Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Property price will increase

Default Property price will increase

STI could hit 3,400 by year-end: Report

04:46 AM Mar 05, 2012
    SINGAPORE - The Straits Times Index (STI) could hit the 3,400 mark by the end of the year if all goes well with the US economy.

According to a report by Credit Suisse, Singapore shares that make up the STI could also see a slowing in the rate of downgrades.

"As with other markets, there is a fairly good fit between the STI and US jobless claims that are our proxy for global/US growth.

"This relationship also suggests potential upside for the STI towards 3,300 to 3,400," the report said.

But while Credit Suisse's projection suggests a potential upside, performance still lags the historical average.

"We do note that even with this 13 per cent upside, price-to-book for Singapore rises from the current 1.49 times (the price-to-book ratio) to 1.68 times versus its historical average of 1.75 times since 2000."

Nevertheless, Credit Suisse found that the rate of 2012 estimated consensus for earnings per share downgrades over the past three months are under 1 per cent per month versus downgrades of 2-4 per cent per month in the prior four months.

With optimism that the US economic recovery is on track, Credit Suisse favours cyclical stocks over defensive stocks.

"While we could see some near-term profit-taking as cyclicals have outperformed defensives by 18 per cent since the lows of Sept 30, 2011, we believe valuations and potential further upside in the US ISM (the Institute for Supply Management's factory index) still favours cyclicals over defensives," it said.

Credit Suisse's picks include Olam, Noble, STX OSV, Keppel and Sembcorp Industries.

It highlights that the biggest discount is with STX OSV, which it estimates to be trading at a discount of 172 per cent by comparing relative price-to-book with relative return on equity (ROE).

It also noted discounts of 23 per cent and 9 per cent for Keppel Corp and Sembcorp Industries, respectively. "While undervalued stocks may be undervalued because of rather poor fundamentals, among cyclicals Olam and Noble, price-to-book are the closest to 2008-09 lows, while STX OSV, Keppel and SCI are trading on discounts on our price-to-book versus the ROE valuation model," it added.

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...ar-end--Report

Dow Jones and STI will re bounce and close abv 13,000 and 3000 respectively by tomorrow. Let's wait and see.

At this rate, we may even see an increase in property prices, starting from June 2012.

The US economy is finally on the way to recovery.

Let's see if the predictions are right.

US Stocks Riding High Ahead Of Fed Meeting Announcement

--Stocks rise to multiyear highs after solid domestic economic data
    --Sales at U.S. retailers grew at the fastest pace in five months in February
    --DJIA, S&P in pursuit of fifth-straight session advance
    --Europe markets rally, backed by better-than-expected German data

The Wall Street Journal as at 13 March 2012
    http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...13-710268.html

I think it is just the US election effect, which is gradually cascading to our properties and stock market this year, temporarily.

http://ramkimeena.hubpages.com/hub/US-Economy-recovery

Quote Originally Posted by singaporecondo99
    Dow Jones and STI will re bounce and close abv 13,000 and 3000 respectively by tomorrow. Let's wait and see.

At this rate, we may even see an increase in property prices, starting from June 2012.

The US economy is finally on the way to recovery.

Let's see if the predictions are right.

nah..the stock price recovery is simply a result of recent QE measures and election effects from around the world. After which the big fall will come.

With as the SSD ABSD etc etc, I am actually expecting property prices to continue south for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadey
    nah..the stock price recovery is simply a result of recent QE measures and election effects from around the world. After which the big fall will come.

With as the SSD ABSD etc etc, I am actually expecting property prices to continue south for the rest of the year.
    SSD ABSD are only within Singapore. If investors and industries worldwide are doing well why will these stamp duties affect buying sentiments? Property prices will only fall when people can't hold on to their properties anymore. Losing their jobs, getting huge pay cut etc. If Singapore allows that to happen, it doesnt benefit our Economy. Companies will be losing money, investors, businesses will be shutting down in Singapore. What good does this bring?

Quote Originally Posted by price
    SSD ABSD are only within Singapore. If investors and industries worldwide are doing well why will these stamp duties affect buying sentiments? Property prices will only fall when people can't hold on to their properties anymore. Losing their jobs, getting huge pay cut etc. If Singapore allows that to happen, it doesnt benefit our Economy. Companies will be losing money, investors, businesses will be shutting down in Singapore. What good does this bring?

1) Singapore is not the only place for real estate investor. If USA or the world is indeed on the path to a REAL recovery, I am sure real estate funds will be rushing back to USA to pick up the bargain instead of wasting time with ABSD and over inflated property price.

2) Not sure if you have read about global shipping giants cutting capacity and losing money due to poor global trade activity. This my friend is a clear signal that although the stock price is moving, goods are not.

3) Let not get ahead of ourselves by saying that if property prices fall everything will be doom and gloom, because property prices always move in cycle. And the reason that you fear that will happen is a good indication on how this country has become so dependent on property to generate wealth, and this is not sustainable. If we dont put a stop to it, we will end up like America.

4) if you have studied the CMs, you should know by now that the days of making quick bucks from property is over and it is time to concentrate on the basic to growth this economy.

5) Isnt it funny that when property prices come down and people starts to get worried about pay cut etc or vice versa, but on the other hand when property prices rises faster than the income growth, no one is worried about how the lower income Singaporeans is going to survive. Simple answer to that is Singaporeans is generally a selfish society. BUT, I think our government is smart enough to introduce these cooling measures before it get out of hand. There is saying what goes up must come down, but in Singapore, prices can only go up, cannot come down.

6) Contrary to what you said, if property prices do come down, it will actually help lower business cost and making us more competitive. this will really help our local industry and our export.

Having said that, I am sure our government is not planning to crash the market, but I do foresee that their intent for property is to have flat or marginal growth for the next 4-5 years so that real income can catch up.

There's too many ppl relying mainly on property for their living. It's time for the "flippers" and property agents to look into alternative and sustainable jobs that can add value to our economy and society. The days of easy pickings from property are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    There's too many ppl relying mainly on property for their living. It's time for the "flippers" and property agents to look into alternative and sustainable jobs that can add value to our economy and society. The days of easy pickings from property are gone.
    Property is a good egg nest.
    It is good for retirees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I agree with this.

But a bubble seems to be building up in the new launches at historical high prices. How to get decent returns on them? If there are, I will be very happy (as an owner of investment property myself). But then I have a regular non-property income. What about those who depend solely or mainly on property returns?

I agree with this.

But a bubble seems to be building up in the new launches at historical high prices. How to get decent returns on them? If there are, I will be very happy (as an owner of investment property myself). But then I have a regular non-property income. What about those who depend solely or mainly on property returns?
    This is true.
    One must have a regular non property generating income.
    Not wise to solely rely on property for income, especially if one has school going kids.

but nest doesnt lay eggs. it only helps keep the eggs safe and warm.

wah this one sounds like my plan for early retirement...but I believe in longer term investment

Even for retirees at this point in time, it may not be wise to rely solely or mainly on property. In the event of an oversupply, they may find the income will drop or even worse, unable to find tenants for a few months or many months. Since the assets are accumulated by then, should diversify into other sources of income.

in the long term, property is still a better hedge against inflation...
    my parents-in-law is 1 eg...all the money put in the bank and sought of losing value.. now tell me that they should have buy this house that house in the past... i also prefer property investment but most important dont overstretch cause things can change

Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    my parents-in-law is 1 eg...all the money put in the bank and sought of losing value.. now tell me that they should have buy this house that house in the past... i also prefer property investment but most important dont overstretch cause things can change
    Yup, couldn't agree more!
    I have one friend who bought resale Bishan HDB near MRT in 1998 for high price. After MOP, did not move cos like the place very much. Wife nagged him to move cos all her friends upgraded to condo but he said want to save up to buy FH landed. To placate his wife, he bought a 5 series BMW. Till this day they still live there and their aim of a FH landed is still a dream...........

Even for retirees at this point in time, it may not be wise to rely solely or mainly on property. In the event of an oversupply, they may find the income will drop or even worse, unable to find tenants for a few months or many months. Since the assets are accumulated by then, should diversify into other sources of income.

I actually think that property is a good asset for retirement, however considering the cost of living here, I think i might consider getting a semi-d in Iskandar as retirement home and rent out my properties in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    My parents also kept shares and the dividends from the shares are giving them a good income in their retirement.

I actually think that property is a good asset for retirement, however considering the cost of living here, I think i might consider getting a semi-d in Iskandar as retirement home and rent out my properties in Singapore.
    Is it safe for old folks to live there?

Wont be as safe as Singapore I presume. But if you are living in gated community it should be ok. But I am fine with that. Maybe just get a big dog, have proper security system and drive a Proton or something.

Wont be as safe as Singapore I presume. But if you are living in gated community it should be ok. But I am fine with that. Maybe just get a big dog, have proper security system and drive a Proton or something.
    And dress in rags!

i like the idea, but problem is the relatives, friends, children and the grandchildren how? either go in every week to visit them or they come out every week.. quite 'leh chey' leh..

u mean property agts r not necessary? their job dun add value? LOL

y bother abt flippers....ever since 16% ssd was introduced.....flippers r gone for gd....wakakaka

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Not safe at all for old folks. Old folks are always the first target for the snatch thiefs, burglers, robbers etc. Malaysia is not like Singapore. Even living in gated community you still need to drive some distance away outside of the community to buy your groceries (even assume you cook everyday at home and don't need to go out of your house). Those very big gated community become useless as security can't even remember whether you are residents in there, everybody also can go in, on the pretend of repair/maintenance of residents' houses etc.

Dogs are useless as robbers can give them poison meat & they then die from eating them (happened before in Malaysia).

You think their security guards can be trusted? Many cases of security guards collaborating with the robbers/burglers in Malaysia!

Live in Malaysia only when you die die have no choice because can't afford to even live in HDB flats, otherwise better forget about it. They also don't have disability-friendly or old-folk friendly amenities. Singaporeans just don't appreciate how good life they have in Singapore until they go live else where for a year.

Having said that, I am sure our government is not planning to crash the market, but I do foresee that their intent for property is to have flat or marginal growth for the next 4-5 years so that real income can catch up.
    y bother to tok so much? which ppty cycle is sustainable? the fact is it is a cycle oredi tells u its not sustainable.....wakakaka

anyway, latest cm5 is a corrective measure and not cooling measure....tats y resale px negative for 2mths liao

I am actually expecting property prices to continue south for the rest of the year.
    but I do foresee that their intent for property is to have flat or marginal growth for the next 4-5 years so that real income can catch up.
    Wow u covered all direction that prices can go. Flat, up marginally, south.

And the reason that you fear that will happen is a good indication on how this country has become so dependent on property to generate wealth, and this is not sustainable. If we dont put a stop to it, we will end up like America.
    When did i mention anything about fearing that prices will come down? I'm simply stating the fact that it takes more than CMs to bring prices down. Of course I will wanna buy cheap property too.

I agree with this.

which other jobs/businesses/passive income generator r recession proof?

This is true.
    One must have a regular non property generating income.
    Not wise to solely rely on property for income, especially if one has school going kids.

it shd be like this.....one must have some other passive income generator.
    not wise to solely depend on ur job/businesses for income especially if one has school gg kids.....

u r so wrong

ppty generate income....so it does lay eggs

perhaps GOLD fits ur bill very well.....it helps to keep the eggs(cash) safe and warm but doesnt lay egg(generate cash)

so which other sources of income is recession proof and will not see a dip in income?