agree... no such thing as a pro- without an anti-

MOP means own stay. No rent out. Just like HDB.
    I was referring to new sales of uncompleted units which wont be finished until like 4yrs later anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    There is no right nor wrong. Different people has different wants.
    I know.
    I think it's about time the government gives people more freedom to choose instead of always being a nanny to those who refuse to grow up and wise up (by having repressive policies) at the expense of the others who can take care of themselves.

Tempted to put evergreen on TODO list liao... But i a bit scared.... Rather fierce n fiesty
    Is this a gay joke?

Is this a gay joke?
    Of coz it is gay. But not a joke... It really Can Be DONE, In the spirit of the Obama office... Are you goodlooking? Are you young? Do you own a few properties? Then you eligible for a place on my To DO most sought after bachelor list...

No lah, I dont qualify
    Why obama office?

No lah, I dont qualify
    Why obama office?
    Which part dont qualify? I willing to nego wakakaka... As for Obama you no read news on his support for gay marriage? Anyway, to me, marriage is OVER RATED be it straight gay or whatever.

Define young?
    I don't own a few properties

Define young?
    I don't own a few properties
    Young means less than 40.... The guy currently No. 1 on my list is only like 24 I think....!!!!!

How young are you uncle?

How young are you uncle?
    Born 70s....

Born 70s....
    so young. turned gay after mid-life crisis?