Thread: PM Lee's lawyers take Temasek Review Emeritus editor to task

Default PM Lee's lawyers take Temasek Review Emeritus editor to task

TRE Richard Wan in hot soup:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...184021/1/.html

PM Lee's lawyers take Temasek Review Emeritus editor to task
    By Ng Jing Yng, TODAY | Posted: 20 February 2012 0814 hrs

SINGAPORE: Four days after sociopolitical website Temasek Review Emeritus (TRE) editor Richard Wan made a first public appearance at a social media forum, he was served a lawyer's letter on Sunday by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong for carrying allegedly defamatory remarks on his website.

This is the second time in the past week that a political leader has sent a legal warning to a website regarding allegedly defamatory comments.

In TRE's case, Mr Lee's lawyers are asking Mr Wan to retract a Feb 16 post and to publish an apology on his website within the next four days.

The five-page letter, which was sent by Drew and Napier's Senior Counsel Davinder Singh, made reference to an excerpt of a post on TRE which questioned Madam Ho Ching's position in Temasek Holdings.

In the letter, Mr Singh said the excerpt "alleged that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong secured or was instrumental in securing the appointment of his wife, Mdm Ho Ching, as the chief executive officer of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited for nepotistic motives".

"This is a false and baseless allegation. As is publicly known, Mdm Ho Ching was appointed on merit and through proper process."

The letter also outlined the circumstances behind Mdm Ho's appointment and highlighted past instances where other media outlets had to apologise for similar allegations.

Mr Singh also noted that Mr Wan confirmed his identity as TRE's editor after attending a public forum on Wednesday.

Mr Lee has requested that TRE immediately remove the article and all related comments as well as to publish an apology and the undertaking. But Mr Singh added: "Although our client has suffered damage and incurred costs as a result of the libel, he has not made any demand for damages or cost." Legal proceedings and damages and costs will nonetheless be pursued if TRE does not comply, he added.

Mr Wan, who is one of the five editors behind TRE but is the only one based here, told Today that the post was made by one of their contributors.

He added that TRE is "very sorry for causing unnecessary duress to the PM" and will comply with all the remedial actions.

Mr Wan said that TRE vets through all its articles before publishing them but it is challenging to vet through the feedback received each day. Going forward, Mr Wan said that they will be "more careful" before any publication.

Last Tuesday, Foreign and Law Minister K Shanmugam sent a lawyer's letter to well-known blogger Alex Au, asking him to remove from his website allegedly defamatory comments about the minister. Mr Au did so, saying he took Mr Shanmugam at his word.

Nominated Member of Parliament Eugene Tan, who is a law academic at the Singapore Management University, said that the approach taken by the political leaders has been consistent in protecting their reputation especially when it comes to defamatory remarks.

He noted that Mr Lee and Mr Shanmugam are not asking for damages and costs. "This perhaps suggests that the political leaders have recognised the new political environment we are in, and the need and value of a greater diversity of views being expressed by Singaporeans. Benefit of the doubt is extended in the first instance but it is not to be regarded as a licence for defamation," he said. - TODAY

Freedom of speech is not allowed here as the general public is extremely impressionable and will believe anything they read.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Freedom of speech is not allowed here as the general public is extremely impressionable and will believe anything they read.
    Freedom of speech is allow here but Freedom of speech with no accountability is not allow here. The general public who are not so vocal is extremely sensitivity to unaccountable speech.

Wonder if the Richard Wan is the same as the richwang in this forum?

Default The returns from the official Web Site

"One-year Total Shareholder Return (TSR) by market value was 4.60%.
    Five-year and 10-year compounded TSRs were 7% and 9% respectively,
    while 20-year TSR remained robust at 15%."

http://www.temasekreview.com.sg/down...eview_2011.pdf

You can draw the conclusion by yourself.

Thanks,
    Richard

Default There are 11 Richard Wang in Singapore Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Wonder if the Richard Wan is the same as the richwang in this forum?
    Luckily I saw this, I don't have an army of staff to scan the Internet for me.
    A quick search shows there are 11 Richard Wang in Singapore. I am not the Richard Wan receiving PM Lee's lawyer letter.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. Nowadays must clarify, keeping quiet means in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Luckily I saw this, I don't have an army of staff to scan the Internet for me.
    A quick search shows there are 11 Richard Wang in Singapore. I am not the Richard Wan receiving PM Lee's lawyer letter.

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. Nowadays must clarify, keeping quiet means in trouble.
    That's good to know.

The allegations seem obvious but such things just can't be published. I just have a question, is it just a coincidence that ppl heading those important organizations are own ppl?
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    TRE Richard Wan in hot soup:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...184021/1/.html

PM Lee's lawyers take Temasek Review Emeritus editor to task
    By Ng Jing Yng, TODAY | Posted: 20 February 2012 0814 hrs

SINGAPORE: Four days after sociopolitical website Temasek Review Emeritus (TRE) editor Richard Wan made a first public appearance at a social media forum, he was served a lawyer's letter on Sunday by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong for carrying allegedly defamatory remarks on his website.

This is the second time in the past week that a political leader has sent a legal warning to a website regarding allegedly defamatory comments.

In TRE's case, Mr Lee's lawyers are asking Mr Wan to retract a Feb 16 post and to publish an apology on his website within the next four days.

The five-page letter, which was sent by Drew and Napier's Senior Counsel Davinder Singh, made reference to an excerpt of a post on TRE which questioned Madam Ho Ching's position in Temasek Holdings.

In the letter, Mr Singh said the excerpt "alleged that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong secured or was instrumental in securing the appointment of his wife, Mdm Ho Ching, as the chief executive officer of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited for nepotistic motives".

"This is a false and baseless allegation. As is publicly known, Mdm Ho Ching was appointed on merit and through proper process."

The letter also outlined the circumstances behind Mdm Ho's appointment and highlighted past instances where other media outlets had to apologise for similar allegations.

Mr Singh also noted that Mr Wan confirmed his identity as TRE's editor after attending a public forum on Wednesday.

Mr Lee has requested that TRE immediately remove the article and all related comments as well as to publish an apology and the undertaking. But Mr Singh added: "Although our client has suffered damage and incurred costs as a result of the libel, he has not made any demand for damages or cost." Legal proceedings and damages and costs will nonetheless be pursued if TRE does not comply, he added.

Mr Wan, who is one of the five editors behind TRE but is the only one based here, told Today that the post was made by one of their contributors.

He added that TRE is "very sorry for causing unnecessary duress to the PM" and will comply with all the remedial actions.

Mr Wan said that TRE vets through all its articles before publishing them but it is challenging to vet through the feedback received each day. Going forward, Mr Wan said that they will be "more careful" before any publication.

Last Tuesday, Foreign and Law Minister K Shanmugam sent a lawyer's letter to well-known blogger Alex Au, asking him to remove from his website allegedly defamatory comments about the minister. Mr Au did so, saying he took Mr Shanmugam at his word.

Nominated Member of Parliament Eugene Tan, who is a law academic at the Singapore Management University, said that the approach taken by the political leaders has been consistent in protecting their reputation especially when it comes to defamatory remarks.

He noted that Mr Lee and Mr Shanmugam are not asking for damages and costs. "This perhaps suggests that the political leaders have recognised the new political environment we are in, and the need and value of a greater diversity of views being expressed by Singaporeans. Benefit of the doubt is extended in the first instance but it is not to be regarded as a licence for defamation," he said. - TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    The allegations seem obvious but such things just can't be published. I just have a question, is it just a coincidence that ppl heading those important organizations are own ppl?
    What seems co-incidental to you might not be co-incidental to others.
    ""This is a false and baseless allegation. As is publicly known, Mdm Ho Ching was appointed on merit and through proper process." - Mr Singh..

You want to doubt him? Wait.. get lawyer letter too

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    ""This is a false and baseless allegation. As is publicly known, Mdm Ho Ching was appointed on merit and through proper process." - Mr Singh..

todays society is increasingly not about what u know but who u know

Default Positive Side

Let's look at it from the positive side:

By-Election will be ON, and will be sooner than some have expected (...or has the pre-champion already started?)

HDB COV will go down very fast (by increasing the valuation?)

PC will be stable.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    todays society is increasingly not about what u know but who u know
    not who u know, but who u sleep with.

Not doubting that she has merit, just that it is too big a coincidence, causing one to ponder.
    Quote Originally Posted by focus

Default TR Emeritus publishes apology to PM Lee

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...184426/1/.html

TR Emeritus publishes apology to PM Lee
    Posted: 22 February 2012 1001 hrs

SINGAPORE: Socio-political website TR Emeritus (TRE) on Wednesday published an apology to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong for an article that made a false allegation about the appointment of Madam Ho Ching as the chief executive officer of Temasek Holdings.

Madam Ho is the wife of PM Lee.

Temasek Holdings is an investment arm of the government.

The letter of apology published on TRE on Wednesday was written by its editor, Mr Richard Wan.

It comes three days after Mr Lee's lawyers served a letter asking TRE to apologise and remove the post.

Mr Wan said that the website published the article on or about 16 February.

He admitted and acknowledged that the allegation is false and "completely without foundation".

He also unreservedly apologised to Mr Lee for the "distress and embarrassment" caused to him by this allegation.

Mr Wan said TRE has removed the article and the comments in response to the article.

He said it'll not make any further allegation to the same or similar effect.

- CNA/ck

Wonder when our society can move away from having lawsuits for such matters. If I am the prime minister of a country, it is a no brainer for me to let my children succeed me and to appoint my other children and family members to important positions if they are capable. If people accuse me for nepotism, I just have to tell them I know and trust my family best so I recommended and appointed them...case close.

After this saga, they should just shut down the TR Emeritus (TRE) website, becos now toothless..

Website very informative, so should keep. It didn't benefit certain group of people doesn't mean it doesn't benefit the rest.