Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobs

Default Jobs

If you have the following jobs to choose, which one will you choose and why?
    1) Pilot
    2) Bank (Investment)
    3) Engineering
    4) Property Agent

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    1) Pilot
    2) Bank (Investment)
    3) Engineering
    4) Property Agent
    Got more choice or not... 4 only, very limited leh.....

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Got more choice or not... 4 only, very limited leh.....
    No more already.

No more already.
    Ok so how about this...

A pilot with an engineering degree that does investments in banks while moonlighting as a property agent in his free time.

why dont have teacher, policeman?

Ok so how about this...

A pilot with an engineering degree that does investments in banks while moonlighting as a property agent in his free time.

Waaa...this pilot so free one har?

1) Pilot
    2) Bank (Investment)
    3) Engineering
    4) Property Agent
    u preselecting career choices for your kids?

in order of priority
    1) pilot, 2nd easiest job. no need to upgrade every year (where got new aircraft every year?). the hardest part of any flight is landing. any kid can takeoff a 747. it is the landing that is difficult.
    2) bank. hardest job in terms of hours put. potentially earn the most too. however, be prepared to sacrifice family time and morality.
    3) property agent, easiest job. if lucky, property sell itself. income unstable though.
    4) engineering. ah, the noble engineer. every society needs engineers and toilet cleaners. engineers need to upgrade every year given the technology change. very troublesome for the salary earned.

1) Pilot
    2) Bank (Investment)
    3) Engineering
    4) Property Agent
    Whatever happened to Mrs Chong?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

in order of priority
    1) pilot, 2nd easiest job. no need to upgrade every year (where got new aircraft every year?). the hardest part of any flight is landing. any kid can takeoff a 747. it is the landing that is difficult.
    2) bank. hardest job in terms of hours put. potentially earn the most too. however, be prepared to sacrifice family time and morality.
    3) property agent, easiest job. if lucky, property sell itself. income unstable though.
    4) engineering. ah, the noble engineer. every society needs engineers and toilet cleaners. engineers need to upgrade every year given the technology change. very troublesome for the salary earned.
    Care to enlighten why bank got morality challenges?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Whatever happened to Mrs Chong?
    Sorry, who is Mrs Chong?

Be the next MP for Hougang SMC.

in order of priority
    Wa you are smart leh, but not that I preselect for him, it is his own selection. I forgot to add in policeman also, it is his last choice. His girlfriend wants to be a teacher. August, your 2 suggested choices are also in our list, cheers.

He likes to be a pilot so much but unfortunately he is short-sighted. Next will be in the bank sector as he likes analysis of market condition but he doesn't like to go round "pulling" customers leh.
    Last edited by irisng; 15-04-12 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Be the next MP for Hougang SMC.
    Alamat, not so ambitions lah.

Haha... I think not so easy to be pilot lah...

This is what I gather from my pilot friends.

Attrition rate is very high and not many make it thru all the way. Of course Air Force more stringent than commercial ... I think for commercial at the moment it takes about 4.5 to 5 years from time of joining to appointment as a co-pilot.

You may be a doctor, lawyer or accountant before(and SQ does have quite a few of these professionals as pilots) but you still have to go thru' the whole nine yards to qualify....

The job is also under scrutiny all the time, there quarterly simulator assessment/training/tests to ensure skills and knowledge are maintained and improved upon. Failing such tests may mean your licence can be revoked and you may lose your job.

Among all the 4 jobs listed, I think the pilot has greatest direct responsibility to life. When there is engine trouble while flying over the Pacific, you just can't pull over and check it out. I also don't think any kid can take-off a 747 lah...

in order of priority

in order of priority

Kind of agree with this, tho i'll put doctor (can be those open clinic type) as 1st choice.... high salary, got chance to upgrade, never will be obsolete, no retrenchment, respectable.... should have listen to parents when younger and study hard to become doctor.....

Alamat, not so ambitions lah.
    Ambitious? I think its suicide.

Wa you are smart leh, but not that I preselect for him, it is his own selection. I forgot to add in policeman also, it is his last choice. His girlfriend wants to be a teacher. August, your 2 suggested choices are also in our list, cheers.

He likes to be a pilot so much but unfortunately he is short-sighted. Next will be in the bank sector as he likes analysis of market condition but he doesn't like to go round "pulling" customers leh.
    Then be financial ANALyst lor.

Sorry, who is Mrs Chong?
    You never watch tv? MOE ad won top prize for Viewers Choice competition leh.

Quote Originally Posted by shellshox
    Kind of agree with this, tho i'll put doctor (can be those open clinic type) as 1st choice.... high salary, got chance to upgrade, never will be obsolete, no retrenchment, respectable.... should have listen to parents when younger and study hard to become doctor.....
    doctor not in the choices listed leh.....

If you allow your son to be pilot with SIA (aka commercial pilot), then be prepared of the promiscuous lifestyle.

Teachers are relatively stable job but in recent times, teachers are one of the most difficult profession... low salary (compared with other professionals like doctors, dentists, bankers, property agents, etc.) but have to be an administrator, counsellor, teacher, childcare custodian all rolled into one. Not a nice job like its portrayed in TVs.

Property agents must require some form of being bashed by others everywhere. He must be thick skinned and be willing at times to tell 'lies' in order to be proficient in that job and make a sustainable living out of it. Also working hours is generally restricted to late afternoons and night time.

Bankers' cycle is high low high low high low... so its highly unpredictable but when times are good, you'll smile even in your dreams.

Engineering is subjective. Depending on which sector of engineering. Maritime engineering seem to be the next big thing in Singapore. Can consider... turn over rate is high in some sectors so must avoid those sectors. Also, Engineering is relatively versatile. Engineering degree can become any of the above profession should one decides on a mid life career switch. Banker to be engineer v difficult. Teacher to be banker also v diff, etc. You get what I mean. Engineering is my preferred choice.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    You never watch tv? MOE ad won top prize for Viewers Choice competition leh.
    Only watch 7pm show during weekdays while having dinner. Make use of the advertisement time, either drink water, wash bowls or visit toilet, kekekekekek.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    If you allow your son to be pilot with SIA (aka commercial pilot), then be prepared of the promiscuous lifestyle.

Teachers are relatively stable job but in recent times, teachers are one of the most difficult profession... low salary (compared with other professionals like doctors, dentists, bankers, property agents, etc.) but have to be an administrator, counsellor, teacher, childcare custodian all rolled into one. Not a nice job like its portrayed in TVs.

Property agents must require some form of being bashed by others everywhere. He must be thick skinned and be willing at times to tell 'lies' in order to be proficient in that job and make a sustainable living out of it. Also working hours is generally restricted to late afternoons and night time.

Bankers' cycle is high low high low high low... so its highly unpredictable but when times are good, you'll smile even in your dreams.

Engineering is subjective. Depending on which sector of engineering. Maritime engineering seem to be the next big thing in Singapore. Can consider... turn over rate is high in some sectors so must avoid those sectors. Also, Engineering is relatively versatile. Engineering degree can become any of the above profession should one decides on a mid life career switch. Banker to be engineer v difficult. Teacher to be banker also v diff, etc. You get what I mean. Engineering is my preferred choice.

Actually I have discouraged him to be a pilot too, he will have lesser time with family especially to his future wife.

I don't think he is fit to be a property agent also because he is not thick skinned but that will be his last choice if he couldn't find any job.

Agree that banker has high and low time if solely depends on commission. I have a friend, didn't even completed his Sec 4, by chance recommended by his friend to sell credit card for a particular bank, can earn up to about $10K of commission per month + basic pay. But he worked very hard for it. Previously, he was just a construction worker supervisor earning about $1k+. I wonder with this type of commission, can he still apply for BTO (4/5 rooms) flat. Does it take commission into consideration?

My son is in the Environmental Engineering course. He did told me that if he works for a bank now, next time it will be difficult for him to switch to Engrg line again but because Bank has an uncapped salary if you worked very hard for it.

Only watch 7pm show during weekdays while having dinner. Make use of the advertisement time, either drink water, wash bowls or visit toilet, kekekekekek.
    That ad is really long leh. Like mini drama. You cant miss it...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_u...zOHRPqus&gl=US

My son is in the Environmental Engineering course. He did told me that if he works for a bank now, next time it will be difficult for him to switch to Engrg line again but because Bank has an uncapped salary if you worked very hard for it.
    It is not easy to be a banker. It can be quite a cut-throat environment. If he is not thick-skinned and having good presentation skills, then it may not suit him. There is a lot of organizational politics as well. The older he gets, the less secure his job. There will be many younger ones out there with more energy and fresh ideas who could overthrow him. Whenever the management changes, he will have to adapt to the new people or resign. Nowadays banks can be subject to mergers and acquisitions as the financial sector is quite volatile.

The "uncapped salary" type of banker may have to do certain high-risk things to achieve it. Take the example of the lady banker who is detained in China.

You have to judge how is his character. For some people, a slow and steady job with lower pay may be more suitable than a high-flying high-stress job with tough performance indicators and demanding bosses.

It is not easy to become a pilot, nor a good investment banker.

my childhood dream used to be a pilot too! but then it is really not so easy.

Since ur son is already in Uni, i'd think being a fighter pilot is out of the question (need to be in Army + selected for OCS and pass COMPASS test).

Commercial pilot like 1 of the reply above mentioned, u probably gotta get him to work for a couple of years first. SIA hires cadet officers at least 25 years of age. I myself is 1 year away from that .

I have investment banker friends who are doing really really well. Most bought nice fancy cars within 1-2 years of employment. Avg salary 10-20k per month depending on commission. I used to work for a bank too!

I'm biased against being an agent, (property or insurance). Ultimately these jobs require a certain type of character and personality to do well. You yourself mentioned that you don't think your son is good enough for these jobs. So better gain some experience else where first! since these are jobs where u can join any time in ur life

I know nothing much about the engineering field. 1 thing for sure, guys my age are all staying away form this field these days. Look at how local universities are trying to hard to attract engineering students these days.

during my parent's age, it was harder to get into an engineering course than a business 1. These days, students who don't do well in their studies (O/A levels, or poly) then no choice choose engineering

He is in NUS. Oil and gas engineering is the money spinner but occupational hazard. Got friends who are paid bonus of 18 months.
    Actually I have discouraged him to be a pilot too, he will have lesser time with family especially to his future wife.

I don't think he is fit to be a property agent also because he is not thick skinned but that will be his last choice if he couldn't find any job.

Agree that banker has high and low time if solely depends on commission. I have a friend, didn't even completed his Sec 4, by chance recommended by his friend to sell credit card for a particular bank, can earn up to about $10K of commission per month + basic pay. But he worked very hard for it. Previously, he was just a construction worker supervisor earning about $1k+. I wonder with this type of commission, can he still apply for BTO (4/5 rooms) flat. Does it take commission into consideration?

IMHO,

Your son is old enough to decide for himself what he wants to do. You should learn to let go and give him support and advice if required but not decide for him.

I can't imagine a pilot saying something like "I am a pilot because my mommy said so....", please get me of that plane immediately... I'd rather swim or walk to my destination.

PAP did a very good programming to Singaporean, all we know is job. We love to work for others.

http://www.littlespeck.com/content/p...ple-060423.htm

IMHO,

Your son is old enough to decide for himself what he wants to do. You should learn to let go and give him support and advice if required but not decide for him.

I can't imagine a pilot saying something like "I am a pilot because my mommy said so....", please get me of that plane immediately... I'd rather swim or walk to my destination.
    Looks like we have a pilot here.

"a running graph of the progress of an airplane flight involving the distance covered, fuel consumed, and time elapsed and enabling the pilot to determine the equitime point"